OT: Wimbledon | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I thought that Serena's play today was some of the best I have ever seen from her. She was focused and kept her cool. I hope Sasha enjoys talking to Vika about what she can do differently the next time she plays Serena.

Did anyone else find Vika's behavior quite odd toward the end? I have never seen a player be so demonstrative trying to get pumped up and there was almost a sense of desperation and obsession.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I thought that Serena's play today was some of the best I have ever seen from her. She was focused and kept her cool. I hope Sasha enjoys talking to Vika about what she can do differently the next time she plays Serena.

Did anyone else find Vika's behavior quite odd toward the end? I have never seen a player be so demonstrative trying to get pumped up and there was almost a sense of desperation and obsession.
That's because, IMHO, Azarenka thinks she's as good as Serena. She was #1 after all, for a bit. She feels she should be able to beat Serena. I don't like Azarenka at all and hope her career goes the way of Nadal's - down fast.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That's because, IMHO, Azarenka thinks she's as good as Serena. She was #1 after all, for a bit. She feels she should be able to beat Serena. I don't like Azarenka at all.
she also had Serena talking to herself like... demonstrative trying to get pumped up and there was almost a sense of desperation and obsession

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Until late into the 3rd set, when Serena decided she was going to let her SERVE do her talking. She then took over the match. She barely missed on her return of Azarenka's serve just going long, otherwise the 3rd set was no contest.

Just wish all Tennis players would quite the groaning and moaning during matches. Its so distracting.

she also had Serena talking to herself like... demonstrative trying to get pumped up and there was almost a sense of desperation and obsession

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Most don't talk to themselves when they're winning

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Just saw the Williams-Azarenka match; Great, great tennis. Serena had to have her sA game yesterday to beat Azarenka; Just an incredible tennis player.

The quality of play was very high. Azarenka definitely pushed Serena to play her best and Serena was up for the test. I don't think Sharapova has a chance unless Serena completely collapses. Maria doesn't do anything better than Serena so it should be Serena'as match to win.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Just saw the Williams-Azarenka match; Great, great tennis. Serena had to have her A game yesterday to beat Azarenka; Just an incredible tennis player.
Man, she was on the ropes all the way to the end. Couldn't even put her away... but eventually did

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Your house? Sure. :D

No, but I can cheer against Williams.
Yeah you can... you are waiting for the day she lose, I crack up every time I see her twirl after a win.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yeah you can... you are waiting for the day she lose, I crack up every time I see her twirl after a win.
Absolutely. Would give me great joy. :D (prolly gonna be joyless this year though:()

Reaction Score
Now 2-0, first set. Would love to see Serena deliver a couple of cold bagels to The Shrieker!

Reaction Score
Sharopova hasn't been a force since she had surgery on her shoulder. The only reason she is still ranked at four is an indication at how weak the upper level of women's tennis is at. The only reason Sharopova still plays is she is marketing herself. I'm willing to bet that Serena wishes she had some competition out there but there just isn't any consistent players. On that note Serena is the best women's tennis player ever but I bet she wishes she had an Evert to her Navratilova.

Reaction Score
Serena didn't play well today, and still won easily. I feel for Maria when they play. She is a champion and true competitor, but she has to secretly wonder "why bother?"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
dang that was like UConn vs South Carolina... no contest

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to Serena and American women's tennis. 3 Americans in the final 8, and Serena on to the final. American men's tennis is awful, but our women's tennis is very strong with lots of up and comers too... No one at the level of Serena, obviously, but like Graf, Navratolova, and Evert, Serena is a once in a "generation" player...

Reaction Score
I agree with Serena's coach. Azaranka is a much better player than Sharapova. Hopefully Sharapova's rankings drop and she gets to play Serena in the quarterfinals. Maria was really a good young fighter when she was young but I hear the word retirement in my head. Every match she seems to have one bad unfocused set.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If Serena does win on Saturday, it means her breakdown in Slam championships (Oz-French-Wimby-US) would be 6-3-6-6. No one, not even Steffi (who went 4-6-7-5 herself), has won three of the majors six times.

Meanwhile, the number of consecutive majors won is Martina with six (the last three Slams of 1983 and the first three of 1984) and Steffi with five (1988 Aussie-1989 Aussie). If Serena once again is the reigning champion of all four majors, it's conceivable she could challenge those marks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom