Rio Olympics USA WBB Finalists | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Rio Olympics USA WBB Finalists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A few thoughts ...
As always, injuries will affect the roster. Players who were less than 100% in the WNBA season included Lindsay, Skylar, Seimone, and Chiney. They need to be back to 100% to get consideration.

Having seen the FIBA WCs in person, I thought our top 8 was very solid: Sue, Diana, Maya, Tina, and Britney as starters, with Lindsay, Nneka, and Seimone off the bench. I don't recall how well Candice played, but I think she did well. Angel unfortunately was out of control. Odyssey and Stewie played few meaningful minutes. I think, if healthy, the core 8 return, and Candace and Elena are added. That leaves 2 slots, probably for Stewie and a guard, possibly January. But squeeze Catch in there somewhere too.
I like your thought but 4 of the UConns are starters may get non-UConn fan's objection...lol

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like your thought but 4 of the UConns are starters may get non-UConn fan's objection...lol
Maya and Dee are probably the 2 best players in the world. Sue still runs a team better than anyone. After adjusting to guarding players on the wing in Turkey, Tina was a stud. I'd start Candace and bring Tina off the bench. I think those 4 have to be on the team. I think Stef is unlikely, and Stewie is a maybe/probable. She's a lot stronger and better than she was in 2014. She may be the most versatile player in the group. I'll be interested in seeing how she does against the vets.

Yeah, some folks may object. I do have 2 former LVs on my team, though.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Milford - I think you are spot on about the three, and would add, defending the three from at least four positions. I'll also add defending without fouls - like folks are learning this year in WCBB the 2 shots rather than 1 and 1 after five fouls can be a big problem throughout a game.

I agree about Angel - I thought she was great in London providing a spike in energy off the bench and being both disruptive defensively and effective offensively. In the WC she was trying to fulfill the same role and failed - out of sync with the team and out of control. That is why I left her off from my choices. Geno and she seem to have a nice rapport, but I think especially with all the other competition for spots her time on the NT is over.

There are likely to be some injuries between now and August - half of the foreign season for most of the team and half a WNBA season still have to be navigated before the Olympic break, so some 'certainties' especially with the older players may not be available. That is why I expect the final 'selection' to be more than 12 players, not unlike what happened with the WC team that started its European tour uncertain about Griner and I think EDD (?) and carried Stef and Jantel as insurance.

Reaction Score
When does the final roster need to be put together? I say this because Diggins is coming off an acl tear. You never know how she will perform when she comes back.

Reaction Score
Rio 2016
PG Sue Bird, Odyssey Sims
G Diana Taurasi, Jewell Loyd,
W Maya Moore, Tamika Catchings, Elena Delle Donne,
F Candace Parker, Nneka Ogwumike, Breanna Stewart,
P Tina Charles , Brittney Griner,

This team got veterans, youth and flexibility (as a lot of those players can play multiple positions)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Rio 2016
PG Sue Bird, Odyssey Sims
G Diana Taurasi, Jewell Loyd,
W Maya Moore, Tamika Catchings, Elena Delle Donne,
F Candace Parker, Nneka Ogwumike, Breanna Stewart,
P Tina Charles , Brittney Griner,

This team got veterans, youth and flexibility (as a lot of those players can play multiple positions)
Great offensively, just a little thin on muscular post defenders.

Reaction Score
If healthy, Bird, Catchings and Taurasi make the team. These women deserve to go out on their terms for all they have done for USA basketball.

Charles, Moore, and Parker are locks as holdovers from the 2012 games. Whalen and Augustus probably make it as well.

The four from 2012 I leave off are Mcaughtry and Fowles, with Cash and Jones not even being part of this pool of players. These four spots will be filled by locks Griner and Delle Done. The other two, in my brain, should be Stewart and Diggins although Sims wouldn't be a bad choice.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Everyone has a 'favorite' young guard, but none of them are saying 'I'm the next Bird' or 'I'm the next Taurasi'
Well, that would be pretty presumptuous of them. :cool:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I would take Seimone over Angel 24/7/365. It's that shot selection thing.

Regarding Stewie: She's a lot stronger now, but she is still pretty thin. Can she pound with the big girls?

Regarding Stef: I'm just pleased she is considered one of the best centers in America.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I would take Seimone over Angel 24/7/365. It's that shot selection thing.

Regarding Stewie: She's a lot stronger now, but she is still pretty thin. Can she pound with the big girls?

Regarding Stef: I'm just pleased she is considered one of the best centers in America.

Stewie was holding her own against Coates physically which surprised me. Coates is BIG. I thought Stewie would only finesse her but she was banging too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie is still thin, but she's gotten a lot stronger. Who other than Griner has a longer wingspan? Stewie is shooting .589 overall, .444 from the arc, and .853 from the FT line. Those numbers are competitive with Maya and Elena, who are the best in the business. She also has 90 assists to only 36 TOs and 73 blocks. She's far more advanced than she was in Turkey. Her versatility may allow her to play 3 positions in Rio.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score

In Istanbul in fact, the USA did have four of the 5 starters for all the games... Let's face it, USA's best are our best...

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Stewie is still thin, but she's gotten a lot stronger. Who other than Griner has a longer wingspan? Stewie is shooting .589 overall, .444 from the arc, and .853 from the FT line. Those numbers are competitive with Maya and Elena, who are the best in the business. She also has 90 assists to only 36 TOs and 73 blocks. She's far more advanced than she was in Turkey. Her versatility may allow her to play 3 positions in Rio.
I can see you are bullish on her chances of making the team!

People always talk about the sophomore leap. Stewie's done a senior leap--she is so much better this year than last. A virtuoso in recital.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly. My concern is Cambage.
We know Candace Parker and even Sylvia Fowles couldn't stop her in 2012. But a combination of Asjha Jones, Tina Charles, and fatigue did. Griner is not as strong, but the task may go to her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can see you are bullish on her chances of making the team!

People always talk about the sophomore leap. Stewie's done a senior leap--she is so much better this year than last. A virtuoso in recital.
I bet Stewie's exposure to the senior national team helped. I think Maya made the same kind of leap her senior year. Yes, she is like a woman among girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom