Non-Key Tweets | Page 402 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The long term play for the B12 is simple: beat the ACC to a network.

<WARNING: I AM ABOUT TO GO OFF MY ROCKER>

Phase 1 - transition LHN into B12N for 2017. The foundation is already there...they just need to add markets. Bring in UConn and Cincinnati. Take the 2 top ACC choices away from the ACC so launching an ACCN is more difficult. UConn and Cincinnati are P5 ready and have been for over a decade. Proof is in the pudding. Eastern pod added. Memphis, USF, UCF, Houston, and BYU really have no other options other than the B12. UConn fits in both the ACC and, should the AAU requirement ease, the B1G. Cincinnati would fit in the ACC. BYU won't play Sundays and don't won't work well with the PAC (or anyone). All other options are B12 or bust - no place else to go so the B12 can afford to be patient and further evaluate. Championship Game in 2017. B12N launch in 2017-18.

Phase 2 - Aggressive Expansion 2020. Around the same time the B12 launches its CCG and B12N, snap a pool stick in half and throw both halves on the floor in between the school Presidents of BYU, UCF, USF, Memphis, Houston and Temple. The 2 left standing in 2020 gets an invite. My guess is that it will be BYU and UCF/USF. Get to 14. SURPRISE! We actually have a few more pool sticks - USF/UCF and Houston (you can thank TX politicians for this...dont' let us down), come on in. We're at 16 now.

Phase 3 - Evaluate.

Markets? The B12Network is now carried in New York, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Orlando/Tampa, St Louis, Hartford/New Haven, Kansas City, Cincinnati, and to all LDS subscribers of the now defunct BYU TV. National exposure. Check.

Recruiting? Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Ohio, New Jersey. The conference can now recruit NATIONALLY instead of just a handful of Great Plains states. Check.

Playoff Contenders? Texas, OU, TCU, Baylor, OSU...all are annual preseason Top 25. As long as the Title Game heavyweight holds serve, the B12 has an annual entrant with the B1G and SEC. In some years, a 1-loss B12 team could get an at-large playoff spot if the name is "big" enough. If the playoff field ever expands to 8, the B12 is guaranteed at least 2 entrants every year.

Year Round B12N Content (read: Hoops)? What a stroke of genius it was adding UConn to pair up against Kansas every single year. UConn vs KU games have become must-see classics that rival Duke vs UNC games. When Cincinnati isn't fighting Xavier, they fight WVU in the annual Bob Huggins Blood Bath. Thanks to spot games against UConn at MSG, Kansas, Texas and OU enjoy the benefits of recruiting NYC/Northeast and find the "guts" guys that their teams so often lack. Even Baylor and Oklahoma St are able to expand their hoops recruiting wings and find players outside of their area codes. The Big 12 is always a top 2 hoops conference and, in some years, number 1. Check.

On to Phase 4...

Phase 4 - Hey ACC, give us your weak, your hungry, and your really, incredibly and highly envious poor 2023-5ish. It's been over a decade now since the ACC heavyweights agreed to selling their souls in exchange for an ACCNetwork and, alas, no network. Surprisingly, Notre Dame was never convinced that joining the ACC full-time was in their best interest. It also turns out that small private schools with marginal followings in the northeast can't swing a network deal afterall. And no matter how hard they try, the ACC can't seem to magically wish Louisville's population numbers over New York's. With UConn and other top market targets in the B12 and B1G, the ACC is left scrambling with the thought of adding Temple and their 10,000 fans in desperation to add Philadelphia. It fails. The ACC Network is dead and now the big fish are sucking for air. Who's available? The candidates:

Clemson - a shoe-in for B12 expansion. The SEC won't want to double down South Carolina and they don't meet any of the B1G academic requirements.

Florida St - a battle here with the SEC and I could see the SECN wanting to double down but ultimately pass. Maybe the B1G looks to add if FSU's research efforts continue to trend upwards but FSU is a football first school and sees all of that Texas and Florida in the B12. Too tough to pass up all of those blue chip football CrimiNoles...ummm...prospects.

Louisville - Clemson Lite. SECN isn't doubling down Kentucky and LCC doesn't come anywhere close to B1G academic standards. A bonus plus for winter B12N programming.

Syracuse - I know, I know...this one is controversial amongst us UConn fans. Why should we want them when they don't want us? It's simple. Like it or not, they add a piece of the NYC pie. We could also use a regional r1val that is within driving distance of us. A UConn/Cuse NYC play isn't quite the strength in numbers that what the B1G would hold, but it's as close as it gets. And we eventually want to get to a point where B12 basketball games at Madison Square Garden become an annual thing again. Cuse helps that cause. They are likely not an option for the B1G since they are private. Plus, the B1G and SEC will likely battle it out for the UNC, GT, UVA, VT pod of the ACC wreckage. Maybe even Duke and NC State will find SEC homes.

20. End game.

East Division - UConn, Syracuse, Cincinnati, WVU, UL, UCF, OU, FSU, Clemson, Texas
West Division - USF, OSU, TCU, Baylor, Houston, TT, KU, KSU, ISU, BYU

9 division games. 1 cross division game. 2 OOC. Championship Game at Jerry World. Hoops Tourney on Jerry World, NYC, Kansas City rotation.
Mm trade cuse for Virginia and I'm in.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
You might have a hard time convincing Iowa St, Kansas St, and Texas Tech to give up games against Texas and Oklahoma and replace them with games against USF and Houston.

That would be harder to swallow than replacing games against Miami and Virginia Tech on a schedule with games against Tulane and Tulsa. But no school has ever had to go through that so it's unfathomable.

Reaction Score
That would be harder to swallow than replacing games against Miami and Virginia Tech on a schedule with games against Tulane and Tulsa. But no school has ever had to go through that so it's unfathomable.

I sometimes ponder what is the worst part about the AAC: Having to play basketball in Tulsa, Oklahoma or being 0-2 in AAC play @ Tulsa? Throw in Tulane and you can put me on record as missing the DePaul/Seton Hall/Rutgers games. :confused:

Reaction Score
The long term play for the B12 is simple: beat the ACC to a network.

<WARNING: I AM ABOUT TO GO OFF MY ROCKER>

Phase 1 - transition LHN into B12N for 2017. The foundation is already there...they just need to add markets. Bring in UConn and Cincinnati. Take the 2 top ACC choices away from the ACC so launching an ACCN is more difficult. UConn and Cincinnati are P5 ready and have been for over a decade. Proof is in the pudding. Eastern pod added. Memphis, USF, UCF, Houston, and BYU really have no other options other than the B12. UConn fits in both the ACC and, should the AAU requirement ease, the B1G. Cincinnati would fit in the ACC. BYU won't play Sundays and don't won't work well with the PAC (or anyone). All other options are B12 or bust - no place else to go so the B12 can afford to be patient and further evaluate. Championship Game in 2017. B12N launch in 2017-18.

Phase 2 - Aggressive Expansion 2020. Around the same time the B12 launches its CCG and B12N, snap a pool stick in half and throw both halves on the floor in between the school Presidents of BYU, UCF, USF, Memphis, Houston and Temple. The 2 left standing in 2020 gets an invite. My guess is that it will be BYU and UCF/USF. Get to 14. SURPRISE! We actually have a few more pool sticks - USF/UCF and Houston (you can thank TX politicians for this...dont' let us down), come on in. We're at 16 now.

Phase 3 - Evaluate.

Markets? The B12Network is now carried in New York, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Orlando/Tampa, St Louis, Hartford/New Haven, Kansas City, Cincinnati, and to all LDS subscribers of the now defunct BYU TV. National exposure. Check.

Recruiting? Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Ohio, New Jersey. The conference can now recruit NATIONALLY instead of just a handful of Great Plains states. Check.

Playoff Contenders? Texas, OU, TCU, Baylor, OSU...all are annual preseason Top 25. As long as the Title Game heavyweight holds serve, the B12 has an annual entrant with the B1G and SEC. In some years, a 1-loss B12 team could get an at-large playoff spot if the name is "big" enough. If the playoff field ever expands to 8, the B12 is guaranteed at least 2 entrants every year.

Year Round B12N Content (read: Hoops)? What a stroke of genius it was adding UConn to pair up against Kansas every single year. UConn vs KU games have become must-see classics that rival Duke vs UNC games. When Cincinnati isn't fighting Xavier, they fight WVU in the annual Bob Huggins Blood Bath. Thanks to spot games against UConn at MSG, Kansas, Texas and OU enjoy the benefits of recruiting NYC/Northeast and find the "guts" guys that their teams so often lack. Even Baylor and Oklahoma St are able to expand their hoops recruiting wings and find players outside of their area codes. The Big 12 is always a top 2 hoops conference and, in some years, number 1. Check.

On to Phase 4...

Phase 4 - Hey ACC, give us your weak, your hungry, and your really, incredibly and highly envious poor 2023-5ish. It's been over a decade now since the ACC heavyweights agreed to selling their souls in exchange for an ACCNetwork and, alas, no network. Surprisingly, Notre Dame was never convinced that joining the ACC full-time was in their best interest. It also turns out that small private schools with marginal followings in the northeast can't swing a network deal afterall. And no matter how hard they try, the ACC can't seem to magically wish Louisville's population numbers over New York's. With UConn and other top market targets in the B12 and B1G, the ACC is left scrambling with the thought of adding Temple and their 10,000 fans in desperation to add Philadelphia. It fails. The ACC Network is dead and now the big fish are sucking for air. Who's available? The candidates:

Clemson - a shoe-in for B12 expansion. The SEC won't want to double down South Carolina and they don't meet any of the B1G academic requirements.

Florida St - a battle here with the SEC and I could see the SECN wanting to double down but ultimately pass. Maybe the B1G looks to add if FSU's research efforts continue to trend upwards but FSU is a football first school and sees all of that Texas and Florida in the B12. Too tough to pass up all of those blue chip football CrimiNoles...ummm...prospects.

Louisville - Clemson Lite. SECN isn't doubling down Kentucky and LCC doesn't come anywhere close to B1G academic standards. A bonus plus for winter B12N programming.

Syracuse - I know, I know...this one is controversial amongst us UConn fans. Why should we want them when they don't want us? It's simple. Like it or not, they add a piece of the NYC pie. We could also use a regional r1val that is within driving distance of us. A UConn/Cuse NYC play isn't quite the strength in numbers that what the B1G would hold, but it's as close as it gets. And we eventually want to get to a point where B12 basketball games at Madison Square Garden become an annual thing again. Cuse helps that cause. They are likely not an option for the B1G since they are private. Plus, the B1G and SEC will likely battle it out for the UNC, GT, UVA, VT pod of the ACC wreckage. Maybe even Duke and NC State will find SEC homes.

20. End game.

East Division - UConn, Syracuse, Cincinnati, WVU, UL, UCF, OU, FSU, Clemson, Texas
West Division - USF, OSU, TCU, Baylor, Houston, TT, KU, KSU, ISU, BYU

9 division games. 1 cross division game. 2 OOC. Championship Game at Jerry World. Hoops Tourney on Jerry World, NYC, Kansas City rotation.

It's actually a reasonable scenario given the disclaimer. However, I don't think the BIG 12 will be as aggressive adding teams in the next few years. I think they want to poach from the ACC starting in the 2020 range, but with 12 members at that time so that adding 4 schools gets them to 16. The ACC schools might have to wait until after the GOR ends to join, but the deals will basically be in place years before that.

Reaction Score
You might have a hard time convincing Iowa St, Kansas St, and Texas Tech to give up games against Texas and Oklahoma and replace them with games against USF and Houston.

Would they rather play Tulsa and Tulane?

Reaction Score
I see no realistic scenario where the Big 12 is ever in a position to poach anybody from The ACC. Clemson and FSU don't want to play games in Ames and Lubbock. Its much more likely that Texas takes a Baylor or TCU with them to The ACC, or maybe WVU and TCU/Baylor go with The Horns getting a ND type deal.

Reaction Score
I see no realistic scenario where the Big 12 is ever in a position to poach anybody from The ACC. Clemson and FSU don't want to play games in Ames and Lubbock. Its much more likely that Texas takes a Baylor or TCU with them to The ACC, or maybe WVU and TCU/Baylor go with The Horns getting a ND type deal.

If the BIG 12 has a successful network that allows it's member schools to get better distribution and promotion/ more money, then the presidents of some of the universities in the ACC will definitely consider switching to the BIG 12. Realignment is driven by the university presidents doing what is best for their overall university. The presidents use football to draw attention to the university in order to attract students and faculty.

Reaction Score
OK, with a grain of salt...if Texas is willing to fold LHN into a league network and get some startup money back I'm sure ESPN would be willing to cut their losses with the LHN. It will sure be interesting to watch it unfold.

For ESPN to cut its loses with the LHN in this fashion makes a lot of sense as it also gives them a gibber gun in a B12 Network to deal with the Fox lead B1G network. That said, UConn joining the XII would cause major concern in upstate NY. I can just picture the Syracuse Alumni running ESPN asking what is more important - saving their jobs and company in ESPN or saving their college in Syracuse?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For ESPN to cut its loses with the LHN in this fashion makes a lot of sense as it also gives them a gibber gun in a B12 Network to deal with the Fox lead B1G network. That said, UConn joining the XII would cause major concern in upstate NY. I can just picture the Syracuse Alumni running ESPN asking what is more important - saving their jobs and company in ESPN or saving their college in Syracuse?

Bodenheimer went to Denison, Skipper went to UNC, Driessen went to Fordham and Norby went to frigging Southern Connecticut.

Don't confuse the on air talent with the people calling the shots.

I'm also fairly sure that UConn's conference affiliation won't make or break ESPN. Having the NFL, NBA, MLB, College Football Playoffs, Big Ten, Pac 12, ACC, SEC....

I'm sure they are scared of Fox after 2 years their SportsCenter clone was averaging 66k viewers and they finally scrapped it. ESPNU puts on replays in the middle of the night and gets higher ratings than Fox's big foray into a primetime highlight show.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ACC should be very afraid of the Big12 if the Big12 gets its act together and creates a network. FSU/Clemson have a lot more in common with the B12 schools (big state schools who primary sports focus is football) than the ACC schools. Conference realignment is about money and if Clemson/FSU can make another $15 million a year on the Big12 network while playing in a better football conference...bye bye

If the Big12 gets a network and the ACC does not then it is just a matter of time. By the time GORs are up in the ACC the Big12, Big10, and SEC will carve them up (if not before.)

If I am John Swofford I am losing sleep about the direction the Big12 is trending...The ACC has been protected by the Big12's inability to solve its Texas sized problems and collectively market as a network. If those get solved and a B12 network is formed, it is open season on the ACC.

If the ACC does not proactively move to grab the best expansion candidates from the B12 now they will regret it later. It is easier to prevent an adversary from acquiring the steel needed to make weapons as opposed to fighting those weapons later.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The ACC is protected by its GOR through 2025, but if it doesn't have a network soon, it will fall way behind the other majors. ESPN clearly doesn't want to do an ACCN or there would already be one. That said, ESPN has stepped up in the past to protect the ACC, and I think ESPN would do so again if the Cincinnati guy's rumor about the Big 10 Tier 1 rights going to Fox and CBS are true. IF the ACC is going to get a network, UConn becomes more important, and absolutely can not be in the Big 12.

The other interesting rumor from the Cincinnati guy is that ESPN is refusing to renegotiate the AAC contract. That is strange given how dependent ESPN is on AAC content and the fact that it appears the AAC will be more important to ESPN in the future with CUSA going to Fox and the Big 10 Tier 1 potentially leaving too.

I agree with others that the idea of the Big 10 stepping in for UConn seems like a fantasy at this point.

Reaction Score
Bodenheimer went to Denison, Skipper went to UNC, Driessen went to Fordham and Norby went to frigging Southern Connecticut.

Don't confuse the on air talent with the people calling the shots.

I'm also fairly sure that UConn's conference affiliation won't make or break ESPN. Having the NFL, NBA, MLB, College Football Playoffs, Big Ten, Pac 12, ACC, SEC....

I'm sure they are scared of Fox after 2 years their SportsCenter clone was averaging 66k viewers and they finally scrapped it. ESPNU puts on replays in the middle of the night and gets higher ratings than Fox's big foray into a primetime highlight show.
How the hell do you know stuff like that?

Reaction Score
Today is a national holiday down south...NSD. A really big deal.

Guys will be attached to the computer all day watching the commits. Smart phones peeked at while in meetings.

Example, 3,300 already at 8 am signed on Warchant NSD live chat watching the scroll.

I assume that the B1G fans of Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, etc are like that as well....are they football crazy?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Would they rather play Tulsa and Tulane?

No. Of course not. But they're not in a position where their conference has been taken from them and that's their last resort. In Dooley's scenerio the teams inviting other teams to their league were the ones willing to make the tradeoff.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You don't know that.

Did you read it? These guys postulate so much nonsense, and have very little understanding of UConn, the northeast generally, and the state of Connecticut specifically. I'll admit that there are people here who are probably making similar mistakes in looking at midwestern schools.

Reaction Score
I assume that the B1G fans of Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, etc are like that as well....are they football crazy?
With #1 on the line the Michigan boards are quite active. Half the board is telling the other half to calm down.

It is not typical water-cooler talk however. Most general sports fans don't even know it's NSD.

It's a religion in Buckeye-land. Penn State could be going through a melt-down.

Reaction Score
The ACC is protected by its GOR through 2025, but if it doesn't have a network soon, it will fall way behind the other majors. ESPN clearly doesn't want to do an ACCN or there would already be one. That said, ESPN has stepped up in the past to protect the ACC, and I think ESPN would do so again if the Cincinnati guy's rumor about the Big 10 Tier 1 rights going to Fox and CBS are true. IF the ACC is going to get a network, UConn becomes more important, and absolutely can not be in the Big 12.

The other interesting rumor from the Cincinnati guy is that ESPN is refusing to renegotiate the AAC contract. That is strange given how dependent ESPN is on AAC content and the fact that it appears the AAC will be more important to ESPN in the future with CUSA going to Fox and the Big 10 Tier 1 potentially leaving too.

I agree with others that the idea of the Big 10 stepping in for UConn seems like a fantasy at this point.

ESPN might be refusing to negotiate only because of all the cost cutting they are doing. It may not mean anything.

pj

Reaction Score
ESPN needs content for ESPN and ESPN2, it can't put everything on conference networks. That's why an ACCN is tough, ACC sports are key content for ESPN's main channels. It's also why a B12 network will be tough.

If the lesser conferences want a network, they will have to team up in some fashion.

If the current B12 arrangement (Tier 3 stays with schools) were a permanent one, then ESPN could consider creating a network of the ACC, LHN, and Kansas's Tier 3. That would be a decent set of content.

Reaction Score

Found this great quote by Jim Delany:

There sat the Big Ten, quiet amid the chaos. Finally, Delany had to act. The tipping point: The ACC’s move into the Big Ten’s geographic region.

“At that point, there was more risk to not do anything,” said Delany. “It was worth the risk to change. To not change with other leagues coming into our areas … ”

Enter Rutgers and Maryland.

- See more at: http://btn.com/2014/05/07/dienhart-big-tens-big-bold-move-east/#sthash.DNYW6nrq.dpuf

Reaction Score
Today is a national holiday down south...NSD. A really big deal.

That's nothing. Try the first day of hunting season. I think schools are actually closed on some areas because no one shows-up to class (and work I assume).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
So much for UH's #HTownTskeover B12 recruit pitch. B12 schools are doing quite well today. Including UT flipping a 5 star LB from LSU.

Like I've said, if B12 schools can't recruit Texas kids, then that is on them. Adding UH doesn't do a rooting tooting thing to help that...other than adding a Texas school who could steal recruits from current B12 members.

Reaction Score
So much for UH's #HTownTskeover B12 recruit pitch. B12 schools are doing quite well today. Including UT flipping a 5 star LB from LSU.

Like I've said, if B12 schools can't recruit Texas kids, then that is on them. Adding UH doesn't do a rooting tooting thing to help that...other than adding a Texas school who could steal recruits from current B12 members.

In fairness to Hermann he lost the No. 2 WR to Florida today, but signed a 5 star D-lineman and has 3 other 4 stars. Currently listed at No. 26 on ESPN.com in class rankings.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
In fairness to Hermann he lost the No. 2 WR to Florida today, but signed a 5 star D-lineman and has 3 other 4 stars. Currently listed at No. 26 on ESPN.com in class rankings.

Sure. But the UH fan base talking about how poorly the B12 recruits and need to bring in UH to help that has now been definitively shown as being absolute hogwash (if anyone actually needed more proof). The B12 has and will continue to do just fine on NSD without Houston.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
That's nothing. Try the first day of hunting season. I think schools are actually closed on some areas because no one shows-up to class (and work I assume).

Here in Northeastern PA... there's basically an unofficial holiday from the day after Thanksgiving until Jan 2nd. Whole industries run on skeleton crews.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

In Northern Michigan, they absolutely are. Most of my extended family still lives there and they couldn't count the day if they held school, not enough kids. They take their hunting very seriously there. I have a cousin who has always used a .357 magnum with a scope to hunt. She's a dead eye shot with that hand Howitzer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom