QB Battle | The Boneyard

QB Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
BigBoneBen here from Californ-i-a! Go Huskies!!!! I just wanted to introduce myself to the group! Any news on the 2015 QB front-runner?

BBB​
Welcome Ben (Mr. Rothlisberger??)

AS Jimmy said Shireffs job to lose - camp opens next week and new rules will allow reporting from practice, so we should get some insight quickly, once camp opens.

Reaction Score
Welcome to The Boneyard!

Coming out of Spring Training Bryant Sheriffs was the leader. He is a mobile QB and can throw well on the run. This skill might be needed this year although the line is more experienced and SHOULD be better. Tim Boyle has a stronger arm and was seeming to have better field command then he had last season but he's less mobile than Sheriffs. Tyler Davis, incoming Frosh, has a very strong arm but is clearly a year or two away from starting. Garrett Anderson,incoming Juco transfer, was not at Spring Training, but he is also a mobile QB with a strong arm. He just arrived on campus in June. Diaco says he will be competing for starting QB and he has a real shoot of winning the position this summer. From watching some of his film it appears he does have a good chance to win the spot. Looks like stronger competition for QB than in the past.

Reaction Score
Welcome tripleB!

People have pretty much already covered the gist of things. I thought Sheriffs was solid in the spring game. He wasn't allowed to run due to no QB contact rules, but you could see his elusiveness. He will be exciting to watch. Additionally, he threw the ball much better than everyone else at the game. Lots of throws on the mark.

On a side note, there were also a number of deep throws during the spring game from multiple QBs which is something we haven't seen much of in the past few years.

Anderson is an interesting acquisition. For me, he's completely unknown. Here's hoping for some exciting QB rimes ahead for husky fans.

Reaction Score
Sherreffs is the #1, I think by a long shot. Anderson will be the backup I think. You don't go get a Juco backup if you think what you have is ready for prime time. Davis seems like the quarterback of the future. I thought he looked like the most talented in the Spring game though he was unpolished. If he sees time this year Diaco should be tossed off the Gold Star bridge fished out and then dropped off the next bridge all the way to the NY border .I also hope we pick a quarterback and make him #1. And let him play every snap in every situation except when we are up 35 with 2 minutes to go. If Diaco says the words key backup about the quarterback position, we'll see my comments about bridges above.

Reaction Score
BigBoneBen here from Californ-i-a! Go Huskies!!!! I just wanted to introduce myself to the group! Any news on the 2015 QB front-runner?

BBB​
Wow, you sank the hook on a hand full here! The handle, the comment, and you still got a few to bite!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If he sees time this year Diaco should be tossed off the Gold Star bridge fished out and then dropped off the next bridge all the way to the NY border .

I feel like you will try to do that regardless of anything that happens. Best of luck.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Triple B- welcome to the 'Yard! You're Califonia location will be key to our growing fan base once UConn accepts the invite the PAC-12 is going to give us after this season! (LOL)

In all seriousness, welcome aboard! I think Sherriffs will get the go... Garrett (the JUCO transfer) at #2, and Boyle as #3. I think (and hope) Diaco will save Davis' redshirt this season.

Reaction Score
... camp opens next week and new rules will allow reporting from practice, so we should get some insight quickly, once camp opens.

Just from a reporting expectation standpoint (from another thread):

>>The players report Aug. 6, and camp opens Aug. 7. Diaco said he wants to develop a camp feel through Aug.12 in which practices will not be open to the media.<<

>>Speaking of systemic changes, Diaco intends to make a big one in allowing media to attend practices from start to finish with few boundaries. That's not only unprecedented at UConn but at most FBS and FCS schools, too. "I think what we do is worth seeing on a day-to-day basis and I want to help you guys do your work." That new policy kicks in Aug. 29; it is for the regular season, not summer camp.<<

Reaction Score
Call me cynical and suspicious: New Poster... First post is on "2015 QB front-runner"... Anderson from Northern CA. ;):cool:

But welcome BBB.

Looking to see what Anderson can do. My gut says he pushes for playing time.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
When you take into account what a set-back we really had with losing Cochren to a career-ending head injury at the beginning of last season, combined with a failure of an O-line, and lack of talent (or consistancy) at QB, we were pretty much doomed from the get-go.

I always thought Witmer should have been better than what he turned out to be. He showed us glimmers of hope last season (think the ECU game...), but then couldn't protect the football (think the Army game...) and Diaco had no choice but to go with Boyle again (which everyone knows he didn't want to have to do- burn Timmy's RS again after FHCPP unnessasarily did in '13).

The '15 season our QB outlook is leaps and bounds in a better situation.

Reaction Score
When you take into account what a set-back we really had with losing Cochren to a career-ending head injury at the beginning of last season, combined with a failure of an O-line, and lack of talent (or consistancy) at QB, we were pretty much doomed from the get-go.

I always thought Witmer should have been better than what he turned out to be. He showed us glimmers of hope last season (think the ECU game...), but then couldn't protect the football (think the Army game...) and Diaco had no choice but to go with Boyle again (which everyone knows he didn't want to have to do- burn Timmy's RS again after FHCPP unnessasarily did in '13).

The '15 season our QB outlook is leaps and bounds in a better situation.

For all the bad things he did, Pasqualoni wasn't the one to burn Boyles shirt. That was decided after he had been canned. Weist and I think Warde since Weist was just elevated and wouldn't have made a major decision like that on his own, made that call.

I feel like you will try to do that regardless of anything that happens. Best of luck.
Not if we win games we should.

Reaction Score
Who cares? Whether P started to prime Boyle, Weist burned his red shirt or Warde had his hand in it... it's still water under the bridge two years past now. I feel bad for Boyle as I felt bad for Whitmer last year trying to quarterback with NO pass blocking. This is a new year. Boyle has equal opportunity to show he's the one. It's up to him to step up. I agree, QB competition and depth seem better than when P first took over and congrats to Diaco if any of them can steer this ship into the end zone consistently. Or..... at least enough to go bowling.

Reaction Score
I will be shocked if the backup from Laney is our QB this year.

Reaction Score
I think there's still the possibility of a 2 QB competition between Sherriffs and Boyle. Sherriffs has the edge but both should be ready to run the offense with some support. After that you have a solid guy Anderson coming in but at a big disadvantage learning the system and personnel. Davis should get the RS this year with the plan being to give him a few snaps when possible next year and see how he develops. It sounds idiotic given where the offense has been but these 4 are a pretty decent mix of talent and experience and none graduate this year.

Reaction Score
Presumably Weist as head coach could have countermanded that decision. He didn't. While I e seen enough weird thing happen with this program over the past few years, Boyle under center this year isn't happening. Some folks want a local hero. I want to win football games. That isn't the way to do it. As I keep saying Diaco didn't bring in a Juco because he thought it would be nice to have depth. He did it because he needed a competent back up. That is a role lots of Juco quarterbacks play. Bringing in Anderson gums up the long term plan so you only do it if you need it. We need it.

Reaction Score
No matter who wins the starting job, everybody better be ready if there number is called. Rarely does one an play the whole season.

Reaction Score
Hopefully it comes down to who wants it more. None have shown All American characteristics so these last 4 months with intense training and motivation, any of them had the time to improve and close the gap. Now lets see who wants it.

Reaction Score

BBB​
This year we have several QBs......which is nice (Bill Murray delivery). Last year our QB was Chandler Whitmore most of time. He got the hell knocked out of him. Last I heard he had moved to Cali and changed his name to Ben.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom