Non-Key Tweets | Page 347 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Not a tweet, but discussion of UC and UCONN as considerations for the Big 12. Starts around page 1054.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-599970-page-1054.html

I found the audio for the radio show that is mentioned. Berry Tramel, who is a sports writer for The Oklahoman, had a lot of good things to say about UConn. As far as Big 12 expansion, he said that UConn is back on the table and noted that Diaco has revived football. He also said that Delany sees the Big12 as "vulnerable". It is the December 22 show and he starts at 32 minutes.

http://wvmetronews.com/shows/sportsline/

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I found the audio for the radio show that is mentioned. Berry Tramel, who is a sports writer for The Oklahoman, had a lot of good things to say about UConn. As far as Big 12 expansion, he said that UConn is back on the table and noted that Diaco has revived football. He also said that Delany sees the Big12 as "vulnerable". It is the December 22 show and he starts at 32 minutes.

http://wvmetronews.com/shows/sportsline/
likelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelike

Reaction Score
likelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelike
I not sure being on the B12 radar,is enough to cause either the B1G or ACC any anxiety, but I guess it's better than not being on their radar.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 45m45 minutes ago
The reason ACC gauged the interest of NW & PSU is because ACC lawyers believe neither are bound by the B1G GOR.
Why?

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 45m45 minutes ago
Strong belief in ACC that PA State law deletes the ability of Public College to be bound by Private Grant of Rights (B1G to TV Partners)

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 44m44 minutes ago
ACC also believes Northwestern, for different reasons..some having to do with being a private college in mixture of Illinois state laws...

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 43m43 minutes ago
...some theorized in ACC/ESPN that Northwestern is not bound by B1G GOR.
I gave this info to Dude of WV way way way back.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 42m42 minutes ago
I do not know if ACC Lawyers perception are true. But I can only tell you through Maryland contacts (those who gave us settlement info)...

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 41m41 minutes ago
...that ACC hold this perception...or at least did 2 years ago.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 37m37 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush Again....FOX got partial P5 content on Eastern Seaboard with Maryland. ESPN looked to see if PA and Chicago could be stolen

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 37m37 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush ...stolen away from FOX.
ESPN greatest fear is more and more P5 content being shared or stolen to FOX.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 36m36 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush I'm sorry...I meant ESPN greatest fear is more EASTERN P5 Content being shared or outright stolen/taken from FOX

Reaction Score
As if Northwestern or Penn State would have any interest in the acc let alone leaving the B1G

If you set the situation back two years to when that info was supposedly current, many in the PSU family were very upset with the B1G.

There had been some ongoing grousing by PSU fans over the years...PSU, an eastern school in a midwest conference took a while to find its feet. The fact that when PSU went undefeated in 1994 and no writer from Big Ten country voted them #1 in the AP rankled some fans.

All in all, I do not think any P5 school is going anywhere nor did PSU think about going anywhere, but I do believe that Penn State folks were upset with the conference after the JoPa situation....and that created back chatter.

Reaction Score
There's an article in the JI today "UConn Still An Option For Big 12?" I can't find it online, but anyway, Berry Tremel (columnist for The Oklahoman) went on the radio in WV and said that UConn is a candidate to go to the Big 12 if they expand. Talks about how PP broke the football program but they've turned it around under Diaco, good academics, good markets, and also how adding them and Cincy would be good for WVU, geography-wise. Not sure if it's nonsense or not, but whatever, thought I'd share.

pj

Reaction Score
There's an article in the JI today "UConn Still An Option For Big 12?" I can't find it online, but anyway, Berry Tremel (columnist for The Oklahoman) went on the radio in WV and said that UConn is a candidate to go to the Big 12 if they expand. Talks about how PP broke the football program but they've turned it around under Diaco, good academics, good markets, and also how adding them and Cincy would be good for WVU, geography-wise. Not sure if it's nonsense or not, but whatever, thought I'd share.

Crazy if huge decisions like this are based on the last few years of football results.

GG

Reaction Score
Yes, there is a link to the audio above.

Reaction Score
If you set the situation back two years to when that info was supposedly current, many in the PSU family were very upset with the B1G.

There had been some ongoing grousing by PSU fans over the years...PSU, an eastern school in a midwest conference took a while to find its feet. The fact that when PSU went undefeated in 1994 and no writer from Big Ten country voted them #1 in the AP rankled some fans.

All in all, I do not think any P5 school is going anywhere nor did PSU think about going anywhere, but I do believe that Penn State folks were upset with the conference after the JoPa situation....and that created back chatter.

The Big E had a shot a Penn State and blew it because they didn't play good football. Fools. I also heard of some of the anti B1G grumbling by Penn St alumni here in Jersey. That said, no one thought they would leave the B1G for the ACC, especially after Rutgers was added, because 1) the B1G pay more and is more stable that the ACC, and 2) the B1G is more that just sports, the research side of the B1G, i.e. CIC, is worth a lot of money, too.

Reaction Score
Crazy if huge decisions like this are based on the last few years of football results.
While I agree, i don't think any P5 league is going to offer and out and out dumpster fire which is exactly what he had devolved into prior to this year. Now were showing signs of life, there was some semblance of playing competent football, the crowds were somewhat decent again and its a much easier sell to convince fan bases that adding us isn't an absolute disaster of an addition. That's my hope anyways.

Reaction Score

http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/v1/u...1754775498001_4673759428001_4673735626001.mp4

Reaction Score
Interesting Barry Tramel's take on UConn " I thought it was very poor Academically"
He admitted it was pretty much through hear say. When he actually looked it up he was surprised at the our academic stature.
This probably is the result of the years of bad press we received over the NCAA
suspension. It shows how media can be a huge force for misinformation.

Reaction Score
Interesting Barry Tramel's take on UConn " I thought it was very poor Academically"
He admitted it was pretty much through hear say. When he actually looked it up he was surprised at the our academic stature.
This probably is the result of the years of bad press we received over the NCAA
suspension. It shows how media can be a huge force for misinformation.

Good point. I thought it was strange when he said that, too.

Reaction Score
Good point. I thought it was strange when he said that, too.
Strange perhaps, but Tramel's take on UCONN reflects a simple lack of knowledge regarding the university's academic status and massive advancement in recent decades. Unfortunately, Tramel's not alone nationally and the same applies to a lesser extent regarding Connecticut's large NY market and New Haven/Hartford internet and TV eyes.

Reaction Score

Total BS, my father voted for PSU as an AP voter for the St. Paul Pioneer Press & Dispatch. In fact the Midwest may have given PSU more votes than any other region - though not much. Even the Upper East Coast went overwhelmingly for Nebraska.

Nebraska was the sentimental favorite for years because Osbourne had so many close losses and they got hosed against PSU during the season PSU won it all, I believe 82. PSU had already won 2 NCs under Paterno before Osbourne got his first.

The 94 PSU team was great, but they barely squeaked by Indiana and Illinois that season.

The country, again, went overwhelmingly for PSU.

Stop reading PSU threads, they're dominated by old timers who can't accept how mediocre the program became towards Jo Pa's twilight where he utterly lost control of the program - was way too old to coach. If you monitored BWI Illustrated over the last 4 years of Jo Pa's career, the vast majority of the mostly terrible human beings on that website wanted Jo Pa gone, but then did a 180 when PSU lost control of their program & got what they deserved, but recaptured their wins due to legal mistakes by the NCAA.

Bottom line: PSU got watered down in the BIG because they simply can't beat the likes of Michigan and OSU in the big games, so the old timer Jo Bots blame the refs. They are hardly the core of that fanbase. Heck, PSU hardly has winning record against Minnesota in BIG play.

It's been argued that Barry Alvarez was concerned about losing PSU to the ACC, but he was knee jerking to threads and message boards via misinformation and he's far from the commissioner of the league.

But to be honest with you, I could care less of PSU leaves - there are too many whiners in that fanbase. Their wrestling and volleyball programs would fall apart in the ACC, they've won 11 titles over the past decade in these sports in large part because of BIG membership. Their recruiting base would crumble in these two sports with an ACC membership. They've never proven to be a good basketball school capable of capturing a rich stock of Pa hoops talent - so they'd just cellar dwell in ACC hoops.

I dare say if PSU bolts to the ACC, then a program like Rutgers, Jersey having better hs talent than PA now, could rise under the right coach.

Lastly, PSU can't complain about having a Midwestern feel anymore, Rutgers and Maryland, along with OSU give the program 3 border state programs. Moreover, PSU idiots often complain about the Rust Belt, when in fact PA is very Rusty - historically speaking.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
There is no chance that anyone leaves the Big Ten or SEC for the ACC.

You don't take what will be more than a 50% pay cut to join a lesser league.

But wait . . . I thought that the ACCN was going to make up the difference between the ACC and the rest of the field?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
But wait . . . I thought that the ACCN was going to make up the difference between the ACC and the rest of the field?
Announcement coming in 20 minutes.

(old boneyard joke)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom