Non-Key Tweets | Page 349 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

pj

Reaction Score
It's the people who have options and are threatening to leave who are most likely to be "running the show". Witness Florida State and the ACC.

Reaction Score
Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 2h2 hours ago
I don't think it's realistic for Big 12 to expand by more than 2. Presidents tend to want bare minimum movement.

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 2h2 hours ago
We should assume that there are 2 spots in the Big 12 at most and that will be it for P5 expansion for a generation.

Mickey Scott‏@mickwithtwins
@frankthetank111 @SIPeteThamel could XII add 4 teams and see TV value? UC SDST BYU & BSU? Adds markets and brands.

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 1h1 hour ago
In theory, yes, but if you're on outside looking in, you hope for Big 12 expansion by 4 or 6. Not realistic, though.

Randall.‏@JRC_
@frankthetank111 Big question is: Are B12's expansion options (i.e., BYU, Cincy, Memphis, etc.) palatable to Texas or OU?

That's the billion dollar question. OU has been more publicly open to expansion. Texas has many diverging interests

Maximizing short-term revenue for UT and OU = no Big 12 expansion. Long-term league stability = Big 12 expansion.

Notre Dame will not be shut out of the playoffs for not being in a conference. Popular thought, but simply untrue.

Neither the Big Ten nor SEC want *anything* to do with ND joining the ACC and empowering a direct geographic rival.

One of my pet peeves in realignment talk is the thought of Notre Dame being "forced" to join a league. It's completely untrue.

No conference wants Notre Dame to join *a* league. They want ND to join *their* league. Otherwise, they want ND to stay independent.

It's a disadvantage in the same way that the Big 12 is at a disadvantage w/o a CCG. It's not a concrete wall, though

Plus, I deal with a lot of Domers. Independence is a *mentality* for them beyond TV money. No reasoning with them.

OU would leave for B1G, SEC or Pac-12 in a heartbeat and they'd all invite OU *alone*. Issue is tie to Oklahoma St.

Unless there is an actual structural rule that you HAVE to be a conference champ to make the playoff, Notre Dame is NOT joining a league.

Low probability of not making the playoff does not cut it with ND's alums re: independence. They have to have a 0% chance by rule to change.

As I've explained, a rule locking out independents from the playoff won't occur b/c both B1G and SEC do NOT want ND joining the ACC.

I deal with Domers everyday. Independence is NOT about football. It's a school *identity*. They are insane about it.

Michael DeCourcy‏@tsnmike
@frankthetank111 Also, would be in courts 5 minutes after rule passed

Exactly. Making CFP access for independents and G5 really difficult is one thing. Closing access entirely is another

I think the ACC has solid ties. No poaching power like B1G and SEC, but schools genuinely like ACC (unlike Big 12).

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 59m59 minutes ago
As a B1G guy, I'd love to see UVA, UNC, GT & FSU jump here. It's just a lot tougher to poach ACC compared to Big 12.

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 57m57 minutes ago
FWIW, I think UVA would be most realistic target for B1G from ACC. UNC harder to poach b/c of Texas-like influence.

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 54m54 minutes ago
It's a catch-22. ACC only dies if UNC leaves, but UNC won't leave unless the ACC is dead.

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 53m53 minutes ago
Duke is *extremely* valuable. B1G and SEC would take UNC/Duke combo immediately. Not the same as OU/OSU.

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 52m52 minutes ago
In fact, both the B1G and SEC would take Duke by itself. Duke basketball is what ND FB was for prior generations.

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 50m50 minutes ago
Hoops matter very little (and I say that as a hoops guy), but UNC and Duke are 2 schools that are key in that front.

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 50m50 minutes ago
From B1G view, getting into North Carolina is big for football for long-term demographic growth and recruiting.

Colby Moorberg‏@ColbyDigsSoil
@frankthetank111 @BunkerF16 You underestimate the impact the NC congress would have if UNC would try to leave the same conference as NCSU.

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 49m49 minutes ago
Oh, I personally don't think UNC is moving from ACC at all. Texas is much more likely to leave Big 12 by comparison.

BunkerF16‏@BunkerF16
@frankthetank111 No way B1G takes Duke by itself....CBB nowhere near $$ CFB is..I can see UNC/Duke, B1G would rather UNC and GT (ATL market)

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 47m47 minutes ago
If the Big Ten would take Rutgers for a TV market, they would take Duke for *many* reasons. Not a doubt in my mind.

NC‏@JabbsNNJ
What are the reasons?

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 32m32 minutes ago
Elite academics, #1 national TV hoops draw, large state delivered for BTN, great recruiting area for both FB and BB

tuart Waugh‏@sg2waugh
@frankthetank111 Can't see Duke being first ACC school to move. Somebody else has to break the seal. B1G/SEC must pick another strategically

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 30m30 minutes ago
I agree, although if I were Jim Delany, I'd send out feelers for a UVA/Duke combo.

Adam Gold ‏@AGoldFan 29m29 minutes ago
@frankthetank111 what in the heck makes you think any ACC team is leaving let alone Duke? I love expansion talk, too. But please.

Adam Gold ‏@AGoldFan 24m24 minutes ago
@frankthetank111 and then you thought Delany should send out feelers for a UVA-Duke combo. Again, I LOVE this game of Risk, too. But, c'mon

Adam Gold ‏@AGoldFan 22m22 minutes ago
@frankthetank111 Grant of Rights should end any speculation. Plus, the league I'd say was most vulnerable to poachers would be the B12

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 27m27 minutes ago
I personally don't think anyone from the ACC is leaving. Just responding about value of Duke.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I'd want to be from the state of Willimantic.

The University of Willimantic JUNKIES

J. U. N. K. I. E. S.

JUNKIES!
JUNKIES!!
JUNKIES!!!

(sticks a needle in the arm)

pj

Reaction Score
Frank the Tank thinks B1G would take Duke by themselves but doesn't think they'll take us with a partner, even though we have nearly all of Duke's advantages and are also a state flagship?

He has an extreme case of prestige bias. Remains to be seen whether Duke's athletic prestige survives Krzyzewski. Academic prestige is what they would hang their hat on.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Frank the Tank thinks B1G would take Duke by themselves but doesn't think they'll take us with a partner, even though we have nearly all of Duke's advantages and are also a state flagship?

He has an extreme case of prestige bias. Remains to be seen whether Duke's athletic prestige survives Krzyzewski. Academic prestige is what they would hang their hat on.
They might go through a Matt Doherty-like period after Krzyzewski. And they might not win titles for a while. But Duke will not fall off over the long term the way, say, UCLA has, even though we all wish they would.

Anyway, all of this Duke stuff is a hypothetical that's not on the table, even if the ACC network never happens. I don't know if it's prestige bias, because in this hypothetical B1G would have a crack at Duke plus UVA, UNC, maybe Notre Dame or FSU if they want to go that way. If UConn could bring one of those schools with us, or Texas or Notre Dame, of course it would help our "prestige".

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They might go through a Matt Doherty-like period after Krzyzewski. And they might not win titles for a while. But Duke will not fall off over the long term the way, say, UCLA has, even though we all wish they would.

Anyway, all of this Duke stuff is a hypothetical that's not on the table, even if the ACC network never happens.

Why is it impossible? UCLA and Indiana have both fallen off the map.

Reactions: pj

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Why is it impossible? UCLA and Indiana have both fallen off the map.
It's not impossible, I'm just saying unlikely. Gut feeling, I think the administration will do a better job hiring the next coach. I could be wrong.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
All Frank is saying is that in a vacuum Duke has a ton of value and any conference would be happy to have them. Not earth shattering. We can pretend that we have similar value, but we don't. So we need to work harder to demonstrate the value we do add.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
All Frank is saying is that in a vacuum Duke has a ton of value and any conference would be happy to have them. Not earth shattering. We can pretend that we have similar value, but we don't. So we need to work harder to demonstrate the value we do add.

Who says we don't bring similar value? IMG said we do back in 2010. So does Nike. I highly doubt that Duke's value for similar deals significantly trumps/trumped our own, if it even does. These were both signed around 2010-2011 when UConn was standing on the deck of a sinking Titanic Big East conference with no more lifeboats left.

All of these Twitter people that continue to harp on "UConn brings no value" are dead wrong and speaking out of their "old money" arses. For FTT, his highest criteria seems to be whether or not a school played football in 1880. The Dude's highest criteria is football wins in a particular season. We were making every bit as much as some of the P5 schools while we were a member of the BCS elite class. I'm sure our school's leadership has been selling this and if they aren't, we need new leadership. UConn is every bit as valuable as over half of the P5 grandfathered schools. There is absolutely zero doubt about that.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Who says we don't bring similar value? IMG said we do back in 2010. So does Nike. I highly doubt that Duke's value for similar deals significantly trumps/trumped our own, if it even does. These were both signed around 2010-2011 when UConn was standing on the deck of a sinking Titanic Big East conference with no more lifeboats left.

All of these Twitter people that continue to harp on "UConn brings no value" are dead wrong and speaking out of their "old money" arses. For FTT, his highest criteria seems to be whether or not a school played football in 1880. The Dude's highest criteria is football wins in a particular season. We were making every bit as much as some of the P5 schools while we were a member of the BCS elite class. I'm sure our school's leadership has been selling this and if they aren't, we need new leadership. UConn is every bit as valuable as over half of the P5 grandfathered schools. There is absolutely zero doubt about that.
Of course I agree that we add value, more than most P5. I would also say that Duke is more valuable than UConn by most measures, but then it depends on definition of "similar value". Just how I see it.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Of course I agree that we add value, more than most P5. I would also say that Duke is more valuable than UConn by most measures, but then it depends on definition of "similar value". Just how I see it.
Agreed, but again, the whole #ACCpocalypse discussion is almost as hypothetical / moot as you can have in CR. Maybe a step or two away from promotion/relegation schemes which are fun to talk about but otherwise worthless. I understand folks from the mountaineering region of the country want it to happen but... B12 destruction much more likely.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Agreed, but again, the whole #ACCpocalypse discussion is almost as hypothetical / moot as you can have in CR. Maybe a step or two away from promotion/relegation schemes which are fun to talk about but otherwise worthless. I understand folks from the mountaineering region of the country want it to happen but... B12 destruction much more likely.
Agreed. :)

Reaction Score
To the extent we are labeled the State U from this small state - Willimantichooville- we aren't giving ourselves much of a chance.

Yes: NYC 6th Borough. RUTGERS & SU angled their way to that. But the stark reality is there is NY & NE representing 38 million demo & that's a large segment unrepresentated by Public growing University at the top level of College sports. And UConn is a proven entity in building Program.

I don't know how we do it. But we've got to keep trying. It is NYC. It is SNY. It's NESN if we must. But also keep pushing our influence in setting games with the NE State U & SUNY. And get better academically.

The B1G certainly has got that specific thing right. Football is paramount. But more than that ... this is being a Global University that draws the Out of State & abundant numbers of International kids. Look at the Demographic of that.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 18m18 minutes ago
@BrianEaton3 @FootbalHouston I have no doubt UC & UH are the picks. I also know official invitations haven't went out.

@BrianEaton3 @FootbalHouston I know it will be hard for UH to get the votes.

@BrianEaton3 @FootbalHouston And I know that the Big 12 will not receive the committee's recommendation until after the NCAA meetings in Jan

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @BrianEaton3 @FootbalHouston If they don't just decide to wait until spring.

Daniel Figurelli ‏@FootbalHouston · 17m17 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @BrianEaton3 I've heard spring, but that may change

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 15m15 minutes ago
@FootbalHouston @BrianEaton3 to what? vote? Spring is the earliest.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 19m19 minutes ago
@BrianEaton3 @FootbalHouston I have no doubt UC & UH have been told they are the picks. Plenty mistake that for an official invite.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @BrianEaton3 @FootbalHouston I have no idea where the UH people get UC got uppity and is out. That's crazy.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 11m11 minutes ago
@BrianEaton3 @FootbalHouston Why? The majority of Big 12 schools want to add easy wins if they expand.

Brian Eaton ‏@BrianEaton3 · 18m18 minutes ago  Houston, TX
@theDudeofWV @FootbalHouston haven't heard that. Curious about where Thamel is getting his info about UH not being strongly considered.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @BrianEaton3 @FootbalHouston Because UH doesn't have the votes yet. Some are very much opposed.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 10m10 minutes ago
@BrianEaton3 @FootbalHouston I'll add this too & it will be controversial. I think UH's success this year hurt more than helped.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 13m13 minutes ago
@BrianEaton3 @FootbalHouston Plus this: expansion only has 3 votes right now. More opposed to the idea of expansion than support it.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 21m21 minutes ago
@FootbalHouston @BrianEaton3 But they won't submit UC & UH for a vote until they are certain they have the votes.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 14m14 minutes ago
@BrianEaton3 @FootbalHouston Texas, Texas Tech & TCU don't want UH to become P5 and lose a recruiting edge over the Cougars.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 2h2 hours ago
No..UC & UH have not been told they are the picks as of today..nor invited as of today.
Dude straddling hard LOL

A Conference doesn't tell a university "you are the pick"...but you don't right now have the votes.
What world does @theDudeofWV live in?

Desmond Hume ‏@DezyHume · 2h2 hours ago
@flugempire @theDudeofWV I think that's pretty feasible. You're the school the composition committee is recommending but we don't have votes

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire @DezyHume @theDudeofWV
No it's not.
1) B12 is waiting on Dereg vote.
2) B12 has not begun negotiations with leading candidates.

Greg Flugaur
It takes all leverage away from B12 on negotiations with leading candidates (who we believe are UH-MEM-CINCY)

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 1h1 hour ago
@DezyHume @theDudeofWV
Nobody has been Picked. Nobody has been told they have been picked...if you get the votes.
Has not happened

@DezyHume @theDudeofWV Expansion Committee skins down the choices.
Forwards short list to full B12 Presidents.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
No..UC & UH have not been told they are the picks as of today..nor invited as of today.
Dude straddling hard LOL

A Conference doesn't tell a university "you are the pick"...but you don't right now have the votes.
What world does @theDudeofWV live in?

Desmond Hume ‏@DezyHume · 2h2 hours ago
@flugempire @theDudeofWV I think that's pretty feasible. You're the school the composition committee is recommending but we don't have votes

Greg Flugaur
No it's not.
1) B12 is waiting on Dereg vote.
2) B12 has not begun negotiations with leading candidates.

Greg Flugaur
It takes all leverage away from B12 on negotiations with leading candidates (who we believe are UH-MEM-CINCY)

@DezyHume @theDudeofWV
Nobody has been Picked. Nobody has been told they have been picked...if you get the votes.
Has not happened

@DezyHume @theDudeofWV Expansion Committee skins down the choices.
Forwards short list to full B12 Presidents.
So... a conference doesn't tell a school "you are the pick" but Big Ten Man hears who their top three are.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So... a conference doesn't tell a school "you are the pick" but Big Ten Man hears who their top three are.
He's Big 10 man, damn it. He sees all and knows all.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
These guys are lunatics.

There is no scenario in which the Big 12 doesn't have all the leverage in the world over any of the potential candidates.

What are they going to say? No? We'll wait for the next P5 conference?

Good lord.

Reaction Score
Money is touted on boards...but as long as you win championships, there may be less impetus to move to another conference. Sure Ohio State and Texas almost double up the monies received by even some teams in their own conference, but Texas needs to win with that money.

As long as the ACC can compete, they may not get too itchy (IMHO).

Since 2013, the ACC has won National Championships in football, men's basketball, baseball, men's soccer, women's soccer, men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse...it's been a good platform for winning national titles.

Will the money discrepancy between the Big Ten and SEC and other conferences become the Siren who will lure ships off course? That's the narrative, but I think we are ten years off from much happening with P5 team movements. And who knows what the world will look like in a decade.

CL82

Reaction Score
Money is touted on boards...but as long as you win championships, there may be less impetus to move to another conference. Sure Ohio State and Texas almost double up the monies received by even some teams in their own conference, but Texas needs to win with that money.

As long as the ACC can compete, they may not get too itchy (IMHO).

Since 2013, the ACC has won National Championships in football, men's basketball, baseball, men's soccer, women's soccer, men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse...it's been a good platform for winning national titles.

Will the money discrepancy between the Big Ten and SEC and other conferences become the Siren who will lure ships off course? That's the narrative, but I think we are ten years off from much happening with P5 team movements. And who knows what the world will look like in a decade.
You're cute. The spending war in college athletics isn't going away in the foreseeable future. As the differential below grows there will be more pressure for the most desirable teams to move to the higher earning leagues. The pressure will be felt most keenly by private institutions since they don't have a state to make up the differential between them and the highest paying conferences. The ACC, then, is ripe for movement. Only the potential carrot of a conference network has held it together. I doubt that holds up post the Big 10's new contract.

Conferences – By highest total average revenue 2009-2012
Conf.....Total Revenue ...Total Expense... Football Expense
Big 10 ---- $86,423,474---$78,717,221----$20,630,720
Big 12 ---- $82,727,759---$75,680,959----$19,765,214
SEC... ---- $80,859,162---$76,362,188----$18,982,916
Pac 12 ----$67,793,292---$66,286,549----$18,934,897
ACC...---- $65,437,575---$68,434,818----$19,447,062
American $39,845,559---$39,675,640----$12,062,451

http://winthropintelligence.com/2013/09/30/comparing-revenues-expenses-aq-conferences/

Credit for compiling the data in above chart and for the link to reference article to @Confident Carl. Link

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You're cute. The spending war in college athletics isn't going away in the foreseeable future. As the differential below grows there will be more pressure for the most desirable teams to move to the higher earning leagues. The pressure will be felt most keenly by private institutions since they don't have a state to make up the differential between them and the highest paying conferences. The ACC, then, is ripe for movement. Only the potential carrot of a conference network has held it together. I doubt that holds up post the Big 10's new contract.

http://winthropintelligence.com/2013/09/30/comparing-revenues-expenses-aq-conferences/

Credit for compiling the data in above chart and for the link to reference article to @Confident Carl. Link

In all fairness, you have no idea how lucrative the TV contract for ACC Women's Lacrosse is.

pj

Reaction Score

Interesting. Shows that schools really prioritize football competitiveness over other sports. They will spend to "keep up with the Joneses" in football even if revenue is $21 million less per year. Only when revenue is cut in half (American) is there are 35% reduction in football expenditures.

But, if the gap in total revenue grows further, as it has since 2012, will the ACC still be able to match B1G and SEC football expenditures? Florida State's and Clemson's recent success may be a last gasp for the ACC.

Reaction Score

More up to date info

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

CONFERENCE AVERAGE
1. SEC - $109,894,179
2. Big Ten - $101,913,930
3. Big 12 - $98,997,599
4. Pac 12 - $85,603,527
5. ACC - $82,393,045
6. AAC - $47,814,483

CONFERENCE MEDIAN
1. SEC - $114,661,912
2. Big Ten - $98,820,784
3. Big 12 - $86,455,341
4. Pac 12 - $85,455,062
5. ACC - $79,511,483
6. AAC - $45,437,943

BIG 12
1. Texas - $179,555,311
2. Oklahoma - $135,660,070
3. Baylor - $106,078,643
4. Kansas - $103,326,170
5. West Virginia - $87,265,473
6. Oklahoma State - $85,645,208
7. TCU - $80,608,562
8. Kansas State - $76,245,188
9. Texas Tech - $69,858,256
10. Iowa State - $65,733,110

ACC
1. Florida State - $121,319,469
2. Louisville - $104,325,208
3. Duke - $91,688,202
4. Syracuse - $87,175,761
5. Virginia - $87,059,237
6. North Carolina - $85,288,270
7. Virginia Tech - $81,298,133
8. Miami - $77,724,833
9. Clemson - $76,979,261
10. NC State - $76,839,435
11. Pittsburgh - $70,527,488
12. Boston College - $69,300,736
13. Georgia Tech - $65,304,486
14. Wake Forest - $58,672,116

BIG TEN
1. Ohio State - $170,903,135
2. Michigan - $132,336,025
3. Penn State - $127,930,142
4. Wisconsin - $125,790,567
5. Iowa - $107,404,210
6. Minnesota - $105,561,601
7. Nebraska - $103,763,277
8. Michigan State - $93,878,291
9. Indiana - $87,265,729
10. Maryland - $86,863,794
11. Purdue - $75,474,370
12. Illinois - $74,469,976
13. Northwestern - $70,028,074
14. Rutgers - $65,125,833

PAC 12
1. Stanford - $109,670,730
2. Southern Cal - $105,919,366
3. Washington - $103,540,117
4. UCLA - $96,912,767
5. Oregon - $85,823,502
6. California - $85,539,904
7. Arizona - $85,370,219
8. Arizona State - $83,706,393
9. Oregon State - $72,133,762
10. Colorado - $67,852,236
11. Washington State - $66,143,776
12. Utah - $64,629,551

SEC
1. Alabama - $150,620,199
2. LSU - $138,914,636
3. Florida - $130,772,416
4. Auburn - $126,647,970
5. Tennessee - $121,837,383
6. Arkansas - $116,166,428
7. Georgia - $116,151,279
8. South Carolina - $113,172,545
9. Kentucky - $110,450,933
10. Texas A&M - $110,004,867
11. Missouri - $83,943,459
12. Mississippi - $81,024,639
13. Vanderbilt - $70,661,736
14. Mississippi State - $68,150,018

AAC
1. Connecticut - $72,155,789
2. SMU - $55,349,010
3. Central Florida - $51,871,022
4. East Carolina - $48,743,915
5. South Florida - $46,895,838
6. Houston - $45,437,943
7. Cincinnati - $42,861,532
8. Memphis - $41,420,631
9. Tulane - $41,004,900
10. Tulsa - $40,329,852
11. Temple - $39,888,882

CL82

Reaction Score
@Bonz_44 Thanks, great info. It's good to see that even as a member of the AAC Connecticut's numbers are higher than some in every P5 conference and pretty close to the ACC average.

Interesting. Shows that schools really prioritize football competitiveness over other sports. They will spend to "keep up with the Joneses" in football even if revenue is $21 million less per year. Only when revenue is cut in half (American) is there are 35% reduction in football expenditures.
Keep in mind that the data I posted used 2009-2012 figures and 2014 conference membership. That likely skewed the football expense numbers downward as some of conference mates are still working to bring their programs up to P5 levels. I think the football expense numbers are an indication of the cost of FBS football and the fact that cost isn't impacted by revenue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom