Non-Key Tweets | Page 593 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
A little dramatic, don't you think? Most of the doomsday scenarios surround us not being picked, while other teams are. Status quo is about a million times better than the really bad scenarios.

No expansion is light years better than expansion with Cincy, Houston and Memphis. That is the absolute doomsday scenario.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
#2 may not be an actual win, but it's at least a stay of execution.

That's like the guy that fell off the skyscraper thinking "I haven't hit yet!" on the way down.

Reaction Score
That's like the guy that fell off the skyscraper thinking "I haven't hit yet!" on the way down.
I agree, but at least before he hits the ground there's a tiny chance he could bounce off an awning like in looney toons. Or get rescued by a superhero.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I agree, but at least before he hits the ground there's a tiny chance he could bounce off an awning like in looney toons. Or get rescued by a superhero.

Or like this:

Reaction Score
I see what you're saying. And obviously I am hoping that UConn finds itself in the Big 12 soon. However, thinking about the scenario of cincy/houston leaving has me somewhat appreciating what we have in the AAC. Maybe it is all the writers shedding positive lights on their programs during their "sales pitch" but the American (at least the top half) really ain't that bad and it can be pretty competitive going forward. Just a bummer about the whole money stuff but it is what it is

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It would never happen, but a smart move for the expansion candidates to do, once it was clear that this was a shakedown, would be to go to the Big 12 and offer to sit tight for the next 9 years for $5 million a year each. For $30 million a year, ESPN could buy UConn, Memphis, USF, UCF, BYU and Cincinnati to sit tight. It is less than the Big 12 is going to demand to take get rid of that pro rata clause. UConn should offer this to ESPN on its own.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It would never happen, but a smart move for the expansion candidates to do, once it was clear that this was a shakedown, would be to go to the Big 12 and offer to sit tight for the next 9 years for $5 million a year each. For $30 million a year, ESPN could buy UConn, Memphis, USF, UCF, BYU and Cincinnati to sit tight. It is less than the Big 12 is going to demand to take get rid of that pro rata clause. UConn should offer this to ESPN on its own.
I'll give you credit, its a clever idea....but one that would be challenging to deliver given the moving parts in all this chaos.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
  1. E. Michael Kamp ‏@Epfourteen 29m29 minutes ago
    When @GoBEARCATS plays its first B12 game at Nippert, @PrezOno needs to deliver the game ball. His vision and hard work got us there.

2 retweets9 likes

2. E. Michael Kamp ‏@Epfourteen 35m35 minutes ago
    B12 stopping at 12 also gives Texas an out with the politicians pushing for UH.They can say they gave it their all, but league stopped at 12

2 retweets1 like

3. E. Michael Kamp ‏@Epfourteen 1h1 hour ago
    I know UC got invite. I'm betting BYU did as well. this news from Fox/ESPN is trying to keep b12 from adding 2 more. That's my guess,tactics

1 retweet1 like

4. E. Michael Kamp ‏@Epfourteen 2h2 hours ago
    I find it comical that ESPN is in "lawsuit" mindset. If anyone should sue, it's UC. Sue ESPN and Pitt for colluding to beak up BE. Non issue

1 retweet5 likes

5. E. Michael Kamp ‏@Epfourteen 3h3 hours ago
    Update: outside and independently of who I spoke to yesterday; was told this am that UC has in fact been invited to B12 officially.

14 retweets17 likes

6. E. Michael Kamp ‏@Epfourteen 16h16 hours ago
    I very rarely post info. it is my understanding that UC officials agrd to a deal w b12 over weekend. Take/leave it. It's what I was told.

23 retweets28 likes

7. E. Michael Kamp ‏@Epfourteen 17h17 hours ago
    Very interesting wording here. (by Aresco) Stay at 10, or could go back to 12. Does he know the number of teams the AAC is losing
CL82: If the last post is correct and ACC is losing only two members, then the 3rd post can't be. It would mean two from the AAC (no BYU.) Under a two from the ACC scenario, I think UConn/UC is the logical pair.

Reaction Score
If the state turns up the heat on ESPN, its just giving them an excuse to move job creation to another state. Business leaders, went jilted, can get rather spiteful. Best to make the friendly phone call and thats it. You can make several calls in fact, just don't threaten.

How much money has ESPN invested in their CT facilities? $500 Million (just an off the wall guess) How much would it take to not only rebuild ESPN somewhere else AND find the thousands of qualified employees? ESPN does not have the $$ to start over.

They ain't going anywhere. Put some heat on the dooshbags.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
How much money has ESPN invested in their CT facilities? $500 Million (just an off the wall guess) How much would it take to not only rebuild ESPN somewhere else AND find the thousands of qualified employees? ESPN does not have the $$ to start over.

It can be a 10 year process. They would first open a new studio in state X and then make a slow migration. Very much like how so many insurance jobs have moved from Hartford to Des Moines and other locations. Just like so many mid level banking jobs have left NYC for FL and TX cities. Anyways, I have nothing more to add on this - we can agree that we disagree.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't know about "putting heat on them" but ESPN leverage was when they were making decision as to where to build the new studio. They used it effectively. Now that they've built it, it is hard to imagine the economic incentive that would justify abandoning it.

Reaction Score

Anything can be relocated , Anything not called real estate can be moved
I've been involed in plant relocation , the things that are movable is amazing.
People are the easiest especially if your moving into an existing facility thst already uses the same skills

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

ESPN is on the wrong side of history anyway. That investment is gone, and it didn't pay off for the state.

If this plays out the way I expect, ESPN will modify the Big 12 TV deal and get rid of the pro rata clause. UConn will still be stuck in the AAC. There is probably no white knight coming to our rescue. We have to figure out a way to salvage our athletic program on our own.

Reaction Score

You also have to take into consideration their close proximity to NY and Boston for covering sports. No other state can offer that. ESPN is not moving from CT too much invested and located in accessible location for NYC/Boston

Reaction Score
It can be a 10 year process. They would first open a new studio in state X and then make a slow migration. Very much like how so many insurance jobs have moved from Hartford to Des Moines and other locations. Just like so many mid level banking jobs have left NYC for FL and TX cities. Anyways, I have nothing more to add on this - we can agree that we disagree.

With all the cord cutting going on here's what I hope ESPN looks like in 10 years.

Fly-And-Drive-VSAT-2.jpg

Reaction Score
Clay Travis ‏@ClayTravis · 2h2 hours ago

ESPN & Fox sent an extraordinary public message to the Big 12 this morning: Expand and die:

This morning ESPN and Fox staged an extraordinary intervention in Big 12 expansion, going public with their displeasure over the potential addition of teams in the conference. It was a calculated Monday morning public attack on the Big 12's plans to expand, the likes of which we have never before seen.

ESPN and Fox Angry With Big 12 Expansion

Reaction Score

ESPN & Fox sent an extraordinary public message to the Big 12 this morning: Expand and die:

This morning ESPN and Fox staged an extraordinary intervention in Big 12 expansion, going public with their displeasure over the potential addition of teams in the conference. It was a calculated Monday morning public attack on the Big 12's plans to expand, the likes of which we have never before seen.

It's kind of an amazing moment right now. The rest of the college world is seeing firsthand what we at UConn have been experiencing for the better part of 10 years:

ESPN is meddling in fabric and makeup of college conferences and sports to the detriment of the games.

Reaction Score
ESPN is on the wrong side of history anyway. That investment is gone, and it didn't pay off for the state.

If this plays out the way I expect, ESPN will modify the Big 12 TV deal and get rid of the pro rata clause. UConn will still be stuck in the AAC. There is probably no white knight coming to our rescue. We have to figure out a way to salvage our athletic program on our own.

I don't think ESPN is going to get out of expansion that easily.

Outside of UT and OU, the other Big 12 members must realize that expansion is the way to provide some stability to the conference past 2024. It's not just a money grab for them.

But even if this is totally a money grab, unless ESPN is going to pay just as much money to the Big 12 to get them to not expand as they would've if they had expanded, why not expand? Take the money they're contractually obligated to give you. Why should they get a discount?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The term for what happened today is "collusion". I wish some school would have the nuts to sue ESPN and Fox.

Reaction Score
Why would they care even if they were getting public pressure? They can just fall back on the fact that they're not the ones making the decisions on expansion, the conferences are.

The benefits they get from the state are never going to be seriously called into question. They have all the leverage and can play dumb.

So we should just sit back and do nothing. The politicians, the press, the fans. That's worked out great.

I don't know but I would like...I don't know...someone to try SOMETHING...anything to change the uphill dynamic every time this stuff starts up.. Because this submissive waiting around to get boned every cycle is getting old and tiring.

We are the Jeb Bush of conference realignment strategy/politics. Low energy. Sad!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom