Kermit Buggs - New RB Coach? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kermit Buggs - New RB Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Starting to think HFD had the right idea. When they create his job description do they say unemployed or volunteer experience required.

Anyone wonder why we haven't got a DC yet? Are we waiting to see if congress extends unemployment benefits?

Reaction Score
Yep, he is from Hampton Roads, Tidewater, Norfolk area. Went to Norfolk State University.

Dollars to donuts that's his recruiting area.

I like the hire. Seems like I am in the minority. Did a quick google search and see that he was well liked by his players and recruits really liked him. Was able to get two highly rated prospects out of CT.

Reaction Score
I like the hire. Seems like I am in the minority. Did a quick google search and see that he was well liked by his players and recruits really liked him. Was able to get two highly rated prospects out of CT.

I think we may have just gotten really lucky, twice. Trifecta anyone?

Reaction Score
A running back needs to know where a play is supposed to go. A rb coach can't make a rb faster, and he can't teach him vision.
I TOTALLY disagree with what seems to be your lack of value a TRUE RB coach provides... When TRichardson was here our backfield wasn't too shabby... Ever since he left we looked like crap... One 5'8 160lb RB to carry the load.... So, BS to the lack of importance of having a TRUE RB...

Reaction Score
I TOTALLY disagree with what seems to be your lack of value a TRUE RB coach provides... When TRichardson was here our backfield wasn't too shabby... Ever since he left we looked like crap... One 5'8 160lb RB to carry the load.... So, BS to the lack of importance of having a TRUE RB...

You fail to mention mention the o-line and o-coordinator changes @ same time.

Don't get me wrong - would love to have TR back but I guess he didn't apply.

Reaction Score

Not understanding. What does the fact we had one running back to carry the load have to do with the rb coach? Do you think if Richardson was the rb coach, McCombs would have had a markedly better year? Why?

pj

Reaction Score
Terry Richardson, a former RB, was an effective RB coach and recruiter at UConn, again at Miami (http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=205558297). Tyrone Wheatley, former RB, has been an effective RB coach and recruiter at Syracuse, beating out UConn for Gus Edwards and Laray Smith too if Marrone hadn't left. I could multiply examples but it seems like former RBs make better RB coaches and better RB recruiters than guys who never played RB.

Reaction Score
Don't know how to feel about this one. Former QB that has spent the majority of the last decade on the defensive side of the ball becoming our RB coach. Also, the fact that he spent the last decade on the Penn State staff.....ughh!....I guess I'll just defer to the experts and hope for the best...

Flip him w/ Perkins who was a RB @ Wyoming and has spent the last many years on the defense side of the ball ;)

This coaching carousel still isn't done in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Not understanding. What does the fact we had one running back to carry the load have to do with the rb coach? Do you think if Richardson was the rb coach, McCombs would have had a markedly better year? Why?

Having one RB carry the load has nothing to do with the production of one rb... but with T Rich we had several guys that could play... Right now, for the past 2 years we've only had ONE rb that has contributed significantly... Nothing to do with yardage production.. OVERALL production... we've always had 2 backs in the past that could play... Not anymore...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Offensive line is a different animal than WR and RB. I would say of all the position coaches on a team, WR and RB have the least impact on their units.

At least at Uconn that is true.

The RB coach needs to teach the kids how to read blocks, find holes and how to function as a pass catcher and as a blocker. But it's not the hardest job.

A WR coach is essential to WR's developing in college. Everything from footwork, cuts, reading DB's positioning, hot routes, etc.

Reaction Score
Serious question. If he was so good, from a top program, why was he not snagged up last year?

Reaction Score
Serious question. If he was so good, from a top program, why was he not snagged up last year?

Could have been the stigma from the scandal. Or he didn't have any contacts to get a position after not being retained. Instead of sitting out a season, he helped out a former colleague at Lock Haven.

Like I said earlier, the 5 minute google search I did indicated he was well liked by recruits and players. That is good enough for me at this point. Nothing to indicate it is a poor hire.

Reaction Score
Could have been the stigma from the scandal. Or he didn't have any contacts to get a position after not being retained. Instead of sitting out a season, he helped out a former colleague at Lock Haven.

Like I said earlier, the 5 minute google search I did indicated he was well liked by recruits and players. That is good enough for me at this point. Nothing to indicate it is a poor hire.

Fair points but one would think it was more stigma than lack of contacts. Then again you would think his contact list would trump the stigma.

Ok...now I'm confused.

Reaction Score
Offensive line is a different animal than WR and RB. I would say of all the position coaches on a team, WR and RB have the least impact on their units.

That would explain why Cersosimo takes so much crap on this board then.

Reaction Score
Coach Buggs' resume

Recruiting Areas: Connecticut, Eastern New York, Tidewater Virginia, Georgia, San Diego, and Texas

Like it. Connecticut, New York, and Virginia are important recruiting grounds for this team.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Some of you guys really need to back off of the constant criticism of the football program. It's not constructive at all...it's destructive. If your intent is to make life as miserable as possible for the team and fans alike then unfortunately your succeeding.

Reaction Score
Buggs was an EXCELLENT recruiter at PSU. If this was a DB hire I would like it a lot! As a rb coach..scratching my head!

Reaction Score
Buggs was an EXCELLENT recruiter at PSU. If this was a DB hire I would like it a lot! As a rb coach..scratching my head!

Not foreign territory though....

2003-2006 Offensive Graduate Assistant
The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA

2004-2006 In charge of the Running Backs
Game Day Duties: Personnel substitutions and play signals

2003 In charge of the Tight Ends
Game Day Duties: Press box Play Charting and coverage identification.

Reaction Score

In football there are complimentary positions where if you have expert knowledge of one position it can translate to the complimentary position

Like in weight lifting, you lift back and biceps on the same day because they're complimentary

If you are an expert in the secondary, your knowledge of the secondary can help coach the RBs, but besides that if you look at his resume he has a history of offensive coaching

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Okay, so it sounds like he was at least in charge of the RB's at Penn State for a couple of years, and it also sounds like he was a really good recruiter. Good enough for me...

Reaction Score
Okay, so it sounds like he was at least in charge of the RB's at Penn State for a couple of years, and it also sounds like he was a really good recruiter. Good enough for me...

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg