Rent improvements | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Rent improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
This is mainly about basketball because honestly I'm not as experienced with football games because of the above reasons. I've been to maybe 20 games. But in my opinion, the football student section is okay, but they just don't have much to cheer about. Our team just needs to start winning again.

I've said from the beginning we need a better student section organization. You've seen the Gampel student section, but if you were from Alaska and were dropped in during a game, you'd have no idea where it is. Our kids can't even wear their student section shirts to the game. It's either that or they don't have one because they were forced to buy the tickets from someone who won the stupid lottery, who also has the shirt (what is it with college kids and free shirts). You've seen the Kansas student section. Can you imagine the energy those kids feel among each other when they do their pregame stuff? Every time I watch a Kansas game, I want to be in there with those kids. No wonder they have Gameday come to campus like every year. We have the profile of a program that deserves a student section like that. It's like our kids somehow don't get that.

We need to get rid of the lottery system. Single file line, branching out at the doors with ID scanners. First come, first serve. You want to be on tv? Camp out. It's no big deal for kids at Cuse, UNC, Duke, OSU, etc.

Will never happen, but make the student section like the Pitt, MSU, Michigan (go figure, all great student sections) and have it loop low around to court.

Unfortunately a lot of this depends on the students themselves, who are all lazy sh!ts. I'd know; I used to be one.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing until I realized I can't remember the last time I went to a sporting event where I didn't have a few pops.

Hell, I don't recall watching one on TV without suckin back on Grandpa's old cough medicine.

Yeahhhhhhh lol. Thing about these kids though is that they drink every night Thursday-Saturday. They can't be sober for a Tuesday night game at the XL or Saturday at noon?

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Yeahhhhhhh lol. Thing about these kids though is that they drink every night Thursday-Saturday. They can't be sober for a Tuesday night game at the XL or Saturday at noon?

You guys are out of touch! All the dedicated kids you see at the front of the line for every game are drinking. Well not ALL, but a good amount.

It's a great excuse to get drunk.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

We all know that a good portion of college students will drink to excess at a sporting event. I know I did.

As an adult, I never miss a game but also enjoy a few cocktails because I'm old enough to be responsible and understand the dire consequences if I drive drunk. These are kids and honestly, I'd rather they watch off-campus games ON campus if they're not yet smart enough to stay sober or use a designated driver.

We either find a way to get students to stop drinking or come up with a full proof plan to get them to and from away games safely.

Good luck with the first option.

Reaction Score
We all know that a good portion of college students will drink to excess at a sporting event. I know I did.

As an adult, I never miss a game but also enjoy a few cocktails because I'm old enough to be responsible and understand the dire consequences if I drive drunk. These are kids and honestly, I'd rather they watch off-campus games ON campus if they're not yet smart enough to stay sober or use a designated driver.

We either find a way to get students to stop drinking or come up with a full proof plan to get them to and from away games safely.

Good luck with the first option.

I think they should try to upgrade the bus situation. A chunk of the money from the state should go to getting coach buses to the Rent/XL. Stuffing all these college kids into school buses is awful.

Reaction Score
I lived close enough to campus (Vernon) so getting home was never a problem and my best friend's dad has had season tickets since forever so my transport to the Rent was never an issue. Maybe I just can't relate!

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
We either find a way to get students to stop drinking

Yeah you're right, good luck with that one! But the solution is really simple: all home games at Gampel. The Storrs center is coming together too. The football situation is fine. There are plenty of buses.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Yeah you're right, good luck with that one! But the solution is really simple: all home games at Gampel. The Storrs center is coming together too. The football situation is fine. There are plenty of buses.

At least post my full statement before responding:

"We either find a way to get students to stop drinking or come up with a full proof plan to get them to and from away games safely."

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I agree, but I think we can make the basketball situation better more simply. Do we really need to play at XL? I understand it's a bigger place so it makes more money (right?) but it really does take a toll, and not just because everyone wants to be drunk.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I agree, but I think we can make the basketball situation better more simply. Do we really need to play at XL? I understand it's a bigger place so it makes more money (right?) but it really does take a toll, and not just because everyone wants to be drunk.

Yes, games are held at XL because of money.

I'd love a bigger on-campus BB arena, right next door to an 80,000 seat football stadium. But that's not economically feasible at this point. We need to build the fan base despite of our current situation. That's the only way we gain enough revenue to ever see a complete, Storrs based athletic campus.

Even if that ever happens, do we end up adding student participation while losing the lucrative Fairfield County fanbase because of the nightmare game day commute? I'm not smart enough to know the answer to that question.

Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion that we should provide full service limos for the students. They deserve it, right?

School buses more than suffice. Coach buses is the most ridiculous recommendation yet. How does that increase attendance?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
This is mainly about basketball because honestly I'm not as experienced with football games because of the above reasons. I've been to maybe 20 games. But in my opinion, the football student section is okay, but they just don't have much to cheer about. Our team just needs to start winning again.

I've said from the beginning we need a better student section organization. You've seen the Gampel student section, but if you were from Alaska and were dropped in during a game, you'd have no idea where it is. Our kids can't even wear their student section shirts to the game. It's either that or they don't have one because they were forced to buy the tickets from someone who won the stupid lottery, who also has the shirt (what is it with college kids and free shirts). You've seen the Kansas student section. Can you imagine the energy those kids feel among each other when they do their pregame stuff? Every time I watch a Kansas game, I want to be in there with those kids. No wonder they have Gameday come to campus like every year. We have the profile of a program that deserves a student section like that. It's like our kids somehow don't get that.

We need to get rid of the lottery system. Single file line, branching out at the doors with ID scanners. First come, first serve. You want to be on tv? Camp out. It's no big deal for kids at Cuse, UNC, Duke, OSU, etc.

Will never happen, but make the student section like the Pitt, MSU, Michigan (go figure, all great student sections) and have it loop low around to court.

Unfortunately a lot of this depends on the students themselves, who are all lazy sh!ts. I'd know; I used to be one.
Your idea of the id scanner is actually in use at one school that I know of on a more sophisticated basis. My nephew graduated from Auburn a year ago. When you bought tickets to the games there, and I'm not sure if they used a lottery or stood in line, you produced your id and your account was credited for the purchase of that game's ticket. At the game you produced your id and it was scanned and you were let in. You'll notice that this process precludes any scalping of student tickets. I'm not sure if all tix were general admission or if you were given a voucher for a specific seat. I don't know what they did if you couldn't go to a game. In other words could you turn it in and the school sells it to another student? some expense in instituting such a system, but it would seem to eliminate the student scalping issue.

Reaction Score
The interesting thing is that 70% of the kids on campus AREN'T drinking Thursday - Sunday. But it must be that the 30% that are drinking are also the only kids that care about the sports teams.

I know some people that have kids at UCONN. When I tell them I can't always get to the games at Gampel and to see if they want them, I get - ok, can I have the GTown and Syracuse games? I say no (because I either go or give those to friends of mine) and outside of the great games I can't usually get someone to take them for free.

But if you want to see a ghost town? Go to Pauley Pavillion at UCLA. Yikes.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The interesting thing is that 70% of the kids on campus AREN'T drinking Thursday - Sunday. But it must be that the 30% that are drinking are also the only kids that care about the sports teams.

I know some people that have kids at UCONN. When I tell them I can't always get to the games at Gampel and to see if they want them, I get - ok, can I have the GTown and Syracuse games? I say no (because I either go or give those to friends of mine) and outside of the great games I can't usually get someone to take them for free.

But if you want to see a ghost town? Go to Pauley Pavillion at UCLA. Yikes.

Where did this stat come from? It's more like 90% are.....and like 70% have not stopped drinking since move in weekend.

Reaction Score
Where did this stat come from? It's more like 90% are.....and like 70% have not stopped drinking since move in weekend.

It is self-selection. People that drink only hang around with other people that drink, so they think everyone drinks. I can tell you, that even when I was an RA, in the Jungle, that more than 50% of the guys didn't really party that much, and 75% of the girls didn't party at all. If 90% of the people are drinking, why is the library full of people on Thursday nights (and the library holds a hell of a lot more people than the 3 on-campus bars do in aggregate).

(and - serious question - where did/do you go to school since you didn't go to UCONN?)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
It is self-selection. People that drink only hang around with other people that drink, so they think everyone drinks. I can tell you, that even when I was an RA, in the Jungle, that more than 50% of the guys didn't really party that much, and 75% of the girls didn't party at all. If 90% of the people are drinking, why is the library full of people on Thursday nights (and the library holds a hell of a lot more people than the 3 on-campus bars do in aggregate).

(and - serious question - where did/do you go to school since you didn't go to UCONN?)

I have had this convo with my dad and uncle many times. Years ago the drinking age was lower and drinking was not as big of a deal to the overall % of people compared to now. When they raised the drinking age over time it built up to what college drinking is today. Not trying to be a jerk but those numbers are like the grandpa saying bye before you leave for college and saying hey you study hard and don't do drugs or drink and you'll be just fine. High five, here's a Pepsi for the ride up.

I have been to uconn enough in college years to tell you that I hung out with drinkers and befor egging out just making the rounds in dorms room to random room everyone was rolling, snorting and drinking. Just like every other school.

Listen do some kids have tests and things to do on Fridays all throughout the year? Sure. So those kids may drink one Wednesday or Thursday and Ghent he next be in the library. Kids go to the library to get away from the dorms because stuff is happening in them. The uconn library is big yes and it's got thousands in it at times. Sure. But compared to the overall population it's not even close.

One of my favorite weekends my freshmen year of college was the second to last of the first semester. It was the only year I lived on campus and for me the fall was a huge party vs the spring with baseball 247. I was getting rowdy in my room with some friends and eventually I ended up in a couple different places skipping place to place and eventually I ended up in the kids room next to me who I had not spent one sec all year talking to or anything. Always very quiet. He was a engineer and had the appearance of one. We walked in and I saw him and he says man, all the times I hear things going on in your room and your in my room now. I laughed. Kid and his friends were all in there drinking playing some game. I made my way out and on to the next room in the dorm after a few. Later I thought about it and said, wow even the straight edge kids are getting messed up in here. Every college kid these days drinks. The few who don't have reasons which are fine. But it's not the innocent thing it used to be. I went to wneu.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Those are awfully high percentages, in my view.

90% of the campus is certainly not drinking 24/7 from Thursday - Sunday. But I think you underestimate the number as well. Are you including the underage kids behind closed dorm room doors? I lived on campus for 7 out of my 8 semesters and each one of my RAs had the same introductory speach in some way, shape, or form. They were in it for the free room and board and did not want to write anyone up unless they were forced. Was that your attitiude as well? Did your floor perceive you as a hard ? I can't answer the question about the library. I always studied in my room with at least background music on. I couldn't stand absolute silence. I also remember the vast majority of "parties" weren't really parties, per se. It was 3-5 people in a room watching tv or playing PlayStation while having a few beers purchased for them by upperclassmen.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score

Someone's never been to Garrigus on a Thursday night...

Or Willi Oaks like ever

Reaction Score
I have had this convo with my dad and uncle many times. Years ago the drinking age was lower and drinking was not as big of a deal to the overall % of people compared to now. When they raised the drinking age over time it built up to what college drinking is today. Not trying to be a jerk but those numbers are like the grandpa saying bye before you leave for college and saying hey you study hard and don't do drugs or drink and you'll be just fine. High five, here's a Pepsi for the ride up.

I have been to uconn enough in college years to tell you that I hung out with drinkers and befor egging out just making the rounds in dorms room to random room everyone was rolling, snorting and drinking. Just like every other school.

Listen do some kids have tests and things to do on Fridays all throughout the year? Sure. So those kids may drink one Wednesday or Thursday and Ghent he next be in the library. Kids go to the library to get away from the dorms because stuff is happening in them. The uconn library is big yes and it's got thousands in it at times. Sure. But compared to the overall population it's not even close.

One of my favorite weekends my freshmen year of college was the second to last of the first semester. It was the only year I lived on campus and for me the fall was a huge party vs the spring with baseball 247. I was getting rowdy in my room with some friends and eventually I ended up in a couple different places skipping place to place and eventually I ended up in the kids room next to me who I had not spent one sec all year talking to or anything. Always very quiet. He was a engineer and had the appearance of one. We walked in and I saw him and he says man, all the times I hear things going on in your room and your in my room now. I laughed. Kid and his friends were all in there drinking playing some game. I made my way out and on to the next room in the dorm after a few. Later I thought about it and said, wow even the straight edge kids are getting messed up in here. Every college kid these days drinks. The few who don't have reasons which are fine. But it's not the innocent thing it used to be. I went to wneu.

On party weekends? Sure - everyone is drinking. The kids that don't go home (which is a lot).

http://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-connecticut/paying-for-college/room-and-board/ (shows total dorm capacity of ~12,700)

http://worldcat.org/arcviewer/1/CZL/2008/08/16/H1218899965216/viewer/file1.html (shows total DRY dorm capacity of ~3200 in 2003 - none of the dorms were dry when I was there) so 25% of the dorms are dry.

Teds? Can you get 100 people in there?
Huskies? Maybe 300 people?
Upper Deck (or whatever it is called now)? 500?

I'd be shocked if the total bar capacity on campus is 1K. And aside from some peak times you can just walk right in.

And the partying in the dorms varies greatly. Some dorms everyone parties all the time. Some are dead quiet. I'm certain my numbers are much more accurate than yours. Think of it this way - I had 20 rooms or so on Fairfield 1st. On a Saturday/Sunday everyone that stayed up was drinking. But more than 1/2 the people went home. So 100% of the less than 50% were drinking. So it looks like everyone is drinking. It just isn't the case. And 95% of it is contained to the guys floors. The female RAs are generally pretty good about keeping it quiet for the girls that want to study.

But my overriding point was that there is probably a huge overlap between the heavy partiers and the sports fans. And if that's the case, it can't be a surprise that they don't go to the games if doing so interrupts the partying.

Reaction Score
Those are awfully high percentages, in my view.

90% of the campus is certainly not drinking 24/7 from Thursday - Sunday. But I think you underestimate the number as well. Are you including the underage kids behind closed dorm room doors? I lived on campus for 7 out of my 8 semesters and each one of my RAs had the same introductory speach in some way, shape, or form. They were in it for the free room and board and did not want to write anyone up unless they were forced. Was that your attitiude as well? Did your floor perceive you as a hard ? I can't answer the question about the library. I always studied in my room with at least background music on. I couldn't stand absolute silence. I also remember the vast majority of "parties" weren't really parties, per se. It was 3-5 people in a room watching tv or playing PlayStation while having a few beers purchased for them by upperclassmen.

I never wrote anyone up for drinking unless they were in the hallways or otherwise attracting attention to the floor in a way that could get all of us in trouble. I also know that NOBODY EVER went to a Football game, because why would you ever go to a I-AA football game? And people would kill to get into Gampel. And nobody EVER turned down tickets at XL, and found out how to get there by begging, borrowing, and stealing (this is 1989-1993). Football is just not part of the student culture at UCONN and never has been. An on-campus stadium would have been great for that. I have no idea how to fix that knowing that we will never build an on-campus stadium, other than winning (say what you want about Edsall, but we won at home nearly all the time) and playing teams like Michigan - "can't miss" opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom