Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 183 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

First on the list is Cincinnati, which has done nothing to hide its courtship. The Bearcats have strong revenue programs and would make a logical geographic partner to current outlier West Virginia.

Connecticut will get more serious consideration than some imagine both because of its proximity to the New York media market and the presence of its powerhouse men’s and women’s basketball program.

Houston may seem obvious to some, given its Southwest Conference roots and current football renaissance under coach Tom Herman, but Texas and likely TCU are believed to strongly object. As we’ve seen, though, things change.

UCF is a potential wild card. Tapping into Florida recruiting footholds and TV sets is tempting, but to this point there hasn’t been much buzz about the Knights.

And then there’s BYU, with its massive fan base, proud history and Power 5-caliber facilities. Many Cougars fans believe they should have been invited five years ago. But BYU, with its religious mission, is a much different institution than the others, one that brings with it scheduling difficulties (no games on Sunday).

Bowlsby indicated a potential vote could come sometime this fall, which means we can look forward to several months of wild speculation. It also gives Big 12 leaders plenty of time to change their minds again. And again.

Reaction Score

968.gif

Reaction Score
John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover · 52m52 minutes ago
John E. Hoover: Big 12 begins expansion process

Bowlsby said it will be a two-stage process. The first is a preliminary examination of all the potential candidates, the second is a deep-diving, fact-finding mission that will eventually include negotiations.

“Other conferences have grown, other advantages have come to them,” Boren said. “… Financial advantages, competitive advantages, opportunities to play for national championships.

“It’s a forward step. It’s a positive step. It’s not yet a decision … but it’s definitely a forward step and I think it shows momentum on the board to very seriously consider this as a possibility.”

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I totally agree with this view on Temple. Remember Philly market includes PA and NJ and UConn's market includes metro New York and New England.

They've got fertile recruiting grounds with NJ and eastern PA. Good football and basketball. Terrible attendance. Low athletic revenue. Would be a tough sell for sure, but better than Memphis or a directional Florida

Reaction Score
The BYU football only option as one of 4 teams sort of could make sense. It would remove the no games on Sundays issue for their other sports. I REALLY didn't want to start following all this CR BS again but here we go - I cant take another massive kick to the nads (Rule 1)

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 4h4 hours ago
Just scattershooting a half-dozen Big 12 candidates: BYU, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, Colorado State, UConn.

George Cain ‏@GCain18 · 4h4 hours ago  Wheeling, WV
@ChuckCarltonDMN no Florida schools?

Chuck Carlton
‏@ChuckCarltonDMN
@GCain18 Not ruling it out. But I think other schools are probably better positioned. But things getting serious soon.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 4h4 hours ago
Just scattershooting a half-dozen Big 12 candidates: BYU, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, Colorado State, UConn.

George Cain ‏@GCain18 · 4h4 hours ago  Wheeling, WV
@ChuckCarltonDMN no Florida schools?

Chuck Carlton
‏@ChuckCarltonDMN
@GCain18 Not ruling it out. But I think other schools are probably better positioned. But things getting serious soon.
What is the timeline supposed to be for choosing who to expand with?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
What is the timeline supposed to be for choosing who to expand with?

They said they'd meet again before the scheduled Board of Directors meetings in November. They said they'd try to possibly get teams in for football in 2017, so I'd imagine it would have to be this fall.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
They said they'd meet again before the scheduled Board of Directors meetings in November. They said they'd try to possibly get teams in for football in 2017, so I'd imagine it would have to be this fall.
Sweet. I just hope rule 1 doesn't see us on the outside looking in.

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 1h1 hour ago
Filed to CBS Sports re: expansion. The teams don’t matter in B12 expansion, the math does.
Big 12 expansion now alive, well and likely after being presumed dead

From the story:

A bang-up presentation by Big 12 television consultants Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures and Navigate Research changed hearts and minds in a conference that had indicated expansion was all but dead.

For now, the usual suspects have renewed hope -- BYU, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Houston, Memphis, UCF and UConn. An educated guess on the top two at this point?

BYU and an American Athletic Conference team.

What could emerge is a bidding war to see who will take less. Any new members would be phased in to the Big 12, taking something less than a full revenue share for a period of years.

Bowlsby added that football-only members are possible but not likely.

"There's several teams in the AAC and Mountain West that were BCS teams just five years ago," Bowlsby said. "Those are just monickers."

He was referring to the likes of Boise State, Cincinnati, UCF and UConn, which either went to BCS bowls and/or were in previous BCS automatic qualifier conferences.

With expansion, Big 12 football almost assuredly gets worse. It doesn't care.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Sweet. I just hope rule 1 doesn't see us on the outside looking in.

Maybe I'm just hopelessly optimistic, but I like our chances. We're just so much better than the majority of choices. Only team that's at all a better choice IMO is BYU with their football history.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm just hopelessly optimistic, but I like our chances. We're just so much better than the majority of choices. Only team that's at all a better choice IMO is BYU with their football history.
I don't think BYU gets in because of their stubbornness and arrogance; I don't see the FL directionals because they're directionals; I don't see Houston because they are another TX school; that leaves us and Cincy; I'll take that.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 1h1 hour ago
Filed to CBS Sports re: expansion. The teams don’t matter in B12 expansion, the math does.
Big 12 expansion now alive, well and likely after being presumed dead

From the story:

A bang-up presentation by Big 12 television consultants Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures and Navigate Research changed hearts and minds in a conference that had indicated expansion was all but dead.

For now, the usual suspects have renewed hope -- BYU, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Houston, Memphis, UCF and UConn. An educated guess on the top two at this point?

BYU and an American Athletic Conference team.

What could emerge is a bidding war to see who will take less. Any new members would be phased in to the Big 12, taking something less than a full revenue share for a period of years.

Bowlsby added that football-only members are possible but not likely.

"There's several teams in the AAC and Mountain West that were BCS teams just five years ago," Bowlsby said. "Those are just monickers."

He was referring to the likes of Boise State, Cincinnati, UCF and UConn, which either went to BCS bowls and/or were in previous BCS automatic qualifier conferences.

With expansion, Big 12 football almost assuredly gets worse. It doesn't care.

Love Bolsby's quote hear regarding recent BCS status...it seems to indicate that he values and recognizes the brand that is UConn. If it is, as Dodd posits, a battle between several AAC teams for one slot, that would eliminate all others except UC. We offer a way better TV market and revenue, but we'll see.

Reaction Score
Ames Tribune Sports ‏@AmesTribSports · 23m23 minutes ago
Column from @BobbyLaGesse: Why Big 12 expansion is good for ISU
La Gesse Column: Why Big 12 expansion is good for ISU

From the article:

Houston appears to be the best choice for the Big 12. The usual suspects of BYU, Cincinnati and Colorado State will no doubt come calling.

Never rule out the unexpected in expansion. No one ever envisioned Maryland or Rutgers in the Big Ten, and a report already came of Big 12 media days that two former Big 12 members told Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder they would be interested in a return to the league.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Jake Trotter ‏@Jake_Trotter · 4h4 hours ago
Boren names six factors for Big 12 expansion: Strength of athletic program, fan base, media market, reputation, academic standing.
How
Can
They
Not
UConn
Soomed

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Jake Trotter ‏@Jake_Trotter · 4h4 hours ago
Boren names six factors for Big 12 expansion: Strength of athletic program, fan base, media market, reputation, academic standing.
I have seen this all day- there are only 5 factors listed!!

Reaction Score
Ames Tribune Sports ‏@AmesTribSports · 23m23 minutes ago
Column from @BobbyLaGesse: Why Big 12 expansion is good for ISU
La Gesse Column: Why Big 12 expansion is good for ISU

From the article:

Houston appears to be the best choice for the Big 12. The usual suspects of BYU, Cincinnati and Colorado State will no doubt come calling.

Never rule out the unexpected in expansion. No one ever envisioned Maryland or Rutgers in the Big Ten, and a report already came of Big 12 media days that two former Big 12 members told Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder they would be interested in a return to the league.

If you post one more article that says Houston appears to be the best choice, so help me, I will get you banished to the women's BB board. Head bang

....and 2 former members want to come back? WTF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom