Lynx vs Sparks... Predictions! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lynx vs Sparks... Predictions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It was a pretty weird game tonight. Minnesota thoroughly outplayed LA all night, but LA was able to hang in there pretty much thanks to Toliver/Gray scoring from deep. Parker and Nneka were no shows, a combined 25 points and 11 boards after each having 24/9 last game. Moore and Minnesota's relentless rebounding was the difference tonight. There were a couple of times where LA cut it to two, and Moore had the answer to create some separation again.

The ending was truly weird. LA claws back to within 2 and just got a defensive stop, and then Toliver hurls up an awful shot that doesn't catch rim and Minnesota gets the ball back. Same scenario next time down, Parker gets stripped. Absolutely horrible job by the refs down the stretch missing the 8 second violation and then calling Parker for a foul on what was a clean block. That put Minny at the line to extend the lead to 4 with under 15 ticks to go. Tough way to lose, but LA really had no business having a chance to win with how poorly they played most of the night.

Game 5 should be interesting. Parker and Moore have seemed to trade off having bad nights, so it would appear that Parker is due for a big game and Moore due for a down game, but obviously I wouldn't expect that to happen. LA needs to attack the basket and get better ball movement. It all starts with Parker and Nneka getting touches in good spots. Their teammates have to look for them inside, and they have to work hard on every play to get in good spots on the floor. Candace can't become a jump shooter and she needs to box out. I couldn't believe how much harder Fowles was working inside tonight than Candace was. I think when both teams are at there best, LA is the better team due to their ball movement and ability to beat you in a number of ways. When they play well, they're the more cohesive team on the court--but they are inconsistent. For Minnesota, they just need a balanced attack and to take/make good shots. They did a good job of that tonight and will need to keep it up if they will come out on top.

I seriously don't want to hear about how "favorable" the reffing was to Minnesota after all the ridiculous calls in the first quarter that went against the Lynx. Three fouls on Brunson in the first 7 minutes, all of them bad calls. A traveling call on Maya after a rebound, when it was her being bumped twice by two different Sparks players that caused the travel. A foul called on Seimone for tripping over a Candace who had fallen to the ground (i.e., not legal guarding position). I normally hate it when people complain about the reffing, and I'm sympathetic to basketball refs in particular because it's a virtually impossible sport to referee, but let's face it, the reffing in WNBA games just always seems bad.

But at least it gives the Sparks the excuse they need to pretend that it wasn't them who lost the game.

Reaction Score
FB_IMG_1476673690798.jpg
That's my girl. The Amazing Maya Moore. Thursday is going to be a battle indeed. I hope everyone bring their A game. Because if Maya brings her the Sparks in trouble.

Reaction Score
Looks like the officials have decided they want to get Parker a title tonight.
They really wanted Mercury to win it. Lynx are so good to beat the opposition and the refs antics. But Lynx winning is bad for the WNBA.

Reaction Score
i really have no idea how the sparks even stayed close in this game. all of their starters had a below par game. Candace can't just disappear for a half or hang outside on the perimeter all the time. not sure what was going on but the better team won last night. hopefully, their starters will go back and realize that they have ONE chance to win a title on Thursday and then PLAY like it.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I seriously don't want to hear about how "favorable" the reffing was to Minnesota after all the ridiculous calls in the first quarter that went against the Lynx. Three fouls on Brunson in the first 7 minutes, all of them bad calls. A traveling call on Maya after a rebound, when it was her being bumped twice by two different Sparks players that caused the travel. A foul called on Seimone for tripping over a Candace who had fallen to the ground (i.e., not legal guarding position). I normally hate it when people complain about the reffing, and I'm sympathetic to basketball refs in particular because it's a virtually impossible sport to referee, but let's face it, the reffing in WNBA games just always seems bad.

But at least it gives the Sparks the excuse they need to pretend that it wasn't them who lost the game.

So if you reread my post, I never said the referees were the reason why LA lost, nor did I say that it was favorable all night. I was just saying those were two really bad calls/no calls down the stretch that you don't typically see having a big of an impact in a game of this magnitude. There were bad calls both ways all game long, and it wasn't meant to be used as an excuse. The Lynx clearly outplayed the Sparks last night, and I acknowledged that in my post.

Reaction Score
It was a pretty weird game tonight. Minnesota thoroughly outplayed LA all night, but LA was able to hang in there pretty much thanks to Toliver/Gray scoring from deep. Parker and Nneka were no shows, a combined 25 points and 11 boards after each having 24/9 last game. Moore and Minnesota's relentless rebounding was the difference tonight. There were a couple of times where LA cut it to two, and Moore had the answer to create some separation again.

The ending was truly weird. LA claws back to within 2 and just got a defensive stop, and then Toliver hurls up an awful shot that doesn't catch rim and Minnesota gets the ball back. Same scenario next time down, Parker gets stripped. Absolutely horrible job by the refs down the stretch missing the 8 second violation and then calling Parker for a foul on what was a clean block. That put Minny at the line to extend the lead to 4 with under 15 ticks to go. Tough way to lose, but LA really had no business having a chance to win with how poorly they played most of the night.

Game 5 should be interesting. Parker and Moore have seemed to trade off having bad nights, so it would appear that Parker is due for a big game and Moore due for a down game, but obviously I wouldn't expect that to happen. LA needs to attack the basket and get better ball movement. It all starts with Parker and Nneka getting touches in good spots. Their teammates have to look for them inside, and they have to work hard on every play to get in good spots on the floor. Candace can't become a jump shooter and she needs to box out. I couldn't believe how much harder Fowles was working inside tonight than Candace was. I think when both teams are at there best, LA is the better team due to their ball movement and ability to beat you in a number of ways. When they play well, they're the more cohesive team on the court--but they are inconsistent. For Minnesota, they just need a balanced attack and to take/make good shots. They did a good job of that tonight and will need to keep it up if they will come out on top.

Great analysis of the game. Those last two possessions for LA were as horrific as described, and the two blown calls immediately thereafter sealed it. It was really a disappointing effort by LA. No sense of urgency early on, no production at all from their big two, not even any "puck luck" as we say in hockey. If that version of LA shows up at Target Center of Thursday, it could be over very quickly.

What you had last night was Maya Moore beating the entire LA team virtually by herself; an offensive and defensive tour de force from the world's best player.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Unflappable Moore Delivers Another Signature Game
Brian Kotloff
October 17, 2016

LOS ANGELES – Her latest heroics complete, Maya Moore sat in front of her locker and began to wrap her legs in plastic, securing ice bags across each of her ankles. She rose and joined teammate Lindsay Whalen and together they hobbled through the bowels of the Staples Center en route to another postgame press conference.

From there they would attempt to explain how, with their season on the brink, they dug deep to pull out an 85-79 win inGame 4 of the 2016 WNBA Finals, forcing a winner-take-all Game 5 in Minneapolis for a second straight year. But the image backstage in the House That Kobe Built said enough: Moore walking stiff-legged through the concourse, leaning on Whalen for support, and Whalen patting Moore on the back for a season saved.

LINK

maya on ice.jpg

Reaction Score
i really have no idea how the sparks even stayed close in this game. all of their starters had a below par game. Candace can't just disappear for a half or hang outside on the perimeter all the time. not sure what was going on but the better team won last night. hopefully, their starters will go back and realize that they have ONE chance to win a title on Thursday and then PLAY like it.
Toliver and Gray combined for 8 for 11 from beyond the arc. That might help explain why LA kept it close even though their stars were not dominant.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
P.S.

Maya's most impressive stat of the night:

+17 on the +/- in a 6-point win, in which she played 34 out of 40 minutes. Kudos also to Big Syl who played a whopping 39 minutes out of 40.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

And then there was one. As in one game left in the season for all the marbles. I agree with Plebe's take on the game. Ball calls aside (you should never allow the outcome of the game to be in the ref's hands), the Sparks could not get in sync They didn't appear very motivated to play either.

They took a lot of bad or ill-advised shots. They were also out rebounded 41-25. Lest I remind you what former Laker head coach Pat Riley once said...."No rebounds, no rings".

There was absolutely zero energy in their play or from the bench. Malevocalist suggests that everyone (especially the Sparks) bring their A game. That's a very real and accurate suggestion. The Lynx are the defending league champions. They KNOW what it takes to win. The Lynx one weakness is they are not a good 3 point shooting team.

The Sparks will have to play in game 5 like they did in game 3, or it will be game, set, match. All of the Sparks big guns (Candace, Nneka & Tolliver) must show up, and show up BIG TIME!!! Whatever Chelsea Gray is drinking, she needs to share it with the rest of the team. Maya will show up, she usually does. And she'll show up with a bag full of brand new shiny daggers for the Sparks, like she did last night (31 points).

It's very hard to beat the Lynx in Minnesota, especially with a league championship trophy hanging in the balance. The Sparks players will physically be in the arena Thursday, whether they "show up" ready to play or not remains to be seen. The difference between a champion, and a wanna be is having a strong over powering will to win. Finding a way to win. Making a way out of no way. Refusing to lose. Those are the intangibles of a real champion.

It would have been a lot easier to close out the Lynx in L.A., than it's going to be in Minnesota. The final stretch of road to the championship for the Sparks just became steep. We'll see Thursday night who wants this championship the most. I'm a Sparks fan, but I don't have a good feeling about game 5. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Unflappable Moore Delivers Another Signature Game
Brian Kotloff
October 17, 2016

LOS ANGELES – Her latest heroics complete, Maya Moore sat in front of her locker and began to wrap her legs in plastic, securing ice bags across each of her ankles. She rose and joined teammate Lindsay Whalen and together they hobbled through the bowels of the Staples Center en route to another postgame press conference.

From there they would attempt to explain how, with their season on the brink, they dug deep to pull out an 85-79 win inGame 4 of the 2016 WNBA Finals, forcing a winner-take-all Game 5 in Minneapolis for a second straight year. But the image backstage in the House That Kobe Built said enough: Moore walking stiff-legged through the concourse, leaning on Whalen for support, and Whalen patting Moore on the back for a season saved.

LINK

View attachment 16206

This is just one of the reasons Whalen is a valued and respected member of the team. Aside from the fact that she is a "baller", she genuinely cares about her teammates.

Reaction Score
I must have watched a different game. I am not a fan of the LA Sparks but I admire their fighting spirit, courage and swagger. Parker, Ogwugmike, Tolliver, Beard were all tough as nails. They were fighting, clawing their way back within 2, a couple of times. It was a 1 basket game until the MM free throws. Was it not for MM, LA clearly outplayed the Lynx, Fowles and company. I thought the Lynx were not the best team in game 4 just like they were not the best team in game 3. Except for the superhuman performance of MM the Lynx should have won the championship. MM being MM, it's a tough call for game 5.

Reaction Score
I must have watched a different game. I am not a fan of the LA Sparks but I admire their fighting spirit, courage and swagger. Parker, Ogwugmike, Tolliver, Beard were all tough as nails. They were fighting, clawing their way back within 2, a couple of times. It was a 1 basket game until the MM free throws. Was it not for MM, LA clearly outplayed the Lynx, Fowles and company. I thought the Lynx were not the best team in game 4 just like they were not the best team in game 3. Except for the superhuman performance of MM the Lynx should have won the championship. MM being MM, it's a tough call for game 5.

You are definitely of the minority. VolNation is blasting Parker for not showing up, taking the game off. They went so far as to say she didn't deserve to be on the Olympic team or on the All-WNBA team.

Also, the game wouldn't have been that close without the performance of Chelsy Gray.

Reaction Score
Not only that Geew, but posters are saying the Sparks should trade her.

Reaction Score
Not only that Geew, but posters are saying the Sparks should trade her.

Yup, that too.

Funny cause I thought a few years ago, she should ask for a trade. She seemed to be "stuck".

Reaction Score
I pride myself on being honest, whether it hurts the LVs, UCONN, or any other team. Parker did not show up and own the game...neither did nneka. toliver started out making really dumb decisions by fouling and then continued to make dumb decisions by taking totally out of control shots. that shot she fired off the backboard from 30 feet out was such a bozo thing to do. that being said, maya completely carried the lynx. their players stood back and watched a bit too.

HGN

Reaction Score
Lynx !!! If the Sparks wanted it they should have won Game 4 in L.A......But letting it get back to Minneapolis was a mistake on LA's part......... Its not a wrap for the Lynx but the Fat Lady is warming up her voice.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So if you reread my post, I never said the referees were the reason why LA lost, nor did I say that it was favorable all night. I was just saying those were two really bad calls/no calls down the stretch that you don't typically see having a big of an impact in a game of this magnitude. There were bad calls both ways all game long, and it wasn't meant to be used as an excuse. The Lynx clearly outplayed the Sparks last night, and I acknowledged that in my post.

I apologize if it seemed overreactive to your post, but I was really responding to this tendency in general to focus on just one or two calls down the stretch that could've changed the game. Here's the deal: every call changes the game. The 3 questionable touch foul calls on Brunson in the 1st quarter completely changed the game for Minnesota. Not calling an obvious foul on a star player in the 1st quarter changes the game because (as any player would know) just one early foul call can make a player more cautious on defense and/or less daring on offense.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
I pride myself on being honest, whether it hurts the LVs, UCONN, or any other team. Parker did not show up and own the game...neither did nneka. toliver started out making really dumb decisions by fouling and then continued to make dumb decisions by taking totally out of control shots. that shot she fired off the backboard from 30 feet out was such a bozo thing to do. that being said, maya completely carried the lynx. their players stood back and watched a bit too.
LadyVol..........I hesitate to agree....I think Candace and Nneka played well overall. Neither had an explosive game but both played well overall I thought. Nneka scooted in for some improbable rebounds and Candace played relatively good defense on a hard to guard center, unless your name is Griner , in Sylvia Fowles. The only problem the Sparks had was untimely fouls. And the Lynx didn't missed their foul shots. If the Lynx had missed those foul shots and the Sparks had come down with the rebound the score would have been different.

But the Sparks got a mountain to climb now back in Minneapolis. The Championship is on the line and its in the Lynx backyard. The Sparks couldn't close it out in their own backyard in LA........Now they have to do it in the Lynx backyard. And that is not going to be easy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You are definitely of the minority. VolNation is blasting Parker for not showing up, taking the game off. They went so far as to say she didn't deserve to be on the Olympic team or on the All-WNBA team.

Also, the game wouldn't have been that close without the performance of Chelsy Gray.
That's what we've been saying. Candace is great, but only when the effort is there.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Things these two teams have done, but dare not do again if they want a ring:

1- Miss dead-on layups and put-backs
2- Play "matador defense" / Fail to stop the ball
3- Take really, really bad shots at key moments (L.A.)
4- Fail to hit unguarded shots
5- Fail to maintain control the ball at the point of rebound acquisition
6- Force passes into crowded spaces

But then, I could say these same things about a fair number of WNBA games, and games in general.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
missed this missed that... whatever! Game 5 here we come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads