Megan Walker Narrows her list of top schools | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Narrows her list of top schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
During the Lauren Cox/Joyner Holmes recruiting rush, many boards pointed out that some teams didn't have plan B's or C's in case those pursuits came up short.

Whether those contentions are/were right or wrong, I have seen that ND is certainly not putting all it's eggs into chasing one wing in 2017...they've also been out to see Evina Westbrook in Oregon, as well as Ms. Walker in Virginia. UConn seems to be taking this kind of approach as well, having already landed Lexi Gordon and Andra Espinoza-Hunter (tall guard, maybe wing?).

I'd look forward to either/or Walker or Westbrook coming. However, I'm really glad we've got Jackie Young there next year....

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
During the Lauren Cox/Joyner Holmes recruiting rush, many boards pointed out that some teams didn't have plan B's or C's in case those pursuits came up short.

Whether those contentions are/were right or wrong, I have seen that ND is certainly not putting all it's eggs into chasing one wing in 2017...they've also been out to see Evina Westbrook in Oregon, as well as Ms. Walker in Virginia. UConn seems to be taking this kind of approach as well, having already landed Lexi Gordon and Andra Espinoza-Hunter (tall guard, maybe wing?).
True. And, when you add in Kia Nurse and Samuelson, that is an abundance of SG/SF on one roster. But, when you are the #1 ranked player in the country, you probably have a lot of confidence in your abilities, and roster depth isn't always a key factor.

Reaction Score
Megan Walker sure plays it close to the vest at least on her twitter page....didn't see any posts about colleges at all....now Christyn Williams on the other hand has a giant banner photo of the 10 UConn National Championship trophies, a big mention about Brianna Stewart winning four MVP Awards and big photos of Kia and Mo......there's a basketball player not afraid to show some UConn love!
Now if she would just sign on the dotted line..................

Reaction Score
Part of Geno's message during the post game presser last night was directed directly at recruits. Paraphrased: "As long as the staff continues to find me those types of kids (ones that are unselfish and work hard) I can continue to coach for a long long time. They (the staff) gets me a different type of kid and things will change"
A few added points: If you grew up in the Phila/Norristown area as I did (same age as Geno/went to nearby high school), you realize most were raised on basketball. Geno likely was drawing up plays at 12. While always tough to read other's minds, my friends and interests revolve around work. Doubt Geno much different and likely doesn't have other interests he would enjoy more than coaching. If he was burnt out, never would have taken Olympic job.
Suspect Geno has well desired pride he has built a program, not just done great recruiting. As with Duke, we have all seen how transfers, injuries, etc. can affect results. With all the top 10 D1 Women's Programs exchanging spots the past few years, better to bet on a program, not individual recruiting classes. For top talent that wants to be best they can be, Conn a good bet with or without Geno (i.e.after the 10+ years until he retires).

Reaction Score
Megan Walker sure plays it close to the vest at least on her twitter page....didn't see any posts about colleges at all....now Christyn Williams on the other hand has a giant banner photo of the 10 UConn National Championship trophies, a big mention about Brianna Stewart winning four MVP Awards and big photos of Kia and Mo.there's a basketball player not afraid to show some UConn love!
Now if she would just sign on the dotted line...

Christyn Williams is the #3 in 2018 hoopcuriz.
2018 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - Terrific 25 - ESPN

Reaction Score
Part of Geno's message during the post game presser last night was directed directly at recruits. Paraphrased: "As long as the staff continues to find me those types of kids (ones that are unselfish and work hard) I can continue to coach for a long long time. They (the staff) gets me a different type of kid and things will change"
We can never know these things for sure, but, because of the historic nature of last night and therefore the increased media attention, how much this will spike UConn recruiting, esp. with it being so public that there are now "job openings" on the team. We at home, while having experienced it so often, were nevertheless sort of stunned by the comportment team and fans displayed. Everyone seemed to be having a huge amount of fun, in all the right ways. The qualities that CD drills into these kids is pretty spectacular to watch, especially at a moment when they could certainly be excused for letting go a bit (like Stef Dolson's very cool hair!). Parents of recruits had to be impressed, too.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
esp. with it being so public that there are now "job openings" on the team.

There really are very few openings. Three players in the fall; two already given a verbal for next year. Presumably 1-2 more for '17.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A few added points: If you grew up in the Phila/Norristown area as I did (same age as Geno/went to nearby high school), you realize most were raised on basketball. Geno likely was drawing up plays at 12. While always tough to read other's minds, my friends and interests revolve around work. Doubt Geno much different and likely doesn't have other interests he would enjoy more than coaching. If he was burnt out, never would have taken Olympic job.
Suspect Geno has well desired pride he has built a program, not just done great recruiting. As with Duke, we have all seen how transfers, injuries, etc. can affect results. With all the top 10 D1 Women's Programs exchanging spots the past few years, better to bet on a program, not individual recruiting classes. For top talent that wants to be best they can be, Conn a good bet with or without Geno (i.e.after the 10+ years until he retires).
I did grow up in Norristown not the same age as Geno but was lucky enough to be coached by him in HS JV basketball.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I did grow up in Norristown not the same age as Geno but was lucky enough to be coached by him in HS JV basketball.

I'm sure you must have shared that tidbit before, but if so, I'd forgotten! It's a small - and very cool - world ...

Reaction Score
Wouldn't put all eggs in one bag. Walker will end up at Notre Dame. I'm glad we have Lexie committed. Muffit wants multiple titles so she's pushing to sign all the top talent. She always seems to go after the same kids we do and usually wins out!! Like I said success sometimes backfire. Recruits see UCONN as a downfall.... Man I'm sick of seeing them win every year... I want to go to a program follow some other top players and Take them down... Recruiting approach. Just saying it's not like we have been on a recruiting tear. Seems we lose out on the kids we go after. Ya we signed collier samuluson Boykin left. But we bring in only one all American in danger field. Like I said its UCONN ... U would think all Americans would be flocking to play for the best coach ever and best program ever but just haven't seen it. Recruiting is going to be very difficult for UCONN in the next couple of years.

Reaction Score
Not a rant just speaking the obvious u have to admit we have lost more recruits then we got. Look at Baylor Notre dame Maryland South Carolina Ohio state Texas multiple all Americans. To compete signing one or two kids a recruiting class isn't going to cut it. Just think Lou gets hurt we played 6 in the final until we had the game at reach. Yes sometimes to much depth leads to transfers I just don't understand why the other top programs seem to do better lately at recruiting. If u are a all American why wouldn't u want to play for the best? Maybe I don't understand the recruiting process. But then again it's not my job to worry about it. I will just rant... lol

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We have always lost more than we got, as does every other recruiting program for every other school and every other sport - sometimes you get a Maya Moore and some times you do not. But if you look at the history of the uconn program in the 21st century - we have definitely gotten more of the really 'great' players than any other school (and done more with them!)
Much better to worry about who we do get, and not worry about who we didn't get.

Reaction Score
Is Ionescu being looked at by Geno as a late choice?
She looked really good in the McDonalds AA game!

Reaction Score
Wouldn't put all eggs in one bag. Walker will end up at Notre Dame. I'm glad we have Lexie committed. Muffit wants multiple titles so she's pushing to sign all the top talent. She always seems to go after the same kids we do and usually wins out!! Like I said success sometimes backfire. Recruits see UCONN as a downfall.... Man I'm sick of seeing them win every year... I want to go to a program follow some other top players and Take them down... Recruiting approach. Just saying it's not like we have been on a recruiting tear. Seems we lose out on the kids we go after. Ya we signed collier samuluson Boykin left. But we bring in only one all American in danger field. Like I said its UCONN ... U would think all Americans would be flocking to play for the best coach ever and best program ever but just haven't seen it. Recruiting is going to be very difficult for UCONN in the next couple of years.

People keep saying she will end up at Notre Dame. But they don't even know that for sure. If she does she does. But let her make that choice first.

Because you just might be suprise if she don't

Reaction Score
Is Ionescu being looked at by Geno as a late choice?
She looked really good in the McDonalds AA game!

I doubt it. She'll play good wherever she goes on the west coast. Long shot to a NC though.

I wished he pursued her harder....don't know for sure if he did or not.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
mikeR - pretty sure Geno signed 3 "All Americans" in 2015 class ( 3 person class ) . 1 already proved not to be right fit

He signed 1 in 2016. he happens to be High on Irwin ( as am I ) and Bent for what HE requires, looks for
pretty sure Geno has earned benefit of doubt with evaluating AND putting Quality teams together.
Not all "All Americans" pan out / live up to hype... and plenty aren not "Winners " , championship material

Dean Smith & Coach K have long had teams with a few All Americans ... then a complement of varying role players
( pretty fair Coaches )

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
RSHERMVIKES - No ! Sabrina has wanted to stay on west coast & help a program that hasn't won... for a while

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I doubt it. She'll play good wherever she goes on the west coast. Long shot to a NC though.

I wished he pursued her harder....don't know for sure if he did or not.

It wasn't a question of pursuing her harder. She didn't want to play for UConn and she made that clear. Geno is a busy guy and doesn't like to waste his time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Carnac...Ahem, it's me Ed! You are to supply the answer and then open the envelope containing the question. ;) You been drinking tonight? :D

I packed the turban, cape and all of my other "tools of the trade" away this morning until the fall. I shot my wad this weekend, and I was correct on ALL of my predictions for both games, thank you. Not only that, but I can't see that far ahead. Come to think of it, It does seem kind of odd, a guy that's suppose to be able to fore tell future events, asking for help. :eek:

Reaction Score
Not a rant just speaking the obvious u have to admit we have lost more recruits then we got. Look at Baylor Notre dame Maryland South Carolina Ohio state Texas multiple all Americans. To compete signing one or two kids a recruiting class isn't going to cut it. Just think Lou gets hurt we played 6 in the final until we had the game at reach. Yes sometimes to much depth leads to transfers I just don't understand why the other top programs seem to do better lately at recruiting. If u are a all American why wouldn't u want to play for the best? Maybe I don't understand the recruiting process. But then again it's not my job to worry about it. I will just rant... lol
Not all of the top talent ticks all the boxes on Geno's checklist. He's right: it's getting harder and harder to find the kids that meet his requirements. Geno has won 11 titles, so I think he knows what he's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom