Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 203 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Maybe there are no unanimous choices. There are no perfect candidates. Cincinnati is the midget brother to Ohio State in that state. There is only one school that will deliver it's entire state and some surrounding areas, but we have our warts also.

I want to agree with neoynox it's curious why they are sounding like ECU here...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1508416483_4819209751_z.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
You have no appreciation of style.

Reaction Score
Very good article from DiMauro. It seems like he may be the only CT print journalist that is beating the drum in support of CR/B-12 and UConn. Doyle just comes out with an arrangement of stuff we have already discussed here a few days prior and Jacobs then comes here..reads our discussions and puts his own spin on them by adding doom and gloom.
I read this and say "no brainer... Uconn is in like Flynn." Then you read some other article from a source in LA or TX, or even TN and you'll see Memphis, Houston, and Tulane mentioned as 'obvious' choices with not even mention of Uconn.

Honestly, if you go back to when CR started did anyone really think Uconn's future in college athletics hinged on Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, K-State and Iowa State? "What a Long Strange Trip it's Been"...

Reaction Score
Bryan Fischer@BryanDFischer 11 mins ago
Today in exploring the Big 12 expansion options: UConn.
Why Connecticut Should or Shouldn't Join the Big 12

>>Final Verdict When the Big 12 first announced it was exploring expansion (again) months ago, UConn seemed like a fringe candidate that was mostly being mentioned because the Huskies are a non-Power Five program with a solid brand that was trying to get back in the good ol’ boys club. Most tend to dismiss their chances because of where they are located compared to a Texas-centric league but, suddenly, there appears to be some very real momentum for the Northeast school.

Whether that is just because everybody is trying to jump in the pool of candidates or not remains to be seen, but UConn figures to be fully evaluated by Big 12 leaders. There is a solid all-around profile athletically to consider and the academic angle is likely something the leaders making decisions will examine closely. Whether those factors can outweigh being so far away from most schools is anybody’s guess.

If you are a UConn fan, you’re going to be pumping out your chest, wearing the school colors proudly and really rooting hard for the Big 12 to expand by four teams over the coming months. It seems pretty hard to see a far-flung conference adding another far-flung school if it only expands by two schools. If it’s four however, there’s a chance — a chance — that UConn winds up in that final four.<<

Reaction Score
Just for kicks the entire state if Ct is half the size of greater Houston
Take your Storrs blinders off .
The UConn Campus encompasses the entire state.

Not only was BB created in Springfield but Volleyball slso
But most importantly football was created in Ct by Ct native
Not only did he re-invent the game of Rugby to American tastes but through a series of Saturday Evening Posts articles created the football myth that quickly made it a national sport . Not a small part of that promotion was he term All-American ( you might have heard the term)
Football is our sport
It was so popular in the state when Yale was a major player they had to construct Yale Bowl to seat 70,000 largely local people 100 years ago.
It's an amazing structure,unimposing from the outside, but dug many stories into the ground.
Big time college football deserted the great fans in Ct that UConn could revive.

And for what it's worth the technique of dribbling a basketball was invented in New Britain in 1895.
New Britain, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reaction Score
Hi, BYU fan here. I am hoping that we will be conference mates in the near future, but I also realize that we're potential rivals for a spot right now so I don't want to cause a stir. I see us both as similar in that we both feel like we're vying for a spot in a conference that is somewhat removed from our prime fanbase -- BYU with the PAC and UCONN with the ACC or Big 10 would both seem more ideal. Regardless, our excitement is at a fever pitch right now and I love the idea of UCONN coming to a sold out, incredibly loud 19,000 seat Marriott Center.

There is some chatter about Colorado State as a potential school, which probably sounds as crazy to you as, say, a Temple might sound to us. I suppose the idea would be to keep the Big 12 in more contiguous states, but more than that, to go after the Denver market of course. I know that the Hartford market is nothing to scoff at whatsoever, but how confident do you feel about your ability to crossover and capture even a small portion of the Boston and/or NYC markets as well? While CSU is tempting to many BYU fans because of proximity, personally I would prefer a school with an established powerhouse basketball program and top-notch Olympic sports over one that doesn't bring much other than potential.

I know all of the candidate schools come with some misgivings, but one concern many of us have about UCONN is the likelihood of jumping to the ACC as soon as the opportune time comes down the road. We are speculating that perhaps a long GOR is being worked on to prevent that, but of course I know nothing.

In the end, I could live with any of the candidate schools, except that I hope Memphis isn't allowed to buy itself in. Good luck. It could very possibly be BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCONN, and that would be exciting.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Hi, BYU fan here. I am hoping that we will be conference mates in the near future, but I also realize that we're potential rivals for a spot right now so I don't want to cause a stir. I see us both as similar in that we both feel like we're vying for a spot in a conference that is somewhat removed from our prime fanbase -- BYU with the PAC and UCONN with the ACC or Big 10 would both seem more ideal. Regardless, our excitement is at a fever pitch right now and I love the idea of UCONN coming to a sold out, incredibly loud 19,000 seat Marriott Center.

There is some chatter about Colorado State as a potential school, which probably sounds as crazy to you as, say, a Temple might sound to us. I suppose the idea would be to keep the Big 12 in more contiguous states, but more than that, to go after the Denver market of course. I know that the Hartford market is nothing to scoff at whatsoever, but how confident do you feel about your ability to crossover and capture even a small portion of the Boston and/or NYC markets as well? While CSU is tempting to many BYU fans because of proximity, personally I would prefer a school with an established powerhouse basketball program and top-notch Olympic sports over one that doesn't bring much other than potential.

I know all of the candidate schools come with some misgivings, but one concern many of us have about UCONN is the likelihood of jumping to the ACC as soon as the opportune time comes down the road. We are speculating that perhaps a long GOR is being worked on to prevent that, but of course I know nothing.

In the end, I could live with any of the candidate schools, except that I hope Memphis isn't allowed to buy itself in. Good luck. It could very possibly be BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCONN, and that would be exciting.
Connecticut has 3.5 million residents, and UConn captures a lot of them. It is a similar size or better than several B12 states, like Oklahoma and Kansas, and doesn't share a fanbase with anyone else. Any additional market share of NY and Boston is a bonus. Agree on BYU, Cincy, UConn and Houston being the obvious choices (today).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Connecticut has 3.5 million residents, and UConn captures a lot of them. It is a similar size or better than several B12 states, like Oklahoma and Kansas, and doesn't share a fanbase with anyone else. Any additional market share of NY and Boston is a bonus. Agree on BYU, Cincy, UConn and Houston being the obvious choices (today).

Added bonus of Connecticut being one of the richest states in the country about 100 miles away from two of the richest cities in the country (Boston and New York). UConn is very advertiser friendly..

Reaction Score
B.J. Rains ‏@BJRains · 17h17 hours ago
Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson said two schools have told him they plan to send information to the Big 12.

B.J. Rains
@BJRains
Idaho Press-Tribune's Boise State football and basketball beat writer.

Reaction Score
If that's NOT to announce they're going to the Big 12 (and I doubt it is), it's a serious fail on their part

They announced expansion on 7/19 and they're ready to announce accepted new member(s) just 13 days later? The sloth-like Big 12? I think there's about a 2% chance this is about Big 12 acceptance.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score

We got you covered with this monstrosity currently nearing completion.

Hartford Connecticut Temple

It will be all ready for you to visit the next time BYU plays here.

Reaction Score
When you look at the demographics, it is pretty formidable. And if BYU and Cincy are 1A and 1B UConn should be damn glad there is a 4th school out there for either number 13 or 14.[/QUOTE]

Thsts 6,000,000 in the greater Houston area of 10,000 square miles
Enlarge Ct to those dimensions and the population is over 20,000,000
You say yes ,but the're not many UConn fans outside of the 3,500,000 population of Ct ,
They may be true but there is also is little competition to a P5 UConn in thst area
I will tell you even in the city of Houston itself of 2,000,000 they are second or third choice for loyalty
I can spin Houston's Demos any why I want to but that last fact is inescapable.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
When you look at the demographics, it is pretty formidable. And if BYU and Cincy are 1A and 1B UConn should be damn glad there is a 4th school out there for either number 13 or 14.

Thsts 6,000,000 in the greater Houston area of 10,000 square miles
Enlarge Ct to those dimensions and the population is over 20,000,000
You say yes ,but the're not many UConn fans outside of the 3,500,000 population of Ct ,
They may be true but there is also is little competition to a P5 UConn in thst area
I will tell you even in the city of Houston itself of 2,000,000 they are second or third choice for loyalty
I can spin Houston's Demos any why I want to but that last fact is inescapable.[/QUOTE]

Except nothing changes the fact that adding Houston does less for their conference media value than other schools such as UConn, Cincy, BYU and any directional FL school.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

UConn certainly captures part of the NY market (definitely does in basketball). Nobody captures all of it. But I'd wager that UConn may be as strong in NYC as CSU is in Denver, where Colorado is king, and CSU an afterthought. I don't think the Rams are a serious contender at this point.

Enjoyed playing BYU in football and I think UConn and BYU are the two strongest overall athletic departments among the contending schools, with Cinci third. Cinci has the best geography of those three however.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

UConn has a very good following the NYC and Boston. You may know that our home arena in Storrs, CT is Gampel Arena. Well Madison Square Garden in NYC is known as Gampel South. Our fan support there is amazing.

This video is from our Elite 8 against Michigan State at MSG:

It was basically a UConn home game despite the fact that Michigan State travels very well. AMTRAK scheduled a special train from Hartford just to handle the crowd going to the game. I think it is fair say we have a decent presence there.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom