QB Battle | Page 4 | The Boneyard

QB Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Interesting poll results on the UConn Blog as of 9am ET today, 8/7.

Poll
Who will be the starting quarterback for UConn against Villanova when the season begins Sept. 3?
  • 39% Bryant Shirreffs (79 votes)
  • 13% Tim Boyle (26 votes)
  • 45% Garrett Anderson (92 votes)
  • 3% Other (Tyler Davis, Brandon Bisack, Will Rishell) (6 votes)
203 votes total

small_theuconnblog.com.minimal.png

http://goo.gl/6JRI4l

Reaction Score
Interesting poll results on the UConn Blog as of 9am ET today, 8/7.

Poll
Who will be the starting quarterback for UConn against Villanova when the season begins Sept. 3?
  • 39% Bryant Shirreffs (79 votes)
  • 13% Tim Boyle (26 votes)
  • 45% Garrett Anderson (92 votes)
  • 3% Other (Tyler Davis, Brandon Bisack, Will Rishell) (6 votes)
203 votes total

small_theuconnblog.com.minimal.png

http:// /6JRI4l

It looks like Anderson's family and friends got a hold of this poll.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If Shireffs isn't our starting QB, I would be mildly surprised. Anything can happen in camp and the good news is we don't open with BYU this year (I know, I know, Villanova is the Patriots of FCS).

I would also be surprised if we didn't see our old beloved QB rotation again in the early stages of the season. I just hope it's not to the extreme of stalling our own drive inside the red zone by making a QB change.

Reaction Score
I don't care who starts he season as long as he produces. What I don't want to see is a guy who can't get it done and Diaco just leaves him in there. Or worse, a guy is producing ad Diaco yanks him out.

For some reason Diaco was in love with Whtimer. In the second half the BYU game, Cochrane came out and led the Huskies right down the field. Once we got to the BYU red zone, Diaco yanked out Casey and put in Whitmer. Who, of course, immediately got sacked and killed the drive. It was just one of a thousand head scratching decisions by Diaco. He pulled out a guy who was producing. Just mind boggling.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't care who starts he season as long as he produces. What I don't want to see is a guy who can't get it done and Diaco just leaves him in there. Or worse, a guy is producing ad Diaco yanks him out.

For some reason Diaco was in love with Whtimer. In the second half the BYU game, Cochrane came out and led the Huskies right down the field. Once we got to the BYU red zone, Diaco yanked out Casey and put in Whitmer. Who, of course, immediately got sacked and killed the drive. It was just one of a thousand head scratching decisions by Diaco. He pulled out a guy who was producing. Just mind boggling.

This is exactly what I'm alluding to when I said stalling our own drive inside the red zone. I'm fairly certain he made another in-game QB move after that happened because the issue was asked and addressed later in the season. Although, I'm not 100% positive since I can't remember the game. But yeah, needless to say, I punched myself in the face when I saw Whitmer coming into the game at that moment against BYU.

Reaction Score
When the coach says he wants to get a "good look" at Anderson after naming him #3 I suspect that we'll see the battle if there is one between Sherreffs and Anderson. We were not desperate in terms of numbers so they brought Anderson in for more than just depth I believe.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
When the coach says he wants to get a "good look" at Anderson after naming him #3 I suspect that we'll see the battle if there is one between Sherreffs and Anderson. We were not desperate in terms of numbers so they brought Anderson in for more than just depth I believe.

What are you talking about? 3 scholarship QBs is indeed desperate for numbers. I agree that Anderson will get more consideration for PT than many are predicting, but any good FBS program should have 4-6 on roster. Last year, we were an injury away from a freshman from RHAM being #2 on the depth chart of a team playing DI competition. Think about that.

Reaction Score
Boyle has the makings of a great pro style QB.

Only problem is that we don't have the offensive line to run a pro style offense. Boyle's lack of mobility as a straight drop back QB puts him at a complete disadvantage.

We simply do not have a strong enough offensive line to not start Sherriffs. We need a guy that can salvage a broken play, because if history is any guide, we'll have a lot of them this year.

I don't disagree, however if the line has improved that's another story.
Some people know this but Tom Brady didn't start until his Junior year atMich.

Here are his stats:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tom-brady-1.html

Here are Boyle's.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tim-boyle-1.html

I doubt if the fans in Ann Arbor were dancing in the streets when Brady got the start. Strong O line or not.

I may get some heat on this but I am not comparing Boyle to Brady NOW I am comparing Boyle to Brady as an unproven Junior at Michigan THEN. In fact, one could argue that Boyle has more experience than Brady had in 1996.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
...Except Chandler Whitmer was no Brien Griese.

Boyle had multiple opportunities to beat out Whitmer. He couldn't capitalize. Griese won a National Title (mostly the way that Eli Manning won his Super Bowls, but still...) and had a fairly successful NFL career.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Here are his stats:

Here are Boyle's.

I doubt if the fans in Ann Arbor were dancing in the streets when Brady got the start. Strong O line or not.

I may get some heat on this but I am not comparing Boyle to Brady NOW I am comparing Boyle to Brady as an unproven Junior at Michigan THEN. In fact, one could argue that Boyle has more experience than Brady had in 1996.

Brady's a better quarterback than Boyle. This is lunacy.

He had his chance. He performed poorly. Now it's Shirreff's turn.

Reaction Score

Here are his stats:

Here are Boyle's.

However, Tom Brady is skilled at football.

Reaction Score
...Except Chandler Whitmer was no Brien Griese.

Boyle had multiple opportunities to beat out Whitmer. He couldn't capitalize. Griese won a National Title (mostly the way that Eli Manning won his Super Bowls, but still...) and had a fairly successful NFL career.

Who'd play the role of Drew Henson?

Think I have a hernia from laughing at the OP.

Reaction Score
My hope is that Sherrifs proves right out of the gate that he's the one and the staff goes with it...FOR THE SAKE OF THE REST OF THE OFFENSE.... who desperately need some stability from the QB position. It's vital to quickly build a consistent unit with the rest of the offensive starters as they barely have a month to change this from tryouts to a cohesive unit. I'm hoping that a Sheriffs lead offense(accompanied by a stifling, stellar defense) can put the first half of the first game out of reach enough that Anderson and Boyle see significant time in the second half to show their wares under real game conditions.

If the coaches have done their work it can be done.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
FWIW (and it isn't much) the UConn Blog's QB poll results have been updated since this morning. Jimmy, per your earlier response, GA must have a lot of family and friends ;)

Poll
  • 38% Bryant Shirreffs (93 votes)
  • 13% Tim Boyle (31 votes)
  • 46% Garrett Anderson (112 votes)
  • 2% Other (Tyler Davis, Brandon Bisack, Will Rishell) (6 votes)
242 votes total
http://ow.ly/QDOzg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unless Boyle has figured out the solution to his 1-11 ratio. He can do whatever he wants, so long as playing QB for this team isn't one of them.

If he has figured it out, then put him in there because he can absolutely throw it.

Like the rest of the team, I'm hoping something clicked in the off-season because incremental improvements don't get us very far.
1-11 ratio... just not fair... if they caught the ones that hit them in the hands, in the endzone, it would be much better.

Reaction Score
Great to see GA fans representing their guy. If he had more time in the system he seems to have some good skills. Welcome aboard!

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
1-11 ratio... just not fair... if they caught the ones that hit them in the hands, in the endzone, it would be much better.
How about the DB's on the other team that didn't catch a Boyle throw that him them in the hands...

1-11 is the new 3-16!

Reaction Score
Oh stop. He is a turnover machine. If he were from Xavarian in Mass you'd be hoping he never sees the field again. He just is not that good. He has had multiple chances and flamed out. Next man up.

Reaction Score
Listen. He might turn out great. But anyone that says there is any evidence to support that is crazy. Nothing we have seen leads me to believe that he can make the reads and decisions necessary to be great. Physical tools are only one thing.

If he ends up on the field I will root for him, but he has to prove something. He has played enough and made enough unforced errors where he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction Score
Explanation for my GA preference.
We have seen neither BS or GA play for the Huskies so I am going off of film clips and articles that I can find.
My choice is clearly based on style. I'm not a big fan of running QB's. We seem to have used running QB's in the past because we couldn't get a passing game going.

From GA's film he seems to be more of a scrambler who can throw on the fly. He can move up back or sideways to make to rushers miss while having eyes down field.

I would rather see that type of play where we can get passing yards from imperfect plays than seeing our QB hang himself out there on half of the plays to get a few yds.

But, I'll take anyone who can get us wins.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I hope HCBD goes with one QB. If you have two, you don't have one. I'd rather he go with Shirreffs legs over Boyle's arm. In our position I think a player who can extend plays and make broken plays is more valuable than a pure pocket passer.

Reaction Score
I agree with Funster. We jsut need someone to be the MAN. Every time we have the ball he comes onto the field. Every down, everywhere on the field, 1st down on our 2, 4th down and goal at their 8, the same guy is under center. No situational substitutions. No "lets give little Timmy a chance to run a series." There is the Quarterback and the backups. If your not the quarterback, your one of the backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom