Non-Key Tweets | Page 592 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
UCONN went from being favorites with Cuse in 2011, then penned in when Maryland left and now were probably getting beat out by Memphis. 2024 is a long way away, UCONN could be not the same type of program by then. No offense, no one here is going to take consolation with your statement.

Then I think you need an objective slap in the face from someone who doesn't have a dog in this fight...

You're honestly better off waiting a few years and getting in a real conference with real actual rivalry possibilities than settling for a league who wants you to undercut yourself financially out of desperation and the nearest competitor is four states away.

Seriously man... if you really think about it, the Big 12 is an awful fit. Everyone is so consumed with being power five, at what cost is it worth it? The Big 12 is trying to get teams to take as little money as possible so they can run to the bank. Is it really a good thing for your program?

I'm being objective when I say this... you are better off waiting for the Big Ten or ACC. I've been saying a while now I think UConn eventually gets in the Big Ten. If it happens that they go with Texas, Oklahoma, etc., it will definitely be 10 times better than this rag-tag league.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Then I think you need an objective slap in the face from someone who doesn't have a dog in this fight...

You're honestly better off waiting a few years and getting in a real conference with real actual rivalry possibilities than settling for a league who wants you to undercut yourself financially out of desperation and the nearest competitor is four states away.

Seriously man... if you really think about it, the Big 12 is an awful fit. Everyone is so consumed with being power five, at what cost is it worth it? The Big 12 is trying to get teams to take as little money as possible so they can run to the bank. Is it really a good thing for your program?

I'm being objective when I say this... you are better off waiting for the Big Ten or ACC. I've been saying a while now I think UConn eventually gets in the Big Ten. If it happens that they go with Texas, Oklahoma, etc., it will definitely be 10 times better than this rag-tag league.
I understand your point Kyle but we've experienced the stank of being in a G5 conference for just a few years and already the talking heads treat us like we're a mid-major. If you've got a signed contract that has us going to the B1G, or even the ACC, within a few years, then by all means I'm fine with waiting. If not, well...

People who wait for a nicer lifeboat don't have a long life expectancy.

Reaction Score
my 2 cents based on nothing but rationality....which i know means little in CR.

UConn and maybe Cincy are the only non-P5 programs that would have any appeal to any Conference besides the BG12.....for the Big12 to pass on UConn because they might bolt for the ACC or BG10 years down the road makes little sense. Unless UConn to the ACC is imminent why would the BG12 pass on UConn when they could easily replace them with a Memphis or UCF if/when we bolt years from now. If the BG12 passes on UConn and we don't get a ACC invite soon after then something is seriously wrong here.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Cool, so all we need is for ND to join the ACC? I was worried there for a minute.

Not that that's out of the way, here is what I would do if I were a network honcho re: Big XII. I would say here are the two team you can take and we will pay you the contract pro rata rate (Cinci and UConn). If you like, you can take any two teams from this list and we will pay you X (X is a cut fraction of the pro rata) (Temple, UCF, USF, BYU) that's the deal take it or leave it. We aren't being saddled with lightly followed G5 programs at premium rates, but we will pay to enter these highly populated markets and hope they develop. Otherwise, this will be the last money the XII ever gets from us.

That would be worth 8 votes instantly.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
UConn will have a better home in 2024 than the Big 12. It sucks to think Memphis or UCF will get in before Connecticut does, but I wouldn't fret.

Big Ten or ACC is coming. I'm pretty sure of it.

A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

I'll take Big 12 invite right now...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

This article is the networks telling the Big 12 that they will pay the league not to add schools. This is a BIG problem for UConn.

It also means Memphis is finished as a candidate. There is no scenario where Memphis justifies the financial boost to ESPN and Fox.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 1h1 hour ago
Let's tackle Chip Brown's comments on Memphis "may be emerging"as #4 in Big 12 Expansion---
Only if B12 Presidents completely ignore data

Big 12 TV partners push back on expansion - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global
This article is much more serious.
But it shouldn't be shocking.
We've known this...ACC much more stable than B12

ESPN always favored ACC over B12.
ESPN created LHN to keep UT out of the complete hands of 21st Century FOX-sports

BTM has been stating since Spring of 2015 that B12 will be reshuffled in 2025.
This is obvious...
But this is about next 8 years.

ESPN/FOX will need to pay B12 for Expansion.
This is a money grab.

ESPN can't stop B12 expansion directly.
But as we have stated....
...UT speaks for ESPN in B12 Negotations.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 23m23 minutes ago
@theticketcorner
Controlled implosion has always been an option.
Extreme long shot at best...but it's a live option.

The Ticket Corner ‏@theticketcorner · 22m22 minutes ago
@flugempire thanks...because if that article is right, paying for a water down B12 is crazy for the money if I am the networks

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 19m19 minutes ago
It may be crazy...but legally binding.
ESPN can't stop B12 Expansion directly.
But UT can..and its ESPN's proxy in B12

Reaction Score
This article is the networks telling the Big 12 that they will pay the league not to add schools. This is a BIG problem for UConn.

It also means Memphis is finished as a candidate. There is no scenario where Memphis justifies the financial boost to ESPN and Fox.

And the Connecticut media allows ESPN that takes state money to get away with this? They are trying to stop the last possible hope for UConn to save itself?

Reaction Score
And the Connecticut media allows ESPN that takes state money to get away with this? They are trying to stop the last possible hope for UConn to save itself?
ESPN does not care about UConn. They never have, they never will. The tax breaks they get are for being a large employer in the state of CT, not for advocating for UConn. And the tax breaks aren't going anywhere. Sucks, but it's the truth.

This is why I have to laugh every time I see a poster on another school's board saying that having ESPN right in Bristol will be an advantage for us. If that's true, why wasn't it ever an advantage before? They've been here nearly 40 years. Why are we still on the outside looking in?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It seems like there are only two options here:

1) ESPN and Fox are pumping the brakes because they don't want the Big 12 to add anyone stupid like Memphis, or

2) ESPN and Fox want to shut the whole thing down, and will pay the Big 12 some amount of money not to expand.

#1 is the best option for UConn, but #2 feels a lot more likely.

ESPN could be driving the final stake through the heart of UConn athletics.

Reaction Score

1) ESPN and Fox are pumping the brakes because they don't want the Big 12 to add anyone stupid like Memphis, or

2) ESPN and Fox want to shut the whole thing down, and will pay the Big 12 some amount of money not to expand.

In either case, I think it's good for us.

#1 is obviously good. #2 may not be an actual win, but it's at least a stay of execution.

Reaction Score
ESPN does not care about UConn. They never have, they never will. The tax breaks they get are for being a large employer in the state of CT, not for advocating for UConn. And the tax breaks aren't going anywhere. Sucks, but it's the truth.

This is why I have to laugh every time I see a poster on another school's board saying that having ESPN right in Bristol will be an advantage for us. If that's true, why wasn't it ever an advantage before? They've been here nearly 40 years. Why are we still on the outside looking in?

Why should ESPN care when the Connecticut media allows them to get away with it by bringing no public pressure?

Reaction Score
ESPN can't stop B12 expansion directly.
But as we have stated....
...UT speaks for ESPN in B12 Negotations.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 19m19 minutes ago
It may be crazy...but legally binding.
ESPN can't stop B12 Expansion directly.
But UT can..and its ESPN's proxy in B12

I'm not so sure about that.

Fluguar's invisible friend BTM has always seemed a tad Huskerish for a "Sooner" and these two assertions seem motivated by snarkiness instead of logic.

Yes, Texas has a contract with ESPN but the ink on the contract is dry and it's binding come hell or high water. Why in the hell would the University of Texas feel any compulsion to be ESPN's lackey? Texas has a little bit of juice itself (second only to Harvard in endowments, ya know) and a whole hell of a lot of pride.

I can't see that.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

If the state turns up the heat on ESPN, its just giving them an excuse to move job creation to another state. Business leaders, went jilted, can get rather spiteful. Best to make the friendly phone call and thats it. You can make several calls in fact, just don't threaten.

Reaction Score

It's the latter. ESPN knows that the threat to not pay up is a bluff.

Reaction Score
UConn will have a better home in 2024 than the Big 12. It sucks to think Memphis or UCF will get in before Connecticut does, but I wouldn't fret.

Big Ten or ACC is coming. I'm pretty sure of it.
at that point, uconn would still be g5 while memphis and ucf would have the glorious p5 moniker.
In 2024, the rumors will be UCF and FSU to the BIG...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure about that.

Fluguar's invisible friend BTM has always seemed a tad Huskerish for a "Sooner" and these two assertions seem motivated by snarkiness instead of logic.

Yes, Texas has a contract with ESPN but the ink on the contract is dry and it's binding come hell or high water. Why in the hell would the University of Texas feel any compulsion to be ESPN's lackey? Texas has a little bit of juice itself (second only to Harvard in endowments, ya know) and a whole hell of a lot of pride.

I can't see that.
I can see ESPN saying that they'd help facilitate a soft landing for Texas or alternatively consider adding some time to the LHN in exchange for some help now.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

A little dramatic, don't you think? Most of the doomsday scenarios surround us not being picked, while other teams are. Status quo is about a million times better than the really bad scenarios.

Reaction Score

Boy they're really opening themselves up to a legal blizzard given they entered into that contract with 12 or more teams to begin with. That sounds like a negotiating ploy. Espn has no one to blame but themselves for that Longhorn network. I'm not sure that BYU and Cincy has not won more games over the past 10 years compared to Colorado, Mizzou, etc. Trying to portray conference turnover in this situation as watering things down is a stretch. They didn't lose Texas and Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
Why should ESPN care when the Connecticut media allows them to get away with it by bringing no public pressure?
Why would they care even if they were getting public pressure? They can just fall back on the fact that they're not the ones making the decisions on expansion, the conferences are.

The benefits they get from the state are never going to be seriously called into question. They have all the leverage and can play dumb.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom