Rent improvements | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Rent improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This is mainly about basketball because honestly I'm not as experienced with football games because of the above reasons. I've been to maybe 20 games. But in my opinion, the football student section is okay, but they just don't have much to cheer about. Our team just needs to start winning again.

I've said from the beginning we need a better student section organization. You've seen the Gampel student section, but if you were from Alaska and were dropped in during a game, you'd have no idea where it is. Our kids can't even wear their student section shirts to the game. It's either that or they don't have one because they were forced to buy the tickets from someone who won the stupid lottery, who also has the shirt (what is it with college kids and free shirts). You've seen the Kansas student section. Can you imagine the energy those kids feel among each other when they do their pregame stuff? Every time I watch a Kansas game, I want to be in there with those kids. No wonder they have Gameday come to campus like every year. We have the profile of a program that deserves a student section like that. It's like our kids somehow don't get that.

We need to get rid of the lottery system. Single file line, branching out at the doors with ID scanners. First come, first serve. You want to be on tv? Camp out. It's no big deal for kids at Cuse, UNC, Duke, OSU, etc.

Will never happen, but make the student section like the Pitt, MSU, Michigan (go figure, all great student sections) and have it loop low around to court.

Unfortunately a lot of this depends on the students themselves, who are all lazy sh!ts. I'd know; I used to be one.
They brought back the lottery? That's terrible!!!! They got rid of the lottery my senior year for basketball just in time for the '99 Championship run (no need for football. Memorial never sold out). We formed a line around the breezeway between Gampel and the Field House that went out the door and down Hillside Road. Coach Calhoun and some players stopped by and brought pizza for the fans outside. After a trip to Ted's or Fireside, those of use who were inside were feeling no pain whatsoever, either.

We also didn't have to worry about student section t-shirts. I remember my inventory of t-shirts increasing by about 15. I never had to purchase one from the Co-op because we got so many free t-shirts that were either just draped over the student seats or we got at the door. Nearly all of them were sponsored by IGA.

Reaction Score
Someone's never been to Garrigus on a Thursday night...

Or Willi Oaks like ever

And if you spent time on Fairfield 1st (Jungle) or Hunting Lodge when I was in school, you'd conclude that the entire population at UCONN were degenerate alcoholics. Of course if you were at Shippee or Fairfield 4th, you'd feel the exact opposite. I'm not trying to say that people don't party. I'm saying that people that party think everyone is partying, whether they are or not.

Reaction Score
I never wrote anyone up for drinking unless they were in the hallways or otherwise attracting attention to the floor in a way that could get all of us in trouble. I also know that NOBODY EVER went to a Football game, because why would you ever go to a I-AA football game? And people would kill to get into Gampel. And nobody EVER turned down tickets at XL, and found out how to get there by begging, borrowing, and stealing (this is 1989-1993). Football is just not part of the student culture at UCONN and never has been. An on-campus stadium would have been great for that. I have no idea how to fix that knowing that we will never build an on-campus stadium, other than winning (say what you want about Edsall, but we won at home nearly all the time) and playing teams like Michigan - "can't miss" opponents.

Hey now, there weren't many, and most of them were either friends, family or girlfriends, but there were people that went to games, in the early 90s, and as for football being part of the culture at UCONN, it most definitely was, prior to the Big East conference existence. In the 80s, there were a lot more people at games, than the time period you mention, and memorial stadium was no ghost town in the late 90s either.

Kind of funny, how when you win, people tend to show up, and when you lose, they don't.

When we get to point where we are winning, and looking at top 25 football - with us being the team in the top 25 - and we are having trouble getting fans into the stadium, then people need to address a problem. But right, now, people are manufacturing problems that don't exist. When we won, we sold tickets. When we were new, we sold tickets. We are getting older now - adn the newness is worn out, and we are 10-14 in the past two years, and really, 18-19 in the past three years, (Edsall's last included - which is our best season to date) - with a lot of losses at home. sub .500 football, and in a really bad place if the players didn't get on that roll to finish 2010.

When this program becomes a regular winner, and we have problems selling tickets, then there's an issue.

Winning, amazing how it fixes so many problems. You got to recruit first though, and it makes me chuckle quietly to myself to see everybody having recruiting angst. Because that means we have expectations, and you can't win, if you don't expect to, and the people that support you - the fans - don't expect to.

I expect to win.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The price of entertainment is true for the student just as it is for the adult fan. I personally would not miss a game or tailgating unless absolutely necessary (i.e. I will miss the Maryland game because we will be out of town). If a game is at Noon, the student may forego a ticket if it cost say up to $5.00, if the student also has to pay for and catch a bus there and back. The student can just as easily roll out of bed at 11:00, get breakfast, and be back in the dorm room to watch the game on channel 1607.

Its basically the same for the students already at the stadium.
Given the choice of a (virtually free) Natty Light in the parking lot and a $9.00 Coors, the student will probably pick the Natty Light. That goes double if UConn is losing in the 4th quarter and the beer stands close. UConn doesn't get a piece of the parking or concessions at either venue so its not in their economic best interest to subsidize concessions when rent is already a pretty penny. Past stadium management has contracted with vendors who charge major league prices for minor league/college level entertainment. My hope is that Spectrum Global recognizes and changes this.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I just love that you sent this from your cell phone.
Isn't that the most fitting part?? Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
The thing about beer prices is that people continue to shell out the money so why would they lower the prices?

Husky25

Reaction Score
The thing about beer prices is that people continue to shell out the money so why would they lower the prices?

Price elasticity of demand, pure and simple.

Demand represents the inverse relationship between price and units sold. Therefore there are two revenue points on the demand curve that are equal (6 units at $9 = 9 units at $6 = 54). The optimal point is somewhere in between. (7 Units at $8 =56 > 54). Extrapulate that over 35,000 potential customers at any given event and that's a pretty penny.

You are correct that a certain number of people will continue to shell out money for concessions at football games. (whether for themselves or for their kids, whathaveyou. we do not have to limit this to beer). They represent the 6 units at $9. The vendor will not lose these peoples' business. In fact if prices were lowered, the vendor may get a couple more purchases from the same sample. So instead of selling 6 units at $9 to 6 people ($54), they sell 9 units at $7.50 to those same 6 people ($67.50). That's a 25% increase by dropping to a still inflated price compared to what one can purchase at Crazy Bruces' or even Margharitas' down the road after the game. The question becomes at what price can the vendor sell its product to maximize total revenue, but I highly doubt it is currently optimum. Many of my tailgate group and a good deal of friends do not purchase concession there simply because of price. The primary tenants are college or minor league teams, so concessions are not used to pay entertainer salaries like at Fenway or Yankee Stadium. It is thought to be a form of price gouging.

That is one part of the problem. The other parts involve stadium management and quality of entertainment. This is why I hope Global Spectrum can begin to remedy the situation. It is on them to make the venues more attractive and book more dates around the primary tenants. It is on them to create a family friendly atmosphere and attract more visitors (not just for football, but for everything).

Compare and contrast this situation with New Britain Stadium. Now admittedly I haven't been there this year (I am planning on going on Saturday), however their concession prices are still quite a bit lower. Last time I was there, my friends and I drank $5.50 Sam Adams all game long. The stadium seats about 7,000, the max ticket costs $12, and it is not always sold out.

Reaction Score

Demand represents the inverse relationship between price and units sold. Therefore there are two revenue points on the demand curve that are equal (6 units at $9 = 9 units at $6 = 54). The optimal point is somewhere in between. (7 Units at $8 =56 > 54). Extrapulate that over 35,000 potential customers at any given event and that's a pretty penny.

You are correct that a certain number of people will continue to shell out money for concessions at football games. (whether for themselves or for their kids, whathaveyou. we do not have to limit this to beer). They represent the 6 units at $9. The vendor will not lose these peoples' business. In fact if prices were lowered, the vendor may get a couple more purchases from the same sample. So instead of selling 6 units at $9 to 6 people ($54), they sell 9 units at $7.50 to those same 6 people ($67.50). That's a 25% increase by dropping to a still inflated price compared to what one can purchase at Crazy Bruces' or even Margharitas' down the road after the game. The question becomes at what price can the vendor sell its product to maximize total revenue, but I highly doubt it is currently optimum. Many of my tailgate group and a good deal of friends do not purchase concession there simply because of price. The primary tenants are college or minor league teams, so concessions are not used to pay entertainer salaries like at Fenway or Yankee Stadium. It is thought to be a form of price gouging.

That is one part of the problem. The other parts involve stadium management and quality of entertainment. This is why I hope Global Spectrum can begin to remedy the situation. It is on them to make the venues more attractive and book more dates around the primary tenants. It is on them to create a family friendly atmosphere and attract more visitors (not just for football, but for everything).

Compare and contrast this situation with New Britain Stadium. Now admittedly I haven't been there this year (I am planning on going on Saturday), however their concession prices are still quite a bit lower. Last time I was there, my friends and I drank $5.50 Sam Adams all game long. The stadium seats about 7,000, the max ticket costs $12, and it is not always sold out.

Win games, get ranked in the top 25, and none of this matters. The simple fact is that people are going to pay for things they think are valueable. The gameday experience at UCONN football games, IMNSHO, is the primary reason these past few seasons, that people are investing in buying tickets. The gameday experience, is much more about what's happening outside than inside, and you need look at nothing more than home records and overall recrods to understand why.

7-6 home in the past two seasons, and 10-14 overall.

Look no further than that.

Nov. 27, 2010. Cold day. Thanksgiving Saturday. Stadium was sold out for a noon kickoff. 40,000. Ask yourself why, and hopefully all of you will stop manufacturing problems that dont' exist.

Connecticut is not a cultural region where losers are going to draw, and the core fan base, that goes to games and buys season tickets, for the gameday experience isn't big enough yet, to sell out regularly. Period.

Reaction Score

Two things to think about with the pricing. They have a virtual monopoly so that has to be factored in. Of course, people will drink more before and after outside, but that is going to happen if the beer is $9 or $7. If the beers were $2 (which they aren't going to be) it might make a dent in the tailgate consumption. The other thing is that they don't really want people to be drunk as crap in the stadium so why would they lower the prices? It is sort of a sin tax.

Reaction Score

OMG, I've come to the BY for Econ 101!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Two things to think about with the pricing. They have a virtual monopoly so that has to be factored in. Of course, people will drink more before and after outside, but that is going to happen if the beer is $9 or $7. If the beers were $2 (which they aren't going to be) it might make a dent in the tailgate consumption. The other thing is that they don't really want people to be drunk as crap in the stadium so why would they lower the prices? It is sort of a sin tax.
My post answered a reply to what I posted bout getting the students to the stadium, in their seats and keeping them there.
Win games, get ranked in the top 25, and none of this matters. The simple fact is that people are going to pay for things they think are valueable. The gameday experience at UCONN football games, IMNSHO, is the primary reason these past few seasons, that people are investing in buying tickets. The gameday experience, is much more about what's happening outside than inside, and you need look at nothing more than home records and overall recrods to understand why.

7-6 home in the past two seasons, and 10-14 overall.

Look no further than that.

Nov. 27, 2010. Cold day. Thanksgiving Saturday. Stadium was sold out for a noon kickoff. 40,000. Ask yourself why, and hopefully all of you will stop manufacturing problems that dont' exist.

Connecticut is not a cultural region where losers are going to draw, and the core fan base, that goes to games and buys season tickets, for the gameday experience isn't big enough yet, to sell out regularly. Period.
True, but that only applies to UConn football and Rentschler Field. Virtually nothing happens at Rentschler on the other 174 open dates (est).

Global Spectrum has the same issue at the XL Center. The Women won the National Championship and 16,000 bodies weren't in the building. The men didn't sell out (though I have higher hopes for 2013-14) either. UConn Hockey won't sell out in all probability and the Connecticut/Hartford Whale/Wolfpack are lucky to fill 1/3 of the building for a weekend game, let alone a weeknight game (Only a Higher Power knows how the reversion back to "Wolfpack" will affect attendance.).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
(Only a Higher Power knows how the reversion back to "Wolfpack" will affect attendance.).

Baldwin alienated many core fans. I think moving back to Wolfpack is an attempt to get them back in the fold. I will miss Pucky, though.

Reaction Score

that's one thing I like about Quinnipiac Univ basketball and hockey games, the kids can get as much as they want to eat/drink and it barely puts a dent in my wallet.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Baldwin alienated many core fans. I think moving back to Wolfpack is an attempt to get them back in the fold. I will miss Pucky, though.

He didn't alienate the fans. He alienated MSG, the AHL, AEG and the State. Go read some of the stuff on the Courant hockey board. MSG and AEG where running the franchise into the ground, attendance was sub-mediocre, and MSG was going to pull their affiliation prior to HBSr. The re-branding was an homage to the Whalers (obviously) and the mission was aimed at showing the NHL that Hartford is a viable market. There is such a palpable hatred of the Rangers among the Whalers' fans that when the reversion was anounced, many threatened to travel to Springfield or just go to UConn games for their hockey fix. There is an explicit wish for the sale of the Nassau Coliseum to go to MSG, so they can pull out of Hartford and make room for another affiliate.

I went to more than few games last year and the mood among those who were not wearing a Rangers' sweaters was (almost to a man), "I hate the Rangers, but I support Howard."

It was working ever so slowly (with little to no marketing and terrible agreements), but the dollars dried up and unfortunately it failed. No question he made some questionable calls, and I do not relieve him of his responsibility, but Mr. Baldwin is nothing if not a visionary. The reversion is an attempt by the Rangers to distance themselves from HB. Nothing more. Again...It will be interesting to see what Global Spectrum has up their sleeve in terms of marketing because "local management" has little to no control over the day to day operations of the franchise and its in GS best interest to keep butts (who purchased tickets) in the seats.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I sat with season ticket holders that hated his guts. They felt he took them for granted.

Hmm. That svcks. I did not get the feel for that at all from HBSr. I can sympathize with that feeling...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hmm. That svcks. I did not get the feel for that at all from HBSr. I can sympathize with that feeling...

I was surprised hearing it, I was rooting for Baldwin. It's a real shame that the weather was so terrible for the Winter Classic.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I was surprised hearing it, I was rooting for Baldwin. It's a real shame that the weather was so terrible for the Winter Classic.
Agreed. Now. Back to the point of the thread.

I like what I'm hearing about the new score board and concourse ribbon. I'm assuming they are in HD. Global Spectrum can also make improvements on the outside of the stadium too.

My son is not yet old enough, but I would love to not get yelled at by the 16 1/2 year old parking attendants for throwing a football on the other side of the rope from where they are parking cars in the Blue lot.

I'd also like the gates to open earlier for a night game. People take half days as it is to avoid traffic, it'd be nice to have some place to go.

Reaction Score
I don't drink inside the stadium (they don't sell scotch).

Also helps to not drink once inside so sober when I drive home.

Lots of the kids aren't 21 anyway so the price of beer internally is not relevant.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't drink inside the stadium (they don't sell scotch).

Also helps to not drink once inside so sober when I drive home.

Lots of the kids aren't 21 anyway so the price of beer internally is not relevant.
Im not sure what this referring to but concessions do not include beer only. I opened my Econ lesson to include all refreshments.

Reaction Score

I understand the concept but I'm not sure I'm gonna start buying 4 beers in game instead of 3 just because. IDK

I'm smart enough to know buying more of a cheaper thing doesn't save me money.

However, it may serve to get people in the stadium quicker if the margin between tailgate beer and stadium beer isn't as large.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I understand the concept but I'm not sure I'm gonna start buying 4 beers in game instead of 3 just because. IDK
Crazy Bruce sells soda too...

Reaction Score
Be very grateful we can at least get a beer at the stadium. And that we have a sam adams stand and some other quality beers in addition to swill. Florida sate and many on campus stadiums do not serve alcohol at all. Many sec teams like auburn are dry. Usf at Raymond James has crap. I think it was miller light and I couldn't find anything better. My point being our stadium is good in the beer department so support it when you go. Doesn't hurt to have a few to keep the parki g lot buzz goi g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom