Non-Key Tweets | Page 416 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Here we go with Whaler probably being right, but taking an extreme stance. I agree that 2 teams are most likely if the Big 12 expands at all, but the Big 12 is unique in that it's athletics are probably the best combo of football and hoops top to bottom over the last 3 years, but their markets suck. They don't need more quality football programs, they need TV sets.

You don't need TV sets if you never have any intention of having a conference network. Bevo will see to that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
BYU and UConn bring a lot of TV sets, and Cincinnati is solid. Houston is not bad, and provides some protection against a Texas departure. All 4 are better than Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Iowa State and west Virginia from a TV perspective. I agree that 2 is by far more likely than 4, but 4 is not impossible.

And BYU on their own gets a million a game for their football - so for all those televisions their rights are less than a quarter of the Big 12 tier 1 payments. Color me unimpressed with BYU.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And BYU on their own gets a million a game for their football - so for all those televisions their rights are less than a quarter of the Big 12 tier 1 payments. Color me unimpressed with BYU.

How much do UConn and Cincinnati get per game? By that logic, the Big 12 should stand pat.

Reaction Score
Thank you Captain Obvious.

You're welcome.

That said If I'm UCONN I'm selling the very real value of the school as a burgeoning football and elite basketball program in the Northeast. They need to show how they bring value to the conference's Tier 1 Media Rights, as I am highly skeptical of there ever being a Big 12 Network to market your valuable Tier 3 Content on.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think Flugar's info is very plausible in that it represents OU's and WVU's desire. I hope he's right that OU can prevail. I don't know how accurate OU's self-assessment of their political power within the B12 is. We were burned by Duke's self-assessment in the past.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For all the insane things we've seen discussed - nothing makes less sense than the Big 12 adding 4 teams.

Star Wars has more basis in reality than that nonsense.
th

"Seductive, the power of conference network money is."

Reaction Score
How about this scenario? Texas relents and allows UCONN and UC in with the understanding that conference network develops with no financial loss to them (replacing LHN money for network $$) Conference renegotiates the GOR, and if no Big12 network say within 3 years, the GOR is null and void, and they are free to do whatever..

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I want to believe with anyone else, and Flugs tweets support the Cincinnati Enquirers work. The financial haircut is actually fairly normal for buying into any partnership, especially when the incoming partner has limited leverage, so I am not surprised at that.

Boren is on the record with Cincinnati, and hopefully UConn too.

If there was even a shred of interest by the Big 10 and ACC, something should happen soon. The ACC can't wait until we already have an offer to make up their mind.

Reaction Score
Hoping in the next round UConn = Matt Damon, B1G = Johnny Chan, and Big 12 = KGB. Check check check...
images

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I want to believe with anyone else, and Flugs tweets support the Cincinnati Enquirers work. The financial haircut is actually fairly normal for buying into any partnership, especially when the incoming partner has limited leverage, so I am not surprised at that.

Boren is on the record with Cincinnati, and hopefully UConn too.

If there was even a shred of interest by the Big 10 and ACC, something should happen soon. The ACC can't wait until we already have an offer to make up their mind.
Agree. I also agree that I don't think it will happen

The B1G doesn't need to act since they can wait for the Big 12's GOR to lapse to collect Connecticut. From the B1G perspective, the Big 12 is a safe landing place for us to grow until we reach their metrics.

The ACC, conversely, is a short term thinker. Without the ACCN, they aren't going dilute their current payoff, which already lags behind the big dogs.

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

The B1G doesn't need to act since they can wait for the Big 12's GOR to lapse to collect Connecticut. From the B1G perspective, the Big 12 is a safe landing place for us to grow until we reach their metrics.

The ACC, conversely, is a short term thinker. Without the ACCN, they aren't going dilute their current payoff, which already lags behind the big dogs.
Yeah when the B1G acts, it will be to scoop up a UVA, Kansas or OU, hopefully along with UConn but it won't make an incremental (for the B1g) move. They'll be like Mr. Burns and bide their time with the sword of Damocles hanging above the head of the B12 (and/or ACC). The ACC is also probably thinking that UConn will be available in the future whether from the AAC or if it joins the BXII which then gets blown up in the mid 2020s, and they have their own issues to address with Raycom.

Now, it would be great if either one of them were adherents of Sun-Tzu:

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.

Reaction Score
MH3 ‏@MH3 · 5m5 minutes ago
Nippert Stadium will need to add about 8k more seats in the next 8 years if they join B12.

Albert Ruscitto ‏@CincyP5orbust · 2m2 minutes ago
@MH3 Just announced addition of nearly twice that if moving to B12.

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 5m5 minutes ago UC president tells AD to "get ready" in regards to changing conference affiliations.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score

If the GOR would apply to all new teams (which I can't see it not) then we may miss the B1G bus when it rolls out in 4-6 years. If I am going to put all my eggs in one basket I go with the safe haven of the Big12. Even if that league eventually implodes then we are at least with the next tier of teams for P5 consideration and we stack up nicely against them.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 2h2 hours ago

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...pansion-possible-if-uc-joins-big-12/80405222/

President of UC comments.

Must read:

Read my tweets of today.

Boren has won.

Cincy/UCONN

E. Michael Kamp ‏@Epfourteen · 50m50 minutes ago
@flugempire UC announced today they are prepared to take stadium near 55k. That's not a coincidence.

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@Epfourteen
I know.

.....I know

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Nah, I think it will happen now, which is going to make the ultimate kick extra painful.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
They are? It's just Flug. Am I missing something?

Well, I'd count the fact that Big 12 is looking toward expansion, hired two firms, we were one of the firm's recommendations and now Fluguar's reports as all good news...I'm not ready to say we're in the Big 12 or anything, but we also need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and being overly pessimistic as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom