Non-Key Tweets | Page 584 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
  1. Big 12 Confirmed ‏@Big12Confirmed 4h4 hours ago
  2. Some Big 12 presidents have voiced concern over the distance between UConn and all other schools.
  3. 0 retweets 1 like
  1. Big 12 Confirmed ‏@Big12Confirmed 4h4 hours ago
  2. Memphis, UCF and CSU replace UConn in other packages. BYU, Cincinnati and Houston are virtual locks.
  3. 14 retweets 12 likes
  1. Trending toward BYU, Cincy, Houston and UConn. Three packages of teams to be voted on by Big 12 presidents.
  2. 11 retweets 17 likes

Me: No idea who this is

Reaction Score
I think the Pac 12 would love to go to 14 but there's just not anyone out there if you don't take apart he B12. I can buy Houston (maybe) but there isn't anyone else unless they go further east than Texas.

Reaction Score
I don't pretend to be a CR guru or anything like that but I do remember what ND's AD Swarbrick (I think it was) said about all of this - these decisions are made by school presidents and academics is important to them, not just athletics, geographic location, etc. Now I don't want to offend anyone but I have seen UH described as "Cougar High" by some Texas folks on one of the SB Nation blogs so I think it is extremely unlikely that the Pac 12 conference (which is interested in academics) would be the least bit interested. I have read that UConn has a good US News & World Report school rating but the Big 10 took athletically-challenged Rutgers instead b/c of the AAU angle. UConn was the better athletic school and had a good academic rating but the AAU academic angle made the difference as at one time all of the Big10 schools had AAU status but don't now (hello, Nebraska). I have also been reading Big 12 school blogs and a number of them are not in favor of UH b/c of recruiting competition in Texas, 4 schools are already there, and wanting schools in other states - there certainly can be more than 3 no votes IMO.

Reaction Score
Now I don't want to offend anyone but I have seen UH described as "Cougar High" by some Texas folks on one of the SB Nation blogs so I think it is extremely unlikely that the Pac 12 conference (which is interested in academics) would be the least bit interested.

Cougar High is an Aggie chant that began in the 1950s referring to the fact our original campus in the 1920s was a converted high school. We moved to our current location in 1936. Here's a walking tour of just part of the campus:

ARWU uses six objective indicators to rank world universities, including the number of alumni and staff winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals, number of highly cited researchers selected by Thomson Reuters, number of articles published in journals of Nature and Science, number of articles indexed in Science Citation Index - Expanded and Social Sciences Citation Index, and per capita performance of a university. More than 1200 universities are ranked by ARWU every year and the best 500 are published.

Houston ranks 201-300 in the world.
UConn ranks 301-400.

Reaction Score
Cougar High is an Aggie chant that began in the 1950s referring to the fact our original campus in the 1920s was a converted high school. We moved to our current location in 1936. Here's a walking tour of just part of the campus:

ARWU uses six objective indicators to rank world universities, including the number of alumni and staff winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals, number of highly cited researchers selected by Thomson Reuters, number of articles published in journals of Nature and Science, number of articles indexed in Science Citation Index - Expanded and Social Sciences Citation Index, and per capita performance of a university. More than 1200 universities are ranked by ARWU every year and the best 500 are published.

UConn ranks 301-400.

I know that when I want to evaluate the quality of American academic institutions, my first source is always the Chinese.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, Tulane is ranked right there with uconn.
I suppose to someone it makes sense. However just looking at some of the schools, you can see selectivity or competitiveness doesn't appear to be consistent or a significant factor.

Reaction Score
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings claim to " list the best global universities and are the only international university performance tables to judge world class universities across all of their core missions - teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook," based on "13 carefully calibrated performance indicators." The list is 800 universities deep, and showed the following:

201-250: South Florida
251-300: Tulane, Colorado State
301-350: Cincinnati, UConn
351-400: Houston, Temple
Not listed: Memphis, BYU, Central Florida, UNLV, Boise State, East Carolina

Top five: Caltech, Oxford, Stanford, Cambridge, MIT

Highest-ranked FBS schools: UCLA, 16; Duke, 20; Michigan, 21; Northwestern, 25

UT-Austin: 46
Iowa State: 251-300
Oklahoma State: 501-600
Kansas State: 501-600
Texas Tech: 601-800
Kansas: unlisted
Oklahoma: unlisted
West Virginia: unlisted
Baylor: unlisted
Texas Christian: unlisted

For what it's worth. I'd imagine these ratings systems compete with each other, and thus use different rankings metrics. Do we know which ones the Big 12 evaluators are relying upon?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
These ratings systems do not compete with each other, particularly systems that rate USF above UConn.

Flugs claims everything is set and just waiting on green light from Texas.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Agreed. If these are the 14 schools, it should look like this:

North - UCONN, UC, WVU, ISU, KU, KSU, TCU
South - UH, UT, OU, OSU, TT, BU, BYU

You don't break up KU/KSU or OU/OSU. TX and OU have to be in the same division for the rivalry game. This keeps the TX schools largely together, except the second newest newcomer TCU, which was going to join the Big East before the B12 came calling. UT would probably be happy not to have to play them very often anyway. This alignment also gives you UCONN vs. Kansas in BB, which could develop into an interesting rivalry.

BYU vs Baylor <--ah, the great battle of the christian faiths. Winner plays ND.

I like your set up, but maybe the conf will want to split the TX schools 3 and 2 rather than 4 and 1....but who knows. If so, maybe swap KSU for UH. That would make the North / South heavy weights - WV/UH/TCU and BYU/OU/UT. I like our chances if our path to the conf champion is around OU and UT.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Oh god, like this is worth a read. They have zero major athletic accomplishments, so in light of that, just how could they ever begin to argue they are anywhere in the top 6 of expansion candidates. Temple has more pedigree by a mile.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I don't pretend to be a CR guru or anything like that but I do remember what ND's AD Swarbrick (I think it was) said about all of this - these decisions are made by school presidents and academics is important to them, not just athletics, geographic location, etc. Now I don't want to offend anyone but I have seen UH described as "Cougar High" by some Texas folks on one of the SB Nation blogs so I think it is extremely unlikely that the Pac 12 conference (which is interested in academics) would be the least bit interested. I have read that UConn has a good US News & World Report school rating but the Big 10 took athletically-challenged Rutgers instead b/c of the AAU angle. UConn was the better athletic school and had a good academic rating but the AAU academic angle made the difference as at one time all of the Big10 schools had AAU status but don't now (hello, Nebraska). I have also been reading Big 12 school blogs and a number of them are not in favor of UH b/c of recruiting competition in Texas, 4 schools are already there, and wanting schools in other states - there certainly can be more than 3 no votes IMO.

Exactly....and that's why the ACC selected Louisville over UConn......oh wait....

Reaction Score
Oh god, like this is worth a read. They have zero major athletic accomplishments, so in light of that, just how could they ever begin to argue they are anywhere in the top 6 of expansion candidates. Temple has more pedigree by a mile.
I enjoyed it for its comedic value. But I think they'd be a better option than Memphis. Their fans would showup no matter what.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 16m16 minutes ago
So to throw more gas on this fire: Houston telling UT they and another may have a P12 offer on the table by end of the week.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 15m15 minutes ago
Could the Pac12 be in panic mode and trying to get schools they thought would always be available to them?

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 14m14 minutes ago
Or is it just a bluff to force the B12's hand?

Storrs South ‏@UConn6thBorough 14m14 minutes ago
@MH ver3 why would B12 care? They would just take next in line. Most in conference don't want them anyway.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 13m13 minutes ago
@UConn6thBorough true enough but B12 doesn't want P12 in its territory or to strengthen its network subscriptions.

Storrs South ‏@UConn6thBorough 12m12 minutes ago
@MH ver3 that's a fair point. Anything new on the four schools expected to be brought into the fold?

Thoughts of esuortS ‏@bstrouse 4m4 minutes ago
@UConn6thBorough @MH ver3 let's all hope Houston takes off to the P12!!!! One less for UConn fans to worry about!

Beefman ‏@B33FMAN 13m13 minutes ago
@ I think it's a bluff. Who would the other be?

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 12m12 minutes ago
@B33FMAN I'm guessing either CSU, UNLV, or maybe Boise. Definitely not BYU. Liberals hate the conservative Mormons.

Beefman ‏@B33FMAN 6m6 minutes ago
@MH ver3 but they also believe Boise and UNLV don't live up to their academic standards so I don't see them being a fit either

Beefman ‏@B33FMAN 13m13 minutes ago
@MH ver3 wouldn't be BYU or CSU. Or Boise, or UNLV. Houston wants to assure their spot IMO

Howard Sprauge ‏@HSprauge 16m16 minutes ago
@MH ver3 // Who is the other?

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 15m15 minutes ago
@HSprauge wasn't told yet.

ME: More organ music for the circus.

A dream scenario in my mind would be for the PAC to take Houston and BYU. Then the B12's situation becomes clear; go east and take UConn/Cincy/Florida Directional and Temple. Yeah, I know - wacky. And forget CSU/Memphis/Tulane.

That said, I'm signing up for UConn/UH/BYU/Cincy in a heartbeat under virtually any terms including the performance/look back clause.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 15h15 hours ago
We are at End Game.
B12 Presidents will look at financial packages candidates agreed to...

Important to note:
Without doubt more than 1 package of candidates will be available to be voted on-prepared by Bowlsby.

Only OU Contacts believe it's heading toward UC/UCONN/BYU/UH
But won't be only package Bowlsby will have ready at hand for B12 Prez votes

There was travel today.
Important travel.
Due in large to B12 Presidents respect to AAC Conf and its institutions.
Large motivation

Some "professional" has nailed one of the Presidents travel today.
People are starting to catch on..
Starting to pop.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 14h14 hours ago
Multiple AAC Presidents went to Texas today.
Remember...Multiple.
Presidents outside of UH/UCONN/UC
Voting packages being formed.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 3h3 hours ago
All the data
All the negotiations
All the campaigning
All the horse trading of votes
All comes down to thumbs up from University of Texas

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Remember...Multiple.

All the data
All the negotiations
All the campaigning

hmmmm....As in whether or not UT will agree to fold in the LHN at its expiration and extend the GOR?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

UConn ranks 301-400.

Thanks for the video tour. Surprisingly, the campus is more of a wasteland than I imagined!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We are at End Game.
B12 Presidents will look at financial packages candidates agreed to...

Important to note:
Without doubt more than 1 package of candidates will be available to be voted on-prepared by Bowlsby.

Only OU Contacts believe it's heading toward UC/UCONN/BYU/UH
But won't be only package Bowlsby will have ready at hand for B12 Prez votes

There was travel today.
Important travel.
Due in large to B12 Presidents respect to AAC Conf and its institutions.
Large motivation

Some "professional" has nailed one of the Presidents travel today.
People are starting to catch on..
Starting to pop.

Remember...Multiple.

All the data
All the negotiations
All the campaigning

And there it is. My guess is that this is approximately right, and we will find out soon enough what Texas wants to do.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I picked the worst two weeks for a vacation--if we get passed over, the whole darn trip will be ruined

Reaction Score

UConn ranks 301-400.

True there are different measures but in the USA usually people refer to the US N&WR ratings, for instance Duke is 8 and ND 18, etc.

Reaction Score
In another example of this FSU is "only" 96 in the US News National Rankings but is 70 in the ARWU National Rankings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom