Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Sanogo gained some serious weight in the last few weeks. I imagine with that injury he was told to just rest for most of the time.

Reaction Score
Cole has to be rested at some point during the game.
I would have like to see a clear out underneath or two for Gaffney when Kolek was on him. I know people are down on him but it looked like he could take him any time.
Sanogo needs more practice.
Akok was very solid again.

I'm tired of the shouldering by the other team. Refs have been awful all year at calling or I should say not calling it. Whaley, Gaff and Martin seem to get it the most. Whaley, the most however, gets penalized for being in position and being strong. He doesn't flop and the offensive player gets rewarded for it. Can't wait to see the Nova PG bull his way in on Cole and Gaff on almost every possession.

Reaction Score
AJax 37 min w 1PF with these refs is impressive. He had trouble staying in games last year. Hurley isn't playing Diggins but at least Gaffney only got 7 min and wasn't in the game down the stretch. In 7 minutes still got 2 turnovers and gave up a drive to the hoop and committed 3 PF. Nice pocket pass to Adama on the positive side. Gaffney can have a good game but when he doesn't, I'll give hurley credit for limiting minutes. Also Hurley pulled Adama when rust was clearly showing. Lewis got great position and outmuscled Whaley a bunch, but Whaley got some tough rebounds and loose balls. I don't think Whaley was giving up that low post position every time, it seemed like Lewis was frequently taking it while we were switching. I'll rewatch for that. We played hard. 12 turnovers vs Marquette is great, especially with 5 between Sanogo and Gaffney. That means only 7 Turnovers for all the guys that were playing a lot of minutes. I like AJ pushing the ball. RJ got out of the corner traps but we still passed there. Refs didn't have a good game. Counted the basket AFTER review, and I hated the call against Whaley when he was displaced, as well as the foul on Akok at the rim. Also bad calls here and there for us. Special thanks for the missed dunk and layup essentially back to back.

Reaction Score
Can't agree more with that. What does Hurley see that everyone I know doesn't?
Answer is pretty obvious. Hurley is loyal to the steaming pile of poor play that he trusts (compliments of Polley) over the steaming pile of poor play he doesn’t trust (compliments of Hawkins). By the way, Hawkins is 11 of 41 from the field in his last seven games. Other than a solid showing against Grambling, he hasn’t made his presence known on either side of the ball in the last month.

Reaction Score
You'd think we'd wear teams down with all the guys we have. We tend to wither away at the end of games. But yeah that Polley Gaffney conversation has been ongoing since last week. I don't see it changing.

Reaction Score
Hawkins is the x-factor for this team to take the next step. You’ve seen what he can do vs Auburn and in Newark but damn his confidence is just at zero most times during a game. He had flashes of aggressiveness tonight but they need to go back to creating some designed 3s for him early when he checks in like they did when he was starting. He needs more than 3 looks a game.

Enjoyed the energy Akok brought on the glass tonight but he looks lost on offense when he’s not taking a 3. Some weak finishes at the rim. I’d actually like to see him take some mid range shots, especially if a team goes zone vs us (I thought we handled the Marquette zone very well tonight for the few possessions they used it).

If Jackson can take that first half and extend it over a full game that will be massive. Baby steps but progress none the less. You can already see the improvement from Game 1 to now. Slowly but surely he’s becoming the player we know he can be…

Reaction Score
Absurd. Polley and Gaffney will continue to play significant minutes. And nailing them to the pine would be coaching malfeasance.
Please explain why. I need an explanation on what you're seeing that I'm not.

Reaction Score
UConn won a conference game on the road and covered. That's called a good game.
The team needed this. To bounce back and get a good 8 point win on the road, and playing well for most of the game should help their confidence a lot. In my opinion, I think confidence was an issue with the way some of these games have went. Tonight it seemed like things finally went right for them in a close game down the stretch.

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for Gaff hard. He's actually one of my favorite players. I'm not sure why, but he is.

Sadly, this was one of his better games against non-cupcakes. Hopefully he makes some strides in the coming games.

He's a spring semester guy. I'm confident
One of his better games? 7 mins, 1 assist, 2 points. Oof.

Reaction Score
You'd think we'd wear teams down with all the guys we have. We tend to wither away at the end of games. But yeah that Polley Gaffney conversation has been ongoing since last week. I don't see it changing.
Right now this team is 6 deep at best. Sanogo,Whaley, Ajax, Tmart, Cole and Akok with the possibility of Hawkins eventually becoming a solid contributor.

Reaction Score
I just wish in post game DH wouldn't say if we were at full strength in 3 loses we would have won those games. Should have won a couple of them regardless, and DH didn't help put them in win column.

So by that token Marquette was down one of their best, so we're the Bonnies...it's a stupid game to play, most games a team is down a player. Win the game or you lose, don't make excuses especially in games still should have won.

I like DH just annoys me always talking about past, like the stupid 45 min thing from end of last year our rallying cry this year....freshman have no idea what you're talking about. Just put crap behind you and move on to next opponent.

Anyway....nice road win guys!

Reaction Score
One of his better games? 7 mins, 1 assist, 2 points. Oof.
He played slightly better when he was in. The bar is low. Anyways, I'm sticking to my theory. He's a spring semester guy.

Reaction Score
We need to find a solution to resting Cole. The offense just comes to a complete stop when he's out. Though I do have to be fair, Jalen Gaffney made the most important play of the game when he committed a foul on the rebound to get Cole back in the game for him

Reaction Score
He played slightly better when he was in. The bar is low. Anyways, I'm sticking to my theory. He's a spring semester guy.
If by slightly better you mean, didn’t do anything bad, then okay (he had a TO). I want Diggins to get those 7 minutes. It will be better that way.

Reaction Score
Cole has to be rested at some point during the game.
I would have like to see a clear out underneath or two for Gaffney when Kolek was on him. I know people are down on him but it looked like he could take him any time.
Sanogo needs more practice.
Akok was very solid again.

I'm tired of the shouldering by the other team. Refs have been awful all year at calling or I should say not calling it. Whaley, Gaff and Martin seem to get it the most. Whaley, the most however, gets penalized for being in position and being strong. He doesn't flop and the offensive player gets rewarded for it. Can't wait to see the Nova PG bull his way in on Cole and Gaff on almost every possession.
We don’t sell the fouls as well as we have in years past. But agree it’s ridiculous. They need to start calling it.

Reaction Score
If by slightly better you mean, didn’t do anything bad, then okay (he had a TO). I want Diggins to get those 7 minutes. It will be better that way.
His pts/min went way up.

Agree on Diggins. But that doesn't appear to be happening. I'm recognizing reality as it stands now and rooting for my squad.

Let's go Spring Semester Gaff!

Reaction Score
Right now this team is 6 deep at best. Sanogo,Whaley, Ajax, Tmart, Cole and Akok with the possibility of Hawkins eventually becoming a solid contributor.
And that’s not a bad thing! Although we definitely need Hawkins to become a contributor.

Sometimes it’s better to cut the fat, then stay large. Like Apple did when Steve Jobs came back to the helm. Cut out what wasn’t needed, simplified, won.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
As in didn’t lose us the game? OK. But his play was atrocious otherwise (sans a pass).

Reaction Score
And that’s not a bad thing! Although we definitely need Hawkins to become a contributor.

Sometimes it’s better to cut the fat, then stay large. Like Apple did when Steve Jobs came back to the helm. Cut out what wasn’t needed, simplified, won.
Yup. Wasnt saying it was a bad thing was just pointing to who is actually contributing and should play as much as possible instead of playing guys that are literally doing nothing but hurting the team.

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for Gaff hard. He's actually one of my favorite players. I'm not sure why, but he is.

Sadly, this was one of his better games against non-cupcakes. Hopefully he makes some strides in the coming games.

He's a spring semester guy. I'm confident
You thought this was one of his better games?? Yikes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom