QB Battle | Page 2 | The Boneyard

QB Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think there's still the possibility of a 2 QB competition between Sherriffs and Boyle. Sherriffs has the edge but both should be ready to run the offense with some support. After that you have a solid guy Anderson coming in but at a big disadvantage learning the system and personnel. Davis should get the RS this year with the plan being to give him a few snaps when possible next year and see how he develops. It sounds idiotic given where the offense has been but these 4 are a pretty decent mix of talent and experience and none graduate this year.

Boyle is going to fight for the job. Sherriffs will have to earn it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Presumably Weist as head coach could have countermanded that decision. He didn't.
Considering Weist's role with the team prior to being elevated to interim head coach it is quite likely that he was in on the decision making to promote Boyle prior to P getting canned. I realize that this doesn't fit with your agenda (which is to blame everything shy of global warming on Warde Manuel) so of course you will make comments such as the above.

As I keep saying Diaco didn't bring in a Juco because he thought it would be nice to have depth. He did it because he needed a competent back up. That is a role lots of Juco quarterbacks play. Bringing in Anderson gums up the long term plan so you only do it if you need it. We need it.
Depth is entirely why a JUCO was brought in. Anyone who has even minimal exposure to football realizes this. In 2005 we lost two QB's to injury prior to midway point in the season and needed to play a true freshman for some conference games. Last year we lost our top QB (permanently) very early and one of only two remaining scholarship QB's was likely very injured when he was playing (which was entirely out of need). It would be insane believing that we would be better off going into this season assuming that Shirreffs and Boyle would remain healthy all season and thinking that adding Anderson would hurt.

Reaction Score
We can not have brought in a guy who didn't start for his juco team to take meaningful snaps after a summer here - I pray. He is here for depth. And let's not act like we have tremendous depth at the position, we have 4 schollies there, which is low for 1A.

I, personally, would like to see BS as our #1 and stay on the field. I'd also like to see TB redshirt this year - as for what's the point, my point would be that he just completed his soph year and is on his 3rd HC and 4th O coordinator. I think he has talent, he just needs to slow the game down. Everyone points to Nova's QB and talks about how great he was. He was passed up, twice, for the starters role at Nova. Sometimes, things take time. Throwing kids not old enough to order a beer at the bar under the bus is a sport I will never understand.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Depth is entirely why a JUCO was brought in. .
If you are not looking at a JUCO transfer as a bona fide candidate to start, then by definition, it is depth. Back up = Depth.

Reaction Score
We can not have brought in a guy who didn't start for his juco team to take meaningful snaps after a summer here - I pray. He is here for depth. And let's not act like we have tremendous depth at the position, we have 4 schollies there, which is low for 1A.

I, personally, would like to see BS as our #1 and stay on the field. I'd also like to see TB redshirt this year - as for what's the point, my point would be that he just completed his soph year and is on his 3rd HC and 4th O coordinator. I think he has talent, he just needs to slow the game down. Everyone points to Nova's QB and talks about how great he was. He was passed up, twice, for the starters role at Nova. Sometimes, things take time. Throwing kids not old enough to order a beer at the bar under the bus is a sport I will never understand.

Aren't ya kinda contradicting yourself here by so quickly writing Anderson off? It's not like BS has a full season of meaningful snaps for NCST before he was supplanted.

Reaction Score
Throwing kids not old enough to order a beer at the bar under the bus is a sport I will never understand.

Go root for your hometown Pop Warner team if that's how you really feel. This is big time college football. Are we not allowed to talk reality and what we've all seen with our own eyes? I don't think many (save maybe a couple) have gone out of their way to knock Boyle hard. And those that have. . . . . .doesn't really bother me. I like Boyle. He's a good kid and has endured a lot here. He's been mismanaged by 3 head coaches in his 2 years here. That being said, he's shown nothing on the field that gives me any reason to believe that he will be a good QB for us. I could be wrong, who knows?

Reaction Score
I'm not blaming Warde for starting Boyle. I said it wasn't Pasqualoni but Weist who made the decision. Likely as newly named coach he did it in consultation with Warde. It was a bad decision.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
On the other hand, it is documented that he didn't. So there's that.

Reaction Score
Those of you dismissing Anderson because of his pedigree make me scratch my head. If he is the best we have, he should play. I don't care where he is from or whether or not he was a JUCO back up last year. Reports are that he was behind a running QB with better wheels than Anderson. That does not mean he is terrible. I could mean he fit his JUCO head coach's scheme better. Perhaps he has the right combination of arm/legs/head for Verducci/Diaco.

Perhaps this guy is our Phil Simms. The Giants fan base threw a hissy fit when they drafted him and did not cut him much slack in the beginning because he did not come from a big name program. He became a Giant icon once he proved himself on the field. Let's see Anderson play first before we dismiss him.

Reaction Score
I don't care who starts, I just hope we aren't alternating quarterbacks every possession this year. I couldn't stand that.

Agreed, nothing worse trying to play without making a mistake...Every time Boyle got in the game, he was back on the bench the next series...not easy to get in a rhythm or build the confidence of a 20 year old kid.

Reaction Score
A QB merry-go-round is the worse thing for us... That position needs to have the most stability on offense, and maybe even the entire team.. Hopefully we get there, finally...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You need one clear guy to step up. Based on recent performances he doesn't need to be a world beater to separate himself. That's why if it's not obvious who the number one is, then it's a problem.

I'm starting to wonder if we aren't taking enough shots at better guys. Surely there is a top 50% D1 QB recruit that would rather play right away than sit for 2 years or not see the field at all.

Or are we just that bad at developing the position. This is not a recent oline issue this goes back through the history of the program. PP/GDL, I know, blah, blah, blah.

I hope BD and co, can find there guy and do well enough to stay around to develop him. When you see places like Akron and Central Michigan find serviceable QB's, it makes you scratch your head.

Reaction Score
Aren't ya kinda contradicting yourself here by so quickly writing Anderson off? It's not like BS has a full season of meaningful snaps for NCST before he was supplanted.

I don't see the contradiction. BS has been part of this program for over a year now. Anderson likely just got here. And yes, I see a difference btw being the #2 at NCSt as a true frosh and being the #2 at Laney.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is that when we've had average D1 quarterback play we have been at least ok. Even slightly below average...but except for 3 games at the end of 2013 it has been a while since we've had average play from the position. Or even slightly below average.

Reaction Score
Go root for your hometown Pop Warner team if that's how you really feel. This is big time college football. Are we not allowed to talk reality and what we've all seen with our own eyes? I don't think many (save maybe a couple) have gone out of their way to knock Boyle hard. And those that have. . . . . .doesn't really bother me. I like Boyle. He's a good kid and has endured a lot here. He's been mismanaged by 3 head coaches in his 2 years here. That being said, he's shown nothing on the field that gives me any reason to believe that he will be a good QB for us. I could be wrong, who knows?

I can't disagree with the eyeball test either. I didn't like Boyle's command of the team last year but a lot can happen maturity wise in a year. He may have been missmanged but Tim's game experience, however negative will be valuable going forward. I spent some time with Tim at the Barbeque and he had a certain look in his eyes that told me he wanted the job and embraced the challenge. Don't get me wrong, I know the value of a true dual threat (Addazio didn't factor Boyle into his plans either) and if Sheriff's can deliver both a strong arm and mobility then I say YES!! My whole point is I don't think that Boyle is going to make it a cake walk for Sheriffs. QB controvercy or not, coaches love healthy competition. It makes everyone better in the long run. I remember a conversation I had with Shane Day several years ago and he told me that Boyle may have one of the best arms in the country. If the line improves ALOT, that will help everyone, particularly Tim Boyle. Given time he could be much more effective than in the past. I too could be wrong but I suspect, Tim Boyle will be a factor in the 2015 season.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I can't disagree with the eyeball test either. I didn't like Boyle's command of the team last year but a lot can happen maturity wise in a year. He may have been missmanged but Tim's game experience, however negative will be valuable going forward. I spent some time with Tim at the Barbeque and he had a certain look in his eyes that told me he wanted the job and embraced the challenge. Don't get me wrong, I know the value of a true dual threat (Addazio didn't factor Boyle into his plans either) and if Sheriff's can deliver both a strong arm and mobility then I say YES!! My whole point is I don't think that Boyle is going to make it a cake walk for Sheriffs. QB controvercy or not, coaches love healthy competition. It makes everyone better in the long run. I remember a conversation I had with Shane Day several years ago and he told me that Boyle may have one of the best arms in the country. If the line improves ALOT, that will help everyone, particularly Tim Boyle. Given time he could be much more effective than in the past. I too could be wrong but I suspect, Tim Boyle will be a factor in the 2015 season.

A conversation you had at a season ticket holders' barbeque in no way translates to on-field performance. Nobody can accuse him of a lack of effort over the past two years, and I'm sure he wants to succeed with every fiber of his being, but he has shown absolutely nothing that makes me confident in him playing quarterback for this team.

Reaction Score
A conversation you had at a season ticket holders' barbeque in no way translates to on-field performance. Nobody can accuse him of a lack of effort over the past two years, and I'm sure he wants to succeed with every fiber of his being, but he has shown absolutely nothing that makes me confident in him playing quarterback for this team.

Me neither but it's amazing how boys do grow into men. Sometimes sooner than later. I like the fact that we seem to be starting the season with three capable quarterbacks. Let's see what transpires. Got my tickets today!

Reaction Score
Confident Carl said:
Me neither but it's amazing how boys do grow into men. Sometimes sooner than later. I like the fact that we seem to be starting the season with three capable quarterbacks. Let's see what transpires. Got my tickets today!

Are you critical of anyone? :)

Reaction Score

I'd sign to have one competent QB on the roster right now. To say we have 3 capable, well, I admire your optimism.

Reaction Score
I'd sign to have one competent QB on the roster right now. To say we have 3 capable, well, I admire your optimism.

I am hoping we have 3 capable quarterbacks, Sherriffs, Boyle and Anderson with Tyler Davis and Brandon Bisak in development mode. My assessment is based on the following info.

Below is the best written material in chronological order that I think we have on QB situation to date. Sherriffs appears to be the leader in the clubhouse according to Diaco. He also states that Boyle is pushing hard (which is what I eluded to, for the #1 spot. It appears that Garrett Anderson is highly regarded but unproven accept for his JC record.

New Haven Register 4/10/2015
The No. 1 question heading into spring camp was who was going to be the starting quarterback. If Diaco knows the answer to that, he’s keeping it to himself. Bryant Shirreffs, who sat out last season after transferring from North Carolina State, has been working with the first team during the 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills the media was allowed to watch. Tim Boyle, who started the last three games of 2014, is the only quarterback on the roster to have taken a snap for the Huskies. According to Diaco, Boyle is pushing hard for the starting spot. True freshman Tyler Davis has also been seeing time during spring drills.

All the quarterbacks look great,” senior tight end Sean McQuillan said earlier in spring camp. “Bryant is working really hard, Tim is working hard; Tyler, it’s a little foreign to him coming out of high school but he’s doing great. The big thing from them is taking control and making it theirs. When they step into the huddle it has to be their huddle and all of those guys are doing a great job of that and establishing themselves.”

SNY 3/4/2015

What that pecking order will be remains an even battle right now. Boyle, a junior, has had several opportunities to grab the starting job over the previous two years and has been unable to do so. Boyle pass for 355 yards, completing 52.4 percent of passes, with one touchdown and three interceptions.

The talented thrower from Middletown has never got going at UConn in two years that didn’t go according to play. Boyle’s goal each of the his previous two seasons was to gain a redshirt year. He was always pushed into action and has looked overwhelmed. He has completed 47.4 percent of passes for 956 yards and 1 TD to go against 11 interceptions. This is Boyle’s second spring practice at UConn and while he is the most veteran of QBs, remains a young player in snaps and age.

Shirreffs comes as a transfer from N.C. State and Diaco described him as a linebacker playing quarterback. His speed and agility are superior to Boyle and he has a good enough arm to play the position. He’s stronger, faster, but doesn’t have quite the throwing ability of Boyle.

“Physically, they are different, they move different,” Diaco said of Shirreffs and Boyle. “Bryant is a quicker and faster player. He’s overall core strength and body strength. He’s a stronger overall player body-wise than the other twp. He’s a faster player in term of leg and running speed…

“Tim has a stronger arm in terms of velocity, rotation, down the field length. There’s a strength right there in Tim’s corner. Tim’s taller from a vision standpoint. I am excited to see what decisions they both make moving forward.”

UCONN Blog 4/12/2015

UConn Football: Quarterback battle has a leader, competition will continue...
Bob Diaco has declared a leader in the quarterback race. But two new players will join the roster in June and the competition will continue into fall camp.

Diaco maintained Shirreff's hold on the lead after the game, ahead of Tim Boyle, with freshmanTyler Davis in third.

Shirreffs has a decent arm, but has gained separation from the pack thanks to his ability to extend plays with his legs. The NC State transfer looked rusty at the start of yesterday's action, and understandably so, but ultimately Diaco was pleased with his performance, "(early on) you could see he hadn't played on an actual football field in a stadium for a few years. After maybe five minutes, six minutes in he seemed to settle into some form."

Even though Shirreffs missed on a couple of his throws and had a few passes batted down at the line, he remains the leading candidate for the starting quarterback job. Diaco seems to favor a quarterback who can run and it shows with the players he has brought in thus far, including Shirreffs, freshman Tyler Davis, and two new faces who will join the team in June.

Both newcomers, one a junior college transfer (Anderson) and the other a preferred walk-on, (Bisak) will be in the fold according to Diaco, who repeatedly insists these two are not just "camp arms" brought in to take practice reps.

Garrett Anderson, a quarterback from Laney Junior College in Oakland, California is the most likely of the two new guys to be a factor in this competition. Standing at 6-foot-2, 225 pounds, Anderson will be eligible to play right away. He also had an offer from Houston, and was scheduled to visit Colorado State, but cancelled the trip and committed to UConn after visiting the first spring practice.

Anderson, who runs a 4.6 40-yard dash according to Hudl, can make plays with his feet. At the beginning of his highlight reel, you see him evade the rush, roll to his left, and whip the ball 35 yards downfield to an open receiver. You see more of the same across the rest of tape. He earned the starting job as a freshman at Laney, but actually lost it in his sophomore year to UNLV-bound Kurt Palendech.

While Garrett Anderson could make a splash in the competition, I believe Tim Boyle has the best chance of supplanting Shirreffs from the top spot. Diaco mentioned that Boyle had nagging issues in two key areas which affected his lower-body mechanics last year but is now fully healthy. It really showed in Boyle's performance yesterday, with Diaco describing his improvement as "profound."

"[Boyle] played well, he's getting better," Diaco said after the spring game, "If you go back and watch a few tapes of it, you'll see a little bit more bend in his ankles and knees and waist because he feels better. So he's finally healthy for the first time. His drops are so much cleaner. His balance and weight distribution when he throws is so much better."

Even though Boyle doesn't fully fit the mold for the type of quarterback Diaco prefers, the junior still has room to grow and the opportunity to capitalize on the potential of his strong arm and ideal frame. This is his first chance to experience continuity in the coaching staff and he also still needs time to wash off the post-traumatic stress of being thrown into the fire as a freshman behind a wet paper bag o-line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom