Rio Olympics USA WBB Finalists | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rio Olympics USA WBB Finalists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That may end up being true, it remains to be seen how she performs against pros and better competition. She struggled in the world championships two years ago and while I think she'll adjust fine as a pro, I don't think she has proven that she deserves to make the team over some other experienced pros who have excelled in the W, overseas, and with team USA. After this summer, that might not be the case.

For all the talk of "Geno doesn't decide the team," in 2012 both Swin Cash and Asjha Jones were named to the Olympic roster despite there being far more deserving non-UCONN players who were left off of the roster.

Regardless of all of this, I think there is little doubt that whatever roster is assembled, Team USA should cruise to gold once again.

If they are smart (and they are), Geno and USA Basketball does not want to turn into the NY Yankees of today. They had better be very concerned about the advancing AGE of so many players, before it catches up to them and bites them on the butt.

Just a few years ago, the Yankees were absolutely loaded with hard-to-beat All-Star talent- Jeter, Rodriguez, Teixeira, Sabathia, et al. But the Yankees (via dumb, long term contracts) locked themselves into too many great ball players who soon began showing their age and who were clearly on the downside of their once-great careers. The Yankees did not look ahead to their future, to young, up-and-comers. There was no youth movement, and the Yankees foolishly kept doubling down by acquiring 'great' older players (Ellsbury and Beltran) who were really good, but whose best years were behind them. The results were disastrous for the Yankees.

The USA National Team cannot afford to rest on its laurels, on its amazing achievements, and get complacent, standing Pat (sorry!) with the greats who have been so successful in past Olympics. Time marches ahead, and the young stars of today and the future (Stewart, Ogwumike, Simms, Moriah, :)et al.) must be served.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's funny, because I actually think Geno and McCoughtry have kind of an "odd couple" good rapport, from what I've read. Also, she led the team in scoring for the Euro Tour. I actually bet Geno would pick McCoughtry over Augustus for some reason (but of course it's possible both make it).

I was fortunate to attend the world championships in Istanbul with a few other boneyarders and attended every USA game. Angel did not play very well and there were games in which Geno seemed frustrated with her poor shot selection among other things. He actually pulled her from a couple of games because of her play.

Nneka, on the other hand, was outstanding.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
At center, I would take Griner, Fowles, and Charles (who can also play PF). At PF, I would take EDD (can also play SF, but I think this is her best position) and Parker for sure. So between those two spots you already have 5 players, which is probably all you want.

Realistically, Fowles gets left out and/or EDD is counted as an SF, which opens up another PF spot. Then, Stewart would have to beat out Dupree and both Ogwumikes. I think Stewart is better than Chiney. Not sure about Dupree and Nneka. She will surpass them in time but they have much more experience against elite competition.
I think Stewart is considered as much a SF as a PF with her mid-range and distance shooting. She is a hybrid like EDD and Parker who has developed that aspect of her game to a degree.
And yes, I think Uconn players do get an advantageous look by the committee over those who have not played for Geno because they already have an deep knowledge of his system, and practice time is so short. Swin made that team I think in the middle of a resurgence in her career - hadn't she just been MVP of the all-star game? Asjha made the team as a replacement for an injured player (Fowles?) and because of her versatility to fill multiple roles as the 12 man.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If they are smart (and they are), Geno and USA Basketball does not want to turn into the NY Yankees of today. They had better be very concerned about the advancing AGE of so many players, before it catches up to them and bites them on the butt.

Just a few years ago, the Yankees were absolutely loaded with hard-to-beat All-Star talent- Jeter, Rodriguez, Teixeira, Sabathia, et al. But the Yankees (via dumb, long term contracts) locked themselves into too many great ball players who soon began showing their age and who were clearly on the downside of their once-great careers. The Yankees did not look ahead to their future, to young, up-and-comers. There was no youth movement, and the Yankees foolishly kept doubling down by acquiring 'great' older players (Ellsbury and Beltran) who were really good, but whose best years were behind them. The results were disastrous for the Yankees.

The USA National Team cannot afford to rest on its laurels, on its amazing achievements, and get complacent, standing Pat (sorry!) with the greats who have been so successful in past Olympics. Time marches ahead, and the young stars of today and the future (Stewart, Ogwumike, Simms, Moriah, :)et al.) must be served.
I think you are right to some degree, but ... I think they really want to win Olympic golds and are not as concerned about the WCs - they do look at the team in four year cycles and see the WC as the stepping stone toward the next Olympics - they change coaches after the Olympics on new four year contracts. I think they probably treat the player choices in a similar way. I think they also want to maintain 'loyalty' because it is a two way street, and they don't want players deciding they'll take a three week holiday instead of trying out for the team.

The team is still full of young stars - it is just the backcourt that is aging, and interestingly enough, there are no young guards that have truly distanced themselves from their peers during the past six years. Everyone has a 'favorite' young guard, but none of them are saying 'I'm the next Bird' or 'I'm the next Taurasi'

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
PG Sue Bird, Lindsay Whalen, Courtney Vandersloot, Briann January, Danielle Robinson
G Diana Taurasi, Angel McCoughtry, Skylar Diggins, Seimone Augustus, Odyssey Sims
W Maya Moore, Tamika Catchings, Elena Delle Donne, Kayla McBride, Jewell Loyd
F Candace Parker, Tina Charles, Nneka Ogwumike, Breanna Stewart, Candice Dupree
P Brittney Griner, Sylvia Fowles, Jantel Lavendar, Chiney Ogwumike, Stefanie Dolson

These players you just have to take.
New faces of Women's Basketball. Sex appeal, etc...
Solid players....Insurance policy.
These 10, to me, are locks

The final two spots will come down to individual wants or taste.....
I just don't see them making the team. They probably show a lot of promise for the future but it's not in Rio.

Commander Generals...... do you need one or two? Taurasi fills this role also, so maybe none.

Another Center on Stage...... If you think big is the way to go, take Fowles. I think Griner, Charles and Parker can handle things down low

This family stays together......good players, above violet group but below orange group. I can't justify putting them on the team. I've got 4 low post players.

Youth movement..... Can actually play with the big girls and hold their own. Can they make an impact? Or just novelty pieces for future promotions. Why do I need them?

Flip a coin.... I like Odyssey Sims more than Diggins and another guard would not be a bad thing. But, I got two vets in Bird and Whalen to choose from also.

Flip a coin Part TWO...... Dupree, Dupree Dupree!!! I really think she should become an Ogwumike. I got McCoughtry, Augustus, Moore and Delle Donne. What's your angle?

If I take Bird ,then I would take :

Sims to be mentored by Bird (Diggins too)
or Stewart( to get mentored by Charles and Parker)

if I take Whalen (there's no mentorship in my mind( Bird's job)), then I go with
Stewart(same as above)
or Fowles.

Sims and Stewart or Sims and Fowles are my last combos

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think Stewart is considered as much a SF as a PF with her mid-range and distance shooting. She is a hybrid like EDD and Parker who has developed that aspect of her game to a degree.
And yes, I think Uconn players do get an advantageous look by the committee over those who have not played for Geno because they already have an deep knowledge of his system, and practice time is so short. Swin made that team I think in the middle of a resurgence in her career - hadn't she just been MVP of the all-star game? Asjha made the team as a replacement for an injured player (Fowles?) and because of her versatility to fill multiple roles as the 12 man.

Stewart, until this year, hasn't been an elite 3-point shooter, which is something I want from a wing on our Olympic team (34.7% career, 44.9% this year). If that 3-point shooting carries through the whole season at above 40%, I may change my mind. I also think that you want her closer to the basket to make use of her rebounding and shot blocking. But her versatility does get her extra points for sure.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The team is still full of young stars - it is just the backcourt that is aging, and interestingly enough, there are no young guards that have truly distanced themselves from their peers during the past six years. Everyone has a 'favorite' young guard, but none of them are saying 'I'm the next Bird' or 'I'm the next Taurasi'

Diggins was 1st team All-WNBA and couldn't get a look. Who knows, maybe she was horrible in training camp. But tell that to anybody you know who follows the NBA but not women's basketball. They'll be like, "what? how?" Folks will say the Olympic team is different and the priority is passing from the PGs, but then everyone thinks Vandersloot is a long shot. Sloot led the league in assists per game among guards for the last two years (1st overall in '14 and 2nd only to Parker in '15) . In four years, Sloot will be 30 and they'll say she's too old and she has no international experience.

Honestly, in my view, it is a clique, plain and simple. Once you are in, you are pretty much in and then the justification becomes circular. "We need Player X for her experience and leadership." Well, Player Y will never gain experience or develop leadership if you don't take her!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
PG Sue Bird, Lindsay Whalen, Courtney Vandersloot, Briann January, Danielle Robinson
G Diana Taurasi, Angel McCoughtry, Skylar Diggins, Seimone Augustus, Odyssey Sims
P Brittney Griner, Sylvia Fowles, Jantel Lavendar, Chiney Ogwumike, Stefanie Dolson

Don't see Skylar making this team. ACL injury was July. If it takes a full year to fully recover from an ACL she should be good but in reality she needs to be good now to perform well enough to make the team. Don't forget when Skylar was healthy Odyssey was ahead of her.
Don't see Geno going with only 1 pure (slightly aged) PG because he likes his ball pressure- a plus for Odyssey over Whalen
One versatile role/glue players should make the team among Dupree, McBride, Nneka

PG: Sue Bird, Odyssey Sims
SG: Diana Taurasi, Seimone Augustus, Kayla McBride
SF: Maya Moore, Elena Delle Donne, Tamika Catchings
PF: Candace Parker, Breanna Stewart
C: Brittney Griner, Tina Charles

This would set you up nicely with 5 first time & possible future Olympians in (Sims, McBride, EDD, Stewie, & Brittney).
5 likely last time Olympians ( Bird, Tuarasi, Catch, Seimone, & Candace)
2 (Maya & Tina) who will likely be still good enough to make the team in 2020.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The situation reminds me of the US Women's National Team in soccer with the roster make-up for both the World Cup and the Olympics. The sponsoring organizations respect and like their veterans at these events -- in this case, Rio -- and are looking at them like they're the last go-round for a number of players. In the case of the hoops team, I'm thinking of Catchings, Bird, Whalen and Taurasi.

Contrasted against that thought are Geno's comments that he brought a lot of guards in not just for this team, but for the future. That could be construed as ominous handicapping for Loyd, Vandersloot, McBride (K-Mac) Sims and Diggins, particularly if her recovery from knee surgery isn't quite there. As in "see 'ya once the Olympics are over...."

That said, I'd like to see the best for the team effort be chosen and if that can be a combination of experienced and youth pushing at the door so be it.
Let's just make sure Moore, Parker, Griner and EDD are on it. My only hope for a Domer inclusion, strangely enough, is somewhat counter-intuitive: K-Mac offers strong versatility at the 2-3 axis, is pretty tough underneath and will know/accept her role. (It will probably be for a future teams but one can always hope!)

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Don't see Skylar making this team. ACL injury was July. If it takes a full year to fully recover from an ACL she should be good but in reality she needs to be good now to perform well enough to make the team. Don't forget when Skylar was healthy Odyssey was ahead of her.
Don't see Geno going with only 1 pure (slightly aged) PG because he likes his ball pressure- a plus for Odyssey over Whalen
One versatile role/glue players should make the team among Dupree, McBride, Nneka

PG: Sue Bird, Odyssey Sims
SG: Diana Taurasi, Seimone Augustus, Kayla McBride
SF: Maya Moore, Elena Delle Donne, Tamika Catchings
PF: Candace Parker, Breanna Stewart
C: Brittney Griner, Tina Charles

This would set you up nicely with 5 first time & possible future Olympians in (Sims, McBride, EDD, Stewie, & Brittney).
5 likely last time Olympians ( Bird, Tuarasi, Catch, Seimone, & Candace)
2 (Maya & Tina) who will likely be still good enough to make the team in 2020.

Interesting...I was writing when you posted and came to the same conclusion on both Diggins and McBride. I don't think Sky will be ready yet, like you, and also think K-Mac's versatility will come in handy.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Diggins was 1st team All-WNBA and couldn't get a look. Who knows, maybe she was horrible in training camp. But tell that to anybody you know who follows the NBA but not women's basketball. They'll be like, "what? how?" Folks will say the Olympic team is different and the priority is passing from the PGs, but then everyone thinks Vandersloot is a long shot. Sloot led the league in assists per game among guards for the last two years (1st overall in '14 and 2nd only to Parker in '15) . In four years, Sloot will be 30 and they'll say she's too old and she has no international experience.

Honestly, in my view, it is a clique, plain and simple. Once you are in, you are pretty much in and then the justification becomes circular. "We need Player X for her experience and leadership." Well, Player Y will never gain experience or develop leadership if you don't take her!

Many of the same kinds of posts are made in regards to the U.S. Women's National Team in soccer over at the Equalizer (an excellent women's soccer site btw), whether it's the Women's Cup or upcoming Olympic Games when the rosters are smaller than the WC. It might be even harder to get in the door there...being on that team is a year-round paycheck.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I think the issue is Sims, Diggins, Sloot, January, and Robinson all are good, but not one of them has distanced themselves from the other - last time around it came down to Sims, but this time around it could be any one of the others - When Sue came into the team there was little doubt in anyones mind she was the right choice. Same for Taurasi. Whalen was a bit of a surprise at the cost of probably Kara Lawson, but she took her chance and really excelled. Yes it is hard to break in - because most of the ones who do stay around for 8 or 12 years. And that experience they gain really is different - you don't get a season to gel - go two and two in your first four games and that may be it. And 'training camp' is ten days not three weeks.

Reaction Score
I'd pick Bird, Taurasi, Moore, Parker, Griner, Whalen, Augustus, EDD, Stewie, Charles, Fowles, and Catchings. Thinking that it's hard to go wrong, though.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
have to completely laugh at this thread. Looks like UConn vs. Notre Dame loyalties. I just really wonder if there are way too many veterans, many of whom could be 1-2 steps away from an injury.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

These players you just have to take.
New faces of Women's Basketball. Sex appeal, etc...
Solid players....Insurance policy.
These 10, to me, are locks

The final two spots will come down to individual wants or taste.....
I just don't see them making the team. They probably show a lot of promise for the future but it's not in Rio.

Commander Generals. do you need one or two? Taurasi fills this role also, so maybe none.

Another Center on Stage. If you think big is the way to go, take Fowles. I think Griner, Charles and Parker can handle things down low

This family stays together.good players, above violet group but below orange group. I can't justify putting them on the team. I've got 4 low post players.

Youth movement..... Can actually play with the big girls and hold their own. Can they make an impact? Or just novelty pieces for future promotions. Why do I need them?

Flip a coin.... I like Odyssey Sims more than Diggins and another guard would not be a bad thing. But, I got two vets in Bird and Whalen to choose from also.

Flip a coin Part TWO. Dupree, Dupree Dupree!!! I really think she should become an Ogwumike. I got McCoughtry, Augustus, Moore and Delle Donne. What's your angle?

If I take Bird ,then I would take :

Sims to be mentored by Bird (Diggins too)
or Stewart( to get mentored by Charles and Parker)

if I take Whalen (there's no mentorship in my mind( Bird's job)), then I go with
Stewart(same as above)
or Fowles.

Sims and Stewart or Sims and Fowles are my last combos

My darn color blindness bites me in the tail again!!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think the issue is Sims, Diggins, Sloot, January, and Robinson all are good, but not one of them has distanced themselves from the other - last time around it came down to Sims, but this time around it could be any one of the others - When Sue came into the team there was little doubt in anyones mind she was the right choice. Same for Taurasi. Whalen was a bit of a surprise at the cost of probably Kara Lawson, but she took her chance and really excelled. Yes it is hard to break in - because most of the ones who do stay around for 8 or 12 years. And that experience they gain really is different - you don't get a season to gel - go two and two in your first four games and that may be it. And 'training camp' is ten days not three weeks.

Well, my problem is that there's only one spot for them all to fight over because the veterans' spots are locked in.

I don't like that we treat USAB like the Supreme Court in that spots only open up upon an existing member's retirement.

Should be more like the House. Every two years, each member is re-evaluated and has to re-earn their spot.

The analogy breaks down once you start considering gerrymandering but you get my point, I'm sure.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
"When I look at this list of athletes, we could split them down the middle and have two very competitive teams," Auriemma said. "We have a great mix of gold medalists and players who are hungry to play in their first Olympics. There is versatility at all positions. Our posts are the strongest we've seen in years, we have guys who can shoot, guys who can defend, and I'm just happy I don't have to make the decision as to who will be playing in Rio."

Yeah, rrrrrright

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I was fortunate to attend the world championships in Istanbul with a few other boneyarders and attended every USA game. Angel did not play very well and there were games in which Geno seemed frustrated with her poor shot selection among other things. He actually pulled her from a couple of games because of her play.

Nneka, on the other hand, was outstanding.

Amen to UConn Cat's post. As another who was in Istanbul. Angel's play in the World Championships did not serve the US very well. I don't believe she will be at the top of the list this year...

Dillon77

Reaction Score
have to completely laugh at this thread. Looks like UConn vs. Notre Dame loyalties. I just really wonder if there are way too many veterans, many of whom could be 1-2 steps away from an injury.

You mean the analogy to the USWNT didn't do it? :)
I fully expect when the team is selected to see some very familiar names who were once opponents but now represent the U.S. in Rio. And I'll be behind 'em a 100%. Would just hope they'd be joined by someone from South Bend! We'll see...

Reaction Score
I see that Stefanie Dolson made the list, but not Bria Hartley or Kaleena Masqueda-Lewis. Do you think that Bria and Kaleena were given any consideration, especially since Loyd, McBride and Diggins all made the list?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Amen to UConn Cat's post. As another who was in Istanbul. Angel's play in the World Championships did not serve the US very well. I don't believe she will be at the top of the list this year...
We saw the games the same way. As with Cat and Eric, I saw all 6 games in person. Angel was out of control and not an asset. As a result, her PT was limited. Everyone other than Stewie and Odyssey--who basically got only garbage time--outplayed Angel by a wide margin. I think her selection is problematic despite her obvious kills.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't remember USA cruising past Australia in the semifinals in London. I remember a game in which USA trailed at halftime, had no answer for Cambage in the first half and had a couple of superstars who wanted no part of the physical Opals. That game was won in the 2nd half by veteran players who've been in those pressure situations before and know what it takes to win. A fatigued Cambage also helped.

As for Cash and Jones, most certainly their relationship with Geno mattered. They know what he wanted and he trusted them. I'd also point out that Cash and Jones filled out the 11th and 12 roster spots where you want veterans who know their role, won't complain about playing time and have the maturity to deliver at a big moment in a big game. Asjha Jones did just that in the second half of the Australia game when, again, a superstar or two weren't interested in matching Australia's toughness.
I sat behind the Aussie basket in London in the first half (several rows up). Liz Cambage simply ate our lunch. She repeatedly got deep position against Parker and Fowles and scored easily. In the second half, Liz was fatigued, and Tina and Asjha bodied her to keep her out of the lane. That slowed their scoring and allowed Diana's baskets to give us the lead. It was a tense, tightly contested game.

The selection of Swin and Asjha reflected the fact that both had appreciable game back then and both knew Geno's system. No one outworked Swin Cash.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A few thoughts ...

While the primary goal is to win gold, a secondary goal is to develop players to win gold in future years. How those competing goals are addressed will be interesting and determine the selection of 2 or 3 players.

One key in international play is the 3-point shot. We need to be sure that we have that weapon. I think Sue, Diana, Elena, and Maya may give us enough.

As we all know, there are only a few teams that can challenge the U.S. USA Basketball staff will look at who the toughest teams are and select players who matchup well against them. If we need strong post play, for example, against Australia, the team has an extra center. If we need strong guard play, for example, against Spain, our team may be guard-heavy.

As always, injuries will affect the roster. Players who were less than 100% in the WNBA season included Lindsay, Skylar, Seimone, and Chiney. They need to be back to 100% to get consideration.

Having seen the FIBA WCs in person, I thought our top 8 was very solid: Sue, Diana, Maya, Tina, and Britney as starters, with Lindsay, Nneka, and Seimone off the bench. I don't recall how well Candice played, but I think she did well. Angel unfortunately was out of control. Odyssey and Stewie played few meaningful minutes. I think, if healthy, the core 8 return, and Candace and Elena are added. That leaves 2 slots, probably for Stewie and a guard, possibly January. But squeeze Catch in there somewhere too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom