Rio Olympics USA WBB Finalists | The Boneyard

Rio Olympics USA WBB Finalists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stewie is the only college player in the list ....
My prediction: Not only will Stewie make the team, she will end up being a top producer when all is said and done. Even though she will be a professional by then, she'll still be the youngest and will make her mark emphatically!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Probably 4 UConn Alumni make the final roster. Not sure if Stewie makes the team as I think they need to take a young guard or two for future Olympic years.

Reaction Score
UConn has 6 people in the list:
Bird, Dolson, Charles, Moore, Taurasi and Stewie...

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Stewie will make the team. Especially if UConn wins its 4th in a row, she'll be more of a household name at that point. They need to get a mix of younger players in there to play with Bird, Catchings, Taurasi, etc on their last go-round. Stewie is the future!

I was really hoping MoJeff would get a chance.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just my opinion of course... Locks...

Bird, Taurasi, Delle Donne, Charles, Parker, Moore, Griner

Near Locks...

Fowles, Catchings, Whalen

That's 10 IMHO. Of the near locks, I just can't see any of them being left off the team. They have all proven themselves, and all have played terrific on the international scene, as well as in the WNBA. I get that they need to think about the future, but this is the Olympics. IMHO you don't add someone because you want to plan for the future. You can do that for the World Championships in 2018. By then I'm betting Jefferson gets looked at too.

Of the remaining 2 spots, I think 1 guard and 1 wing/forward. Geno likes versatile players. I would say it would come down to Sims, Diggins, Augustus, Stewie, Ogwumike, Loyd, McBride and McCaughtry. That's a lot of talent for just 2 spots. It's going to be incredibly hard for the committee and lots of fans will be disappointed I'm sure...

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting! I was thinking about this recently. If everyone is healthy, the field obviously is a little crowded in terms of internationally experienced players. By my count, 15 of the 25 finalists (Augustus, Bird, Catchings, Charles, Dupree, Fowles, Griner, McCoughtry, Moore, N. Ogwumike, Parker, Sims, Stewart, Taurasi, Whalen) played in the 2012 Olympics, the 2014 World Championship, or both. That doesn't even count the reigning WNBA MVP.

I don't envy those tasked with paring this group of 25 down to a final roster of 12.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
If Bird & Taurasi are locks, Catchings is a lock too.

USAB needs new blood on the team, and I think that is coming from the guard spots. With Charles, Griner, Moore, EDD, Stewart, & Ogwumike, the forwards and centers are pretty set for the next few cycles. The guards aren't.

I can see both Bird and/or Whalen being left off in favor of Sims/Robinson/Diggins. They need the experience.

Personally, I think Bird/Catch/Taurasi should have retired in 2012 to make room for the new ones coming in. Those are three valuable spots being taken by three legends who have nothing else to prove.

Reaction Score
The benefits of having the Olympic Coach in your backyard:

2016 U.S. OLYMPIC TEAM TRAINING CAMP TO BE HELD IN STORRS
UConn leads all universities with six finalists

COLORADA SPRINGS, Colo. Including 15 athletes who have earned a combined 41 Olympic and FIBA World Championship gold medals, 25 of the nation’s top women’s basketball players have been named as finalists for the 2016 U.S. Olympic Women’s Basketball Team. The 25 finalists were selected by the USA Basketball Women’s National Team Player Selection Committee, which will select the official 12-member U.S. Olympic Team later this year.

The University of Connecticut is heavily represented among the 25 finalists, which include Sue Bird (Seattle Storm), Tina Charles (New York Liberty), Stefanie Dolson (Washington Mystics), Maya Moore (Minnesota Lynx), Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury) and Breanna Stewart (University of Connecticut). Stewart is the only collegiate athlete to be selected as a finalist.

[MORE]

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA Basketball and Geno won't leave Bird off the team. She'll have to remove herself consideration before she doesn't make the team. That presumes she's healthy. I do agree that the final two spots should probably go with young guards for future World Championships and Olympics. Don't forget about January, she's a talented guard that should be considered.

If Bird & Taurasi are locks, Catchings is a lock too.

USAB needs new blood on the team, and I think that is coming from the guard spots. With Charles, Griner, Moore, EDD, Stewart, & Ogwumike, the forwards and centers are pretty set for the next few cycles. The guards aren't.

I can see both Bird and/or Whalen being left off in favor of Sims/Robinson/Diggins. They need the experience.

Personally, I think Bird/Catch/Taurasi should have retired in 2012 to make room for the new ones coming in. Those are three valuable spots being taken by three legends who have nothing else to prove.

Reaction Score
Im surprised Loyd is getting a look. Wish Mo was invited. Don't think either make it this time.

Reaction Score
Stewie will make the team. Especially if UConn wins its 4th in a row, she'll be more of a household name at that point. They need to get a mix of younger players in there to play with Bird, Catchings, Taurasi, etc on their last go-round. Stewie is the future!

Stewart will make the team but being young and/or a household name won't be the main reasons. She is one of the greatest basketball players in the world and would be competitive in the WNBA right now.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't know who should make the roster but I have a feeling that I will be irritated when all my favorites (Loyd, McBride, Diggins, Sloot) miss out. As long as they don't somehow leave out a healthy EDD. That would really send me over the edge.

Reaction Score
I don't know who should make the roster but I have a feeling that I will be irritated when all my favorites (Loyd, McBride, Diggins, Sloot) miss out. As long as they don't somehow leave out a healthy EDD. That would really send me over the edge.
The only way EDD does not make the team is if she is injured or not healthy. She is a lock as there is.

Reaction Score
While I don't know if UConn's second 5 is a top 10 team :) I'm sure that the USA second team is medal contender if the USA could field 2 teams to the Olympics.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
While I don't know if UConn's second 5 is a top 10 team :) I'm sure that the USA second team is medal contender if the USA could field 2 teams to the Olympics.
Wow, I was thinking the exact same thought. Scary!

Reaction Score
Anyone know if viewing any of the activities is possible?

Reaction Score
I think it's bizarre that they only considered people invited to last year's camp. Essentially, they're basing a lot of these decisions for a competition in August of 2016 on the play of these athletes in 2014. Obviously a lot can happen in two years! It seems illogical and unfair. One player that I think deserved a look is Kelsey Bone after her 2015 WNBA season (for which she earned the Most Improved Player award).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I was really hoping MoJeff would get a chance.

I really don't think that a 4th NC will have any impact on whether or not Stewart makes the team. Winning a 4th title is going to do little to advance Stewart's name recognition. However, she could certainly make the team based on her talent.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

The Olympic team should consist of the players who are the best at their positions. Bird, Catch and Taurasi should not step down, they deserve the right to be pushed out by better players. If the younger players are not ready to beat them out for a position, then they need to work harder over the next two years to be ready to play in the WCs to prepare themselves for the 2020 Olympics. Players who have spent 30+ years working to become the best players in the world should not be asked to step down.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The Olympic team should consist of the players who are the best at their positions. Bird, Catch and Taurasi should not step down, they deserve the right to be pushed out by better players. If the younger players are not ready to beat them out for a position, then they need to work harder over the next two years to be ready to play in the WCs to prepare themselves for the 2020 Olympics. Players who have spent 30+ years working to become the best players in the world should not be asked to step down.
In fairness, though, Maya has already surpassed Catch. Maya was the starter 2 years ago at the world championships and she's the better player. I still think it's nearly a slam dunk that Catch makes the team - she's retiring this year from the WNBA and this will probably be her last Olympics. No one works harder and I'd be hard pressed to point out who should/could replace her on the roster of 12... Which is why the list I compiled of locks and near-locks had 10 people on it. Not much room for anyone else...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom