Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I don't like Nneka's "European step thru"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The refs allows player to cover a lot of territory. In many cases, I think it's excessive.
I guess they don't want to impede on the foreign players growth so they allow everyone to do it. Its a nice move but I don't like it

Reaction Score
Maya was doubling on the drive to the basket. She was late closing out, but I think missed the deflection by about 6". As I told VaMike23, I'd take my chances with AB from the corner. I think, though, that Coach Reeve was unhappy about the doubling.

End of game defense gotta maintain contact and gotta stay home. Maya had a foot in the paint almost the entire time, almost got caught behind a screen, and never checked on the whereabouts of the person she was defending.

While Alana Beard is not the offensive threat she was when she entered the league, she is still a lifetime 43% shooter and a former Wade Trophy winner. That makes her better than good enough to warrant concern.

Reaction Score
Though I love Maya, I really don't have a dog in this fight...thought it was a great game that exhibited amazing talent on both sides of the ball. I was super-impressed by Tolliver, who kept throwing up daggers that kept LA in the game. But my primary reaction was that I thought Lynx coaching was less-than-stellar. LA had no one who could defense big Syl, but they did not focus on getting the ball into her hands down low. Yes, she wound up getting a lot of second chance points, but she should have been the primary option.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
End of game defense gotta maintain contact and gotta stay home. Maya had a foot in the paint almost the entire time, almost got caught behind a screen, and never checked on the whereabouts of the person she was defending.

While Alana Beard is not the offensive threat she was when she entered the league, she is still a lifetime 43% shooter and a former Wade Trophy winner. That makes her better than good enough to warrant concern.
Yeah, Maya wasn't quite in the right place. But I didn't want Nneka, Chelsea, or Kristi talking that last shot. Alana was basically at 3-point range. Her percentage the past 4 years from the arc has been only 13%, 29%, 18%, and 34%. Kristi over the same period has shot 38%, 39%, 38%, and 42%.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yeah, Maya wasn't quite in the right place. But I didn't want Nneka, Chelsea, or Kristi talking that last shot. Alana was basically at 3-point range. Her percentage the past 4 years from the arc has been only 13%, 29%, 18%, and 34%. Kristi over the same period has shot 38%, 39%, 38%, and 42%.

I mean, if Gray or Nneka or Candace or Toliver had scored one-on-one, people would be complaining that the Lynx didn't force her to give up the ball to a less likely hero. Beard was something like 1 for 4 up until that point. She made a contested long jumper. The defense could've been better but it's not like they gave up a layup.

Reaction Score
I mean, if Gray or Nneka or Candace or Toliver had scored one-on-one, people would be complaining that the Lynx didn't force her to give up the ball to a less likely hero. Beard was something like 1 for 4 up until that point. She made a contested long jumper. The defense could've been better but it's not like they gave up a layup.

Maya had a foot in the paint when Beard caught the ball. If you consider that a contested shot, then all praises to Maya who did well to get back into the picture.

Hypothetical scenario: Late game possession, tie score, do you slough off of Kobe, Michael, LeBron, Diana, Sue, Maya, Robert Horry, Larry Bird, or Kareem if they are 1 for 4 at that point? Does Notre Dame back off of Diana in a hypothetically tied game in the 2001 national semifinal when she was 1 for 15? Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that Diana takes that shot despite being 1-15. Did not Coach Auriemma put the ball in Diana's capable hands with UConn up six with 1:30 to go in the national final game a year later at point when she was 4 for 15. Everyone on the floor in end of game situations is a scoring threat by design.

Reaction Score
The difference was Gray coming off the bench to take over the point guard duties, in my opinion. Whalen did a great job but the Lynx's substitute point guards did not impact the game the way Gray did with her size and shooting.

Reaction Score
The difference was Gray coming off the bench to take over the point guard duties, in my opinion. Whalen did a great job but the Lynx's substitute point guards did not impact the game the way Gray did with her size and shooting.

Gray's play in the second half of the season overall has been quite illuminating for Los Angeles. Her play has impacted the team trmendously. The trade will not reflect well with Connecticut. [The Los Angeles Sparks have acquired guard Chelsea Gray, the 15th and 23rd picks in the 2016 WNBA Draft and the first round pick in the 2017 draft from the Connecticut Sun in exchange for the draft rights to guard Jonquel Jones and the 17th pick in the 2016 WNBA Draft, executive vice president and general manager Penny Toler announced today.]

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The local police in Minneapolis have put out an All Points Bulletin for the arrest and apprehension of every member of the Los Angels Sparks Basketball Team. They are wanted in connection of a grand theft robbery they committed on Sunday when they stole a game from the Lynx with no time left on the clock, thereby breaking the hearts and spirit of everyone in attendance.

The police want to find and arrest the Sparks as quickly as possible. An anonymous source for the Sparks indicated that there was more were this came from, and that the Sparks would strike again. Many Lynx fans were seen leaving the arena weeping and sobbing. This was Grand theft larceny at it's worst. Heh heh heh. :D

Go Sparks.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I would like to see the Sparks win a championship. In a year that Parker and Nneka, IMO, should have been on the Olympic team, it would be nice to see them win a WNBA championship.

ET, I seriously doubt that you will post a comment this year that I will agree with more. I would love to see MY Sparks (my hometown team) bring this thing home. Go Sparks. :cool:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I would like to see the Sparks win a championship. In a year that Parker and Nneka, IMO, should have been on the Olympic team, it would be nice to see them win a WNBA championship.

Yeah, because the Olympic team really struggled without them and their chemistry was just a mess.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Lynx need to win tonight or it will likely be a sweep for the Sparks. They did a good job last game, but LA made the big plays. Get the ball into Big Syl, close out on LA's shooters and take care of the ball and it'll be a Lynx win. Otherwise, I have a hard time seeing Minnesota win 2 straight in LA, then having to win a third straight game against LA.

Reaction Score
The first game was such a good game. I'm skipping UMW tonight because I want to see the game live not taped. Hope it's another exciting game. Especially since the WNBA REALLY needs more fans.

p.s. I'm glad I didn't predict. I would've predicted Lynx in three because LA played SO poorly after the Olympic break. Glad to have been wrong.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The first game was such a good game. I'm skipping UMW tonight because I want to see the game live not taped. Hope it's another exciting game. Especially since the WNBA REALLY needs more fans.

p.s. I'm glad I didn't predict. I would've predicted Lynx in three because LA played SO poorly after the Olympic break. Glad to have been wrong.

Well Magy, stepping out on limbs is what I do (along with making predictions) Although my "gift" of prognostication only works between November 1st and the end of the first week in April, I'll start early this year. I'm predicting a Lynx win tonight.

The Lynx are a complete veteran team that got snake bit at the end of the 1st game. I don't think they're going to be swept (although I would have no problem if they were), and I don't think they'll lose tonight. The Lynx will bounce back and tie this series at 1-1. I'll be watching tonight also. There's something special about this year's Sparks team. I see this series going 4 games with the Sparks hoisting the championship trophy high for all to see during their victory lap around the Staples Center. Magy, Never underestimate the heart of a champion!. :p

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree... and I love Renee and Siemone

Just a thought.........How much better do you think the San Antonio Stars would instantly become if they could work out a trade for both of these ladies, and take some pressure off of MoJeff? Maybe they could work a three-way deal, and get a much needed BIG in the process. I'll hang up and listen. :)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Memo to Ana Cruz: Get the freakin' ball to a team mate that can actually hit a shot. You, it would seem, can't hit anything.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Minnesota's Seimone Augustus passed Diana Taurasi in Game 2 for the No. 2 spot on the all-time WNBA Finals scoring list.

stick around with Maya a little longer she will create a bigger gap

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
More like it.

Amazing how Candace can just disappear in a game

Old Pro Alana Beard put her team on her back and kept LA in the game until she got tired and the pressure of
holding up the team got to her.

Nnecka plays tough all the time and is a talented actress to boot as coach Reeve emphatically pointed out.

On the Minny side, Maya was Maya...not perfect mind you ; some silly passes, some thoughtless defensive sequences...but the woman (our woman...gads she's 27 already) is a winner, with the ability to put the ball in the hoop from many.many different angles...gads, what a show she put on... perhaps a bit undisciplined on D, but the effort is always there and it pays off as often as not. She was tired at the end too.

And big Syl is playing the most liberated BB of her life. Boy, has Cheryl coached her up big time.

When Seimone went on her personal mini-run; LA just didn't have the firepower to answer...no one even wanted to shoot and Parker was asleep at the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom