Non-Key Tweets | Page 986 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Joseph" - I get it.

"UConn would be an obvious fit... as would any of the big east schools that play football...."

Nbc Idk GIF by Good Girls

Reaction Score
It's likely. They have good football.
And a cool football stadium as well, but they haven't always had good football. That is a Willie Fritz phenomenon, previously Bob Toledo had a couple of good seasons. Same thing with Memphis. For most of my life both programs were an abomination. CFB is about the headcoach 1st and foremost and competent QB play 2nd. If you have a good coach, you have to pay up to retain him. Not much different than you do with a Calhoun, Hurley, or Geno. Finding that right coach is the tricky part.

Reaction Score
And a cool football stadium as well, but they haven't always had good football. That is a Willie Fritz phenomenon, previously Bob Toledo had a couple of good seasons. Same thing with Memphis. For most of my life both programs were an abomination. CFB is about the headcoach 1st and foremost and competent QB play 2nd. If you have a good coach, you have to pay up to retain him. Not much different than you do with a Calhoun, Hurley, or Geno. Finding that right coach is the tricky part.

Tulane kind of has intermittent periods of decency punctuated by long periods of being bad.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is worst of the P4 options for UConn... by far (unless they add at least 4 northeast teams)
It’s the only viable option we have. The ACC is on the verge of imploding, and the better leftovers will flee to the big 12. See collapse of PAC. And there’s no way we’re ever getting into the SEC or B1G

Reaction Score
It’s the only viable option we have. The ACC is on the verge of imploding, and the better leftovers will flee to the big 12. See collapse of PAC. And there’s no way we’re ever getting into the SEC or B1G

If there is a strong enough core of ACC teams leftover they might be able to add teams and keep the ACC afloat. Hopefully we find out soon.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Multiple members of the BoT going on record saying the ACC is lagging in revenue, they blame the commissioner and want to actively explore other options? I'd call that "Key Tweets".

Trustee Dave Boliek, a former chairman, said after the meeting there was an "imbalance in the budget" that required shifting dollars from other fund balances to cover the cost of athletics. He said the board hasn't been given a strategy on how UNC will move forward.

"Carolina's ability to maintain excellence at a high level is going to require really prudent budgeting and revenue models and potential cost cutting," Boliek said. "A lot of it is due to the revenue or lack there of of revenue that we're not receiving from the ACC deal."

The ACC distributes about $40 million per school to its member institutions. But the SEC and Big Ten are projected to distribute up to $70 million in coming years due to growing media rights agreements. The two leagues will receive more money than the ACC each year of the new College Football Playoff.

"It's not something you can chance with the snap of a finger," Boliek said. "It's something we've got to be cognizant of. We can't sit back and cross our fingers and pray for pennies from heaven and thinking everything is going to 'work out.' We have to actively pursue what's in the best interests of Carolina athletics."

Florida State and Clemson have sued the ACC seeking to lessen their fees and penalties for leaving the league.

Boliek said he wants UNC to join a higher-revenue league.

"I am advocating for that," he said. "That's what we need to do. We need to do everything we can to get there. Or the alternative is the ACC is going to have to reconstruct itself. I think all options are on the table."

Preyer told WRAL in March that the ACC was failing its top schools, including North Carolina.

"The conference is not acting as if it is representing the best interests of the member schools including the top tier of those schools - Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina," Preyer said.

"Instead, it is acting at the expense of those schools to prop up the bottom tier of the conference in a way that I think is a gross abdication of responsibility. And I lay that at the feet of the commissioner."

Reaction Score
Multiple members of the BoT going on record saying the ACC is lagging in revenue, they blame the commissioner and want to actively explore other options? I'd call that "Key Tweets".

Trustee Dave Boliek, a former chairman, said after the meeting there was an "imbalance in the budget" that required shifting dollars from other fund balances to cover the cost of athletics. He said the board hasn't been given a strategy on how UNC will move forward.

"Carolina's ability to maintain excellence at a high level is going to require really prudent budgeting and revenue models and potential cost cutting," Boliek said. "A lot of it is due to the revenue or lack there of of revenue that we're not receiving from the ACC deal."

The ACC distributes about $40 million per school to its member institutions. But the SEC and Big Ten are projected to distribute up to $70 million in coming years due to growing media rights agreements. The two leagues will receive more money than the ACC each year of the new College Football Playoff.

"It's not something you can chance with the snap of a finger," Boliek said. "It's something we've got to be cognizant of. We can't sit back and cross our fingers and pray for pennies from heaven and thinking everything is going to 'work out.' We have to actively pursue what's in the best interests of Carolina athletics."

Florida State and Clemson have sued the ACC seeking to lessen their fees and penalties for leaving the league.

"I am advocating for that," he said. "That's what we need to do. We need to do everything we can to get there. Or the alternative is the ACC is going to have to reconstruct itself. I think all options are on the table."

Preyer told WRAL in March that the ACC was failing its top schools, including North Carolina.

"The conference is not acting as if it is representing the best interests of the member schools including the top tier of those schools - Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina," Preyer said.

"Instead, it is acting at the expense of those schools to prop up the bottom tier of the conference in a way that I think is a gross abdication of responsibility. And I lay that at the feet of the commissioner."
These are absolutely key tweets. At this point it seems that UNC is following in FSU/Clemson trail. They basically admitted what we already all know - adding Calford and SMU was a joke done just to keep the conference afloat in case of collapse.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

See Boston College and Syracuse!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
These are absolutely key tweets. At this point it seems that UNC is following in FSU/Clemson trail. They basically admitted what we already all know - adding Calford and SMU was a joke done just to keep the conference afloat in case of collapse.

They said the quiet part out loud. There is an absolute split between schools in the ACC with value outside the ACC and schools whose only value is being in the ACC.

UNC is absolutely aligned with the "haves" in the conference.

Reaction Score
Probably but if the SEC makes a play for both Kansas and UNC, I think it then puts pressure on the B1G to bring in their own basketball brands. If the dominoes fall into place that way, Uconn might have a chance.

Reaction Score
C.W. Lambert@InsideTheBig12
·
4h
The ACC has a path to survival if Clemson and FSU leave. If Clemson, FSU and UNC leave then its lights out for the ACC. They can't survive all three and maintain their status as a P4 conference.

C.W. Lambert@InsideTheBig12
·
4h
Weeks ago I said I was waiting for UNC to file against the ACC. With what came out today it must be very close.

Reaction Score
In case anyone needs good laugh

As a UConn fan, I don't laugh at much anymore, especially when, in the same past scenario, we would laugh at the thought of powerhouse Rutty going B1G. No one in NYC cares about Rutgers, but that didn't stop the cable TV pull; repeat scenario for BC. Whenever one thinks they might know what is driving conference realignment, we see everything from perennial losers like Rutgers to dumpsterfire academic programs like Ville joining a conference that once prided itself on that front to programs with more recent success (SMU) paying their way into the ACC with Big Oil money all while Oregon State gets pushed out.

Call everything that happens luck at this point, the right place (cities with high tv markets) at the right time (recent success).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom