Kermit Buggs - New RB Coach? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kermit Buggs - New RB Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not understanding. What does the fact we had one running back to carry the load have to do with the rb coach? Do you think if Richardson was the rb coach, McCombs would have had a markedly better year? Why?

I agree with you "huskysupporter" I would like to say though that I don't think McCombs would of have had a better year, but maybe we would of seen a lot more RB rotation. The previous RB coach didn't believe in rotating the backs and I think that hurt us!

Reaction Score
I agree with you "huskysupporter" I would like to say though that I don't think McCombs would of have had a better year, but maybe we would of seen a lot more RB rotation. The previous RB coach didn't believe in rotating the backs and I think that hurt us!

Thats a HCPP thing of not rotating backs, he doesn't want a "jaguar" at the position, he said that before he coached his first game for us.

Reaction Score
Really like this hire and the weist hire, if for nothing else than that it appears we are bringing 2 very well liked recruiters into the program. There has always been an issue with our full roster talent level (we have obviously pulled some diamonds in the rough), and with the potential of playing in the black hole conference for a year or two, getting top flight kids to come here will be more difficult.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't be surprised if Buggs is also the special teams coordinator, since he has a good amount of experience. Similiar to Clayton White, however, Buggs is a much better recruiter, and I think he has much more recruiting contacts (than clayton white, I don't recall white bringing in any players) from coaching in the B10 for many years. He's the guy that got Malik Golden to go the PSU over uconn. We need to win these battles in the future. I like the hire. PP is catching on to something now with the Weist and Buggs hires. We need strong recruiters.

Reaction Score
If Buggs is that good a recruiter, then great. I still would have preferred a former RB to get the job, but we'll see what Buggs brings to the table.

Also, recruiting to Penn State is not recruiting to UConn. Newsflash, getting Golden, Fhortt and Redd to Penn State over UConn wasn't very difficult.

Reaction Score
Wasn't fhcRE a QB in college and later became a defensive backs coach. Guys who play and then coach need to get experience somewhere to start and RB and Specials seem like a place a young guy can use his game experience and film study to his advantage coaching players. Not sure how fhcRE got on the defensive side of ball but would expect that being QB in college and much revolving around "beating" defensive backs would have given him a good start as DB coach. OL maybe start with TE's where they have good blocking knowledge and get to learn more about receiving.

As noted, its all about recruiting. I could coach Trent Richardson better than any hire is going to do with LM.

Reaction Score
Just throwing this out there ... but most football players grew up playing on both sides of the ball ... even thru high school. So why is it a stretch for a college coach to be competent and knowledegable about 2 positions?

Reaction Score
If anyone has questions about whether this hire is a bad idea due to him having a DB background, turn on NFL network right now and see the drill they are running....

DBs vs RBs

Reaction Score
If anyone has questions about whether this hire is a bad idea due to him having a DB background, turn on NFL network right now and see the drill they are running....

DBs vs RBs

Who cares... We're UCONN.. not the NFL... like someone else posted on twitter the Clayton White experiment as RB coach was a failure...why's it so doggone hard to get a former RB to coach our RB's? UCONN is the only school I know of in a BCS conference doing that. If there any other schools doing that and having success doing it somebody please point them out...

Reaction Score
Who cares... We're UCONN.. not the NFL... like someone else posted on twitter the Clayton White experiment as RB coach was a failure...why's it so doggone hard to get a former RB to coach our RB's? UCONN is the only school I know of in a BCS conference doing that. If there any other schools doing that and having success doing it somebody please point them out...

Well the question you have to ask yourself is what are you looking for the RBs coach to coach the players on

you can't coach vision
you can't coach speed
The offensive line is responsible for opening up the holes

You are coaching them blocking technique among other things such as film study, you don't need to be a prior RB for film study and what better way to coach blocking technique then someone who knows what the guys you're supposed to be blocking will try to do to you

Reaction Score
Texas - Ken Rucker:

A native of Morristown, Tenn., Rucker earned a bachelor's degree in physical education from Carson-Newman College in 1976. A standout defensive player for the Eagles, he was named the Most Valuable Player in 1976, all-conference as a linebacker in 1975 and Most Valuable Defensive Lineman in 1974. In April of 2009, Rucker was named to the Carson-Newman Football Hall of Fame.

That was after 2 minutes of research

Reaction Score
Well the question you have to ask yourself is what are you looking for the RBs coach to coach the players on

you can't coach vision
you can't coach speed
The offensive line is responsible for opening up the holes

You are coaching them blocking technique among other things such as film study, you don't need to be a prior RB for film study and what better way to coach blocking technique then someone who knows what the guys you're supposed to be blocking will try to do to you

I understand all of that bro... but ask yourself this: Have you seen any of the other BCS schools WITHOUT a RB coach that actually played the position at the college (and maybe even pro ) level? Until somebody can tell me otherwise I ain't buyin it... The only thing that will finally put this to bed is if we see production post the T-Richardson era from not just a 5'8 160lbs back... Say what you want guys.. Spin every whichaway you like. If we have another season where McCombs is the main and ONLY guy producing we got a problem...

Reaction Score
... and that will be avoided by having a running back coach who played running back in college??

No, we avoid that by recruiting better running backs! T Richardson did not create any RBs. We (he?) recruited NFL caliber RBs, and then they played really well while he was the coach. Miami has average less YPC in the two years Richardson has been there compared to the year before he got there (4.8 in 2010 vs 4.4 and 4.7 in 2011 and 2012). Has Richardson all of the sudden forgot his magical touch?

RBs are born, and their production is also a factor of both the system and the OL. OL's are made. OL coach is a very important coaching position. RB coach is not. He appears to be a good recruiter. Hopefully he can recruit some RBs. I am happy with this.

Reaction Score
... and that will be avoided by having a running back coach who played running back in college??
No... Not my point bro.. not at all...

Let's leave it at my FIRST point... which nobody's been able to answer or respond too... I guess UCONN will be the only school trying to prove they can have a solid FBS level running game with a RB coach who didn't play the position... It has nothing to do with the player... and btw HobokenHusky, nice analysis on T Richardson now that he's at the U... But if he were still here I'd take that 4.4 in 2011 & 4.7 in 2012 any day over what are ypc average currently is...

Reaction Score
I understand all of that bro... but ask yourself this: Have you seen any of the other BCS schools WITHOUT a RB coach that actually played the position at the college (and maybe even pro ) level? Until somebody can tell me otherwise I ain't buyin it... The only thing that will finally put this to bed is if we see production post the T-Richardson era from not just a 5'8 160lbs back... Say what you want guys.. Spin every whichaway you like. If we have another season where McCombs is the main and ONLY guy producing we got a problem...

First off, I highly doubt that you know anything about the composition of other college staffs, so you're just guessing about other the RB coaches at other schools.

After researching it, Texas and Oklahoma both have RB coaches that didn't play the position in college.

Michigan and Nebraska have RB coaches that didn't play the position in college.

Oregon, Alabama, and USC all have RB coaches who played fullback in college.

Stanford's RB coach didn't play the position.

Texas A&M's running back coach from this past season never played the position.

Florida's RB coach didn't play the position. Georgia's RB coach didn't play the position.

I can go on if you want.

Reaction Score
Many people who object with this hire only because he didn't play the running back position in college are out of touch right now. Would it be great to have a coach who was a former D1 All-American for every position job there is, sure, but its not realistic at all. Chip Kelly didn't even play college football and he was one of the best coaches in country last year. Like someone said earlier many of these coaches have played these positions at some point during their careers dating back to high school and even if they haven't this is why they have thousands of hours of coaches meetings. So the head coaches and the offensive coordinators can discuss the techniques they want to teach and how they want to teach them. To communicate to from the top down through the bottom. And when it isn't working they have coaches meetings every night to discuss how they are going to change their teaching methods. Its a constant process. But a coach not ever playing the position at a high level is irrelevant. He will simply regurgitate the info the head coach and coordinators want and he looks for the points of emphasis that has been taught to him. And throughout his coaching career he deciphers which techniques and skill cues he wants to focus on. By a few years alone of going through meetings he has hundreds of ways to break down skills and teach the techniques.

Reaction Score
No... Not my point bro.. not at all...

Let's leave it at my FIRST point... which nobody's been able to answer or respond too... I guess UCONN will be the only school trying to prove they can have a solid FBS level running game with a RB coach who didn't play the position... It has nothing to do with the player... and btw HobokenHusky, nice analysis on T Richardson now that he's at the U... But if he were still here I'd take that 4.4 in 2011 & 4.7 in 2012 any day over what are ypc average currently is...

Look - I'd like to have TR back but it didn't happen. KB looks like a recruiting HR and I'd rather have that.

Using the fact that he didn't play RB in college as a basis to trash the hire is wrong. He has coached RB @ a B1G program. You don't like the hire - it's your right. Just flawed reasoning

Oh - Look @ Mississippi State RB coach as well. Coach was a QB in college just like the Bugg and coached WR most of his career.

Reaction Score
Give the guy a bloody chance.

Who are we to judge a coach's ability.

Reaction Score
Thats a HCPP thing of not rotating backs, he doesn't want a "jaguar" at the position, he said that before he coached his first game for us.

And the RB agreed with that philosophy. I read an article on the courant that talked about the RB's coach and how he didn't like rotating the backs.

Reaction Score
Look - I'd like to have TR back but it didn't happen. KB looks like a recruiting HR and I'd rather have that.

Using the fact that he didn't play RB in college as a basis to trash the hire is wrong. He has coached RB @ a B1G program. You don't like the hire - it's your right. Just flawed reasoning

Oh - Look @ Mississippi State RB coach as well. Coach was a QB in college just like the Bugg and coached WR most of his career.

Not trashing the KB hire whatsoever... just not thrilled about the position he's coaching, that's all... We need a guy that can recruit big time... btw, at least the guy the coahed at MSU coached on offense.. but, oh wait, how good is MSU????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom