Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Andre Jackson looked good again. Played within himself, took some good looks, and his passing was very good. I’m hoping he develops the finishing skills to be more of a scorer but he’s been playing pretty well recently.
I really feel like he's close. Come the end of the season he might really be something. He should get 6+ points a game grabbing boards, sprinting past people, and getting a layup/fouled

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Loved seeing those flashes on offense from Andre in the first half…no idea how those 3’s go in, but whatever works! I thought he showed more control dribbling in the open court today too, and when to ease off and protect the possession. One of his better defensive games as well. Very pleased with AJ tonight. Good win boys!!!

Reaction Score
First half was great. Second half. I thought the refs were awful. Shot selection awful. Cole and Martin awesome.

Reaction Score
Ajax disappeared in the 2nd half. Played like a pro in the first half.

Reaction Score
I really feel like he's close. Come the end of the season he might really be something. He should get 6+ points a game grabbing boards, sprinting past people, and getting a layup/fouled
Yeah, it’s not like he’s a bad ball handler, he just doesn’t really seem to know how to create his own shot. That can be taught and would make him incredibly dangerous.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
When we shoot even mediocre from 3 we win because it opens up the rest of the court. That trend continued tonight

Reaction Score
Martin played big boy ball tonight. Taking it to the rim strong, making open shots and free throws. We wouldn’t have won tonight without him with how bad our post players played… proud of him.

The post play… yikes on both sides of the ball…. Defensive player of the year Whaley got absolutely abused by Lewis all game and Sanogo was a no-show (to be expected). Akok hit a few 3s but got abused on D as well like Whaley.

Cole gave us his usual great effort.

Ajax played a reasonably good game aside for some defensive lapses and couple of shot-put shots.

Polley and Gaffney… what else is there to say at this point that hasn’t already been said. Everyone can see it except Hurley apparently.

Coaching - Hurley let them back in the game again at the 10 min mark sitting Cole and Martin for Gaffney and Polley. We were up 10 and by the time he put them back in we were up 2. We can’t have Cole and Martin sit at the same time ever unless we’re blowing a team out. Also it took until 2 min left in the game for him to figure out that Whaley couldn’t handle Lewis 1 on 1 and to double and when we finally did we shut him down the last few possessions.

Ugly win against a short handed team on the road but we’ll take it. On to Xavier.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When we shoot even mediocre from 3 we win because it opens up the rest of the court. That trend continued tonight
It was not a clinic on basketball playing but I will take a Win when offered.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This team isn’t great yet. It’s just a good team.

Any road Big East game will be tough, there aren’t many teams you’re blowing out in this league besides Georgetown.

Reaction Score
I’m glad we won. That said.

There is no excuse for playing Polley and Gaffney as much anymore. Gaffney is lost and turns the ball over on the offensive end, and fouls on the defensive end. Polley is an absolute defensive liability and gives nothing to the team besides streaky shooting (streaky is generous). We have to figure out a way to get Hawkins going. Also, I love Whaley but he has a limited ceiling and has literally gotten worse at basketball and I would rather Akok and Johnson get some of his minutes. If he isn’t a back to the basket big, he doesn’t help us offensively.

Defensively, Hurley needs to STOP hard hedging screens. It doesn’t create turnovers and then the opposing big slips and we rotate leaving weak side three point shooting WIDE OPEN.

Adama needs to pass out of the post. He didn’t a single time tonight. Had multiple turnovers and several shots that didn’t have a chance.

For a team so long, we get nothing at the rim. Did we dunk at all this game?

Also given the Hurley quote this week about age, the Marquette fresh and sophs certainly gave UConn everything we could handle. Thank god Darryl Morsell was out. We have such a long way to go.
Absurd. Polley and Gaffney will continue to play significant minutes. And nailing them to the pine would be coaching malfeasance.

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
Wonder if we will still run this 9 man rotation out there moving forward. Part of me thinks yes but I don’t know who’s minutes would be cut. Can’t sit Gaff bc we need another ball handler off the bench…maybe Polley if his shot doesn’t come around and defense isn’t there? I thought I read somewhere here Hurley wanted to condense it down to about 7.

Reaction Score
The reffing in this game was bizarre and something we’ve seen a couple this year. The first 10-12 minutes they basically just let them play through almost any contact. Then at some point it just switched and all of a sudden the most ticky tacky fouls are getting called. It seemed pretty consistently inconsistent between both teams but just odd to see it change that drastically.

Reaction Score
I have this idea that we need to save our coach bashing for post game rants when we loose.
Not when we win DESPITE our coach. Same issues tonight, we just overcame them. Focusing on results only is fools gold. Eventually if you don’t fix things they catch up to you.

Reaction Score
Wonder if we will still run this 9 man rotation out there moving forward. Part of me thinks yes but I don’t know who’s minutes would be cut. Can’t sit Gaff bc we need another ball handler off the bench…maybe Polley if his shot doesn’t come around and defense isn’t there? I thought I read somewhere here Hurley wanted to condense it down to about 7.
We can absolutely sit Gaff. In fact, we need to. We found our ball handles off a press- it’s Martin and Cole. They are just fine passing it off to a big on the other side of the court.

Nothing good happens when Gaff is in. Give Gaffs little minutes to Diggins.

Reaction Score
The reffing in this game was bizarre and something we’ve seen a couple this year. The first 10-12 minutes they basically just let them play through almost any contact. Then at some point it just switched and all of a sudden the most ticky tacky fouls are getting called. It seemed pretty consistently inconsistent between both teams but just odd to see it change that drastically.
It feels like they want to make sure no one fouls out/picks up fouls early on, then once it starts to matter they call fouls. Your classic mens league reffing philosophy when both teams only have 5 guys lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom