OT: Doping Scandel Peyton Manning and others | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Doping Scandel Peyton Manning and others

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No. Polian got Lance-Corporal Dawsoned by the other pillar of ethics and morality in Indianapolis, Jim Irsay.

I think Polian did his job. I think he put the franchise in the best possible position going forward. I think he was ordered to build a team that would unintentionally (on the players' parts) "Suck for Luck." I think Irsay saw the short term affects, reneged, and fired him anyway. Either that or Polian wanted out of the life (GM, not football) and this was as good an exit strategy as any. Why else is Polian nothing but cordial and respectful towards the Colts and still hold grudges against his old rivals?

Hmm. Not sure I agree with that. I think you are giving Irsay entirely too much credit. While I do agree that he would back, even promote, a tank job, I do not think he is intelligent or savvy enough to formulate such a plan. If so, he wouldn't have fired Polian afterwards, unless, like you said, Polian wanted out of football (I've no idea if that's the case).

If you remember, the Colts were all systems go in the 2011 offseason. The defense was virtually unchanged from 2010. They still had Mathis, Freeney, Powers, Bethea, et al. The offense had upgraded on the line: 1st rounder Anthony Castanzo (who busted) and the rest of the guys were the same (Addai, Wayne, Garcon, Clark, Saturday, et al).

It also doesn't make any sense given the timeline. In May 2011, Peyton had his third neck surgery, another in a series of relatively conservative measures, with the idea being to play the full 2011 season. I mean, he signed a 5 year $90 million contract extension in July 2011. So it was all systems go on Manning at that point.

Unfortunately for Peyton, his neck did not respond, and he was forced to undergo another, much more serious surgery in September 2011. The Colts team building had been completed at this point. Polian's mistake was that he hadn't drafted/developed a capable backup for Peyton, who'd previously never missed a game. There was literally no adjustment to be made, as good quarterbacks are not available on the free agent market at that time (usually ever, but at least you can sometimes pick up a game manager). In late August, the Colts had signed Kerry Collins, who was washed up and planning on retiring, when it became clear Peyton wasn't going to play. Polian rolled the quarterback dice, by essentially have one guy on the roster, and got badly burned.

Also, stepping back from it, Irsay certainly couldn't have predicted they'd have been the worst team in the league, and thus the winner of the Luck sweepstakes. It's not like the guys in the locker room are going to 'tank for Luck'. These guys are playing for career and contract extensions; can't afford that kind of mentality in the NFL.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Two things I forgot to mention:

They're different stories and this one hasn't even begun, give it time.

Yes, different story no doubt. The Peyton allegations are far more serious according to the collective bargaining agreement. The penalty for equipment tampering is (supposed to be) a $50,000k fine and slap on the wrist. Banned substances are a minimum of 4 games.

Yet a year long many million dollar investigation and round the clock news coverage was required for an equipment violation. Banned substance allegations? Crickets.

Does anyone think that Peyton Manning would have been treated differently than Tom Brady if he and ball boys were texting about the PSI's on the footballs and everyone found out?

Tom never texted anything about footballs. In fact, the worst thing to come out of 6 months of his txt messages was complaining about the pool company morons not having a white pool cover in Stock. Haha

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Hmm. Not sure I agree with that. I think you are giving Irsay entirely too much credit. While I do agree that he would back, even promote, a tank job, I do not think he is intelligent or savvy enough to formulate such a plan. If so, he wouldn't have fired Polian afterwards, unless, like you said, Polian wanted out of football (I've no idea if that's the case).

If you remember, the Colts were all systems go in the 2011 offseason. The defense was virtually unchanged from 2010. They still had Mathis, Freeney, Powers, Bethea, et al. The offense had upgraded on the line: 1st rounder Anthony Castanzo (who busted) and the rest of the guys were the same (Addai, Wayne, Garcon, Clark, Saturday, et al).

It also doesn't make any sense given the timeline. In May 2011, Peyton had his third neck surgery, another in a series of relatively conservative measures, with the idea being to play the full 2011 season. I mean, he signed a 5 year $90 million contract extension in July 2011. So it was all systems go on Manning at that point.

Unfortunately for Peyton, his neck did not respond, and he was forced to undergo another, much more serious surgery in September 2011. The Colts team building had been completed at this point. Polian's mistake was that he hadn't drafted/developed a capable backup for Peyton, who'd previously never missed a game. There was literally no adjustment to be made, as good quarterbacks are not available on the free agent market at that time (usually ever, but at least you can sometimes pick up a game manager). In late August, the Colts had signed Kerry Collins, who was washed up and planning on retiring, when it became clear Peyton wasn't going to play. Polian rolled the quarterback dice, by essentially have one guy on the roster, and got badly burned.

Also, stepping back from it, Irsay certainly couldn't have predicted they'd have been the worst team in the league, and thus the winner of the Luck sweepstakes. It's not like the guys in the locker room are going to 'tank for Luck'. These guys are playing for career and contract extensions; can't afford that kind of mentality in the NFL.
You're harshin' my buzz.

Can't you get on board a good conspiracy theory when you see one? :D

Reaction Score
As you are a UConn fan, Mau, I can't see how it is beyond your realm of possibility that ESPN could not perhaps have certain agendas.

I need to know why? Why Brady? Makes no sense and to me just a sense of entitlement from the fans. That's all I see, he gets treated fine as do the Patriots every year on the field. Just play quit the whining and what if's.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I need to know why? Why Brady? Makes no sense and to me just a sense of entitlement from the fans. That's all I see, he gets treated fine as do the Patriots every year on the field. Just play quit the whining and what if's.

Nothing to do with on the field. Honestly, Patriot fans want basically the same vetting of Manning using PED as Brady supposedly being the mastermind behind deflating footballs (as we know now, didn't happen).

ESPN was an NFL mouthpiece. Deflate-____ doesn't happen if Chris Mortensen doesn't erroneously report and intentionally leaves out the tweet of 2 P/SI under pressure. Certain parties wanted to bury Brady, it backfired, and they are doubling down. What makes Manning any different?

Reaction Score
Nothing to do with on the field. Honestly, Patriot fans want basically the same vetting of Manning using PED as Brady supposedly being the mastermind behind deflating footballs (as we know now, didn't happen).

ESPN was an NFL mouthpiece. Deflate-____ doesn't happen if Chris Mortensen doesn't erroneously report and intentionally leaves out the tweet of 2 P/SI under pressure. Certain parties wanted to bury Brady, it backfired, and they are doubling down. What makes Manning any different?

Who are the "certain parties" being dreamed up then 25and why? If he's this great guy all the fans crave then why, it makes no sense?

Husky25

Reaction Score
How did Deflate-____ start? Colts officials and former Jets officials who are now in the NFL offices. Quite petty, actually, but once the NFL engaged Ted Wells, they had to find something in order to save face. As it turns out the only thing they found was egg.

Reaction Score
How did Deflate-____ start? Colts officials and former Jets officials who are now in the NFL offices. Quite petty, actually, but once the NFL engaged Ted Wells, they had to find something in order to save face. As it turns out the only thing they found was egg.

Ok so that's over, what else? Someone felt there was something to it, many still do but it's over can everyone move on or is it still the Pats against the NFL/world? What does Peyton and HGH have to do with Tom Brady and the Pats - when the story becomes a story they will hammer him, or shall I say if? The pity me crap is beyond ridiculous, move on. Not everything that happens in the NFL needs to be compared to the Patriot Machine.:rolleyes:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Ok so that's over, what else? Someone felt there was something to it, many still do but it's over can everyone move on or is it still the Pats against the NFL/world? What does Peyton and HGH have to do with Tom Brady and the Pats - when the story becomes a story they will hammer him, or shall I say if? The pity me crap is beyond ridiculous, move on. Not everything that happens in the NFL needs to be compared to the Patriot Machine.:rolleyes:

Manning and HGH has nothing to do with Brady, per se. Fans are merely looking for a level of scrutiny on something that actually provides a competitive advantage that even remotely approaches what Brady endured for 8 months.

I don't watch NFL Countdown anymore, but I heard the Berman led panel's reaction. All of them implied that if Peyton said he didn't do it, then he didn't do it and lets move on. That level of deference was never afforded to Brady, nor Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, et al. for that matter.

Reaction Score
Manning and HGH has nothing to do with Brady, per se. Fans are merely looking for a level of scrutiny on something that actually provides a competitive advantage that even remotely approaches what Brady endured for 8 months.

I don't watch NFL Countdown anymore, but I heard the Berman led panel's reaction. All of them implied that if Peyton said he didn't do it, then he didn't do it and lets move on. That level of deference was never afforded to Brady, nor Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, et al. for that matter.

Let's not compare Brady to Bonds or Clemens that's a joke. He will not be left out of the HOF he so rightfully deserves. As to the Brady PSI crap, football was over and the NFL and their media needed something, timing was good. It's not so much now with the playoffs coming up and a week 17 with a little zip left. The Manning thing, if it's viable, will rear its ugly head after the Super Bowl.

Having said that, Berman's a piece of crap.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think that is exactly what the NFL is hoping for. They and their mouthpiece ESPN hope this gets swept under the rug and is forgotten about.

"That story? Old news. Nothing came of it...the fact that we didn't look into it all that deeply has nothing to do with it."

Reaction Score
I think that is exactly what the NFL is hoping for. They and their mouthpiece ESPN hope this gets swept under the rug and is forgotten about.

"That story? Old news. Nothing came of it...the fact that we didn't look into it all that deeply has nothing to do with it."

Fair enough. Still don't see a difference on how they would treat the 2 NFL darlings quite honestly, just how they treat the story itself. Maybe they are also gun shy after they screwed TB up with the balls and waiting for more?

Whatever, all hear say. Don't really care as football is over now.;) (minus ND/Oh St at 1)

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Still don't see a difference on how they would treat the 2 NFL darlings quite honestly, just how they treat the story itself. Maybe they are also gun shy after they screwed TB up with the balls and waiting for more?

Whatever, all hear say. Don't really care as football is over now.;) (minus ND/Oh St at 1)

The behavior of the league is hard to justify. Troy Vincent lied and got caught. Crickets. Dean Blandino lied and got caught (about the fact that the whole deflategate was a sting and a set-up). Crickets. The league was then de-pantsed when it claimed that Brady lied about his phone calls to the equipment guy. They never expected the New York judge to release the private transcripts to the media showing that in the Wells report, Brady testified that he talked to the equipment guy about the possible deflation of balls. It was a complete and total lie by the NFL. The media? Crickets. And then some unnamed NFL official gave Chris Mortensen PSI values fully 1.5 PSI lower than the actual measurements at halftime. Mortensen didn't apologize or retract his report. Crickets.

So, we have an example here of the league repeatedly lying and of the media taking no interest.

Just what are we as fans supposed to conclude about constant lies and no one caring?

In fact, rather than take Brady at his word at his press conference when he said he never directed anyone to deflate anything, the media actually twisted what he said to make it sound like he claimed that he can't tell the difference between balls with a 1 PSI differential.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So, we have an example here of the league repeatedly lying and of the media taking no interest.

Just what are we as fans supposed to conclude about constant lies and no one caring?

Not that any anti-Pats guys give two sh_ts, but what pisses Patriot fans off in addition (doubly so), is the same people who were excoriating the Brady and the Patriots based on all the garbage statements/reports by the NFL, are the same people now who are like, "whatever, move on Pats fans. We think what we think (based on no facts). Yeah, the NFL probably messed up a few places, but just let it go. Sick of Deflategate. Old news."

And Pats fans are like, "WTF? You just spent the last 8 months comparing Brady to bloody Hitler, and now that the truth comes out, not only do you not want to admit you were wrong, but you want to sweep it completely under the rug....and effectively let many of the falsehoods stand." It's annoying to say the least.

Reaction Score
Not that any anti-Pats guys give two sh_ts, but what pisses Patriot fans off in addition (doubly so), is the same people who were excoriating the Brady and the Patriots based on all the garbage statements/reports by the NFL, are the same people now who are like, "whatever, move on Pats fans. We think what we think (based on no facts). Yeah, the NFL probably messed up a few places, but just let it go. Sick of Deflategate. Old news."

And Pats fans are like, "WTF? You just spent the last 8 months comparing Brady to bloody Hitler, and now that the truth comes out, not only do you not want to admit you were wrong, but you want to sweep it completely under the rug....and effectively let many of the falsehoods stand." It's annoying to say the least.

At the very least, all fans should be concerned that the NFL just lies. Lies, lies,lies, and gets caught lying.

Reaction Score
I have figured it out finally, every9one is out to get the Pats and Brady, not just the NFL, everyone.

Next:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I have figured it out finally, every9one is out to get the Pats and Brady, not just the NFL, everyone.

Next:rolleyes:

Who said that?

I just stated the facts.

I didn't make any accusations or interpretations.

Everything's fine. It's OK if you like lying.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know this Guyer guy's phone #? I think some may need to be sent to Giselle. It's for her ankle, I mean shoulder.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know this Guyer guy's phone #? I think some may need to be sent to Giselle. It's for her ankle, I mean shoulder.

What happened the Pats lose today? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman