Maryland to Big10 Getting Some Legs | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Maryland to Big10 Getting Some Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's probably not that simple. ESPN might see it as purchasing a number of games. It boils down to less games and they need to plug the hole with something.

Look, if they didn't want 14 then why did they go to 14 in the first place?

Yeah maybe it's not that simple. But if say UConn or Rutgers or Louisville or USF wasn't available - and they had to choose between schools clearly below that level like ECU or Memphis or Temple would they still do it?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think one of the details of the new BCS plan is that the major conferences are getting their shares based on numbers of teams. And certainly TV money goes up as you add teams.

From the bowl payments? I was under the impression that the ACC office specifically was funded with an equal share that each school gets. Maybe that is changing, but I don't see the connection to the BCS/Playoff.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I can see 4 leagues with 16 teams - it's not that simple though.

I agree, it certainly wouldn't be that simple. There are going to be a fair amount of decent football schools on the outside looking in, and I'm not sure that the BYU's of the world make the cut if they were to continue to play hard ball. Here's how I look at it:

Big10, Pac12, Big12, SEC are the four "controlling" conferences. They currently have 46 combined members. If they were to go to a combined 64 schools (16 each), then that means there are 18 slots left. Without going into who goes where, here are what I believe to be the viable candidates for the final 64:

Big East: UConn, Rutgers, Louisville, Boise, Cincy, USF. (Cincy, USF are on the outside looking in, and I don't think SDSU goes anywhere and UCF is a real stretch also)
ACC: Pitt, Fla St., Clem, Miami, NCState, Ga Tech, UNC, Va Tech, UVA, Maryland, Syracuse, BC (Syracuse, BC on the outside looking in, and I really feel that Duke football will cost Duke a seat at the table in the end despite this little "uptick").
Independent: ND, BYU (BYU could cost themselves, and Navy is well on the outside)
MAC, Sunbelt, C-USA, current WAC, MW: none

I've listed 20 teams for 18 spots, and that was with the exclusion of Duke, who's olympic sports and academic reputation may be enough to save them. Yikes...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I can see 4 leagues with 16 teams - it's not that simple though. The people who run the schools do care about the appearance of being concerned with academics. The PAC-12's geography makes it tough for them to get to 16. As long as Texas isn't interested in joining there aren't schools for them to add. The Big 12 can't even find two suitable teams to get to 12 yet - maybe Maryland's departure changes the stance of Florida State - but I really don't see why.
the md leaving will blow up in court with that buyout. the acc will revote it and it will have a start date to it. the b12 will tear apart the acc before that start date so schools get out before the $ is a issue.

As for some of your suggestions, I don't see why the Big 10 would want UConn without Rutgers. They would seem to be more valuable together than separate. Throw in the fact it looks like at least Maryland and either Georgia Tech or Rutgers is getting them to 14 this week. UNC is the king of the ACC. Trying to get them to leave is asking the Queen of England to depart for Spain for a few million dollars but instead of Queen it's to be a commoner. I don't see UNC going anywhere unless there were mass departures from the ACC and they had to make a move to survive.
i included md and ruty in the b10 already so they go from 14-18 in my thing. sorry i didn't make that clear at any point, my bad. unc will leave the acc only when flames are starting, thats in my head 2015 when nd is looking to the b10 to join and they need 1 more for 18. unc gets way to many benefits on being #18 not to do so. plaing fball in the sec would be great for unc, but there are 10 other things that rival the fball thing. unc to the b10 makes a lot of sense and fball is in a b4 conf anyway so all is well. bball joins the best bbal conf to boot.

Not sure why the SEC would want the secondary team from Florida and South Carolina. VPI and NCSU make sense in theory - and certainly there are people in both fanbases who think they should band together. I think that ignores the politics of a move - it isn't all that easy for NCSU or VPI to do things that would harm UNC and UVA.
becuase they dont want the b12 to have a good foothold in there territory. the sec struck with atm to the heart of the b12, the b12 will try to strike back. the sec can swallow some pride and block that. which is worse? the b12 having a fsu-fl rival on eaul footing or the sec coming to senses and inviting fsu and keeping the b12 out. fsu and fl play anyway so its not a issue. miami is flaming out but still a worthy add for b12. they dont give the b12 near enough to have a fighting chance in fl. usf as well makes them #2 to sec all day and its never a question. the best they can do is try to invest a north vs south fl thing. the 2 big boys up north still run train. usc is the same deal blocking the b12. the b12 is going to get some southern teams no doubt, but if they can't grab any big boys then they will not be of huge competition to the sec. taking the best 2 of the group in fsu and clem hurt the b12s idea of having a footprint that matters vs just having a footprint. uva-vt and unc-ncst def do have major politics involved, thats why i think the b10 and sec are working together to burn the acc down in time. just imagine both agreeing to grab 2 each and helping the politics side take the easy sit back aproach to everything being ok.

BYU could join a league whenever they want. They care more about pushing their religion internationally than they do what conference they are in. The rest of the Pac 12 schools are never going to accept Boise or San Diego State or UNLV as full members. Hawaii is a nightmare - they bring nothing and add a ton in travel costs. No market, games are in the middle of the night, no one can recruit there.
Davis? UC-Davis playing Pac 12 football and basketball?
byu will notice like nd very soon that there is no way to be indy, they will go to the pac. its a combo of byu accepting the fact that they need to join something and the pac not seeing a better add west of texas ever againa nd jumping on it. this will happen one day and byu will take 1-3 teams with it in a sweeping add for the league. the pac schools will not have a choice when it comes down to it. sdsu, unr types are building and quick. down the road they will fit it but right now its potential and if u see it or not. hawaii is a potential, but the pac commmish has hinted at china tv stuff. getting hawaii is a major point to that as the tv times help a lot of invertory for china thoughts on tv...uc davis is like utsa in texas. the school that could be the monster just born.

Reaction Score
Yeah maybe it's not that simple. But if say UConn or Rutgers or Louisville or USF wasn't available - and they had to choose between schools clearly below that level like ECU or Memphis or Temple would they still do it?

I was going to say that. But I am glad you did. In that case, I can see them taking a wait and see approach.

This might be the only time the ACC can get raided and expect to replenish immediately with schools that are on par with present standards. I am not sure USF, UCF, Louisville and Cincy are appealing to them as it is.

That is a goo point though. If the ACC loses two and Rutgers isn't available, we might be in a bind.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Dan when you say things like BYU to the PAC 12 do you realize that schools like BYU and California are complete polar opposites? It's like asking Limbaugh and Maddow to start a radio show together. BYU will have to decide at what level they want to play football. If they decide they want to join a conference and have access it won't be the Pac-12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Dan when you say things like BYU to the PAC 12 do you realize that schools like BYU and California are complete polar opposites? It's like asking Limbaugh and Maddow to start a radio show together. BYU will have to decide at what level they want to play football. If they decide they want to join a conference and have access it won't be the Pac-12.

There is a huge Mormon population in southern California. BYU's problems reside with its administration. It is their call how relevant they want their athletic program to be. In speaking with Alums, they will tolerate two years like this before they will start getting pretty upset. I don't see how BYU recruits as an independent.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

its not a great marriage i know, but its whats best for both. they will figure it out eventually. do vandy and mis st make sense together? how about tcu and iowa st?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
its not a great marriage i know, but its whats best for both. they will figure it out eventually. do vandy and mis st make sense together? how about tcu and iowa st?

Ignore it if you like - it's not happening ever.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is a huge Mormon population in southern California. BYU's problems reside with its administration. It is their call how relevant they want their athletic program to be. In speaking with Alums, they will tolerate two years like this before they will start getting pretty upset. I don't see how BYU recruits as an independent.

For someone who gets into drag out brawls in the cesspool this should seem obvious to you. You are talking about schools like California and Stanford bringing BYU to their table allowing them a huge financial windfall. Cats and dogs have more in common than Berkeley and BYU.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
For someone who gets into drag out brawls in the cesspool this should seem obvious to you. You are talking about schools like California and Stanford bringing BYU to their table allowing them a huge financial windfall. Cats and dogs have more in common than Berkeley and BYU.

I have a good friend who is a BYU booster. You can imagine his politics, and you just have to look at the cesspool to know mine. Sports are sports. Utah and BYU are very similar demographically. Utah is just a stupider, less needy, version of BYU. The state does not have a lot of diversity.

Reaction Score
UConn is going to get the call.

The ACC would be crazy not to do it ASAP.

They risk way too much with potential threats from the SEC, Big12 and Big10. Although the chances are pretty low than anyone other than FSU is leaving, does the ACC risk losing say VT and FSU? Does it risk the Big10 (for some crazy reason) taking UConn?

If FSU and VT go, bringing them to 11 football schools, and UConn is gone, then the ACC is hurting. They are almost forced to take UConn now.

Reaction Score
I have a good friend who is a BYU booster. You can imagine his politics, and you just have to look at the cesspool to know mine. Sports are sports. Utah and BYU are very similar demographically. Utah is just a stupider, less needy, version of BYU. The state does not have a lot of diversity.

That's hard to believe, what you say about Utah. I don't believe it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I find it difficult to believe he has a good friend.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Right but Utah doesn't wear it on their sleeve like BYU does. If I'm wrong in the end that's fine. BYU will end up in the Big 12. Why would the Pac 12 double down on Utah and deal with those politics at same time.

Reaction Score
GT is a southern school, the B1G is not and does not want to be a southern league. MD or VA would be pushing the limits, GA would be too far.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn is going to get the call.

The ACC would be crazy not to do it ASAP.

They risk way too much with potential threats from the SEC, Big12 and Big10. Although the chances are pretty low than anyone other than FSU is leaving, does the ACC risk losing say VT and FSU? Does it risk the Big10 (for some crazy reason) taking UConn?

If FSU and VT go, bringing them to 11 football schools, and UConn is gone, then the ACC is hurting. They are almost forced to take UConn now.

UConn doesn't protect the ACC from anything. It's not like VPI and FSU stay because UConn joined and it's not like UConn wouldn't join if they left.

Reaction Score
GT is a southern school, the B1G is not and does not want to be a southern league. MD or VA would be pushing the limits, GA would be too far.
If what you are saying is true, we should have a good shot at ending up in the B1G. Texas has been mentioned before as a B1G expansion candidate.

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't protect the ACC from anything. It's not like VPI and FSU stay because UConn joined and it's not like UConn wouldn't join if they left.

I never said FSU would stay. I said if and when another couple teams leave, the ACC is under the magic number of 12. If the Big 10 has any other intentions on the East Coast and goes after UConn, this would effectively checkmate the ACC completely.

Reaction Score

Limbaugh and Maddow would happily do a radio show together. If the money is good enough.

Unfortunately, whether the money is good enough seems to be the only question being asked in realignment.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I never said FSU would stay. I said if and when another couple teams leave, the ACC is under the magic number of 12. If the Big 10 has any other intentions on the East Coast and goes after UConn, this would effectively checkmate the ACC completely.
And if I were the B10 I would consider this option.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Limbaugh and Maddow would happily do a radio show together. If the money is good enough.

Unfortunately, whether the money is good enough seems to be the only question being asked in realignment.

True, the difference here being that Maddow already has the show and the money and would have to allow Limbaugh to come share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom