Non-Key Tweets | Page 585 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Cougar High is an Aggie chant that began in the 1950s referring to the fact our original campus in the 1920s was a converted high school. We moved to our current location in 1936. Here's a walking tour of just part of the campus:

How cute. Here's a look at UConn:

Regarding university quality -

US News and World Report Rankings:
UConn #57
Houston #187

Thank you for your interest in the University of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges - the FB schools would have revolted had another "basketball school" been selected.

Recall that the GOR was not signed until April 2013 and the Maryland exit and replacement came in November 2012. There had been some comments from the FSU board of trustees chairman in May 2012 that the school should see what the Big 12 might offer. The conference had to tilt to the "football schools" under the circumstances. No doubt the conference would have been happier with UConn academics.

Reaction Score
Cougar High is an Aggie chant that began in the 1950s referring to the fact our original campus in the 1920s was a converted high school. We moved to our current location in 1936. Here's a walking tour of just part of the campus:

ARWU uses six objective indicators to rank world universities, including the number of alumni and staff winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals, number of highly cited researchers selected by Thomson Reuters, number of articles published in journals of Nature and Science, number of articles indexed in Science Citation Index - Expanded and Social Sciences Citation Index, and per capita performance of a university. More than 1200 universities are ranked by ARWU every year and the best 500 are published.

Houston ranks 201-300 in the world.
UConn ranks 301-400.

Place looks like a dump.

Reaction Score
How cute. Here's a look at UConn:

Regarding university quality -

US News and World Report Rankings:
UConn #57
Houston #187

Thank you for your interest in the University of Connecticut.

GreendaleCommunityCollege_zpscf1c36e6.jpg

Reaction Score
This was just tweeted about 30 min ago.

Tuxedo Yoda
‏@TuxedoYoda

Was told Big 12 announcement day is Tuesday August 16. Will be 4 or 6 teams added.

Who knows but figured I'd post it.
If 6 teams are leaving the B12 enmasse..

Reaction Score
I don't pretend to be a CR guru or anything like that but I do remember what ND's AD Swarbrick (I think it was) said about all of this - these decisions are made by school presidents and academics is important to them, not just athletics, geographic location, etc. Now I don't want to offend anyone but I have seen UH described as "Cougar High" by some Texas folks on one of the SB Nation blogs so I think it is extremely unlikely that the Pac 12 conference (which is interested in academics) would be the least bit interested. I have read that UConn has a good US News & World Report school rating but the Big 10 took athletically-challenged Rutgers instead b/c of the AAU angle. UConn was the better athletic school and had a good academic rating but the AAU academic angle made the difference as at one time all of the Big10 schools had AAU status but don't now (hello, Nebraska). I have also been reading Big 12 school blogs and a number of them are not in favor of UH b/c of recruiting competition in Texas, 4 schools are already there, and wanting schools in other states - there certainly can be more than 3 no votes IMO.
You're right....you're not a guru....UConn wasn't contiginous OR even a consideration.....RU had been on an unofficial waiting list for years....do a little research..

Reaction Score
You're right....you're not a guru....UConn wasn't contiginous OR even a consideration.....RU had been on an unofficial waiting list for years....do a little research..

Research = agreeing with the people I agree with

Reaction Score
Place looks like a dump.

The entire campus could consist of a series of Waffle Houses, massage parlors, and dollar stores and it would make absolutely no difference. If UT and UT alone says they are in, then they will be in.

The reality is that there are only two candidates whose all around resumes demand P5 Inclusion. BYU and UCONN. There are a bunch of other candidates that can make an argument for inclusion, but just as many or more counter arguments could be made against this group.

Common sense dictates that these two should be a slam dunk, but The Big 12 has never demonstrated even one iota of possessing any. Complicating matters further is how politically motivated their decisions seem to be. I will honestly not be surprised by any outcome, unless it includes UT signing an extended GOR.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 is only taking two, they should take UCONN and Houston. The reason is, that it is possible that the B1G or ACC will take UCONN in the future. It is also possible the PAC12 could take Houston to get into Texas. BYU and Cinn. will always be available, no other P5 conference is going to take them. If the Big 12 goes to 14, you can go ahead and add them.

Reaction Score
Cougar High is an Aggie chant that began in the 1950s referring to the fact our original campus in the 1920s was a converted high school. We moved to our current location in 1936...

Sure it wasn't Rice fans? 'Cougar High' almost sounds too witty for Aggies to have come up with it. They're the people who think referring to the University of Texas as tu is the height of cleverness.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 is only taking two, they should take UCONN and Houston. The reason is, that it is possible that the B1G or ACC will take UCONN in the future. It is also possible the PAC12 could take Houston to get into Texas. BYU and Cinn. will always be available, no other P5 conference is going to take them. If the Big 12 goes to 14, you can go ahead and add them.

Why would you leave all those millions on the table you can get under your current contract by going to 14? There's no guarantee when that contract is up you will even still have 14 teams. It's not a beauty contest, and between wv being stranded with no north division and more texas tv's, not a lot of new ground broken for the future tv contract. They have to spread their product to new areas or that next contract will not likely be a keeper for the big schools.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 3h3 hours ago
All the data
All the negotiations
All the campaigning
All the horse trading of votes
All comes down to thumbs up from University of Texas

Earlier tweets by Greg Fenves and Jamie Pollard seem to suggest it all comes down to Iowa State University. Texas is on board provided Houston's considered. ISU isn't convinced by anything.

Reaction Score
Earlier tweets by Greg Fenves and Jamie Pollard seem to suggest it all comes down to Iowa State University. Texas is on board provided Houston's considered. ISU isn't convinced by anything.

Iowa State can't pull two other votes to stop expansion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom