QB Battle | Page 3 | The Boneyard

QB Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anderson, who runs a 4.6 40-yard dash according to Hudl, can make plays with his feet.
At the beginning of his highlight reel, you see him evade the rush, roll to his left, and whip the ball 35 yards downfield to an open receiver. You see more of the same across the rest of tape. He earned the starting job as a freshman at Laney, but actually lost it in his sophomore year to UNLV-bound Kurt Palendech.

Highlight reels are great for showing you what a player has done or could do with the proper support. Not necessarily consistently though because those other plays don't make it onto the highlight reel. I like Anderson's highlights very much, but none of our recent QB's has had the opportunity to develop into what they could be because of poor blocking and poor management from coaches. I think Casey and Weist were getting something started but even he was severely handcuffed by a lack of time to go through progressions. And rotating guys in and out, well you know how I feel about that. And even if he is successful evading the rush a good percentage eventually that will catch up with him if he's always on the run.

Reaction Score
Discos. Moments were cow speak. If you watched the spring game it was pretty clear that whatever the future it is Not Tim Boyle. This year they'll try Sherreffs. Davis though is the future. You could see the raw talent and leadership. He just needs some experience.

Reaction Score
I understand that people hate rotating QB's, and mismanaging them, and all of the insane systems we've attempted to use to get competent play at QB.

But let's just put ourselves in a hypothetical situation. You choose a QB who looks pretty good in practice. I mean, they all look bad, but this one looks less bad. So you play this guy, and he sucks. Oh god he sucks so bad. You're pretty sure he's going to die out there. A couple of games go by, and you're pretty sure this kid has irreparable brain damage. So you try the kid who looked slightly worse, but hey, maybe he's got a shot. Oh god he's even worse. How is that possible? Well now what? You gonna put that first guy back in there, or someone else entirely? The fans hate you for mismanaging the players, but as far as you can tell, none of these kids have ever even seen a football before they came to practice.

Welcome to UConn Football.

Reaction Score
I understand that people hate rotating QB's, and mismanaging them, and all of the insane systems we've attempted to use to get competent play at QB.

But let's just put ourselves in a hypothetical situation. You choose a QB who looks pretty good in practice. I mean, they all look bad, but this one looks less bad. So you play this guy, and he sucks. Oh god he sucks so bad. You're pretty sure he's going to die out there. A couple of games go by, and you're pretty sure this kid has irreparable brain damage. So you try the kid who looked slightly worse, but hey, maybe he's got a shot. Oh god he's even worse. How is that possible? Well now what? You gonna put that first guy back in there, or someone else entirely? The fans hate you for mismanaging the players, but as far as you can tell, none of these kids have ever even seen a football before they came to practice.

Welcome to UConn Football.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Reaction Score
Too late to RS Boyle as well?
I don't see current depth chart allowing for it. At this point, getting snaps since his FR year, he would probably see this as a negative and a step backward IMO.

Reaction Score
A conversation you had at a season ticket holders' barbeque in no way translates to on-field performance. Nobody can accuse him of a lack of effort over the past two years, and I'm sure he wants to succeed with every fiber of his being, but he has shown absolutely nothing that makes me confident in him playing quarterback for this team.

I make a decent living in my profession which involves assessing body language and demeanor. Unfortunately everyone (including me) is texting these days. You may be surprised but pressing the flesh and making eye contact can reveal a lot about a person. When I had my encounter with Tim Boyle, I saw and discerned a very confident and committed individual. I always knew he had the physical tools but felt he lacked swagger and confidence. I saw some of that when I was with him. I know that Diaco is seeing the same things. I am not naming Boyle the starter however (Sheriffs is the leader as of now) I am saying to keep an eye out for him. I maintain that he will be an important player in 2015. I agree he hasn't shown us much yet. Time will tell. Maturity is something you don't get from a playbook.

Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion that the lack of a true #1 has been a contributor to our horrible offense for the past 5 years. You just can't play 3 or 4 guys back there and expect to have any consistency. Diaco needs to grow a pair, and name a guy as #1 and let him develop chemistry with the line the receiver and the backs. Never mind that somebody might do one thing better. Who is best overall? That's our guy. And if Sherreffs drives the team to the 15 and it's a passing situation, let him pass. Don't bring in Boyle because he is a better passer. No key backups. No quarterback for a series. Just the guy.

Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion that the lack of a true #1 has been a contributor to our horrible offense for the past 5 years. You just can't play 3 or 4 guys back there and expect to have any consistency. Diaco needs to grow a pair, and name a guy as #1 and let him develop chemistry with the line the receiver and the backs. Never mind that somebody might do one thing better. Who is best overall? That's our guy. And if Sherreffs drives the team to the 15 and it's a passing situation, let him pass. Don't bring in Boyle because he is a better passer. No key backups. No quarterback for a series. Just the guy.

I truly hope NC State missed it on Bryant but the reason he's at UCONN is NC State was going to move him to Fullback or Linebacker. On one hand that is okay because I like having a tough hard nose leader and Diaco says he can chuck it so I'm cool with that but on the other hand Boyle has the Better arm and from what Diaco says is healthy and gotten a lot better this year. Time will tell. Heck, Ohio State won the National Championship with their third string QB! Maybe Garrett Anderson will be the guy after all!

http://www.scout.com/college/north-carolina-state/story/1318838-position-change-for-shirreffs

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn had a No. 1 in 2011 (Well, not really a #1, but he was the starter and played the vast majority of the offensive snaps as if he were a #1). His name was Johnny McEntee.

UConn had a starter in 2012 His name was Chandler Whitmer.

In 2013, Casey Cochran emerged as a starter and he was on his way (I feel) from emerging from the platoon in 2014.

What's the point? A starting QB does not a good offense make if that QB is not very good to begin with or has significant outside influences, such as a deficient offensive line and/or butter fingered running game.

Reaction Score
Even though Boyle doesn't fully fit the mold for the type of quarterback Diaco prefers, the junior still has room to grow and the opportunity to capitalize on the potential of his strong arm and ideal frame. This is his first chance to experience continuity in the coaching staff and he also still needs time to wash off the post-traumatic stress of being thrown into the fire as a freshman behind a wet paper bag o-line.

From this alone, if Boyle doesn't come out with a legit shot at leading this football when fall camp starts (and we'll know for sure in 2 weeks... that's when the dust pretty much clears and the depth chart will start taking shape for week 1) he should take his redshirt year and work on becoming what we need, a reliable QB who, if too many injuries happen, might be forced into action (praying for this not to happen)... or... (imo) find a system elsewhere that fits his attributes....

Reaction Score
UConn had a No. 1 in 2011 (Well, not really a #1, but he was the starter and played the vast majority of the offensive snaps as if he were a #1). His name was Johnny McEntee.

UConn had a starter in 2012 His name was Chandler Whitmer.

In 2013, Casey Cochran emerged as a starter and he was on his way (I feel) from emerging from the platoon in 2014.

What's the point? A starting QB does not a good offense make if that QB is not very good to begin with or has significant outside influences, such as a deficient offensive line and/or butter fingered running game.
I think we cleaned up the butter fingered running game after the first half of the last season pretty much... Seemed like our RBs came out a little nervous early on... I truly feel we'll see much better results out of that group this upcoming season. Way too much talent there not to. As for OL, if one hand knows what the other is doing (finally) we should shock some folks this year for sure...

Reaction Score
I don't see current depth chart allowing for it. At this point, getting snaps since his FR year, he would probably see this as a negative and a step backward IMO.
IF we can keep the 1st and 2nd stringers healthy thru 12 games maybe Boyle can get that redshirt year, no?

Reaction Score
IF we can keep the 1st and 2nd stringers healthy thru 12 games maybe Boyle can get that redshirt year, no?
Tough to go into season with just two active QB's.

Reaction Score

I don't see Boyle Red Shirting. Davis should RS this year. If Sheriffs get's the start and is running like I think he will be, then he is susceptible to injury. You need Boyle and Anderson in the stable.

Reaction Score
From this alone, if Boyle doesn't come out with a legit shot at leading this football when fall camp starts (and we'll know for sure in 2 weeks... that's when the dust pretty much clears and the depth chart will start taking shape for week 1) he should take his redshirt year and work on becoming what we need, a reliable QB who, if too many injuries happen, might be forced into action (praying for this not to happen)... or... (imo) find a system elsewhere that fits his attributes....
For heavens sake why would you redshirt Boyle now if he doesn't land the #1 spot? He doesn't fit your system. He will have lost the job to a guy who is coming back and presumably will be the guy to beat next year too and you have 2-3 More quarterbacks in camp next summer including the guy who you think is your future star. You don't redshirt a guy to be the backup. In terms of football Boyle made a bad choice at least or he was over rated. He probably could have been a star at Villanova or somewhere. But he isn't red shirting here. We have moved on.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Tough to go into season with just two active QB's.
Redshirts are "awarded" after the year. In theory, Boyle can suit up for every game and he can be named 2nd sting back up with every intention of being so. OTOH, if he does not play, he is eligible for a redshirt.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think we cleaned up the butter fingered running game after the first half of the last season pretty much... Seemed like our RBs came out a little nervous early on... I truly feel we'll see much better results out of that group this upcoming season. Way too much talent there not to. As for OL, if one hand knows what the other is doing (finally) we should shock some folks this year for sure...
Different topic than what I was referring to, but I agree with you. To a much larger extent than anyone admits here, QB play is dependent on the other 10 positions on the field. A QB cannot succeed when he's on the bench (e.g. when the offense loses a fumble). A QB cannot succeed when he is running for his football life. A Coach cannot succeed if a QB is not in position to succeed. I expect to see a much more efficient offense.

Reaction Score
Boyle has the makings of a great pro style QB.

Only problem is that we don't have the offensive line to run a pro style offense. Boyle's lack of mobility as a straight drop back QB puts him at a complete disadvantage.

We simply do not have a strong enough offensive line to not start Sherriffs. We need a guy that can salvage a broken play, because if history is any guide, we'll have a lot of them this year.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Boyle has the makings of a great pro style QB.

Only problem is that we don't have the offensive line to run a pro style offense. Boyle's lack of mobility as a straight drop back QB puts him at a complete disadvantage.

We simply do not have a strong enough offensive line to not start Sherriffs. We need a guy that can salvage a broken play, because if history is any guide, we'll have a lot of them this year.

among other things...his lack of mobility is down the line of things Tim needs to improve upon.

Reaction Score
among other things...his lack of mobility is down the line of things Tim needs to improve upon.

Agreed but coming out of HS and from the little we have seen I think it's fair to say that he has the potential of a strong drop back QB.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Agreed but coming out of HS and from the little we have seen I think it's fair to say that he has the potential of a strong drop back QB.
Agree to disagree...if you cant read the field there is no potential.

If he proves that he can read the field then game on.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Unless Boyle has figured out the solution to his 1-11 ratio. He can do whatever he wants, so long as playing QB for this team isn't one of them.

If he has figured it out, then put him in there because he can absolutely throw it.

Like the rest of the team, I'm hoping something clicked in the off-season because incremental improvements don't get us very far.

Reaction Score
Boyles biggest issues are his accuracy and his ability to make the right reads. Those are two huge issues.

Reaction Score

I think that's due to Ron Johnson getting most of the carries in the second half of the season. He didn't put it on the deck once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom