Who Wins Lady Vols or Texas

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
We've entered the anticipated "new"DeShields era in UTenn basketball.
The savior of the team
I actually didn't see the game;( I'm out with friends)...that pleasure will have to await this evening.
But I checked out the box.
Diamond scored a reputable 24 points, had a bunch of boards
The rest of the team scored 29 (if my counting on my fingers is correct).
Now if they can get her production up to 50 or 60, they may compete successfully against
the better teams.
I'm sure they'll work on that in practice.
The 2 starting guards were a combined 4 for 22 and missed all their 3-point shots...that's something under 20%

Maybe...

While I think it is clear that TN has been surprisingly poor so far this year, I would urge caution on using stats for individual players from one game to make that point.

For example, in the game against Nebraska, Kia and Gabby were off their game so far as shooting goes - a combined 3 of 12 and they also missed all 3-point attempts.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
UTex shot 10 Fts in the last 46 seconds when Vols were intentionally fouling, so FT stats don't always show the reality.

The good new: both teams pulled down 40+ rebounds.

The bad news: both teams shot under 40%, with the Vols badly pungent at 30.4%.

Maybe layups under stressful (or at least semi stressful conditions like with Rocky Top playing at high decibels) will be emphasized in practice this week.

Reaction Score
Wilt's athleticism was off the charts. He was simply amazing in the number of sports in which he was capable. Dick Schapp, also, reported Wilt had a gift for language and was able to converse in six or seven.
Amazing--he should have gone with the State Dept--they are always looking for people who speak multiple languages--it beats trying to teach them.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Sagarin has UTenn ranked no. 32!! In more than 15 years I can't recall UTenn being ranked outside the top 15-20 teams by him. I wonder how far they fall in the polls. Surely outside the top 10.

So does this settle the UT argument. UT=Texas now that UTenn has been horned again?

Reaction Score
Wilt's athleticism was off the charts. He was simply amazing in the number of sports in which he was capable. Dick Schapp, also, reported Wilt had a gift for language and was able to converse in six or seven.
Capable in multiple sports?? With the 20,000 extra curricular activities he said he was involved in--looking at his span of life--one would wonder how he had time for sports or learning languages??? His words not mine!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Capable in multiple sports?? With the 20,000 extra curricular activities he said he was involved in--looking at his span of life--one would wonder how he had time for sports or learning languages??? His words not mine!!

He ran the 440 at Kansas in college, he played pro volleyball, he benched 475-500 in an era when few dedicated themselves to those type of weights. He still reportedly benched 465 at the age of 59.

Reaction Score
Sagarin has UTenn ranked no. 32!! In more than 15 years I can't recall UTenn being ranked outside the top 15-20 teams by him. I wonder how far they fall in the polls. Surely outside the top 10.

So does this settle the UT argument. UT=Texas now that UTenn has been horned again?
Am I once again delusional thinking the TV said TX #7??? Hook em horns!!!

Reaction Score
He ran the 440 at Kansas in college, he played pro volleyball, he benched 425-475 in an era when few dedicated themselves to those type of weights.
Poor guy must have died of back problems!! 20,000!!! That's a many!! After lifting weights and running and jumping--I'm tired just writing it!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
ESPN booked this game featuring two internet legends, ranked #4 and #8, and surely regret it now. A better show may have been Diamond DeShields vs. Kelsey Mitchell in a game of H-O-R-S-E. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
ESPN booked this game featuring two internet legends, ranked #4 and #8, and surely regret it now. A better show may have been Diamond DeShields vs. Kelsey Mitchell in a game of H-O-R-S-E. :rolleyes:

Now that would have been worth watching. I don't know why I stayed with that game after the first Quarter, masochist me
I liked what you said I posted it twice. Questions---what is/are "two internet legends"?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He was also tremendously strong. If you were bored, you could read all day about some of his feats of strength. Or you could take a look at him in the movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger... Conan the Destroyer, which he did when he was 48 years old.

Reaction Score
I was just reading the game thread on VolNation. A whole lot of pissed off orange over there. Absolutely no love or concern for Jones when she got hurt.
Seems as if the rational UT fans are relocating here. It's good to see how strongly they defend their team while respecting UConn.
Personally I'm glad they're here, but until the hate on their board fades away, It's not a good idea to schedule regular season games with UT.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The worst part of it all for me is that you can't even hate them any more, any more than you could hate your fiercest business or love rival reduced to living under a bridge. All you can really do is feel sorry for them and (most of) their fans. It is pitiful. By all accounts Holly is a very nice, charming woman, but she can't coach for sour apples. And for next season they have recruited.....nobody.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That was last year's loss to Texas at Texas, not today's loss.

My bad. Sure sounded like today, but if memory serves the backdrop was a Texan one. Should have been a clue, huh?

Reaction Score
The worst part of it all for me is that you can't even hate them any more, any more than you could hate your fiercest business or love rival reduced to living under a bridge. All you can really do is feel sorry for them and (most of) their fans. It is pitiful. By all accounts Holly is a very nice, charming woman, but she can't coach for sour apples. And for next season they have recruited.....nobody.
Yes you can. Why else would there be a 5-page thread here this afternoon, bashing them mercilessly and rejoicing in their misery?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

Don't bet on it. You know you never drop more than a few places when you lose to a "powerful" top 10 team, even at home.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Don't bet on it. You know you never drop more than a few places when you lose to a "powerful" top 10 team, even at home.
Yeah I doubt they will loose too many spots.

Reaction Score
I posted this in one of the other threads, but here are my thoughts regarding the state of the Lady Vols basketball program:

While Warlick isn't the greatest of coaches, the fact is she's running the same game plans as Summitt. The difference is Pat was a motivator and recruiter on the same level as Geno, while Warlick just looks bored and unsure of what to do when the boat springs a leak. Tennessee's style of play is largely unchanged from 30 years ago and simply does not translate well today. Pat did most of her damage in the sport's nascent years before anyone had internet beyond AOL. I wonder if a Summitt led Tennessee would be as successful today as it was in the '90s. Nowadays you can't just be great at defense and rebounding. Tennessee desperately needs to recruit players that can put the ball through the hoop consistently. There is no one on their team that would start for UConn. Maybe DeShields comes off the bench as the 6th or 7th option, but if she's just a chucker, then even TLaw would get in the game before her. Tennesse needs to build a team and get some coaches that understand how to run offense. Seems like everyone that is trying to catch up with UConn is trying to do it by collecting as many stars as they can. In my opinion that's a bit like using a hammer to drive a screw: it can work, but might not be optimal. The genius behind UConn's success is that the program builds teams with players that fit together and not just trying to hoover up every 4 or 5 star recruit and/or transfer and hoping it works.

Reaction Score
Not a bad game for early in season.Everyone need to remember.Geno is a Outstanding Coach.Tennessee is not well coach.I like that Texas was able to go into Tennessee and get a W. Both teams will improve as the season goes along.Remember UConn fan's.Everybody are not able to play, the way UConn play.I look forward to seeing Tennessee and Texas improve.Women's Basketball is not fun.With 1 team beating everybody by 30 and 40 point's.All that do, is make the viewer ratings on TV go down.I would love to see at least 7 to 8 team's challenge UConn. If not it's not really fun to watch.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Fact is, you can have the best genetically engineered microbes in the world but give them a nutrient poor Petri dish, they shrivel up and go bad. If you take an assortment of great-good-decent microbes and give them a super rich environment to grow, then they take over the world, especially in March and April when conditions are especially ripe. The Storrs laboratories seem to be doing a pretty good job, while down south it's still the School of Hard Knox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom