OT: Wimbledon | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with Serena's coach. Azaranka is a much better player than Sharapova. Hopefully Sharapova's rankings drop and she gets to play Serena in the quarterfinals. Maria was really a good young fighter when she was young but I hear the word retirement in my head. Every match she seems to have one bad unfocused set.
Maria does what Maria does. Chrissy nailed it when she said that Maria just does not move well, AND she's stubborn. Against Serena, she was content to just hit as hard as she could and hope Serena melted down. What she NEEDED to do was mix it up. Drop shots, lobs, change pace, etc. When you are 0 and a zillion against a player, you have nothing to lose at trying something new...

Reaction Score
Serena didn't play well today, and still won easily. I feel for Maria when they play. She is a champion and true competitor, but she has to secretly wonder "why bother?"

128 women started the tournament and Maria was one of the last four standing: Nothing to sneeze at. While getting there, it is always possible that Serena might slip and stumble. Heather Watson was two points from pulling off the upset. What is surprising, though, is that Maria has not been able to strengthen the weaknesses that become so glaringly obvious against Serena.

Reaction Score
128 women started the tournament and Maria was one of the last four standing: Nothing to sneeze at. While getting there, it is always possible that Serena might slip and stumble. Heather Watson was two points from pulling off the upset. What is surprising, though, is that Maria has not been able to strengthen the weaknesses that become so glaringly obvious against Serena.

Not my point. Making the semis at the greatest tennis tourney in the world is nothing of which to be ashamed. But but losing 34 out of 37 sets and 17 matches in a row to a contemporary has to take a psychic toll.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Anti-American?
Nope, just anti-Williams sisters. Not a big deal. Most sports fans have teams/players they hate and want to lose. I got a lot. Haters gonna hate. :D

Williams sisters, Mannings, Parcells, Mickelson, TN, Ohio St., Florida, Miami, ND, Tottenham, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Giants (prolly hate them more than any team in any sport), Redskins, Jets, Steelers, Cubs, Yankees, Pirates, hmmm, might be some others, but that's about all I can think of right now.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Roger's game looks great but I'm not sure I see anyone beating Novak. I'll be rooting for Roger though... And good for Hingis - in the finals in both the women's doubles and the mixed doubles. That's quite something for a lady who retired 8 or so years ago and returned to tennis 3 or so years ago!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, Roger took Djoker to five sets last year. He is the grass court guru, and he's starving for another Slam. I wouldn't be shocked if he lost, but I'll be rooting like a madman for that guy. Go Roger- get Wimby #8!!!

Reaction Score
Nope, just anti-Williams sisters. Not a big deal. Most sports fans have teams/players they hate and want to lose. I got a lot. Haters gonna hate. :D

Williams sisters, Mannings, Parcells, Mickelson, TN, Ohio St., Florida, Miami, ND, Tottenham, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Giants (prolly hate them more than any team in any sport), Redskins, Jets, Steelers, Cubs, Yankees, Pirates, hmmm, might be some others, but that's about all I can think of right now.
Well, when they played for the U.S. in Davis Cup play, did you root against them?
My point is that, I also love to hate some players, (Skylar comes to mind) but when they represent the U.S., I root for them whole heartedly. Serena, is representing the U.S., so for me, that's who Americans should root for when playing against players representing other countries. I want the want the all time greatest players to be from the U.S.A. On the men's side, you now have Federer, who many consider to be the greatest men's player of all time, without an American in sight. On the women's side we have Graf, arguably the greatest women's player. But, we have Serena, quickly approaching Steffi, need I say any more?
On another note, Martina won 6 straight Grand Slams, unbelievable, considering she played in the best era.

Reaction Score
Well, when they played for the U.S. in Davis Cup play, did you root against them?
My point is that, I also love to hate some players, (Skylar comes to mind) but when they represent the U.S., I root for them whole heartedly. Serena, is representing the U.S., so for me, that's who Americans should root for when playing against players representing other countries. I want the want the all time greatest players to be from the U.S.A. On the men's side, you now have Federer, who many consider to be the greatest men's player of all time, without an American in sight. On the women's side we have Graf, arguably the greatest women's player. But, we have Serena, quickly approaching Steffi, need I say any more?
On another note, Martina won 6 straight Grand Slams, unbelievable, considering she played in the best era.

Shockingly enough, they've never played Davis Cup.

Reaction Score
The Williams sisters’ story is one of the best, and most interesting sports histories to come along in a long time. The story is not identical for the two, because Venus (how can anyone hate her?) is such a benign sweetheart. Serena, of course, is much, much grittier, more reflective of her urban black background, and tough as nails, not the classic profile of a tennis player. The two are trained not in private academies but on public courts, and subsequently, to the very real dismay of many, crash a relatively elitist and mostly white sport where genteel behavior is treasured above all else. They not only crash the obvious barriers, but they dominate the sport, facing not only the overt and voluble racism of the fans (Indian Wells??), but the clear prejudice of a series of chair umpires and linesmen….and yet, alas, they still almost invariably prevail. Which individuals, and/or which teams, one elects to cheer or hate is a matter of indifference to me, but when it comes to these two, I think that any “hater” needs to closely examine his or her motivation, especially if the tendency is to lump them together.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The Williams sisters’ story is one of the best, and most interesting sports histories to come along in a long time. The story is not identical for the two, because Venus (how can anyone hate her?) is such a benign sweetheart. Serena, of course, is much, much grittier, more reflective of her urban black background, and tough as nails, not the classic profile of a tennis player. The two are trained not in private academies but on public courts, and subsequently, to the very real dismay of many, crash a relatively elitist and mostly white sport where genteel behavior is treasured above all else. They not only crash the obvious barriers, but they dominate the sport, facing not only the overt and voluble racism of the fans (Indian Wells??), but the clear prejudice of a series of chair umpires and linesmen….and yet, alas, they still almost invariably prevail. Which individuals, and/or which teams, one elects to cheer or hate is a matter of indifference to me, but when it comes to these two, I think that any “hater” needs to closely examine his or her motivation, especially if the tendency is to lump them together.
kinda agree... but "urban black background" isnt all that engrained in either sister in my opinion since they started tennis kind of early. "reflection" of urban black background tends to happen in mid-teens to young adult age (15-21).
BUT I "shole" do agree that they crashed thru those barriers... and it pissed off many for some reason (only they could but will not tell you).

Serena "growls" she's angry but if Hingis does it she's "locked in" "determined".... settle stereotypes that people don't understand/see.

Imagine if a black man tried that crap that McEnroe did... was his actions a reflection of his background?

How man are happy that Tiger fell off... and he doesn't have that "urban black background"?

It happens in WCBB as well, sometimes even within the UConn family/fanbase

Overall the Williams sisters story is a great one within the fabric of the United States history. I wouldn't care if they quit tomorrow (after raising the trophy) I would be happy to say I witnessed something special.

Reaction Score
In what way is she reflective of her urban black background?

Reaction Score
kinda agree... but "urban black background" isnt all that engrained in either sister in my opinion since they started tennis kind of early. "reflection" of urban black background tends to happen in mid-teens to young adult age (15-21).
BUT I "shole" do agree that they crashed thru those barriers... and it pissed off many for some reason (only they could but will not tell you).

Serena "growls" she's angry but if Hingis does it she's "locked in" "determined".... settle stereotypes that people don't understand/see.

Imagine if a black man tried that crap that McEnroe did... was his actions a reflection of his background?

How man are happy that Tiger fell off... and he doesn't have that "urban black background"?

It happens in WCBB as well, sometimes even within the UConn family/fanbase

Overall the Williams sisters story is a great one within the fabric of the United States history. I wouldn't care if they quit tomorrow (after raising the trophy) I would be happy to say I witnessed something special.
I agree with the latter half of your post, but I must ask, what exactly is this "reflection" of urban black background that tends to happen in mid-teens to young adult age?? "Shole???? What's that?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I agree with the latter half of your post, but I must ask, what exactly is this "reflection" of urban black background that tends to happen in mid-teens to young adult age?? "Shole???? What's that?
its a time of your life when you make your own decisions/choices... this can happen in the urban, suburban or rural areas of any city/town. A pre-teen/early teen isnt so much into being angry/uptight... they just want to fit in, get to know their body and if their outfit match. Please don't put his/her words in my mouth.

Shole which I put in quotations is derived from "sure is"... hope that helps :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
its a time of your life when you make your own decisions/choices... this can happen in the urban, suburban or rural areas of any city/town. A pre-teen/early teen isnt so much into being angry/uptight... they just want to fit in, get to know their body and if their outfit match. Please don't put his/her words in my mouth.

Shole which I put in quotations is derived from "sure is"... hope that helps :rolleyes:
Thanks, I was just seeking clarification. Shole, sounds like a black person talking. I thought it was sho, as in sho nuff.

Reaction Score
Page 4 of this thread gave me some nice giggle therapy.

Regarding Venus... I too would question why anyone would hate her. She has one of the sweetest dispositions. She also played in what I believe was the greatest match in women's tennis history against Davenport in the Wimbledon Final. She has been such a huge supporter of the game in general and has used her fame and fortune to help give hope to countless young girls in third world countries. I also have to admire someone who has been through so much medically during a professional athlete career and somehow she has never acted like "poor me." She is still training, fighting and competing at high enough levels to be considered a top 20 player in the World.

Regarding Serena... Her physical gifts are unmatched. They're also the cause of so much hatred, sexism and discrimination towards her. It's beyond disgusting. She had every right to unload on that linesman too. The linesman made a terrible call and after years of being at the wrong end of terrible calls she had enough. I actually kind of like, to some level, the unwarranted hate she receives because it makes it that much more fun to see her dominate.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
tennparker3 said:
Page 4 of this thread gave me some nice giggle therapy. Regarding Venus... I too would question why anyone would hate her. She has one of the sweetest dispositions. She also played in what I believe was the greatest match in women's tennis history against Davenport in the Wimbledon Final. She has been such a huge supporter of the game in general and has used her fame and fortune to help give hope to countless young girls in third world countries. I also have to admire someone who has been through so much medically during a professional athlete career and somehow she has never acted like "poor me." She is still training, fighting and competing at high enough levels to be considered a top 20 player in the World. Regarding Serena... Her physical gifts are unmatched. They're also the cause of so much hatred, sexism and discrimination towards her. It's beyond disgusting. She had every right to unload on that linesman too. The linesman made a terrible call and after years of being at the wrong end of terrible calls she had enough. I actually kind of like, to some level, the unwarranted hate she receives because it makes it that much more fun to see her dominate.
you left out how Venus has also been such a gallant proponent of equal pay for equal work for women. I think you're a hater. :)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Page 4 of this thread gave me some nice giggle therapy.

Regarding Venus... I too would question why anyone would hate her. She has one of the sweetest dispositions. She also played in what I believe was the greatest match in women's tennis history against Davenport in the Wimbledon Final. She has been such a huge supporter of the game in general and has used her fame and fortune to help give hope to countless young girls in third world countries. I also have to admire someone who has been through so much medically during a professional athlete career and somehow she has never acted like "poor me." She is still training, fighting and competing at high enough levels to be considered a top 20 player in the World.

Regarding Serena... Her physical gifts are unmatched. They're also the cause of so much hatred, sexism and discrimination towards her. It's beyond disgusting. She had every right to unload on that linesman too. The linesman made a terrible call and after years of being at the wrong end of terrible calls she had enough. I actually kind of like, to some level, the unwarranted hate she receives because it makes it that much more fun to see her dominate.
nice to see a LadyVols fan talking tennis... on their message boards its basketball and "softball" only, surprisingly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom