OT: Wimbledon | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I get the picture... you just wrote a small essay of your opinion. I'm still tuning in, whomever isn't impressed move on. No one is forced to watch today's tennis
Did I really write a small essay? I guess I thought it was a small paragraph.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Day 3 is in the can. Leftover form Day 2 was Madison Keys and she prevailed today 6-4 in set 3.
Serena did what Serena does in being wacky in set 1 vs. a Hungarian qualifier, giving up 4 games.
Then the Red Bull kicks in for a 6-1 finish. She gets a home town favorite next Heather Watson, but that won't matter, will it?

The tournament had record heat today, never has it been 96 degrees at the W, and even in early eve when the Sisters played,
it remained over 90.
Fans did not see the invincible machine Venus was in round one. One has to think that her auto-immune malady met the heat, that
sapped some energy. But happily she was not plagued by the plethora of unforced errors that has done her in in so
many matches. She's through 7-6, 6-4 vs. a feisty 20-year-old Kazakh.
Next up is the Serb Kunic, who deserves attention for knocking out #14 Sara Errani.

It's pretty heady for you patriots, cause in addition to Madison, Serena, & Venus, you can still cheer on
Bethanie(who dispatched #9 Ana Ivanovic), Coco, and Sloane.
Ah, glory days.

Reaction Score
Did Meyers send you?
Ha ha .
I think what the women's game should do is take away the wasted advertising dollars from players like Bouchard and Sloane and then make them train like Serena, Steffi, Monica, Clisters, Henin , etc. I agree with Evert that until a player devotes themselves year round and is consistent they will never succeed. Did I hit the "essay" or " small essay" level? I'm sorry but I used to go to the Pilot Pen, U.S. Open and one time Australian Open and the game for the women is really at an all time low. Both Shriver and Evert agree with me so I feel good.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ok sorry just really disappointed in the women's game but your right. I'll just continue watching the men ( which may I say are ready exciting. ) I'm assuming the best women's athletes in the world don't bother with tennis.

Men's tennis isnt nearly as exciting as it was in the 1980s and 1990s. I'll watch Isner because he is from my city..... and there are a few others I that I enjoy watching... but nothing like the good ol days.

On another note.... while its good that they put a extra week between the French and Wimbledon....... it would have been great to have the women's final on July 4th.... well only if Serena was in the finals.

Reaction Score
Ok sorry just really disappointed in the women's game but your right. I'll just continue watching the men ( which may I say are ready exciting. ) I'm assuming the best women's athletes in the world don't bother with tennis.
I enjoy women's tennis, period. I mean we're watching a woman named Serena, making history. She may just be the greatest women's player of all time. I never get tired of watching her play, just like I never get tired of watching our women's team, even in blowouts. As far as the men go, McEnroe got me started watching the men's side. After Agassi and Sampras, I haven't watched nearly as much. No Americans to root for.

Reaction Score
As a huge women's tennis fan I have to say and also agree with Evert this is probably one of the weakest eras of women's tennis.

It's weaker than the early 2000s (the strongest era in the women's game), but not actually all that weak. There's no consistent rivalries at the very top these last few years, but the overall depth of draw may well be higher than it's ever been. In Evert's day, a good player basically had a bye to the quarters because the lower ranked players were so irrelevantly bad. Not any more.

The men's game is so exciting right now with Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Wawrinka and Murray.

The recent era for the men's game has been magnificent, but it's definitely not the norm. The glory days are looking like they are troubled, with players like Federer and Nadal on the decline and most others not exactly being spring chickens themselves.

There's no Graf/Seles
Amazingly good for a few years...until Seles got stabbed. She was never the same afterward.

Evert/Navratolova
True enough, one of the best rivalries in the game's history.

or Capriati/Venus.
Not much of a rivalry, really. They only played 4 times and Venus won all of them. Did you mean Serena/Capriati? That one was more interesting and dramatic.

Reaction Score
As a huge women's tennis fan I have to say and also agree with Evert this is probably one of the weakest eras of women's tennis. Serena should be able to win the next year without even a whimper. The men's game is so exciting right now with Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Wawrinka and Murray. The women's game is so empty with no competition or exciting rivalries. The women have a bunch of C plus players like Kvitova and Halep that can also lose 6 love at the drop of the hat. Remember Bouchard and Sloane Stephens and Ivanovic and Azaranka and Errani. It's a sad time for women's tennis. There's no Graf/Seles or Evert/Navratolova or Capriati/Venus. Just a boring time for the women's game. This is the first year I have no interest in the women's game.

Did Ms Evert really say that?
I do not agree that this is a weak era of women's tennis. It is , however, a very weak era for American women's tennis.
I also do not agree that the women's game is boring.

Reaction Score
I do not agree that this is a weak era of women's tennis. It is , however, a very weak era for American women's tennis.
The American men are even weaker. Who is the last American male to win a Grand Slam? Sampras? Agassi?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
the player against Venus today put on a nice show...

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
If you were elsewhere during Nadal's match, you missed one hell of an entertaining guy in German born Dustin Brown.
To Rafa he could have been Bad, Bad Leroy Brown.
A six foot five slender lad who embraced the ancient rite of serve & volley. With pony-tailed dreadlocks reaching way down to the lower vertebrae, he was all over the grass, and Rafa had too much time taken away or hurrying forward in vain for oodles of drop shots.
The still not-yet-confident Nadal dispatched in 4 by the #102 player, who was badder than old King Kong.

Friday John Isner is in action vs. #9 Croatian Marin Cilic, the victor in the last US Open, who can near match John in height and booming serve.
That completes the full, extensive, exhaustive list of US men tomorrow.

The US women now, well, there's enough of them to fill a doubles court.
You got your Coco, your Sloane, your Venus & Serena, and for you retirees who like to sleep in, not one of
their matches will force you(except for Eric Sandiego) to turn on the TV at 7am. They'll be arrayed from mid-morning to mid-afternoon.
And tomorrow there is still Madison Keys.

Ah, these are the best of times.

Reaction Score
Just saw a replay of the first set of the Nadal-Brown match. Talk about exciting. The most fun I have ever had watching a tennis match. Old school serve and volley with a few new school twists.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Just saw a replay of the first set of the Nadal-Brown match. Talk about exciting. The most fun I have ever had watching a tennis match. Old school serve and volley with a few new school twists.
dang it I guess I missed a good one

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If ESPN3 works for you, you can go to the Replay tab and catch most of the matches that have happened.
thanks, will do... and Im sure they may show it on the Tennis Channel

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Unfortunately for us viewers, Serena & Venus will be taking the court about the same time (momentarily). Coco has made it to the 2nd week.

Reaction Score
Men's tennis isnt nearly as exciting as it was in the 1980s and 1990s. I'll watch Isner because he is from my city..... and there are a few others I that I enjoy watching... but nothing like the good ol days.

On another note.... while its good that they put a extra week between the French and Wimbledon.. it would have been great to have the women's final on July 4th.... well only if Serena was in the finals.
You really don't feel men's tennis is exciting now ? I agree US men's tennis is null now since Roddick left but he never really reached his goals. I love to watch Berydich, Djokovic, Murray, Federer, Kyrogos, Nadal, Nishikori, etc. For US men it stinks but the game is really at a high now. The men are all in their upper 20's unlike the mid 30 women. I think Serena can play till she's 40 at this rate.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Agreed. Serena needed 3 sets to get thru about 4 rounds at the French. Granted she had the flu but... I think it's a terrific time for both women's and mens' tennis. Honestly, Aside from Djokavic, and Nadal, who's won any grand slams? it's the same on the women's side.

Going back just the past 4 years:
  1. Serena - 7
  2. Sharapova - 2
  3. Azarenka - 2
  4. Li Na, Kvitova, and Bartoli all with one.
If you go one year earlier, the winners were LI Na, Stosur, Kvitova, and Kjlisters.

For the men, it's not that much different:
  1. Djoker - 4
  2. Nadal - 4
  3. Murray - 2
  4. Wawrinka - 2
  5. Fed and Cilic one each
So basically if you cut Serena in 2, you'd have identical results on the men's side as well as on the women's side. I fail to see how one so much more exciting than the other. Just look at Wimbledon this year - 5 Nishikori withdrew. 11 Dimitrov is out. 7 Raonic is out. 10 Nadal is out.

On the women's side, it's even more exciting - Out are 3 (Halep), 7 (Ivanovic), 8 (Makarova), 9 (Suarez Navarro), 11 (Pliskova) and 12 (Bouchard).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Uh oh...... Serena might be in a bit of trouble :eek:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I must make a correction. John Isner is not the only US man in singles. Some fella named Denis Kudla (no, I
never heard of him either) has just won in 5 sets to be alive in week 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom