Maryland to Big10 Getting Some Legs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maryland to Big10 Getting Some Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Breathe Dan, breathe.

Thank God we have a medic here!! Tell me it's going to work out for UConn. Tell me it's all going to be okay... :confused:

It's okay - just talk to Elmo.

katyperry8.gif

Reaction Score
Perhaps you should do what you do best. Continue posting like nothing is in dire straight for our University. Continue misreading sarcasm and by all means continue pleading ignorance to obvious points posters are making.

He did not once say that we are not in dire straights. He didn't say anything like that.

He did imply you are an idiot for a need to personify a problem in a new leader who can't do anything but try, but that is a totally different point.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
(you guys may want to turn on your sarcasm meters before reading)

Hey guys if Rutgers goes to the B10 I'm sure Louisville will really commit to staying put and won't go to the Big 12. So UConn should just go ahead and pre-emptively tell the ACC we're not interested because their football sucks, even though it doesn't suck as bad as our conference, or something, though the real reason would be we are still holding a grudge from when BC dumped us (despite the fact that DeFillipo is no longer there). What better way to stick it to those ACC types than by staying in the *ty, *ty Big East for 30 years while we wait for UTEP and Reno to develop their programs and brands into top the top 40?

/sarcasm off

UConn should be calling both the ACC, but also really working the phones to the Big Ten really hard. Maybe we already have an answer that the Rent is too small or whatever but if we can get a better idea of what it would take that would give Herbst some concrete goals for the next ten years in case we don't get an ACC invite.

Reaction Score
I forgot, Herbst is a sacred cow around here for talking a big game and so far not getting the end result. The ACC could invite USF and Florida Atlantic over us and people will still think the folks in Storrs are doing a heckuva a job.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Still waiting on your laundry list of what you think the administration specifically should have done or should do. I suspect I'll be waiting a long time...

Reaction Score
IF UConn is asked to replace MD, there is ZERO excuse to not fire PP and his staff immediately. Even after the buyout clause, the $$ is enough to actually hire a competent staff

Reaction Score
This makes the path clear as to what we would like to happen. Despite their lack of control over the situation this will reflect on the president and the AD. I don't see ND as a full member so the ball is in the ACC's court to decide how best to protect the conference. They'd be negligent imho not to start talking to prospective replacements.

Reaction Score
IF UConn is asked to replace MD, there is ZERO excuse to not fire PP and his staff immediately. Even after the buyout clause, the $$ is enough to actually hire a competent staff

Imagine if its our poor recent football form that causes the ACC to choose UL over us. PP will have singlehandedly destroyed our athletic department. LOL!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Imagine if its our poor recent football form that causes the ACC to choose UL over us. PP will have singlehandedly destroyed our athletic department. LOL!
HAHAHAHAkillmenow...

Reaction Score
My dream scenario is that ND does a U-turn and decides to join teh B1G instead and we get the 16th invite to the B1G. With PSU, UMD and RU we'll have some great regional rivals and be in a stable conference.

Problem with ACC post UMD is it starts becoming as unstable as the Big East

Reaction Score
Still waiting on your laundry list of what you think the administration specifically should have done or should do. I suspect I'll be waiting a long time...

Let's the folks earning the big bucks up in Storrs answer that. They first might want to try convincing some of these leagues eyeing expansion that we bring more value than a Pitt or Rutgers which we of course...DO. They have clearly failed in trying to overcome our overall value in the eyes of these leagues in relation to the youth of the football program.

Reaction Score
They will immediately try and get ND as a full member, so we have to hope they reject that and seek another team.

Reaction Score
There is a 0% chance Louisville gets an ACC invite - it's Big 12 or bust for them, just like it's ACC or bust for UConn.

This is from Wetzel's recent column (I hate the , but he's pretty connected):
If the league were to attempt to replace Maryland, the most obvious and, perhaps only, expansion target would be the University of Connecticut. It is by far the most attractive candidate left on the East Coast. About the only other schools that could be on the radar are Central Florida and South Florida, and neither is realistic, according to at least one ACC source.

Either the ACC stays at 14 for basketball and 13 for football for the time being, or they invite UConn to even out the number of football schools (in which case, they might invite a bball only like Georgetown as well).

Reaction Score
This is not a laughing matter. No lol-ing allowed!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
. I don't see ND as a full member so the ball is in the ACC's court to decide how best to protect the conference. They'd be negligent imho not to start talking to prospective replacements.

If Rutgers goes to the Big10, then I would argue that the ACC has already shown themselves to be negligent in my opinion. They had a real chance to put a wall around NYC. They have Syracuse, and with Rutgers and UConn, they would have had the tri-state area (especially with ND as an olympic sports member). Even though none of us like to admit it, losing Rutgers does lose a nice piece of NYC college market, especially if it goes to the Big10, where they will be able to see Penn State, OSU, etc. They may have just missed out on something bigger...

Reaction Score
My dream scenario is that ND does a U-turn and decides to join teh B1G instead and we get the 16th invite to the B1G. With PSU, UMD and RU we'll have some great regional rivals and be in a stable conference.

Problem with ACC post UMD is it starts becoming as unstable as the Big East

Actually, it becomes tbe Big East 4.0

Reaction Score
This is not a laughing matter. No lol-ing allowed!

I am LOLing because I am certain in the long run (let's say by 2020) we will be in a conference situation we are happy with.

Reaction Score
If Rutgers goes to the Big10, then I would argue that the ACC has already shown themselves to be negligent in my opinion. They had a real chance to put a wall around NYC. They have Syracuse, and with Rutgers and UConn, they would have had the tri-state area (especially with ND as an olympic sports member). Even though none of us like to admit it, losing Rutgers does lose a nice piece of NYC college market, especially if it goes to the Big10, where they will be able to see Penn State, OSU, etc. They may have just missed out on something bigger...

How can they wall off anything when an ACC member is leaving for the Big10? I don't understand why it would prevent Rutgers from leaving. Clearly, Maryland is unimpressed.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
There is a 0% chance Louisville gets an ACC invite - it's Big 12 or bust for them, just like it's ACC or bust for UConn.

This is from Wetzel's recent column (I hate the , but he's pretty connected):

Either the ACC stays at 14 for basketball and 13 for football for the time being, or they invite UConn to even out the number of football schools (in which case, they might invite a bball only like Georgetown as well).

Why is it B12 or bust for them? That's not rhetorical. I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff. I don't understand why they, like us, wouldn't take the first thing that was offered? I mean, I guess if they get an ACC invite they can use that as leverage, but worst case scenario is for the music to stop without you in a chair. From UConn's perspective, it's not ACC or bust -- even if the B10 is just a pipe dream. Is there no interest in Louisville on the part of the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom