Non-Key Tweets | Page 400 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 3h3 hours ago
@Juddrock @smm140 The entire B12 would vote for expansion if they had 2 who added value.

@Juddrock @smm140 The B12 isn't against expansion. They are against the angst of exp without the $ to make it worthwhile.

@Juddrock @smm140 the problem is that nobody in the G5 adds value.

@HabibHaddad @GregGregoryKJ I honestly feel bad for them all.

@HabibHaddad Remember how it was with Eer fans & the SEC rumors after we knew Mizzou was in...

Ben Desrochers ‏@desrochers_ben · 2h2 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @Juddrock @smm140 I know you don't believe it, but Uconn will be added somewhere, and the value for the Huskies is there.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @desrochers_ben I do see it. Access to NY would move UCONN to the top of the list if the B12 had a network

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 2h2 hours ago
@desrochers_ben What's your best guess as to UCONN's B12 value if the B12 had a network?

@desrochers_ben If the carriage fee model persists it would be about $35M per year - if I recall correctly.

@desrochers_ben Without a B12N it's about $8-12M per year. Again off the top of my head. Big difference.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 1h1 hour ago
@desrochers_ben The problem for UCONN & everyone except BYU is they are judged on program history & not potential.

Reaction Score
Convenient to leap over Gene Stallings.
Nah, I hear ya, yet just forgot Stallings. Upon further review, Stallings' win/loss record, albeit with 1 readily acknowledged national championship, was on par with Curry as both shared a part of Bama's "gradual decline" from Bryant's ridiculous success. As crazy as it is for reasonable people, .700 records were a significant downturn and don't equal success in Tuscaloosa nor anywhere else Crimson Tide fans live. Imagine the rancor as Bama continued declining toward losing records, and failed to offer Cam Newton as big a contract as Auburn.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Nebraska is irrelevant and yet here we are on a Connecticut message board arguing about the state of their football program. Without seeing any numbers I'd still say nationally the Cornhuskers are a top 15 draw on TV. They've sold out over 340 games in a row. If that's irrelevant then sign UConn up ASAP.

FWIW Nebraska is looking like its going to start off the 2017 class with a bang. Keyshawn Johnson Jr. is deciding within a month and has been to UNL over 6 times on his own dime, and is going back again in March with the next two people I mention. They're hoping to land one of the top 2017 QB's in Tristian Gebbia and 5* CB Darnay Holmes as well.

Bill Callahan recruited top 10 (one top 5?) class to Nebraska less than 10 years ago. Riley was stupid and didn't get Ed Oregeron a job when he publicly begged for one with Nebraska on twitter after his hire. Nebraska has the financial support and want to and fanbase to be great again, they just need to sack up and hire a coach that will actually take them there.

Reaction Score
They have a lot of fans, sure, but they aren't relevant on the national level. Not projected top 25 again this year. They could have a slight blip sure, but honestly, Meyer, Harbaugh and the SEC will recruit over them consistently. As will OU, USC, ND, UT, UCLA, Clemson, FSU and others.

Nebraska is irrelevant and yet here we are on a Connecticut message board arguing about the state of their football program. Without seeing any numbers I'd still say nationally the Cornhuskers are a top 15 draw on TV. They've sold out over 340 games in a row. If that's irrelevant then sign UConn up ASAP.

FWIW Nebraska is looking like its going to start off the 2017 class with a bang. Keyshawn Johnson Jr. is deciding within a month and has been to UNL over 6 times on his own dime, and is going back again in March with the next two people I mention. They're hoping to land one of the top 2017 QB's in Tristian Gebbia and 5* CB Darnay Holmes as well.

Bill Callahan recruited top 10 (one top 5?) class to Nebraska less than 10 years ago. Riley was stupid and didn't get Ed Oregeron a job when he publicly begged for one with Nebraska on twitter after his hire. Nebraska has the financial support and want to and fanbase to be great again, they just need to sack up and hire a coach that will actually take them there.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
They have a lot of fans, sure, but they aren't relevant on the national level. Not projected top 25 again this year. They could have a slight blip sure, but honestly, Meyer, Harbaugh and the SEC will recruit over them consistently. As will OU, USC, ND, UT, UCLA, Clemson, FSU and others.

There's a stat out there I'm too lazy to look up exactly but it's something like from the 2008-2014 seasons the only teams to win 9+ games each season were Alabama, Oregon, and Nebraska. They had a bad year, no doubt. If you're talking whether they'll win it all next year the answer is obviously no. That being said they aren't irrelevant. Year 2 in Riley's system should be better so we will see. Just like Texas is never "irrelevant" (and yes, Texas is a bigger national brand than NU) Nebraska won't be irrelevant even if they go 5-7 again next year

Reaction Score
As someone else said, re: Oklahoma. Nebraska previously played in the Big Eight without any Texas teams. They still recruited Texas in the past.

Perhaps their non-recruiting of Texas could have something to do with their coaching change and the hiring of a guy who's career has been predominantly spent on the West Coast?

Recruiting is about relationships. Look at where Mike Riley has coached and look where his recruits are from.

This is how we ended up with a who's who of All-League Connecticut players before we smartened up and cut off our PP.

Man this OU losing Tx recruits if they join the BIG debate because of Neb's downfall debate is getting old. Most who comment on it are either too absolute on a point, or lack the details. Some finer points to consider:

No CFP or BCS system during Nebraska and even OU's peak of success. I dare say CF history, that is crowned national champions, would be very different had the CFP been introduced say in 1950.

Let's not forget that during the OU-Neb era of dominance, segregation had ended in the SEC (South in general) but expansion wasn't settled & recruiting and program building, esp with the local recruits, many being Black Americans, was still new. History has now taught us that de-segregation took at least 10 years to translate into positive success for the southeast in general, and it was really the non-SEC Florida schools, that cashed in (Miami and FSU).

No more partial qualifiers for Neb, which started before they joined the BIG.

No Tom Osbourne or Barry Switzer equivalents - please don't say Stoops is on par with Switzer, he is not. Could he get there? Doubtful, he's had his chances and age is becoming a factor. OU has mostly gotten blown out in major games the past 7 years.

OU vs Neb was a guaranteed game in the Big 8, not so in the Big12. Thus if Neb beat OU during the Big8 days, they essentially won the Red River Rivalry as well. So Neb's decline is also not a shock considering their biggest rivalry basically ceased when joining the Big12.

OU will lose Tx recruits if they leave for the BIG, esp if Hook Em ends the Red River Rivalry, but they'll still be much closer to Tx than Neb. But let's not forget that OU has & will likely continue to lose the once mighty inroads in Tx because other FBS programs in the Longhorn state are no longer doormats - this was bound to happen. Look at how many NCs fbs programs in Florida have won - 3 major powers in that state. Tx will inevitably produce a handful of contenders in a given year due to their high school football culture and ding, ding:

aTm is now in the SEC, which is huge not only for them, but other SEC schools. The SEC unquestionably has the greatest state by state footprint for high school football talent now, well they did before annexing Texas. Just as kids in Tx will consider aTm & its conference mates, kids in Ga will think hard on aTm - conference reciprocity - ma, pa, family and friends will still get to see my on tv.

Expansion has changed the game, albeit such has been going on for decades. But in this hyper media, instant results-expectations age - OU & Neb have dealt with direct major changes unlike most of the SEC, Pac12, BIG and even traditional ACC power programs. One joined a conference where the traditional powers have remained solid (BIG) & on the way out, it was ugly - so were the other departures, Colorado being the exception. OU remains in a fickle Big8 - SWC shotgun marriage, where brand and identity remain issues - which leads to my next point.

The Big12 needs to cut the run and gun spread & minimal defense crap, this league wide style is not NC worthy, esp against a typical SEC team, as well as the top shelf programs from the ACC, Pac12 and BIG - where typically the best team in a given year runs a combo of spread and pro style offense & defense matters. Big12 football is bad for recruiting in general.

Could OU succeed in the BIG? They will likely get to the CCG most years as the west representative, but it won't be easy. Wisconsin and Neb aren't pushovers for anyone. Moreover, they'll likely lose to the likes of OSU or Mich, much of the time. Harbaugh and Meyer look to be around for a while. OSU has one of the great high school football states and Michigan has been recruiting nationally with greater success than OU & for a long time mind you. Both Mi and OSU have a greater local pool of recruits than OU - much bigger population.

OU has always depended on Tx recruits and the Red River game, but again their Tx recruiting has gradually slipped since joining the Big12. So it would be unfair to to say the BIG was the cause of diminished Tx recruiting if future membership was on the horizon. This decline already started for OU.

On the other hand, OU has so much history so a game changing, young coach could get them back on track in any conference. (Yes I have written off Stoops).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The last 5 years Nebraska's recruiting ranking has avg. 30ish. Whereas, Bama, UT, OSU, LSU and others are consistently top 10 or higher.

Ok, let"s change irrelevant to elite, since they are equal in my mind for this. Nebraska is nowhere near an elite program any longer and they won't be if they consistently recruit outside the top 25 or top 10-15.

There are 20 other teams consistently recruiting ahead of them and only 4 can win a NC and 12 play in NYE/NYD bowls.

There's a stat out there I'm too lazy to look up exactly but it's something like from the 2008-2014 seasons the only teams to win 9+ games each season were Alabama, Oregon, and Nebraska. They had a bad year, no doubt. If you're talking whether they'll win it all next year the answer is obviously no. That being said they aren't irrelevant. Year 2 in Riley's system should be better so we will see. Just like Texas is never "irrelevant" (and yes, Texas is a bigger national brand than NU) Nebraska won't be irrelevant even if they go 5-7 again next year

Reaction Score
It's not, it"s speculation that if OU goes to the B1G will it continue to recruit Tex well since it would lose all ties to that state.

And the final assertion is: who knows what the future holds.

When did this become a Nebraska board?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Moving on from Nebraska....

1:05 PM - 2 Feb 2016
M Hver 3 ‏@ MHver3 20m20 minutes ago
I'm being told that Boren and Gee have a network backed plan for a conference network that buys out LHN on UT's end and has an unequal(cont)

1:06 PM - 2 Feb 2016
M Hver 3 ‏ @ MHver3 18m18 minutes ago
(Cont) revenue sharing model for first 5 years for UT to recoup loss of LHN. Model involves adding 2 now(UC and Uconn) and (cont)

1:08 PM - 2 Feb 2016
M Hver 3 ‏ @ MHver3 (Cont) at least 2 more within 3 years. Network would generate estimated $50 million in its first year and be available on TV and web

M Hver 3 ‏ @ MHver3 17m17 minutes ago
More to come later. Lots more according to my source in WVU AD

M Hver 3 ‏ @ MHver3 16m16 minutes ago
ESPN also allegedly going to help payoff UT so as to un-burden themselves of LHN

Reaction Score

M Hver 3 ‏@ 20m20 minutes ago
I'm being told that Boren and Gee have a network backed plan for a conference network that buys out LHN on UT's end and has an unequal(cont)

M Hver 3 ‏ @ 18m18 minutes ago
(Cont) revenue sharing model for first 5 years for UT to recoup loss of LHN. Model involves adding 2 now(UC and Uconn) and (cont)

M Hver 3 ‏ @ (Cont) at least 2 more within 3 years. Network would generate estimated $50 million in its first year and be available on TV and web

M Hver 3 ‏ @ 17m17 minutes ago

M Hver 3 ‏ @ 16m16 minutes ago
ESPN also allegedly going to help payoff UT so as to un-burden themselves of LHN

Great news tidbits -- let us hope it is true!!!

Reaction Score

I agree for the most part, but if say OU was a lock to join the BIG via a confidential agreement, then adding UConn is easier for a conference that still cares far more about football - despite UConn already being a no brainer for me.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
If M H Ver is the one who breaks the news...

I'll stop thinking he is a unkempt-beard growing, moonshine swilling, tractor driving, Appalachian inbred and start thinking he is my favorite writer/reporter. A regular Walter Cronkite

Reaction Score

M Hver 3 ‏ @ (Cont) at least 2 more within 3 years. Network would generate estimated $50 million in its first year and be available on TV and web

Doesn't $50m in year 1 seem low compared to some of the other networks?

Reaction Score
Nebraska is the model for UConn potential.
Relatively small state ,but not tiny, without an real competition from other schools or their own professional team.
Nebraska has the Benifit of incredible football tradition which is the pride of the state and Huskers in the dispora.
We have a great basketball tradition which is the pride of the state and nutmeggers in the diaspora,greater market potential, with a football program in strong need of development.

Reaction Score

ESPN also allegedly going to help payoff UT so as to un-burden themselves of LHN[]

you interrupt a Nebraska debate for this???

Reaction Score
swh71 ‏@swh71 1h1 hour ago
@MH ver3 they r presenting the plan? Or seeking to implement the network plan?

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 1h1 hour ago
@swh71 going to present it to all the B12 presidents.

Ben Desrochers‏@desrochers_ben 46m46 minutes ago
@MH ver3 when will Uconn be added?

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 40m40 minutes ago
@desrochers_ben ideally the new additions would be in the conference for 2017 season

FatherOfRog ‏@MasterInsider 51m51 minutes ago
@MH ver3 Can't believe either of those schools bring as much money to the contract as BYU No bball or fball games now plyed on Sunday by B12

MHv er3‏@MH ver3 36m36 minutes ago
@MasterInsider probably not. I know Uconn replaced Memphis at the behest of the network when this plan was being drawn up. TV market

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 36m36 minutes ago
I'm told not to expect a vote when this plan is presented. Vote will be in May. This plan is meant as a guide and will be open to changes

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 34m34 minutes ago
Also told that if UT and the rest reject this plan then the face of the B12 will be changed drastically after GOR expires.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 3h3 hours ago
CINCY/UCONN or CINCY/UH to B12 with CCG and future plans to create B12N or B12 Civil War continues on...and on...and on..and on..and on..

Many people are pissed at me because we have no info that OU would ever challenge the B12 GOR. buyout/bargain deal in 2021 or implosion...

..buyout/bargain deal in 2021 or B12implosion...is always a possibility as B12 Civil War continues to engulf the stability of Conf.

But don't expect OU to walk up to the court house and file a challenge to B12 GOR. Could B10 perception be incorrect?..of course.Not likely

Boren is seriously trying to grow the B12...not just in numbers of schools..but trying to create partnership over simple associations in B12

But as we said in April...time is running out. Boren will fold up shop on trying to improve B12. If not now..it won't happen.

If not now...Boren will focus his time on Oklahoma University transitioning to a different direction. What say you University of Texas?

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 3h3 hours ago
@flugempire it's always been a buyout situation. Thats how this ends. B12 is overpaid now

reg Flugaur‏@flugempire 3h3 hours ago
@NebGradDubDub Yep It's either full implosion where 5 or more schools leave at once..or buyout deal..bargain with TV partners..or wait 2026

@fluempire B12 was overpaid to stick together. Smart schools with options aren't waiting till 2025 to eat that turd sandwich.

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 3h3 hours ago
@NebGradDubDub OU won't go to court...but will throw gasoline on B12 Civil War raging fire,

@flugempire my guess is OU is using expansion to change the language of the original GOR. backdooring an exit. TEXAS won't agree. #Standoff

@NebGradDubDub It's a possibility. Texas of course won't agree with the language of the GOR.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 3h3 hours ago
Big 12 will not decide on expansion on this week. May looks to be the month decisions are made.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
er3‏@MH ver3 36m36 minutes ago
@MasterInsider probably not. I know Uconn replaced Memphis at the behest of the network when this plan was being drawn up. TV market

Does this mean that I have to stop hating ESPN?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom