OT: Wimbledon | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like Roger, Nadal, Sampras and Serena
Good choices... Would you say Roger is the greatest men's player of all time?
I hate to say it, but I think he is. Very classy guy. I loved John McEnroe and Chris Everett. Serena and Nadal today.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Good choices... Would you say Roger is the greatest men's player of all time?
I hate to say it, but I think he is. Very classy guy. I loved John McEnroe and Chris Everett. Serena and Nadal today.
I dont know much about Mac nor Chris... before my time! I knew of Mac's antics tho

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Andy Roddick, Marat Safin, Fernando Gonzalez - all are pretty famous for either arguing vociferously with umpires, or having tantrums on the court. There are a bunch more too...

Reaction Score
John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Andy Roddick, Marat Safin, Fernando Gonzalez - all are pretty famous for either arguing vociferously with umpires, or having tantrums on the court. There are a bunch more too...
What about Ilie Nastase?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I root for Serena, Venus, Madison, Taylor, and Sloane.... the rest of the women's players can kick rocks for all I care :p
when Serena plays any of them who do you root for?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Again, I respectfully disagree.
That's ok, you can be wrong. :cool:

Haven't you heard the announcers?
Really? You're using announcers in your defense now? Pretty much given up then, huh? :rolleyes:

They, like myself root for Americans in these events.
That's fine, you can root for whomever you want for whatever reason you want. But the fact remains, though they are FROM a certain country, they are not REPRESENTING that country. They don't wear that country's uniform, there is no country team. They are just individuals. (unless they are playing doubles :D)

That's your prerogative to root for who want. So, you don't root for Serena? If not, may I ask why?
Just hate her. She's evil. Mostly just a sports thing, some teams/players you like, some you hate. (I don't hate her as much as I do Venus though. So if that's any consolation. ) Probably has a lot to do with her fans??

She's American, that's all I have to say.
And that's fine.

How could you possibly root against a player that puts us on top of the tennis world? She is the greatest.
Well because she doesn't put USA at the top of the tennis world. USA only plays tennis in the Davis Cup and Olympics. Other than that they don't have a team.

I'll agree she is very, very good. Navratilova was probably the best I ever saw though. But that's always gonna be debatable. And an IMO thing.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
when Serena plays any of them who do you root for?

Taylor

So, you only root for black players?

Well I only root for American players that Ive actually seen play...... and that play a style that i enjoy watching. Im sure there are other americans out there, but Ive never actually seen them in action. Townsend's game is the one I enjoy watching the most... hands down.

On the men's side the three players I root for are Isner, Richard Gasquet, and Gael Monfils. Isner is from my city...... Gasquet has the most beautiful backhand Ive ever seen... and Monfils is just so entertaining on the court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's ok, you can be wrong. :cool:

Really? You're using announcers in your defense now? Pretty much given up then, huh? :rolleyes:

That's fine, you can root for whomever you want for whatever reason you want. But the fact remains, though they are FROM a certain country, they are not REPRESENTING that country. They don't wear that country's uniform, there is no country team. They are just individuals. (unless they are playing doubles :D)

Just hate her. She's evil. Mostly just a sports thing, some teams/players you like, some you hate. (I don't hate her as much as I do Venus though. So if that's any consolation. ) Probably has a lot to do with her fans??

And that's fine.

Well because she doesn't put USA at the top of the tennis world. USA only plays tennis in the Davis Cup and Olympics. Other than that they don't have a team.

I'll agree she is very, very good. Navratilova was probably the best I ever saw though. But that's always gonna be debatable. And an IMO thing.
Announcers and tennis fans everywhere.

So, you don't represent America, unless your in uniform. All I can say is don't ever try telling a terrorist that. Because we would absolutely miss you on this board. Can you imagine rooting for Max Shmelling (don't know if I spelled that right.) over Joe Luis? You root for the American, anything else, imho, is unAmerican.
You hate Serena? You hate Venus more? Venus is the nicer sister. That's it, I hate You Meyer7....Lol. Put away the hate, recognize Greatness while its here.
Fans? You're blaming the fans now? WTH

The number 1 player in the world is American. When the spaniard reached the finals, it was stated that " she was the first Spanish woman to reach the finals in so many years", I'm sure that the tennis fans of Spain recognize that fact and were rooting for their countrywoman. What patriotism! I wish we had that here. So, you only root for Serena when she has the Uniform on? She takes off the uniform and there goes your fandom?

Martina was indeed great, I endured much torture over the way she beat up on Chrissy. It felt like Tennessee or Notre Dame beating our girls. I just think that with Serena's serve, powerful ground strokes, court coverage, defense and mental toughness, put that all together and you have the most complete and unbeatable player in women's tennis history.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Announcers and tennis fans everywhere.
Adding in fans, doesn't help. Hell, there's TN fans, Giants fans, Tottenham fans. I mean they can't be bright.

So, you don't represent America, unless your in uniform.
In sports, ummm, no. And we're talking sports here, not military or terrorists, etc. :confused: WTH?

Can you imagine rooting for Max Shmelling (don't know if I spelled that right.) over Joe Luis?
Yea, you missed both. Schmeling and Louis. (Don't care, but since you mentioned it.) Sure, if I liked Schmeling better than Louis.

You hate Serena? You hate Venus more? Venus is the nicer sister. That's it, I hate You Meyer7....Lol. Put away the hate, recognize Greatness while its here.
Fans? You're blaming the fans now? WTH
Sure, the fun of hating teams/players/fans is half the fun of being a sports fan. If you don't have teams/players/fans you hate, you aren't much of a fan. And if you are rooting for someone only because "their American", well...there you go. SMH.

The number 1 player in the world is American.
So I should only cheer for the frontrunners? That's not being a fan.

So, you only root for Serena when she has the Uniform on? She takes off the uniform and there goes your fandom?
Eh, not so sure I would go as far to root "for" her, but I wouldn't root against her. I do the same for women's basketball players (Parker, Diggins, etc.) if they put on the USA jersey. But until they do, they are not representing the USA. Just like Williams.

Reaction Score
Adding in fans, doesn't help. Hell, there's TN fans, Giants fans, Tottenham fans. I mean they can't be bright.

In sports, ummm, no. And we're talking sports here, not military or terrorists, etc. :confused: WTH?

Yea, you missed both. Schmeling and Louis. (Don't care, but since you mentioned it.) Sure, if I liked Schmeling better than Louis.

Sure, the fun of hating teams/players/fans is half the fun of being a sports fan. If you don't have teams/players/fans you hate, you aren't much of a fan. And if you are rooting for someone only because "their American", well...there you go. SMH.

So I should only cheer for the frontrunners? That's not being a fan.

Eh, not so sure I would go as far to root "for" her, but I wouldn't root against her. I do the same for women's basketball players (Parker, Diggins, etc.) if they put on the USA jersey. But until they do, they are not representing the USA. Just like Williams.
All I can say is you're different.

My point is that if you're American, you represent America, especially when competing against players from other countries.

I Schmel something really foul here.

That's not the only reason I root for players, but it is one of the main reasons.
I say root for American players. We are on top in Women's tennis, it may not last forever. If you root against Serena for another American borne player, fine. But if you root against her for a player from another country, imho, that's foul. LOVE= UConn HATE = any team we play. LOVE= American players HATE= any international player/team we play

Front runners? So, I guess no more rooting for UConn then. Smh

If you're not for us, your against us. There is no middle ground.
The players you named are all Americans, that CHOSE to go to schools not named
UConn. Serena was born American, she didn't have a choice. There is no comparison between them. NCAA are all American teams, no foreign teams there.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
All I can say is you're different.
Why thank you.

My point is that if you're American, you represent America, especially when competing against players from other countries.
I completely understand your point. You're just wrong. No biggie.

But as a fan you can cheer for whomever you want, just like I can cheer against whomever I want.

It's a free (relatively) country. You know

image.png

Reaction Score
Why thank you.

I completely understand your point. You're just wrong. No biggie.

But as a fan you can cheer for whomever you want, just like I can cheer against whomever I want.

It's a free (relatively) country. You know

image.png
Aww man! You hate the only American female Grand Slam winners, since I don't know who? I really don't know who. Damn, I'm watching you Smarty pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom