PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Offer) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Academics shmacademics. A kid could argue academics when kids actually graduated from schools. If you're only going to a school for 1 or 2 years, you're never completing your degree. Why spend two years busting your in school when you're only is putting in your time until you can go to the NBA? When you earn $100 million+, amazingly no one seems to care what school you attended....

There are 450 roster spots in the NBA. By contrast, there are 4,420 scholarships available at the Division I level. It's a numbers game. Furthermore, due to Waters' size, he is pretty universally seen as a 3/4 year player, and his NBA status is very uncertain.

Reaction Score
Academics shmacademics. A kid could argue academics when kids actually graduated from schools. If you're only going to a school for 1 or 2 years, you're never completing your degree. Why spend two years busting your in school when you're only is putting in your time until you can go to the NBA? When you earn $100 million+, amazingly no one seems to care what school you attended....
Waters is about 5'10" and not a freak athlete, its probably a good bet that he's staying all 4 years.

Reaction Score

He'd have to be way better than advertised to be a 1 or 2 year player.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
When you are a lot less than 6 feet tall, you should be concerned about your education.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know. From what I've seen, he's got the ball on a string. I like his game. He'd be impossible to press with his speed and ball handling. El Amin and Boatright were under 6' feet and did pretty will .

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I don't know. From what I've seen, he's got the ball on a string. I like his game. He'd be impossible to press with his speed and ball handling. El Amin and Boatright were under 6' feet and did pretty will .

Boatright was a four-year player and El-Amin's NBA career wasn't what he had hoped for. Granted he has made a ton of money in Europe, but who knows? Waters may want to join the white-collar world if the NBA doesn't pan out as opposed to Europe.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
And there you have it, folks; the post that took this thread form cringe-worthy to embarrassing.

I have a friend who went to a basketball camp with Tremont several years ago. He told me that he's a perfectly nice guy with a good sense of humor -- why would anyone make a point to be a jerk to him?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
And there you have it, folks; the post that took this thread form cringe-worthy to embarrassing.
Don't be so serious all the time, life is short.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Some insecure adults in this thread, if the kid doesn't want to come here, who cares? Recruiting is so not a problem right now.
Especially when no one actually provided an actual quote. This is all based in one poster who thinks he maybe heard something that waters said that may have inferred Uconn didn't play on a high enough level.

Reaction Score
Some insecure adults in this thread, if the kid doesn't want to come here, who cares? Recruiting is so not a problem right now.
I assure you my opinion on Waters has nothing to do with insecurity.

Reaction Score
I think that education might be more of a priority for Waters than we're used to hearing. I have no inside info, but reading that his dream school is Duke and that Stanford is where he's going makes me think that he's turning to that type of school. Granted I don't like seeing top prospects (especially in-state ones) turn UConn down, but I think very few people would put UConn on a Duke/Stanford academic level.
If I remember correctly he is a very disciplined high honors student. Throw in his height as well and it makes sense that he may want to go to a top notch school, education wise.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Waters is an excellent student-athlete who has every right bit as much the right to choose his college as we did.
Our program does not need him. I just thought it would be a good thing to warm-up the relationship with the New Haven basketball crowd.
In my experience, they are not UConn's biggest fan. Not a big deal.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
I have a friend who went to a basketball camp with Tremont several years ago. He told me that he's a perfectly nice guy with a good sense of humor -- why would anyone make a point to be a jerk to him?
Interesting. A friend of mine from work has a son who played aau ball with waters and says that him and especially tremonts dad are prima Donnas

Reaction Score
Interesting. A friend of mine from work has a son who played aau ball with waters and says that him and especially tremonts dad are prima Donnas

I've heard this as well. He may be a good talent but I'm okay with him going somewhere other than UConn.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Kids tend to change when they have hype/high rankings surrounding them.

Reaction Score
Duke doesn't want Waters. All their point guards the next few years will be top 15 guys. For next year they have Frank Jackson and for 17 they're recruiting Duval, Brown and Coleman ahead of Waters. If I were him I'd go to Stanford for the academics. if he wants to have a basketball career, then Uconn obviously is his best shot.

Reaction Score
Just got back from watching Cushing Academy vs Proctor Academy. Got to see Makai for the first time in person. First, the good, then some less good points. Because of comments about an unorthodox release, I had assumed he was a scorer more than a shooter, but he hit several 3's, mid range shots, and driving layups. His makes were so pure they barely made the net move. He missed a couple foul shots but made several that were also perfect. The scorers table was empty 30 sec after the game and there was no running scoreboard, but he had 18 in the first half and easily over 30pts for the game. He is strong with the ball, and in a close game with backcourt deny pressure he broke for the ball hard and made the entry pass easy. He is a willing passer. He found open spot up shooters repeatedly when he drove, he made 2 good post entry passes, and he made 2-3 nice passes to players ahead of the field in transition. On the downside, if he hasn't got the ball on offense he is standing and watching, on defense standing and watching is his preferred strategy. On occasions with a full on scrum under the basket, there is 1 player that doesn't jump or hit the floor and you can guess who. He seeks and takes a ton of contact on his drives to the basket, but prefers to wave at guys on defense. I'm sure UConn would coach the proper ethic, but it was disappointing that his DNA has an off and on switch possession by possession. For all the talent of Ben Gordon and Jerome dyson, they would both float at times in a disinterested fashion and then take it to high gear, that is what I saw this afternoon. Cushing won by 10 I believe when the game was tied with 4 min left. I like kids that win.

Respectfully submitted to the boneyard for what it is worth.

PS sat with one of the dad's from the Proctor Team player #5 who holds offers from Temple, George Mason, George Washington, and a handful of others. Nice player but an undersized forward with a shot.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
For those who don't want to read it, there are only 3 things worth mentioning:

- reclassing to 2016 is a possibility, though he says it's something that he'd have to work on re: finishing classes and wouldn't know for sure until after the season
- UConn & Providence are the two main schools in the mix. Sounds like Cooley has offered him a starting job - they're obviously going to be desperate with Dunn leaving after this season
- Dude makes lay-ups. Would be nice to have more of that on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom