Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 182 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 16m16 minutes ago
David Boren said Bob Bowlsby will “recontact those schools that have contacted us. Evaluate what proposals they may make” about joining B12

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 13m13 minutes ago
There are 63 FBS schools interested in joining Big 12. Good luck getting ahold of Bob Bowlsby for next few months

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 12m12 minutes ago
David Boren: “If we are to expand, we want to find the strongest partners: fan base, TV following, also academic standing"

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

IF this turns out to be accurate, big IF -- it's an about face from a month ago and UConn is back in a decent position (assuming say, UCF / Florida recruiting isn't driving the bus). What would make it a REALLY good position would be if they add four instead of two, because Cincy, BYU might still be their top two.

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs ‏@jacobscourant · 18m18 minutes ago
Wow. 1 strike of ACC lightning and Big 12 went from making linear networks sound passe to realistic. Considering 2-4 teams. Gives UConn hope

Jeff Jacobs ‏@jacobscourant · 18m18 minutes ago
Then again the Big 12 may announce in two weeks that expansion is dead. Conference has made fools of speculators.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 18m18 minutes ago
Based on the tone of these statements, it would be SHOCKING if they changed minds now. They are ready to expand.

Jeff Jacobs‏@jacobscourant
@DanWolken Today. I agree. Let's check back in a week.

Reaction Score
Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 38m38 minutes ago
Boren: We want the commissioner to evaluate what proposals expansion candidates might make. (Fred Smith on Line 1)

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 37m37 minutes ago
Maybe I’m not quite interpreting this right, but Boren is making it sound like the Big 12 is literally $oliciting bid$.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 35m35 minutes ago
Big 12 isn’t just looking at expanding by two. Expanding by four is on the table.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 33m33 minutes ago
Bowlsby: “I don’t know I’m prepared to put a time frame on it right now. We intend to be active very soon."

Folks, it’s happening.

Bowlsby: “Our board evaluated the data and saw the path forward clearly."

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 28m28 minutes ago
Bored said specifically expansion by 2 or 4 is being looked at.

George Schroeder ‏@GeorgeSchroeder · 29m29 minutes ago
Remarkable: In 1 meeting, Big 12 has gone from multiple officials saying expansion would be tabled to all but saying expansion is coming.

Mike Finger ‏@mikefinger · 28m28 minutes ago
Less than 24 hours ago there was talk of kicking a school out of the Big 12 but now they're awesome & here to stay and we're adding 4 more.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 24m24 minutes ago
Boren: “It’s a statement we want to move forward. We’ve had discussion on attributes of schools that have come to us…it’s not a decision."

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 24m24 minutes ago
Boren is saying, again, that the Big 12 essentially wants schools to bid against themselves. Who’s going to make the Big 12 the most money?

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel · 22m22 minutes ago
You know who's really going to be shocked by today's news: Big 12 ADs.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 18m18 minutes ago
This expansionpalooza is gonna be amazing. The Big 12 is going to pull 2 or 4 schools from the poor house to $30 million a year.

timmy_smalls‏@timmy_smalls
Media sure was all over this big 12 expansion news.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 16m16 minutes ago
The environment changed last night when the ACC Grant of Rights/Network news hit.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 12m12 minutes ago
Bowlsby: “We’re looking for members that will grow over time as we grow and bring stability and have a high top end."

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 2m2 minutes ago
Text from connected person in industry brings up a great point. There are AD and presidents whose jobs on the line now, big-time.

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 46m46 minutes ago
Big 12 exploring whether it’s worth it to add 2 or 4 teams. The $1 billion worm has turned.

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 41m41 minutes ago
Bowlsby: "We intend to exercise the full prerogative of what we negotiated” in terms of pro rata. Wow.

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 39m39 minutes ago
After the ACC got its network (and possibly its Notre Dame), the Big 12 is figuring: What the hell, they HAVE to pay us.

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 35m35 minutes ago
Boren: “It’s a statement from the board we want to move forward (with expansion).”

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 33m33 minutes ago
Well, there goes my fall. #expansion

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 27m27 minutes ago
What a wacky day. The Big 12 might actually have 12 teams soon.

Reaction Score
George Schroeder ‏@GeorgeSchroeder · 29m29 minutes ago
Remarkable: In 1 meeting, Big 12 has gone from multiple officials saying expansion would be tabled to all but saying expansion is coming.
They didn't all but say it's occurring, they said it's occurring. Unless there's some seismic shift elsewhere in the collegiate landscape (ie B1G inviting Texas or ND) the Big 12 will expand. They've gone too far down the road in this presser to not. This is the first time anyone from the conference, in addition to a member, has publicly stated that expansion is on the table, listed criteria for candidates, gave a rough time outline, and gave a more solid estimate of how many to expand by, and said they're going to directly start speaking with potential members. They did everything in the expansion game besides name schools. It will happen in some capacity.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
They didn't all but say it's occurring, they said it's occurring. Unless there's some seismic shift elsewhere in the collegiate landscape (ie B1G inviting Texas or ND) the Big 12 will expand. They've gone too far down the road in this presser to not. This is the first time anyone from the conference, in addition to a member, has publicly stated that expansion is on the table, listed criteria for candidates, gave a rough time outline, and gave a more solid estimate of how many to expand by, and said they're going to directly start speaking with potential members. They did everything in the expansion game besides name schools. It will happen in some capacity.
This is the moment in high school where the girl you had a crush on all year finally breaks up with her boyfriend.

And a week later you find out she's dating your best friend now.

Reaction Score
I'll never believe anything the B12 says until they do it. Expansion is a go today. Wait until tomorrow, things may change.

Now, if you've ever been one to think UConn twiddled its thumbs while UL got an ACC bid, this is your time to worry. The B12 has basically said, "we're listening, let's see what you've got". I can't say that I feel confident we know how to play this game. I am really hoping Benedict is one smart, persuasive and manipulative SOB right about now.

Reaction Score
John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover · 39m39 minutes ago
Bowlsby: "It's possible this could extend to our Oct. board meeting, possible we could have special meeting before then."

John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover · 39m39 minutes ago
Bob: "It'll be 17-18 with the first year of the football playoff."

John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover · 38m38 minutes ago
Big 12 targeting expansion for '17-18 season, per that last Bowlsby comment.

John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover · 31m31 minutes ago

Boren: "We're not looking at any one factor...competitive factor, access to media markets, reputation of institutions, academic standards."

John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover · 29m29 minutes ago
Bowlsby: "We are looking for members that will grow over time as we grow...that will have a high top-end."

John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover · 28m28 minutes ago
Boren: "We're looking at schools that not only have arrived competitively but have huge potential."

John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover · 24m24 minutes ago
Boren: "We don't know all the details yet about all the agreements with the ACC...It had an impact, of course...Changing environment."

John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover · 23m23 minutes ago
Boren: "The Big 12 has not gone out and initiated conversations with other schools...sometimes you want to change your cell phone number."

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 12m12 minutes ago
Bowlsby: “We’re looking for members that will grow over time as we grow and bring stability and have a high top end."

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 2m2 minutes ago
Text from connected person in industry brings up a great point. There are AD and presidents whose jobs on the line now, big-time.

Not UConn's, if we don't get in see: UL to ACC. No pressure Suzie.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Boren: "We're not looking at any one factor...competitive factor, access to media markets, reputation of institutions, academic standards."

Bowlsby: "We are looking for members that will grow over time as we grow...that will have a high top-end."

Boren: "We're looking at schools that not only have arrived competitively but have huge potential."
:)

Reaction Score

:)
U C O N N UCONN UCONN UCONN

Reaction Score
Hopefully we are reminding them that UConn had crap athletics before the 90s and have excelled at everything since, regardless of the recent lagging of football. We went to the Fiesta bowl only a few years into have an FBS squad, so it is evident the potential is there. Now, whether or not the Big 12 recognizes this is a different story.

I like how much I'm hearing Academics as well. That puts us in a great position.

Reaction Score
We're the only team that hoists national championship trophies on national TV just about every year. Granted it's in basketball, but how can that not be valuable? Never mind media markets and academics and a school and athletic department that is well run, respected, and, most importantly these days, generally free of embarrassing controversy that's going to be splashed across screens nationwide as a news headline. What was the biggest scandal at UConn this year? The drunk kid throwing a fit for mac 'n' cheese?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I thought Blauds was throwing * at the wall / and or insane but if Dodds reports Bowlsby said it's on the table, maybe Blauds was way ahead of the curve?????

Good for BYU (also probably boost for Boise, Colorado State), but why would the BXII take UConn football and not basketball?

(Well... it is the Big 12)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I thought Blauds was throwing * at the wall / and or insane but if Dodds reports Bowlsby said it's on the table, maybe Blauds was way ahead of the curve?????

Good for BYU, but why would the BXII take UConn football and not basketball?

(Well... it is the Big 12)

BYU BSU football only
UC UConn all sports

Reaction Score
Go Ralph G0!

Ralph D. Russo@ralphDrussoAP 2 hours ago
Colorado State Houston Cincinnati UConn There you go. That's my guess for the Big 12.

Joe Dapper@JoeDapps 1 hour ago
@ralphDrussoAP@AP_Top25 Good luck getting the Texas B12 schools to agree to travel to Connecticut for all sports. Not happening.

Ralph D. Russo@ralphDrussoAP39 mins ago
UConn's got academics. Big alumni base. State support. Gets a foot into a big new market.

Reaction Score
I'll never believe anything the B12 says until they do it. Expansion is a go today. Wait until tomorrow, things may change.

Now, if you've ever been one to think UConn twiddled its thumbs while UL got an ACC bid, this is your time to worry. The B12 has basically said, "we're listening, let's see what you've got". I can't say that I feel confident we know how to play this game. I am really hoping Benedict is one smart, persuasive and manipulative SOB right about now.
He seems to be very passive, "monitor the situation type", like Warde. We all know how that turned out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom