Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Yup. Wasnt saying it was a bad thing was just pointing to who is actually contributing and should play as much as possible instead of playing guys that are literally doing nothing but hurting the team.
With you- some on here will actually argue for more minutes for Gaff though, which at this point is preposterous.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
With you- some on here will actually argue for more minutes for Gaff though, which at this point is preposterous.
give him more minutes. we have as much as two and a half years moar to watch ol jmoney run the floor. sweet.

Reaction Score
The reffing in this game was bizarre and something we’ve seen a couple this year. The first 10-12 minutes they basically just let them play through almost any contact. Then at some point it just switched and all of a sudden the most ticky tacky fouls are getting called. It seemed pretty consistently inconsistent between both teams but just odd to see it change that drastically.
The review of the basket vs shot clock was the most egregious take this year. Both announcers saying it didn’t look close, and the refs still gave it to MU. Followed with another bizarre offensive foul, but they gave Lewis any bullrush move he wanted.

Reaction Score
I’m glad we won. That said.

There is no excuse for playing Polley and Gaffney as much anymore. Gaffney is lost and turns the ball over on the offensive end, and fouls on the defensive end. Polley is an absolute defensive liability and gives nothing to the team besides streaky shooting (streaky is generous). We have to figure out a way to get Hawkins going. Also, I love Whaley but he has a limited ceiling and has literally gotten worse at basketball and I would rather Akok and Johnson get some of his minutes. If he isn’t a back to the basket big, he doesn’t help us offensively.

Defensively, Hurley needs to STOP hard hedging screens. It doesn’t create turnovers and then the opposing big slips and we rotate leaving weak side three point shooting WIDE OPEN.

Adama needs to pass out of the post. He didn’t a single time tonight. Had multiple turnovers and several shots that didn’t have a chance.

For a team so long, we get nothing at the rim. Did we dunk at all this game?

Also given the Hurley quote this week about age, the Marquette fresh and sophs certainly gave UConn everything we could handle. Thank god Darryl Morsell was out. We have such a long way to go.
How has Whaley gotten worse? The guy is an awesome ROLE player who does everything that team needs to win games. What exactly are you looking for from him? He’s reliable, patient, always looking to get the offense going, doesn’t ever get the ball taken from him, can pass (back door pass to Cole), and hit a big midrange jumper late in the game. Most importantly he knows his role.

Reaction Score
How has Whaley gotten worse? The guy is an awesome ROLE player who does everything that team needs to win games. What exactly are you looking for from him? He’s reliable, patient, always looking to get the offense going, doesn’t ever get the ball taken from him, can pass (back door pass to Cole), and hit a big midrange jumper late in the game. Most importantly he knows his role.
i think the issue is that the things he does well hes not doing very well over the last two games. We need him rebounding, blocking shots and defending. He has had his lunch handed to him in the last two games by opposing bigs. If that continues he may lose minutes to Akok who right now is a better one on one defender but gets lost on rotations at times which is keeping him from really taking his defense to an elite level.

Reaction Score
The review of the basket vs shot clock was the most egregious take this year. Both announcers saying it didn’t look close, and the refs still gave it to MU. Followed with another bizarre offensive foul, but they gave Lewis any bullrush move he wanted.
I forget which game, but there was an out of bounds review that was WAY more egregious than that. We also got a lot of calls and no calls go our way as well. If the refs are going to be bad, at least they seemed pretty uniformly bad and didn’t really lean one way.

Reaction Score
Win on the road in the BE is a win. Some good things, some bad things. Will think about them more later on but work to do. Baby steps for now next is Xavier who laid an egg 2nd half versus Nova. They will be needy.

Enjoy your day 10-3 for now, baby steps! Lol

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Gaffney is a backup point guard that played 7 minutes last night. People need to lighten up on him. There are no other options to spell Cole and Jackson.

I thought the team played relatively well over all. I think Marquette is a solid team and they have some good non-conference wins, and UConn led the whole second half on the road. Hurley still is prone to offensive droughts when the other team changes up its defense.

UConn is really dependent on 1-on-1 players in its offense, so the Huskies need Martin and Sanogo, even if they are not 100%. UConn would probably be 12-1 right now if they had been healthy all season.

Reaction Score
I'm tired of the shouldering by the other team. Refs have been awful all year at calling or I should say not calling it. Whaley, Gaff and Martin seem to get it the most. Whaley, the most however, gets penalized for being in position and being strong. He doesn't flop and the offensive player gets rewarded for it. Can't wait to see the Nova PG bull his way in on Cole and Gaff on almost every possession.

I can hardly wait for Colin Gillespie to do this to RJ. I think Hurley needs to say something about this out loud in an interview. Not sure if this is handled through the league office but the call on Whaley was ridiculous and needs to stop. Nova will put RJ on the bench in the first 8 minutes if this keeps being allowed.

Reaction Score
i think the issue is that the things he does well hes not doing very well over the last two games. We need him rebounding, blocking shots and defending. He has had his lunch handed to him in the last two games by opposing bigs. If that continues he may lose minutes to Akok who right now is a better one on one defender but gets lost on rotations at times which is keeping him from really taking his defense to an elite level.
This is absolutely spot on. Whaley has not looked good guarding the 5 lately. Sanogo sliding back in should help, I just worry about the 5 defensively when Sanogo is out. Would like to see Johnson play 5 min or so minimum so Whaley can limit the time he has at the 5. Granted, I though Whaley did an excellent job staying out of foul trouble given the whistle fest.

Akok’s rotations aren’t merely a struggle — they are BAD. With that said, his ability to block shots makes up for it to a degree. My biggest gripe in his overall game currently is his ability to finish at the rim. For someone so long and athletic his touch lacks a lot to be desired when he gets to the rim.

Reaction Score
Whaley was doing his best while giving up 40 pounds of Catapiller Tractor. Most calls against Whaley were from behind the hoop and didn't reflect the low shoulder bulling. Refs should all see game film to also grow their games! Their bigs ran us over but Hurley did finally doubled down from time to time late in game. We were blessed with many of their misses that the rim in the last 5 minutes of the game.

Reaction Score
Not when we win DESPITE our coach. Same issues tonight, we just overcame them. Focusing on results only is fools gold. Eventually if you don’t fix things they catch up to you.
Criticize and or critique then but why bash. Also watch if the team shows continued progress.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is a backup point guard that played 7 minutes last night. People need to lighten up on him. There are no other options to spell Cole and Jackson.

I thought the team played relatively well over all. I think Marquette is a solid team and they have some good non-conference wins, and UConn led the whole second half on the road. Hurley still is prone to offensive droughts when the other team changes up its defense.

UConn is really dependent on 1-on-1 players in its offense, so the Huskies need Martin and Sanogo, even if they are not 100%. UConn would probably be 12-1 right now if they had been healthy all season.
It’s like many didn’t watch the game. Gaffney had his minutes as the off guard taken away yesterday. He only played when Cole rested. When he’s not playing the 2, he’s not going to look to score as much and we don’t need him to. Folks who don’t want him in should have been happy by this. But they’re not because their gut tells them Diggins is better. They should lose weight so their gut won’t be as prominent.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Andre Jackson looked good again. Played within himself, took some easy looks, and his passing was very good. I’m hoping he develops the finishing skills to be more of a scorer but he’s been playing pretty well recently.

May have been Jackson's best overall game. Didn't get out of control once and every thing had a purpose.

Reaction Score
Win on the road in the BE is a win. Some good things, some bad things. Will think about them more later on but work to do. Baby steps for now next is Xavier who laid an egg 2nd half versus Nova. They will be needy.

Enjoy your day 10-3 for now, baby steps! Lol
Agree with you. Big Picture--A bounce-back Quad One road win in the BE is huge. Especially a win without your "A" game. Great way to go into Holidays for these guys.

Details--Work to do as do many D-1 Programs have at this time of year. Most important game is the next one. Kinda like golf-The next shot.

Reaction Score
The reffing in this game was bizarre and something we’ve seen a couple this year. The first 10-12 minutes they basically just let them play through almost any contact. Then at some point it just switched and all of a sudden the most ticky tacky fouls are getting called. It seemed pretty consistently inconsistent between both teams but just odd to see it change that drastically.
I noticed it too, and there was a stretch where about 4 calls in a row went against us as they were getting back into the game.

Reaction Score

May have been Jackson's best overall game. Didn't get out of control once and every thing had a purpose.

I agree. We are now seeing flashes of a guy who can be solid as a scorer, if not great, while doing other things really well. There was a reason he led the team in minutes yesterday.

But if he wants to play over 30 minutes a game, he can’t go away on offense for such long stretches. He has to remain a threat to take his man off the bounce.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They can’t play every minute of the game. They need a minute or two to rest, especially when we’re consistently pushing in transition.

Hurley seems to like resting Cole between the 12 minute to 8 minute TV time out. Allows Cole to play first 8 minutes of the second half and be rested for the final 8 minutes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree. We are now seeing flashes of a guy who can be solid as a scorer, if not great, while doing other things really well. There was a reason he led the team in minutes yesterday.

But if he wants to play over 30 minutes a game, he can’t go away on offense for such long stretches. He has to remain a thread to take his man off the bounce.

10 points
7 rebounds
3 assists
3 steals
0 TO's

Reaction Score
Despite the funniest looking shot I've ever seen, Jackson looks comfortable out there and ready to impose his will. I thought he had a great first half yesterday and then he seemed to disappear in the second half.

He seems to have harnessed his energy and athleticism to the point of being more poised and efficient. He still doesn't seem to trust his handle enough to take his man off the dribble very often, but he will get there. Love what he brings overall, point forwardish with elite athleticism.

Reaction Score
This is the 2nd or 3rd time this year we’ve gone up double digits and Hurley sits Cole and Martin and the lead immediately evaporates. That cannot happen again. We do not have the offensive firepower to sit our 2 best scorers at the same time and frankly I’m not sure what Hurley thinks when he does it??
He probably thinks that these guys can't play 40 minutes and he has to sit them sometime, and the best time to do it is after building a 10 point lead when we have a little cushion.

The only problem is sitting both of them at once, you have to stagger it -- maybe sit Martin from the 12 minutes mark to 9 minutes, and Cole from 9 minutes to 6, something like that.

Reaction Score
This is absolutely spot on. Whaley has not looked good guarding the 5 lately. Sanogo sliding back in should help, I just worry about the 5 defensively when Sanogo is out. Would like to see Johnson play 5 min or so minimum so Whaley can limit the time he has at the 5. Granted, I though Whaley did an excellent job staying out of foul trouble given the whistle fest.

Akok’s rotations aren’t merely a struggle — they are BAD. With that said, his ability to block shots makes up for it to a degree. My biggest gripe in his overall game currently is his ability to finish at the rim. For someone so long and athletic his touch lacks a lot to be desired when he gets to the rim.
Akok's offense is really limited to spot-up 3's and the occasional alley-oop.

He can't take a guy off the dribble, post up, or finish through/around contact, e.g. on an offensive rebound. Same is true of Whaley, really. This is a large part of why our offense stagnates. Hopefully the guys we're bringing in next year are more well-rounded.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom