Who Wins Lady Vols or Texas

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
After 6 games the savior of the Lady Vols basketball program is shooting 34.6% on the year. That's not 3-pt shooting, just regular FG%. No UConn player who has taken more than 1 shot is shooting under 40.9% on year.

It's time for UConn to bury the hatchet and loan the Vols a player who can give them some scoring boost and save their fans from life-ending thoughts. Maybe someone from the Connecticut Agricultural College (UConn) unbeaten team of 1902 could help out.

276x490
Scorch!!

Reaction Score
It seemed like a game where both teams were trying their best to lose. I have not seen Notre Dame yet, but all the top rated teams look pretty weak to me.

Tennessee's problems seem to have more to do with good coaching than good players. Speaking of "top rated teams." which Louisville won't be for long, did you see the Dayton-Louisville game today? Dayton absolutely stuck it to them again, despite Dayton having lost last year's two best players (Malott and Hoover). Jeez, Louisville was up 12 early and lost by 13. With or without Durr, this team looks lost and is struggling mightily. I doubt Walz has ever started a season 1-4. He'll have to be one helluva coach to turn this season around.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I posted this in one of the other threads, but here are my thoughts regarding the state of the Lady Vols basketball program:

While Warlick isn't the greatest of coaches, the fact is she's running the same game plans as Summitt. The difference is Pat was a motivator and recruiter on the same level as Geno, while Warlick just looks bored and unsure of what to do when the boat springs a leak. Tennessee's style of play is largely unchanged from 30 years ago and simply does not translate well today. Pat did most of her damage in the sport's nascent years before anyone had internet beyond AOL. I wonder if a Summitt led Tennessee would be as successful today as it was in the '90s. Nowadays you can't just be great at defense and rebounding. Tennessee desperately needs to recruit players that can put the ball through the hoop consistently. There is no one on their team that would start for UConn. Maybe DeShields comes off the bench as the 6th or 7th option, but if she's just a chucker, then even TLaw would get in the game before her. Tennesse needs to build a team and get some coaches that understand how to run offense. Seems like everyone that is trying to catch up with UConn is trying to do it by collecting as many stars as they can. In my opinion that's a bit like using a hammer to drive a screw: it can work, but might not be optimal. The genius behind UConn's success is that the program builds teams with players that fit together and not just trying to hoover up every 4 or 5 star recruit and/or transfer and hoping it works.
Actually, up to the early 2000s Pat's teams played very good team ball once those days were gone the rest of it was nowhere near as successful.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Tennessee's problems seem to have more to do with coaching than players. BTW, did you see the Dayton-Louisville game today? Dayton absolutely stuck it to them again, despite Dayton having lost last year's two best players (Malott and Hoover). Jeez, Louisville was up 12 early and lost by 13. With or without Durr, this team looks lost and will continue to struggle. I doubt Walz has ever started a season 1-4. He'll have to be one helluva coach to turn this season around.
The players seem to have plenty of problems, too. But that is a coaching problem, too, as the talent as recruited does not seem to be capable or desirous of playing as a unit. Geno and CD put as much emphasis on fit and personality as flat out athleticism.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sometimes Karl Marx is right. From each according to her ability - Geno is no Marxist but he demands it from his players. Without it, Deshields and her teammates shone like cubic zirconia in Boling-Thomson arena this afternoon. In spite of her glorious Jim Crow tradition, Tennessee would do well to practice a little Marxism at home.
This isn't fair to cubit zirconium. At least that sparkles.

Reaction Score
The players seem to have plenty of problems, too. But that is a coaching problem, too, as the talent as recruited does not seem to be capable or desirous of playing as a unit. Geno and CD put as much emphasis on fit and personality as flat out athleticism.

Agreed. We can assume the talent is there, given that Tennessee has like 7 HS All-Americans on their roster. It would seem it's the coach's responsibility to mold his/her players into a cohesive team. If the kids don't want to, or are incapable of playing as a unit, then that's on the coach- put them on the bench until they get the message. Or encourage them to transfer.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
UConn's going to be OK next year. We may lose Stewie and Mo, but will still have Kia at the 1, Gabby at the 2, KLS at the 3, Tuck at the 4, and Butler at the 5. A more traditional look. One that Geno prefers. Off the bench we will have CD, Collier, DJB, and TLaw.
Plus Chong.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Agreed. We can assume the talent is there, given that Tennessee has like 7 HS All-Americans on their roster. It would seem it's the coach's responsibility to mold his/her players into a cohesive team. If the kids don't want to, or are incapable of playing as a unit, then that's on the coach- put them on the bench until they get the message. Or encourage them to transfer.
But when you have a whole team infected with the problem bench time may well be futile.

Reaction Score
Permit me to invite your attention to several factors (that I mentioned without emphasis). Holly had n say about her assistants -- she was stuck with Pat's old crew. Wonder why the offense remains stagnant?

The new AD has caused an upheaval in the department, to the detriment of wbb.

And Pat's continuous presence surely is a hindrance to Holly.

Q. for you. Would Jeff Walz take that job under those conditions?

I agree with every point you make, Kib, as I usually do. And I'm not even a Tenn hater. Before the season, I gave Holly the benefit of the doubt, assuming she'd do a pretty good job with all that talent. But, watching that game today, I have to say that my opinion of her coaching abilities was probably too generous. It looked to me like schoolyard, half-court offense, a scheme in which Diamond inevitably excels, but I saw no sign that Holly had control of any kind of a game plan that resembled anything like what we've witnessed, not just from Geno, but a variety of top coaches. You are undoubtedly correct that her authority is dramatically undermined by her unique circumstances, but gee, hasn't she been head coach long enough now to demonstrate to all that she has a clue about teaching offensive schemes? Do you really think this is all only about how tightly she is handcuffed? OK, maybe you've convinced me to feel a bit sorry for her in the same generic sense that I feel sorry in advance for Geno's ultimate successor, clearly a no-win deal...or for any legendary coach's immediate successor. But the fact remains that she really does have top-tier talent at her disposal, talent that she successfully recruited, and she appears to be wasting it. Jeff Walz? Yeah, actually, I do think he could be tempted, if for no other reason that he'd be one-removed from Pat. Anyway, maybe I'm just spouting off and being too harsh...as always, I respect your opinion.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Will 2016-17 be a repetition of 2004-2005, when UConn lost eight games and went out in the Sweet 16? Personally, I think that is unlikely. The problem in 2004-2005 was poor guard play and no one handling the ball who really understood the offense. With Kia, Saniya, and Gabby around next year, that should not be a problem, and that should allow the good-but-not-great talent on the rest of the team to prevail, at least to the Final Four and perhaps to the National Championship. At that point, it will be of greater importance that the UConn coaching is better than that of other teams. That may be necessary to win against teams which (unlike this year) may actually have more talented rosters than UConn has.
Depends on what you call good or great, I guess. If Tuck comes back, I'd count her as great talent. Then there's KLS and Phee. Two top-tenners. Don't forget that DJB is/was a five-star recruit. Then there's Butler--you can't teach 6'5". Plus Dangerfield, third-ranked in her class.

I agree that UCONN will take a step back next year--Stewie and Mo are rare talents. But if Tuck comes back, and I think she will, UCONN will again have a very talented team. They might not win it, but barring injuries, they'll be right there with the rest of the best.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Permit me to invite your attention to several factors (that I mentioned without emphasis). Holly had n say about her assistants -- she was stuck with Pat's old crew. Wonder why the offense remains stagnant?

The new AD has caused an upheaval in the department, to the detriment of wbb.

And Pat's continuous presence surely is a hindrance to Holly.

Q. for you. Would Jeff Walz take that job under those conditions?
I would say that he would not. He's got a spiff situation where he is. The department is well run, he's got a superb facility to play home games in and recruit to. He's got great fan support. Admission requirements are no obstacle (not that they are at UT :D). He already plays in a top-notch conference for WBB. Finally, he's built something of his own.

So unless he likes the mountains, I would say no.

I can't see Mulkey doing it, either, but you never know.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
DobbsRover2 said:
UTex shot 10 Fts in the last 46 seconds when Vols were intentionally fouling, so FT stats don't always show the reality. The good new: both teams pulled down 40+ rebounds. The bad news: both teams shot under 40%, with the Vols badly pungent at 30.4%. Maybe layups under stressful (or at least semi stressful conditions like with Rocky Top playing at high decibels) will be emphasized in practice this week.

You know you're in trouble when "pungent" does not adequately describe your offensive (pun intended) efficiency and it becomes necessary for observers to say "badly pungent" . . . .

Lol

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I would say that he would not. .

Disregard reference to Walz.Let me rephrase the question. Would ANY prospective new HC agree to conditions like these?
1. Your assistants are already all in place. We know they are good because they all worked for Pat for many years.
2. Pat will remain to help you recruit, run practices, and deal with alumni and media. Should any assistants leave, look to her to find a replacement (maybe even young Tyler). You are fortunate to have her at all games and in team meetings.
3. You are lucky -- the AD won't bother you much -- his focus is on football.​

Got the idea?

T

TroyHouse66

Wilt's athleticism was off the charts. He was simply amazing in the number of sports in which he was capable. Dick Schapp, also, reported Wilt had a gift for language and was able to converse in six or seven.

Listen to the Icebear.. he knows that of which he speaks.
You can find many citations of "the Dipper's" athletic records in field, track, weight lifting, and volleyball....
But, for a good read, try:
Wilt: Just Like Any Other Seven-Foot Black Millionaire Who Lives Next Door. Wilt Chamberlain & David Shaw New York: Macmillan, 1973.
[Just don't ask to borrow my autographed copy.]

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Let's be honest and acknowledge that while UConn doesn't "hoover up" all the best recruits every year, in this particular year they have two seniors who are THE two most talented WCBB players in the country. With a more than capable supporting cast, and the experience of playing together in the same offensive and defensive systems for three years, that makes the success (actual and anticipated) rather predictable.

All of WCBB will get more interesting next year when those two transcendent talents are removed from the picture. UConn (not very sadly) will be "left" with a number of very good players, none of whom may be WNBA lottery picks in the year of their graduation. Those returning players will also have played together under the same offensive and defensive systems for multiple years (in most cases). They may actually win games by single digits, or possibly even lose a few by single digits.

Will 2016-17 be a repetition of 2004-2005, when UConn lost eight games and went out in the Sweet 16? Personally, I think that is unlikely. The problem in 2004-2005 was poor guard play and no one handling the ball who really understood the offense. With Kia, Saniya, and Gabby around next year, that should not be a problem, and that should allow the good-but-not-great talent on the rest of the team to prevail, at least to the Final Four and perhaps to the National Championship. At that point, it will be of greater importance that the UConn coaching is better than that of other teams. That may be necessary to win against teams which (unlike this year) may actually have more talented rosters than UConn has.
Well stated Joe- we'll be talented next year , but beatable. Nurse will take the point I think, unless Soniya is capable. She still looks like she's non existent on defense. We will see Butler and the three freshmen a lot this year- as we will be a much different team this year- much different. A lot of teams have been loading up!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well stated Joe- we'll be talented next year , but beatable. Nurse will take the point I think, unless Soniya is capable. She still looks like she's non existent on defense. We will see Butler and the three freshmen a lot this year- as we will be a much different team this year- much different. A lot of teams have been loading up!
I think Saniya has been playing excellent defense.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Should be very interesting next season...very good players...very good
Just no super-superstar...-2
If Geno gets another Nat. Championship out of them, he will have done a terrific coaching job.
But also look around the NCAA woman's field this year.
Seems like no one wants to be in the top 5
We still may have the most talent with lots of potential, almost superstars amongst us.

Reaction Score
What is with the notion that a head coach is "stuck" with his/her assistants..... if a change is needed then so be it.... make that change happen..... Voila!

Reaction Score
Should be very interesting next season...very good players...very good
Just
no super-superstar...-2
If Geno gets another Nat. Championship out of them, he will have done a terrific coaching job.
But also look around the NCAA woman's field this year.
Seems like no one wants to be in the top 5
We still may have the most talent with lots of potential, almost superstars amongst us.
We have a couple young HS superstars with another one on the way. My hunch is that superstardom will translate to this level for at least one of them, and we will be in great shape next year.

Reaction Score
This game was between the #4 team TN and the b#8 team TX! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????
These are 2 of the top 10 teams in the USA?
They both were terrible! TN was just more terrible than TX!
I have said many times before that TN will never make another Final Four ever! DD, the greatest WBB player ever since CP3 was the greatest WBB ever, will not lead TN to any promise land! The outhouse maybe, but certainly not the FF!
And I'm glad Russell had both feet operated on and she's still slower than me at 68 trying to go from the couch to the bathroom with an arthritic right hip!
How the powers that be at the University at TN can watch this excuse for a WCBB team an not run Holly Warlick out of town, is beyond belief!
But I still pray that Holly stays the HC at TN forever, as I need a good laugh at least once a week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom