Non-Key Tweets | Page 399 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
the thing that doesn't make sense is that he assumes all of the schools get their home state to carry the BIG 12 netowork. I highly doubt this happens. On the other hand, he assums UConn wouldn't get any part of eastern New York or the New England states other than Connecticut. To me UConn brings a minimum of 10 million people while the other schools besides BYU will struggle to bring 5 million.

BYU wont bring as many TV sets as people seem to think. No cable company is adding a network to their primary tier because they have 7500 mormons in town that want to watch.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As has been pointed out, Nebraska never recruited Texas to the extent that Oklahoma has. They were built by Devaney through large, plains states farmboys in the trenches and inner-city (initially Chicago) at skill positions.

Osborne built his teams with national recruiting (California, Florida, New Jersey we always hit big). An average at best hire (Solich) was followed by a monumental error (Callahan was as damaging to them as Padqualoni was to us), but I still believe the loss of their rivalry with OU (the most negative result of the B-12 forming) has hurt them more than anything. Restoring that rivalry would be an immense addition to the B1G and would be a shot in the arm for Nebraska's football program.

Reaction Score
Nebraska isn't irrelevant...they're just chin deep in a really bad cycle (for them). They have the best fans in the country and would take over the Rent if they ever came here. That alone keeps them relevant. There will always be a huge passionate fanbase that demands success. They'll figure it out. I'm nowhere near as worried about Nebraska football as others.
I agree about their fans. The school is the pride of almost everyone that every called Nebraska home. Football and its past success is the source that unites all Huskers wherever they currently reside. My best friend here is a Husker grad.
UConn (in Basketball ) is not that far behind represented by our takeover of MSG in 2014. I have always felt the conditions for the state to adopt football to as great a % as we have historically embraced basketball is a huge plus.. I call it UConn as the Nebraska model. Small state, no pro team ,and really the only significant attraction.
We can sell our situation as a potential Nebraska model with the added benefit of a better market.

Reaction Score
How many straight years did the Huskers sell out their home games?

Since 1962 last I heard.

Nebraska prospered in their days of a relentless ground attack. Led by big offensive linemen (often seniors), Nebraska wore down opponents and gashed for yards and TD's.

One of the first dates with my now wife (our first was 9-16-80 vs Louisville) was a TV football party where we watched FSU-Nebraska (a couple of weeks later). The sportsmanship of the Husker fans is now part of Nole folklore. The team, coaches, and fans who journeyed to Lincoln, have talked about it for years.

Reaction Score
How many straight years did the Huskers sell out their home games?

Since 1962 last I heard.

Nebraska prospered in their days of a relentless ground attack. Led by big offensive linemen (often seniors), Nebraska wore down opponents and gashed for yards and TD's.

One of the first dates with my now wife (our first was 9-16-80 vs Louisville) was a TV football party where we watched FSU-Nebraska (a couple of weeks later). The sportsmanship of the Husker fans is now part of Nole folklore. The team, coaches, and fans who journeyed to Lincoln, have talked about it for years.

When I was 24 I spent a night in Lincoln driving cross country. Growing up in and around NYC my two distinct memories are:

* Seeing a cowboy wearing chaps. At that point I had never seen chaps on anyone outside of a participant in a pride parade in the West Village. I had no idea they served an actual purpose for farmers.

* I went to a sports bar and ordered nachos. The waitress asked me if I wanted regular or "EYE-TALIAN" nachos, which I was informed was dried pasta with marinara and melted mozzarella cheese.

Overall, great town.

Reaction Score
You can't corner free associating...it will go where it wants to go.

Reaction Score
My buddy was a farm boy in a small town in Nebraska ,his HS was so small it played 7v7 football .In those days every graduate of a state accredited school had to be accepted at The U of N. He was a walk on running back who played a year or two before he gave it up. It was also very inexpensive.
He lives a few houses from me and on football days the Husker red flag is planted in his front yard replaced by an AZ Cardinal flag on Sunday. (he is a season ticket holder and a member of the hardcore 20,000 who bought season tickets when Phoenix got a pro team. )
His wife is just as dedicated
Their are a number of other Nebraska families here all still loyal to their old State University.
A few years ago The B12 women 's played a golf tournament at my course.
On the 11th hole a Nebraka fan with a golf course lot had a huge Husker banner in their back yard. That had to make the girls feel real proud .Its like being part of a family.
I think UConn is family also but in a more Northeast type way. Football however is the prodigal son whose long awaited return is yet to come,

Reactions: pj

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I can't believe I am writing this but the Dude of WV just made a good point.

Dayooper correctly pointed out the real purpose of the B12 GOR is to maximize the media contract. So theoretically if the media contract was voided due to departures then the GOR's purpose would cease to exist. But that is not what the B12 GOR states. It is left vague and those open for interpretation. It is not tied to the media contract in any way.

Programs like WVU will try and use the GOR to force other B12 programs to remain in the conference. As the Dude stated the conference owns the GOR not the media partner. Will it work? Probably not...if the media money is in conference realignment then the money wins. But it will be ugly and there is no doubt programs like WVU will recognize their very future is in holding the Big12 together till the B12 GOR expires in 2025. So far no conference has succeeded in keeping a team once it has announced its intention to leave but it will be a messy court battle over the GOR if a B12 teams tries to bolt.

Depends on what the media companies say. If the above assumption is true (Not saying it is) than Fox and ESPN can say who can join. They can blackball anybody until the conference releases the schools they want. If Fox wants Oklahoma in the Big10 and ESPN wants Kansas in the SEC, they can say you can't add two to get you back to 10 unless you release OU and KU from their GoR.

Lot's of assumptions, the biggest is that ESPN and Fox would make more money with the above scenario than keeping things the same. That's the premise of the rumor, at least.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Key... Non-Key... Key... Non-Key: Paging @Dooley

KevinGehlTV 3:16pm via Twitter for iPhone
#Cincy, #UConn to #Big12 look like the only well-rounded options available. Sizable media markets, competitive football, attractive hoops.

KevinGehlTV3:18pm via Twitter for iPhone
BYU won't schedule Sunday games and West Va needs more eastern opponents. UCF/USF offer recruiting ground in FL, but weak in most sports.

KevinGehlTV3:20pm via Twitter for iPhone
#UConn should just open a satellite office in Irving, TX to be in Big 12's face every day. The American looks like slow death right now.

BTN Play-by-Play http://www.kevingehl.com/resume.html

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Momentum builds momentum. Does anyone here feel like Michigan State has been a historically powerful program? They haven't. They landed a great coach, and are riding the momentum. Go back pre-Saban, and Alabama wasn't doing much of anything. They had a tough stretch. Kentucky basketball has had tough stretches too. Ohio State football too, and not long ago. Michigan is just now coming out of a rough stretch. Indiana basketball still hasn't recovered from the Knight era.

Nebraska has amazing fan support. So all they need is the right coach, a strong season or two to build momentum and they'd be back in the thick of it.

Reaction Score
Key... Non-Key... Key... Non-Key: Paging @Dooley

KevinGehlTV 3:16pm via Twitter for iPhone
#Cincy, #UConn to #Big12 look like the only well-rounded options available. Sizable media markets, competitive football, attractive hoops.

KevinGehlTV3:18pm via Twitter for iPhone
BYU won't schedule Sunday games and West Va needs more eastern opponents. UCF/USF offer recruiting ground in FL, but weak in most sports.

KevinGehlTV3:20pm via Twitter for iPhone
#UConn should just open a satellite office in Irving, TX to be in Big 12's face every day. The American looks like slow death right now.

BTN Play-by-Play http://www.kevingehl.com/resume.html
Non-key works for these @huskymedic ...especially if you define key tweet as a tweet from a journalist with credible source that something is happening, or a tweet from conference or school.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
"Go back pre-Saban, and Alabama wasn't doing much of anything."

And here I always thought Paul Bear Bryant coached at Alabama, Guess I was wrong.

Reaction Score
I would think tweets from BTN reporters are fairly key and certainly much, much more credible than some guy in his basement.

The guy in his basement is more credible than the guy (35+) in his parent's basement.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
"Go back pre-Saban, and Alabama wasn't doing much of anything."

And here I always thought Paul Bear Bryant coached at Alabama, Guess I was wrong.

Good grief...I obviously mean immediately preceding Saban. The Mike Shula era would be a good example.
DuBose and Franchione weren't that great either. No better than Nebraska has been in recent years.

Reaction Score
I would think tweets from BTN reporters are fairly key and certainly much, much more credible than some guy in his basement.
Those were his own opinions though...he wasn't reporting something based on facts. Now if that had been a report on the B-12 meetings it would have been different.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
From a different thread

We don't know what will happen, but to make a blanket statement like that really doesn't make sense to me. College sports is all about coaching. Since joining the Big10, Nebraska has had a mediocre coach in Pelini and a wtf coach in Mike Riley. Since Tom Osborne retired, there has been a series of lousy coaches in Lincoln. In fact, they really weren't doing all that well while playing in the Big12. There were 15 Big12 championship games while Nebraska was part of the Big12. They played in only five, winning two of them. Three of those were in the first four years. Two of them while Osborne was coach. The worst part of it is they played in a division with ISU, Colorado, Kansas, KSU, Missouri. Nebraska's slide was started well before they went to the Big10. If they get a bluechip coach they will be back.

Nebraska was sliding after Osborne left. He took a lot of questionable kids, both academically and behaviorally (Lawerence Phillips) and won with those kids that no one would touch.

And Nebraska made its name running the wishbone and the option where you need two skill guys and a bunch of beefy guys. Nebraska could always find beefy guys. You can't recruit to the option anymore unless you are the Naval Academy. The game has passed by N's ability to recruit nationally.

Reaction Score
Really not comparable given the current demographics. Alabama is in a rich recruiting market, Neb isn't. Alabama is in a warm weather (not really that accurate) market and Nebraska isn't, Alabama is a national program and Nebraska has never really been a national program. Bear Bryant and Saban are legends, I'd never view Osborne as a legend.

Who are Nebraska's most famous alums? Johnny Rodgers? I can think of 10+ Bama ones.

And, when Bryant died, Bama began a gradual decline. See Perkins, Curry, DuBose, Shula ... and a quick rebound with Saban.

Reaction Score
Really not comparable given the current demographics. Alabama is in a rich recruiting market, Neb isn't. Alabama is in a warm weather (not really that accurate) market and Nebraska isn't, Alabama is a national program and Nebraska has never really been a national program. Bear Bryant and Saban are legends, I'd never view Osborne as a legend.

Who are Nebraska's most famous alums? Johnny Rodgers? I can think of 10+ Bama ones.
Nebraska was most definitely a national program. When other teams started to play on tv that's when Nebraska started to decline. Example on the 1983 roster Irving Fryar and Mike Rozier were from NJ (Fryar from Mount Holly, Rozier from Camden); Turner Gill from Texas (Ft. Worth); Doug DuBose was from CT (Montville).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
And, when Bryant died, Bama began a gradual decline. See Perkins, Curry, DuBose, Shula ... and a quick rebound with Saban.

Convenient to leap over Gene Stallings.

Reaction Score
A discussion on the UConn board about how irrelevant Nebraska football is...Cmon guys. They may be becoming the Indiana of football but far from irrelevant

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom