Maryland to Big10 Getting Some Legs | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Maryland to Big10 Getting Some Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I love these nights when the air raid siren goes off and we all huddle in the shelter. Ready the signal flares.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
And Florida State and NC State are Ivy League caliber?

Is that really it? Good, if so.
NC State isn't far behind us in terms of academic reputation. FSU is a bit further back but still a legitimate tier school. The ACC would never add a tier 3 school. WVU was very intriguing to the ACC and a slighter higher rated school than UL with far better research and a number of Rhodes Scholars to their credit and they weren't viewd as ACC material due to academics.

The thing is, for the ACC (unless they are willing to look at Tulane) we are the only realistic candidate. This could be a double edged sword as we'll only be considered if we are needed to give them an even number of football schools. Our nightmare scenario has the ACC also losing their other member who voted against the $50mm exit fee. If realignment brings the ACC back to twelve we are screwed.

Reaction Score
Maybe the basketball nirvana happens after FSU and clemson leave too. Might as well add Kansas then. And as long as we're throwing crap at the wall, Indiana.

If Maryland leaves, then FSU and Clemson will be leaving.

ACC will have 3 spots to fill.

Reaction Score
If Maryland leaves, then FSU and Clemson will be leaving.

ACC will have 3 spots to fill.

This is my belief as well. If the Big 12 is forced to expand they are going to go after blue chip targets like this and Maryland leaving for a bigger payday is going grease the skids for FSU and Clemson. Then UCONN, Louisville and either UCF, USF, Temple, or Cincy will be on their way to the ACC.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Georgia Tech & Tulane.

You forgot the University of the South. I guess I meant the modern-day SEC. It's been a half-century since anyone has defected.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
You forgot the University of the South. I guess I meant the modern-day SEC.
GT & Tulane were both within my lifetime.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
GT & Tulane were both within my lifetime.

Technically, I was wrong. 50 years ago, 3 teams left. My point still stands. The SEC hasn't lost a member since 1966.

Reaction Score
*How* Maryland exits is critical in determining the extent of the ACC exodus.

If Maryland successfully challenges and reduces the exit fee, then, indeed, I would see :
Florida State, Clemson to Big XII (soon, certainty)
Virginia, North Carolina to B1G (eventually)
Virginia Tech, North Carolina State to SEC (eventually, in tandem with above)
Georgia Tech, Miami to Big XII (possibly)

If Maryland simply uses Under Armour money to pay $50M exit fee in full, then I would see:
No more defections from ACC in near term.

Reaction Score
There's good news and bad news.

The good news? A spot will soon open up for us in the ACC.

The bad news? The ACC will be composed of Wake Forest, Duke, Boston College, and us.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

If Maryland successfully challenges and reduces the exit fee, then, indeed, I would see :

If Maryland simply uses Under Armour money to pay $50M exit fee in full, then I would see:
My non-legal, non-expert, poorly educated guess is : no way in hell $50 mil changes hands. I'd be shocked if it was half that, actually.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

I'm not sure that a school that voted in favor of the increase would have much of a case in challenging it. FSU and Maryland (by voting against it) are in far different shoes than any other ACC school.

Reaction Score
You forgot the University of the South. I guess I meant the modern-day SEC. It's been a half-century since anyone has defected.
I mentioned all three. Did my post go missing?

Reaction Score
Good lord can we atleast get into the ACC first before it falls apart. Doesn't the mass chaos surrounding us in the BE suffice without having to look into the future and think of more doomsday?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I mentioned all three. Did my post go missing?

No, I missed your post! It seems you missed my point, though, so we're even.

Reaction Score
Great post, same thinking. I would suspect ACC is firm with fee given they don't want to set a precedence. So would suspect Maryland-Plank have already worked this out via some sort of expanded marketing/licensing arrangement.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that a school that voted in favor of the increase would have much of a case in challenging it. FSU and Maryland (by voting against it) are in far different shoes than any other ACC school.
You raise a good point there.

Of course a similar precedent is right with WVU and the Big East. WVU orchestrated the 27-month rule, yet was the first to challenge it -- and beat it -- by paying more money. Now, I don't think anyone in the Big East is concerned about the 27-month rule, but they know they owe more than the "standard" exit fee.

(However, when you are challenging a fee to reduce a fee -- and if you voted for it -- I am not sure how that would go. Time for the lawyers to chime in.)

Reaction Score
There's good news and bad news.

The good news? A spot will soon open up for us in the ACC.

The bad news? The ACC will be composed of Wake Forest, Duke, Boston College, and us.
And Pitt, Syracuse and Notre Dame. (Scratches head.) That certainly would be a lot of slots to fill. Possibilities: UCF, USF, um...I can't think of anyone else. ODU?

Reaction Score
Not really sure why people think Maryland leaving would destabilize the entire conference. If the ACC replaced Maryland with UConn, do you think anyone would notice?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Not really sure why people think Maryland leaving would destabilize the entire conference. If the ACC replaced Maryland with UConn, do you think anyone would notice?

You should go on the Florida State Rivals page (I think it's called "Warchant"). They are all going bonkers, clamoring to leave their conference! It reminds me of another college fan site....;)

Reaction Score
Why oh why would the B1G possibly choose Rutgers over UConn?

The contiguous state clause perhaps. That's the only reason I can think of. Rutgers is dead weight the second they join the Big 10. They won't be able compete in football or basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom