Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 201 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Do people really do a lot of stuff at road games? Other than mixing in other sporting events I don't think I've ever done anything but go to the game and some bars.
I've hosted tailgates of 40-50 people at both Michigan and ND (bought a Joyce lot parking pass on eBay for that game), we have done smaller tailgates at the bowl games (usually find a sports bar that does catering packages and ordered a bunch of stuff).

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
well, certainly not in the regular season. not from the recent track record. we haven't even had the best record in the AAC yet...:confused:

tournament play, definitely
They can have their regular season accomplishments, they choke in the post season every year. 4>1 is what mostly matters.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Except KU has 3 national championships not 1

And I'd take that, plus being in the tournament something like the last 25 years in a row, plus the conference titles, over our record. It's a debatable point either way. I think we overemphasize NCs, because it's convenient for us. KU is #2 all time in wins. Anyone who thinks UConn is somehow "clearly" the top hoops program in the league if it joins the B12 is on crack.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've hosted tailgates of 40-50 people at both Michigan and ND (bought a Joyce lot parking pass on eBay for that game), we have done smaller tailgates at the bowl games (usually find a sports bar that does catering packages and ordered a bunch of stuff).

Yeah that's going to the game. It's not going to a MAC game in Ohio is more attractive because the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland. I'd rather visit Nebraska where there is nada because it's a lot better football game.

Reaction Score
And I'd take that, plus being in the tournament something like the last 25 years in a row, plus the conference titles, over our record. It's a debatable point either way. I think we overemphasize NCs, because it's convenient for us. KU is #2 all time in wins. Anyone who thinks UConn is somehow "clearly" the top hoops program in the league if it joins the B12 is on crack.

Agree 100%. As of right now Kansas is higher in basketball hierarchy based on historical performance over UConn

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Do people really do a lot of stuff at road games? Other than mixing in other sporting events I don't think I've ever done anything but go to the game and some bars.
I'm a mixed bag but about 30-40% vacations/sightseeing. For bus trips to Army and Cuse, not possible. Army in NYC - nope. BC? That's a home game for me. Toronto, St. Pete and Detroit were short trips. My honeymoon was planned around the USF game in 2010, that was a 10 day vacation. I had a 5 day Atlanta trip for the GT game in 2005 and 4 days for Charlotte in 2007. I took a Philly trip and hit the UConn - RU Sunday night game on the way home in 2006 I think. Had another Philly trip for Temple with the buddies that was mostly bars and cheesesteaks. For this year, BC is again a home game for me and I'll consider a good bowl destination for a family vacation (which would be 4+ days). If I don't take a bowl trip[ this year I'm probably booking a family vacation around the UCF game next year.

Reaction Score
Do people really do a lot of stuff at road games? Other than mixing in other sporting events I don't think I've ever done anything but go to the game and some bars.[/QUOT
Connecticut fans not so much,but were I live there are s lot of B1G fans. Talking to them.
The game was only a part of the experience
It's not unusual to bring the whole family and turn game day into a 3 or 4 day holiday.
I've entertained many land locked Midwesterners.
They usually wanted to see the Ocean snd have fresh seafood. Sometimes things you take for granted are huge for other people.
When I was in the Midwest I ate steak
I think the number of visitors to NYC from all over the country , even in the years I wouldn't go there, Is huge. Flying back from the south or Midwest I've talked to many people eager ,to see the Big City. Boston also is a destination and Connecticut is strategically in between.
(One of very many Options:
You fly out after work in Thursday direct to NYC
Friday see the sites ,Friday night dinner and a play.
Drive up to the game Saturday morning
Go back to the City for dinner a horse an buggy ride in the park than fly back Sunday. Great couple weekend where you not only saw the game you scored huge points with your partner ) Note thats one working day
NYC has tons if direct flights
So the opportunity to include other things into game day is a bonus.
Connecticut's compactness is a huge plus simply because of that variety.

Reaction Score
the foo's of CR....(the software censor won't let me post an "F" and a "U" together....(too bad for Fishy...limits him a little).

UConn...academic foo, M & W's basketball foo, market foo, brand foo

BYU...Mormon viewer foo, sober fans foo, football foo, brand foo

Cincinnati....market wishful thinking foo. Bearcats also have animal miscegenation foo, WVU rival foo

Memphis....Fedex foo, haircut foo...and that's all the foo

Houston....makes foo's of everyone but Texas if selected

I wonder how the Chambers of Commerce, restaurant, club and bar owners in the major bowl cities feel when they hear that BYU might one-day be forced on one of their cities?

"Dear Big XII,

You guys might want to think this through. What are South Beach, The French Quarter, et al
supposed to do when inundated with 30,000 teetotalers? You know the hundreds-of-millions
we say big-time bowl games bring to a city? Well, a huge chunk of that comes from booze and
parties. The last thing we need is 30,000 fans behaving like adults.

Thank You For Your Consideration,

The Bowl City Guys"

Seriously, check BYU's bowl history. It goes back 30-years and includes some really good teams. Most telling is the year BYU was undefeated, ranked number-one in both polls, running up huge total offense numbers behind a future Hall of Fame QB. Any other team with those credentials would have played in the Orange, Sugar or Cotton bowls against another top-five team. BYU had to settle for beating unranked Michigan in the Holiday Bowl. Pretty telling.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Seriously. "Cultural Fit." This means more than geography. Any Big 12 fan would feel right at home on the runway.

Reaction Score
Big 12 expansion: Basketball power rankings | Hookem.com

Yeah, it’s not even close. In terms of basketball, the Big 12 should be begging UConn to join the conference. They’d instantly rival Kansas as the best program in the conference and actually have more NCAA National Championships than the Jayhawks in basketball. UConn has won four titles since 1999.
Kevin Ollie is probably the greatest example of a coach taking over for a hall of fame coach. Since Jim Calhoun retired in 2012, Ollie is 97-44 with three tournament appearances and, oh yeah, a national championship.

UConn is a top 10 program in the nation along with Cincinnati should be ranked in the top 25 to start this season.

It's interesting the texas guy labeled that Oscar Robertson pic in the shoemaker center. That's a big12 slip up for a texas guy, photo is in lawrence kansas v kansas st., one of the most iconic bball pics of all time.

Reaction Score
Seriously. "Cultural Fit." This means more than geography. Any Big 12 fan would feel right at home on the runway.

Our tailgating is seriously underrated. Every time I bring a new person they're shocked. There's a reason students will go to the pregame and then drive 20 minutes back to campus without even going to the game. I mean, don't get me wrong it's counterproductive and is bad for the program, but it speaks volumes about the atmosphere.

Reaction Score
I wonder how the Chambers of Commerce, restaurant, club and bar owners in the major bowl cities feel when they hear that BYU might one-day be forced on one of their cities?

Seriously, check BYU's bowl history. It goes back 30-years and includes some really good teams. Most telling is the year BYU was undefeated, ranked number-one in both polls, running up huge total offense numbers behind a future Hall of Fame QB. Any other team with those credentials would have played in the Orange, Sugar or Cotton bowls against another top-five team. BYU had to settle for beating unranked Michigan in the Holiday Bowl. Pretty telling.

I believe BYU was contractually obligated to play in the Holiday Bowl as the winner of the Western Athletic Conference. As fans we were disappointed to not be able to play Oklahoma or Washington, but those schools opted not to play in the less prestigious, and lower paying Holiday Bowl, choosing to play in the more lucrative big bowls. I think you're wrong to make the connection with our fan's lifestyles though as to why we didn't play in the Sugar or Cotton Bowl. We were just making a name for ourselves back then, and didn't have the prestige of the schools with longer tradition. BYU did play in the Cotton Bowl a decade later, though.

As an independent, BYU has been able to contract with some decent bowls such as the Poinsettia Bowl where they will play in 2016 if they qualify. It's not a major bowl, but it's not too shabby for an independent team without the power of a conference behind them. We fans take pride in once making the Holiday Bowl what it is today, since BYU played in it so often in the '80s and '90s; and it's no secret that the Las Vegas Bowl in the 2000's has always welcomed the prospect of a BYU.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Our tailgating is seriously underrated. Every time I bring a new person they're shocked. There's a reason students will go to the pregame and then drive 20 minutes back to campus without even going to the game. I mean, don't get me wrong it's counterproductive and is bad for the program, but it speaks volumes about the atmosphere.

I want to know how to get from EH to Storrs in 20 minutes.

Reaction Score
Kansas can sell that their first bball coach was the man who created basketball. We can sell that we are close to the location where basketball was invented and the dribbling was invented in New Britain. Kansas is directly related to the development of the sport of basketball, our school is not. That makes Kansas truly a historical program.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Yep. Until they get picked because they act like they care and we play hard to get. I ain't buying our behind the scenes philosophy

Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN · 6h6 hours ago
@RyanECU That’s great, but I’ve never heard ECU mentioned as a serious candidate for Big 12. Don’t shoot the messenger

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN · 6h6 hours ago
@RyanECU I don’t speak for a lot of ESPN folks, only myself. All I know is I haven’t had 1 source ever mention ECU for Big 12. We’ll see

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom