Kermit Buggs - New RB Coach? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Kermit Buggs - New RB Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Imagine if this guy actually played QB, maybe the niners wouldn't have such a QB controversy.

http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches/geep-chryst/3ac62f4d-a289-46f6-bc9f-031f34771f8c
...Chryst helped guide QB Alex Smith to his best NFL season in 2011. Smith set career highs in passing yards (3,144), completions (273), and passer rating (90.7). He also set the franchise record for fewest interceptions thrown in a single-season with just five. Smith’s five interceptions are tied for third in NFL history (min. 400 atts.) and his interception percentage of 1.1 also ranks third in NFL history (min. 400 atts.). Most importantly, he posted a 14-4 overall record as the starter, in 2011.

With over 20 years of coaching experience, including 18 years in the NFL, Chryst most recently served as the tight ends/offensive quality control coach for the Carolina Panthers (2006-10). In 2009, Chryst was part of an offensive coaching staff that helped the Panthers become the first team in the history of the NFL to garner two running backs with more than 1,100 yards rushing in the same season. His tight end unit also posted the most productive receiving season for Panthers tight ends in a decade that year.

Before joining Carolina in 2006, Chryst served as the Arizona Cardinals quarterbacks coach (2001-03) and San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach (1999-2000). Chryst implemented the no-huddle offense in San Diego in 1999, which led to Harbaugh enjoying the second-highest passing output (2,761 passing yards) of his 15-year career. The Chargers also completed the most passes (332) in 13 years with Chryst directing the offense and Harbaugh became the first quarterback in team history since Hall of Famer Dan Fouts to pass for 400 yards in a game, that year.

Chryst spent three seasons with the Cardinals, serving as the team’s tight ends coach from 1996-97 before becoming the quarterbacks coach in 1998. He began his NFL coaching career with the Chicago Bears in 1991 as the director of research/quality control, a position he held until 1995. In the spring of 1992, Chryst, after being out of uniform for eight years, took a 15-day hiatus from the Bears to long snap in three playoff games for the short-handed Orlando Thunder of the World League. Interestingly, he had made his professional coaching debut with the Thunder in 1991, serving as the wide receivers/running backs coach.

Chryst began his coaching career at University of Wisconsin-Platteville in 1987 before moving over to the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1988. Chryst then spent two years at the University of Wyoming, serving as the offensive line coach in 1989 and the quarterbacks coach in 1990.

A three-year starter at linebacker for Princeton University, Chryst also played baseball for two seasons for the Tigers. He earned a bachelor’s degree in history from Princeton as well as a master’s degree in educational administration from the University of Wisconsin.

Certainly fair, although I think it would be more fair to stick to college.

Reaction Score
Certainly fair, although I think it would be more fair to stick to college.

The coaching ranks are littered with coaches who played that position in college and who didn't. In many cases they were more talented than the players they are coaching and in many cases they wouldn't even be a scout team player at the school they are coaching. What does all of that tell us about their ability to do the job today? Virtually nothing.

The physical ability to play is not a requirement for the ability to coach. Sure it may help, but to pass judgment on a hire on that flimsy basis prior to the man running a meeting, coaching a practice, or sitting down to recruit a player is plain stupid.

Reaction Score
The coaching ranks are littered with coaches who played that position in college and who didn't. In many cases they were more talented than the players they are coaching and in many cases they wouldn't even be a scout team player at the school they are coaching. What does all of that tell us about their ability to do the job today? Virtually nothing.

The physical ability to play is not a requirement for the ability to coach. Sure it may help, but to pass judgment on a hire on that flimsy basis prior to the man running a meeting, coaching a practice, or sitting down to recruit a player is plain stupid.

Point about whether a coach played the position himself conceded.

What about hiring a coach with RB coach experience?

I believe Pasqualoni wanted Andre Powell, former Clemson RB coach, and former Indiana RB himself, to take the job, but he decided on Maryland instead.

I think White was a huge stretch.

I think Buggs is a recruiting hire, but maybe he'll work out just fine.

Reaction Score

What about hiring a coach with RB coach experience?quote]

You mean like this?:)

2003-2006 Offensive Graduate Assistant
The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA

2004-2006 In charge of the Running Backs
Game Day Duties: Personnel substitutions and play signals

2003 In charge of the Tight Ends
Game Day Duties: Press box Play Charting and coverage identification.

Reaction Score

He was not the RB coach at Penn State from 2004-2006. He was a grad assistant. Personnel substitutions? As in, "Hey, 42, you're in", and "Hey, 24, you're out"?

The point has been well made that Buggs does not need to have been a RB himself to be a good RB coach.

But that's not the type of experience I'm talking about.

How about experience like Tyree Foreman?

http://www.owlsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=895

He probably would have been my pick. I'll have to back Buggs, and hope I'm wrong.

I happen to think position coaches matter. That's my opinion.

I think part of the reason we went from Caulley, to Brockington, Brown, Dixon, Todman and McCombs was Terry Richardson. (Richardson did coach McCombs as a Red Shirt).

I also think part of the reason our WR's have struggled so mightily over the years was Sos.

I think QB play was improving at UConn under Moorhead.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
A three-year starter at linebacker for Princeton University, Chryst also played baseball for two seasons for the Tigers. He earned a bachelor’s degree in history from Princeton as well as a master’s degree in educational administration from the University of Wisconsin.

Completely irrelevant.

I happen to know that he played 5 games at QB in peewee football. And has played TONS of Madden.

So he DOES have QB experience.

Reaction Score

What about hiring a coach with RB coach experience?

I believe Pasqualoni wanted Andre Powell, former Clemson RB coach, and former Indiana RB himself, to take the job, but he decided on Maryland instead.

I think White was a huge stretch.

I think Buggs is a recruiting hire, but maybe he'll work out just fine.

Sure, experience (with a proven track record) is almost always preferred. I would hope that Powell would have been our first choice. I'm just saying it's a little early to declare the hire a failure.

I think White got an incomplete. I think it's safe to say he didn't have final say on substitutions.

If Buggs is a recruiting hire, and he excels in that role, then it's a great hire. With the conference situation what it is, and our recent win/loss record what it is, we are going to need great recruiters.

Reaction Score
I happen to think position coaches matter. That's my opinion.

I agree, but I also believe that position coaches matter less for RBs. Aside from blocking technique (and knowing who to block), most of the skills that make a good RB are athletic. You can't teach speed, agility, and vision. I think the RB position is mainly one of athleticism, and there's not a ton of coaching relative to other positions. OL/DL require a lot of technique and leverage. QBs obviously get a ton of coaching. DBs/LBs need to know assignments, techniques, etc. I don't think an RB coach is going to have the impact an OL , QB, or maybe even TE coach would.

But I agree they matter, and your concerns that we couldn't land someone with more experience is fair and reasonable.

Reaction Score
He's got a twitter account @KBuggs4

There are a lot of people congratulating him on a new coaching position.....looks like it may be official soon

Kermit E. Buggs (@KBuggs4)
1/23/13, 9:24 PM
To all my new #UCONN followers! Thx for accepting me into the family! Proud to be a Husky! #UCONNfootball

Reaction Score
No I don't.

He should resign before Warde has to fire him. He is destroying UConn football.

So we're still short one coach. Maybe P is saving best for last.

-ZooCougar

You need to cut Coach P some slack. He was contracted to build a program and you just don't wave a magic wand and make it happen overnight so you can sit there and pout and stamp your feet and act like a spoiled 5 year old all you want. If Burton couldn't get his way what do you think your hate rants are going to accomplish? LOL...what a joke!

Reaction Score
If you read this board, fhcRE built a program at Uconn. PP was hired to take it to the next level, which was assumed to be up.

Pasqualoni was state of the art when Clinton was still President. He is the Laser Tag of coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom