Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for Gaff hard. He's actually one of my favorite players. I'm not sure why, but he is.

Sadly, this was one of his better games against non-cupcakes. Hopefully he makes some strides in the coming games.

He's a spring semester guy. I'm confident
One of his better games???

I swear that sometimes after reading the comments on this board, I feel like I was in a twilight episode watching the game from an alternate universe. Gaffney's turnovers and Polley's bricks were TUMS grabbing moments.

Gaffney and Polley are serious liabilities right now. Hoping that they straighten out because we will need them in March.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Their bigs ran us over but Hurley did finally doubled down from time to time late in game.
Are you saying Hurley made an adjustment? That will come as quite a shock to many of the armchair coaches on this board. ;)

Reaction Score
My biggest observation relating to last nights game. This board is getting more insufferable every day. I should have known that if we didn’t play a perfect game many BYers would pick this team apart rather than celebrating a hard fought entertaining win. It reminded me of the old BE with lots of battles at the hoop. When there’s are more negative comments than positive ones after a conference road win I just have to smh. Xavier will be an even tougher test especially a since they just got beat.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The review of the basket vs shot clock was the most egregious take this year. Both announcers saying it didn’t look close, and the refs still gave it to MU. Followed with another bizarre offensive foul, but they gave Lewis any bullrush move he wanted.

Yes on the post players just driving their shoulder in to UConn defenders and it's either a no call or foul on UConn. It's a blatant offensive foul using the shoulder instead of thee arm to push off and create space. Others have said this in previous post game threads- if refs aren't going to call that on the post player the defender has no chance.
LO

Reaction Score
Much needed win, happy to see them close it out in the last 4 minutes there. Actually looked good breaking the press as well; shows how important that first pass after the inbounds is. Once that gets in, it’s usually beatable.

Few things I noticed: Andre Jackson having a bigger and bigger role on this team, his emergence is key. Definitely getting more comfortable and making better decisions when pushing the pace. Surprised they haven’t run that backside screen alley oop play from the top of the key for him yet. I don’t think they’ve run that action all season. We saw Bouknight hit on that at least 3-4 times in his career, wonder if they break that out next game.

Interior D needs to step up, especially against X. Cole is much more efficient when other guys are helping to share the load, much needed. Heard Hurley say it post game, this is the Cole we want. Not him jacking too too many shots. And last Gaff. Idk what to say, maybe it’s confidence or something else but he looks a bit lost out there. Shorts minutes tho at least. I’ll keep saying I’d like to see Diggins get a short run in a first half with a veteran line up around him just to see what he has, yank him if it’s that bad. Overal big win and restoring some confidence, bring on X!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We won a league game on the road. Nothing much to complain about. Sanogo was rusty as hell. Cole and Martin carried the team. Jackson and Akok had nice games. Whaley was abused down low. Really hoped we’d see Johnson to see how he’d handle it. Everyone raves about Whaley on D, but he has never been very good in post defense against strong players.

Reaction Score
Completely agree on the Pick-n-roll defense. If we do this against better teams we’ll get shredded.
Said this too as early as last year. Why doesn’t an opposing coach exploit the hard hedge with a pick-n-roll!? They certainly have scouting reports

Reaction Score
Akok's offense is really limited to spot-up 3's and the occasional alley-oop.

He can't take a guy off the dribble, post up, or finish through/around contact, e.g. on an offensive rebound. Same is true of Whaley, really. This is a large part of why our offense stagnates. Hopefully the guys we're bringing in next year are more well-rounded.

Really unfair to Whaley. He showed the second half of 19-20 that he could hit midrange jumpers and finish through contact. And hit foul shots. He was our third threat behind CV and Bouk coming down the stretch that year and was a consistent double digit scorer. He has been asked to play differently for the good of the team.

Reaction Score
I expect bad officiating. My question is why bother reviewing plays, like the ball still being in the shooter's hand with the shot clock expired, if you're still not going to get it right? Boggles the mind.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't have overturned the live call from that replay. The only thing that was clear was that before the ball left the area of his hand, the light had gone in. But I wasn't sure that the ball hadn't left his hand, but was still surrounded by a moment by his fingers, before the backboard lit up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We still need to better utilize the glass down low on offense.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I guess I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't have overturned the live call from that replay. The only thing that was clear was that before the ball left the area of his hand, the light had gone in. But I wasn't sure that the ball hadn't left his hand, but was still surrounded by a moment by his fingers, before the backboard lit up.
I thought his hand was still bent backward in the cradle position and he was starting the actual shooting motion/follow through. The video quality leaves something to be desired. There shouldn't be grainy gray area about a call.

Reaction Score
Said this too as early as last year. Why doesn’t an opposing coach exploit the hard hedge with a pick-n-roll!? They certainly have scouting reports
It can be tough to exploit at times, matchup depending. When it’s Whaley, he does a really good job of getting on the ball handler quickly and making the ball handler move backwards. He’s lightning quick with it, throws off the timing, often tipping the ball. UConn does a good job of scrambling on the backside too if Whaley doesn’t recover in time and teams have to work the ball around to get the open look which isn’t always easy. If the guard can keep the momentum off the screen, it can be there. Or split the hedge/defenders.

Reaction Score
I agree, I didn’t see anything conclusive either way in the video. Just not good enough quality.

Reaction Score
When the light on the backboard started to illuminate, the shooter's hand was approximately perpendicular to his arm. His wrist then flicked as the light was clearly on, and the ball launched from his hand. I grant you that no replay I saw definitively showed contact between the ball and the shooter after the light went on, but I can tell you the ball could not have accelerated as it did unless his hand was touching it after the shot clock expired.

Reaction Score
i think the issue is that the things he does well hes not doing very well over the last two games. We need him rebounding, blocking shots and defending. He has had his lunch handed to him in the last two games by opposing bigs. If that continues he may lose minutes to Akok who right now is a better one on one defender but gets lost on rotations at times which is keeping him from really taking his defense to an elite level.
I think Akok is a much more effective shotblocker off the ball. Whaley is much quicker and can handle someone closer to him. In any case, to have lineups playing without either guy in borders on malpractice. They are the only rim protectors in the rotation. They need to find ways to keep them near the basket too.

Reaction Score
It can be tough to exploit at times, matchup depending. When it’s Whaley, he does a really good job of getting on the ball handler quickly and making the ball handler move backwards. He’s lightning quick with it, throws off the timing, often tipping the ball. UConn does a good job of scrambling on the backside too if Whaley doesn’t recover in time and teams have to work the ball around to get the open look which isn’t always easy. If the guard can keep the momentum off the screen, it can be there. Or split the hedge/defenders.
Only IW can do it right.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

What I saw on replay was the backboard light went on but the clock showed 1. They didn’t seem to be in synch. So go with clock and call it good.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
watch the replay again. u know who was sitting right behind the play?
coach. and being an actual former baller, he is wholey familiar with the rhythm of the moment. u know what he did instinctively at that moment?
he waived it off. instantly. no head hurting deep doodoo analysis paralysis. iffn it could have been good, he wouldn't do the umpire 'safe at the plate' move that he did (meaning in this case, 'doesn't count'), emphatically. prolly would've done the two handed, thro both arms in a slap move, like, 'well, that stunk.'
on the udder hand, there's always sketchy calls in a game, and it's fun to look back and see if they got it right. guys fingers were still touching the ball when the clock expired. no hoop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom