Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 184 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
....and 2 former members want to come back? WTF
I'm sure there are some individuals (most likely, donors, former players / coaches) at Mizzou who want to come back to the B12 / plains. That's probably who Snyder was talking to, not presidents. The institution isn't going to turn down more free money, until the B12 makes more money than the SEC -- so, never. (See the Tramel article above. )

Reaction Score

What's not known is the motivation behind expansion:

• Is this a pure money-grab? The Big 12's television contracts say the networks will up the ante if the league expands. If the Big 12 expands to 12, it would get 20 percent more money from television, and the league wouldn't necessarily have to give all the extra proceeds to the new members.

• The Big 12 could negotiate with prospective members and invite the schools that accept the deal most advantageous to the conference. That would be quite short-sighted and disingenuous, but the Big 12 has been short-sighted before.

• The Big 12 could be serious about establishing a conference network, digitally as much as on traditional cable, and if so, the likes of Brigham Young and/or Connecticut would bring a lot of eyeballs and potential payouts.

• The Big 12 could be figuring out that a 10-team league with a championship game is on the goofy side, so it's going to shore up the league with the best football available, be it Houston or Cincinnati or whoever.

Who knows the answer, which might even be different for different schools. Hard to imagine a Kansas State or Iowa State or Baylor voting for a short-term plan. Schools with limited options want to see this league get strong and stay strong.

Here's when you know the Big 12 has reached real stability: when OU and Texas extend their grant of rights, the way the ACC did.

Reaction Score
Now comes the time to really #BegHarder. Anything has to be on the table. Offer to take a 1/2 share for 10 years.

Here I was thinking that I could disconnect while I'm on vacation next week. Not so much anymore . . .

Reaction Score
Robert Powell‏@RPTexan
@DanWolken Don't you think UCF & USF could be sleeping giants? Huge alumni base, + FL recruiting = more attractive

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 19m19 minutes ago
My question about sleeping giants is why they tend to always be asleep.

Reaction Score
David Ubben ‏@davidubben · 5h5 hours ago
Boren: "It appears we live in a very fast-changing world. Reports on the ACC indicate some exploration of some platforms."

David Ubben ‏@davidubben · 5h5 hours ago
Back in June, the Big 12 said "the market" decided a Big 12 network wouldn't happen. After ACC news yesterday ... maybe not.

Reaction Score
The most interesting tweet of the entire day...

Geoff Ketchum
@gkketch
Texas source on Big 12 expansion news: "Maybe we get a 'get out of conference free card' for going along."

Texas negotiated their way out of the B12 by allowing expansion so other schools like Oklahoma State can remain in a P5 Conference. This would mean Texas and Oklahoma are leaving for the B1G since Boren is allowing Bowlsby take over for expansion.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Robert Powell‏@RPTexan
@DanWolken Don't you think UCF & USF could be sleeping giants? Huge alumni base, + FL recruiting = more attractive

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 19m19 minutes ago
My question about sleeping giants is why they tend to always be asleep.
Ouch.

Reaction Score
BYU Cougars ‏@BYUCougars · 4h4 hours ago
Statement from @TomHolmoe on the Big 12 announcing it will continue to explore expansion ...
Cnw7FSSUAAABEPd.jpg

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Does anyone know who the "official" list of candidates is yet?

Reaction Score
Stewart Mandel‏@slmandel
This is really surreal to listen to. I swear Boren is saying the exact opposite of everything he said about $$$, expansion a month ago.

Jon Solomon ‏@JonSolomonCBS · 5h5 hours ago
Lesson #1 of the Big 12: The less you try to deeply analyze its wackiness, the better off for your sanity.

Kellis Robinett‏@KellisRobinett
David Boren: "We cannot sit on the sidelines and not be proactive."

Jon Solomon ‏@JonSolomonCBS · 5h5 hours ago
Didn't Boren say this was a REACTION to ACC news?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Jake Trotter ‏@Jake_Trotter · 4h4 hours ago
Boren names six factors for Big 12 expansion: Strength of athletic program, fan base, media market, reputation, academic standing.
How
Can
They
Not
Pick
UConn
Doomed

Reaction Score
This will happen fast.

This isn't waiting until November.
What's your thinking on what happens? Everyone attached to conference Realignment always says it's about eyeballs/money and a winning tradition. I still have no clue how we can be in this position when that's the criteria. I'm pretty clueless on this stuff, please give me some reason to feel hopeful.

Reaction Score
What's your thinking on what happens? Everyone attached to conference Realignment always says it's about eyeballs/money and a winning tradition. I still have no clue how we can be in this position when that's the criteria. I'm pretty clueless on this stuff, please give me some reason to feel hopeful.

I'm not saying UConn is the choice. I tend to think the B12 really doesn't care about anything but making ESPN pay after they were clearly lied to.

I am saying that drawing things out at this point serves no one, especially since the B12 wants the contract for 2017. They can do this in a week.

Remember, after Maryland left the ACC, the ball rolled really really quickly.

I give this a month before the secret vote happens.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Declaring BCS bowl participation as a factor bodes well for UConn, Cincy and UCF.

I still say UConn, Cincy, UCF and USF make sense to balance the conference between Eastern and Central Time Zones. Plus it gives B12 schools not named Texas or Oklahoma.a better access to Florida for recruiting.

Reaction Score
Thamel: BYU, Cincinnati, and UConn are leaders for Big 12 expansion

Big 12 expansion looks to be a near certainty

“They’re going to open it up like an auction,” one Big 12 source said. “They don’t want it to be like they’re out there soliciting schools.”

Hmmm... So what should we offer? Free Dairy Bar ice cream for all Big 12 teams on campus during their trips and playing Texas in Yankee Stadium could be a nice starting olive branch.

Also important-

They showed how four new teams combined with the addition of a conference championship game could add nearly one billion additional dollars before the league’s deal with ESPN and Fox expires in 2025.

Four teams looks like the way to go.

Reaction Score
They showed how four new teams combined with the addition of a conference championship game could add nearly one billion additional dollars before the league’s deal with ESPN and Fox expires in 2025.

Four teams looks like the way to go.

Dodd's story from last month:

Big 12 could earn an additional $1 billion through expansion

DALLAS -- Big 12 administrators will be presented with information this week at the league's spring meetings that expansion could earn the conference at least an additional $1 billion over the length of its remaining TV rights contract, CBS Sports has learned.

If the league expands by four teams, provisions in its contracts with ESPN and Fox provide money for that benchmark. If the expansion is by two teams, the increase would be $500 million.

Those rightsholders are contractually bound to provide "pro rata" for any new Big 12 members. That is, any new members would be paid an equal share of the current Big 12 members -- approximately $23 million per year.

While on its face that doesn't necessarily help the 10 current members of the Big 12, opening the existing contract would allow for a negotiation beyond that $1 billion figure.

Most importantly, it would satisfy one of the conference's key concerns: Falling behind the other Power Five conferences in revenue.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Dodd's story from last month:

DALLAS -- Big 12 administrators will be presented with information this week at the league's spring meetings that expansion could earn the conference at least an additional $1 billion over the length of its remaining TV rights contract, CBS Sports has learned.

If the league expands by four teams, provisions in its contracts with ESPN and Fox provide money for that benchmark. If the expansion is by two teams, the increase would be $500 million.

Those rightsholders are contractually bound to provide "pro rata" for any new Big 12 members. That is, any new members would be paid an equal share of the current Big 12 members -- approximately $23 million per year.

While on its face that doesn't necessarily help the 10 current members of the Big 12, opening the existing contract would allow for a negotiation beyond that $1 billion figure.

Most importantly, it would satisfy one of the conference's key concerns: Falling behind the other Power Five conferences in revenue.

I read this article as saying that ESPN and Fox will cover the cost of the new teams, not that they will give the Big 12 $23 million a team and the Big 12 can figure out how much it wants to pay the new teams.

Reaction Score
Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS · 9m9 minutes ago
After sleeping on it, my four new Big 12 teams would be Cincinnati, Houston, UConn and BYU. Have East/West divisions in 2017.

Brian Davis
@BDavisAAS

Covers the Texas Longhorns for the Austin American-Statesman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom