Kermit Buggs - New RB Coach? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kermit Buggs - New RB Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Texas - Ken Rucker:

A native of Morristown, Tenn., Rucker earned a bachelor's degree in physical education from Carson-Newman College in 1976. A standout defensive player for the Eagles, he was named the Most Valuable Player in 1976, all-conference as a linebacker in 1975 and Most Valuable Defensive Lineman in 1974. In April of 2009, Rucker was named to the Carson-Newman Football Hall of Fame.

That was after 2 minutes of research

Nice find... Now show me a guy around KB's age...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Sometimes you have to just stop, think, and not post.

I am think the hire is very good with his connections here and in Va.

Reaction Score
btw, at least the guy the coahed at MSU coached on offense.. but, oh wait, how good is MSU????

Nice find... Now show me a guy around KB's age...

When confronted with facts - Not young enough, not proficient enough offense... cripes. :confused:

backstroking.gif

That's backstroking if you got distracted :)

Reaction Score
Texas and their stable of five Star backs might not need a RB coach. We do.

I'll give KB the benefit of the doubt for now, but I didn't like the Clayton White hire, and that didn't turn out very good.

Reaction Score
Anyone suggesting that we are at ANY disadvantage for having a RB coach who didn't play Running Back in college is, simply put, wrong.

Out of 69 BCS Schools (plus Boise State), guess how many Running Backs coaches actually played RB in college? 24 (and I was generous and included fullbacks as running backs). Yes, you read that correctly. About a third (34.7%) of all major college RB coaches actually played RB or FB in college.

And yes, I do understand how sad it is that I actually looked this up. But with an argument so weak and grounded in nothing but some antiquated high school football mindset, I had to come with facts.

Backstroke on out of this argument.

Thanks.

Reaction Score
Anyone suggesting that we are at ANY disadvantage for having a RB coach who didn't play Running Back in college is, simply put, wrong.

Out of 69 BCS Schools (plus Boise State), guess how many Running Backs coaches actually played RB in college? 24 (and I was generous and included fullbacks as running backs). Yes, you read that correctly. About a third (34.7%) of all major college RB coaches actually played RB or FB in college.

And yes, I do understand how sad it is that I actually looked this up. But with an argument so weak and grounded in nothing but some antiquated high school football mindset, I had to come with facts.

Backstroke on out of this argument.

Thanks.

So it's your opinion that there is no conceivable advantage to having a former RB as your RB coach, correct?

Would it be okay if not everyone shares that opinion?

Thanks.

Reaction Score
No mention of wallpaper. That right there is an improvement.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
When confronted with facts - Not young enough, not proficient enough offense... cripes. :confused:

View attachment 2113

That's backstroking if you got distracted :)

...and my wife thinks I come here to talk about football...

Oh and regarding the RB coach hire, I'm about as far from an insider as you can get, so I can only hope that somebody, somewhere in the program knows something about football and can make a reasonable decision about a coaching hire (fingers crossed).

Reaction Score
So it's your opinion that there is no conceivable advantage to having a former RB as your RB coach, correct?

Thanks.

That is absolutely my position as far as coaching the position.

And of course it is okay to have a differing opinion. This board would be boring if everyone agreed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I got to hand it to you. If someone made me look that dumb, I wouldn't keep calling attention to it.

But you are willing to go all-in on stupid.

That's exactly what most think of us UCONN football fans anyways so keep piling on bro...

Husky fan til I die... My initial issue was misunderstood from the beginning... typical of this board... So, I play along... Some of you are a little too sensitive at times... Relax... It's just a football team that we hope we finally get its head out of its a** and take the next step...

Bottom line: we all really know jack*** about what's going on behind the seens and are entitled to our views and post them as we please... Don't know you and anybody else on this board from Adam other than that ( or maybe I do.. might gone to UCONN at the same time and we were in a few classes together way back when ).

Go Huskies

Reaction Score
I want to go on record that ALL hires are bad no matter who they are so if it turns out they are bad I can win message board arguments. And if they turn out good I will just say we got lucky with recruiting.

Being a pessimist is the easy way out. . . .. we suck and you are right, we win and you are happy we win. There is absolutely no risk.

and, just to clarify, being an optimist is very different than having blinders on. There are very very obvious things that we need to improve as a program, starting with the gameday experience (AND THE MICKEY MOUSE SCOREBOARD/DJ DOG POUND), but in regard to these hires. . . . . when you combine available historical data, and where are as a program perception wise. . . .... these are great hires. Chip Kelly is not walking through that door guys. Maybe we have the next Chip Kelly? Who knows.

Nutmeg State - You are def entitled to your opinion that having a former RB as RB coach is an advantage to coaching the position, but multiple people have just brought forth actual facts that speak to the contrary. If you choose to ignore these facts and keep the same opinion, that is your choice, but no one should be called out for bringing facts to the argument.

Reaction Score
I will bash Pasqualoni till the cows come home, but this hire doesn't seem that bad. If you are coaching at this level, and you can't coach more than one position then you shouldn't be coaching at this level.

We haven't been to a bowl in ages, we are barely in a conference. The Head Coach is probably gone by December 1. The program is in worse shape than it was three years ago. Who do you think we're gonna get?

Reaction Score
He's got a twitter account @KBuggs4

There are a lot of people congratulating him on a new coaching position.....looks like it may be official soon

Reaction Score

Thanks.

Honest question: would you rather have had UConn hire a graduate assistant at an FCS school that played running back?

Reaction Score
So we're still short one coach. Maybe P is saving best for last.

I will bash Pasqualoni till the cows come home
-ZooCougar

You need to cut Coach P some slack. He was contracted to build a program and you just don't wave a magic wand and make it happen overnight so you can sit there and pout and stamp your feet and act like a spoiled 5 year old all you want. If Burton couldn't get his way what do you think your hate rants are going to accomplish? LOL...what a joke!

Reaction Score
So we're still short one coach. Maybe P is saving best for last.

-ZooCougar

You need to cut Coach P some slack. He was contracted to build a program and you just don't wave a magic wand and make it happen overnight so you can sit there and pout and stamp your feet and act like a spoiled 5 year old all you want. If Burton couldn't get his way what do you think your hate rants are going to accomplish? LOL...what a joke!

If you read this board, fhcRE built a program at Uconn. PP was hired to take it to the next level, which was assumed to be up.

Reaction Score
Honest question: would you rather have had UConn hire a graduate assistant at an FCS school that played running back?

Why would this hypothetical coach have to come from an FCS program?

Maybe Buggs can do it all, and at least, upon further review, he does have some history on the offensive side of the ball, unlike Clayton White.

If he can recruit, great. Our stable of backs is borderline sad at the moment. I think KTuck, and myself, are just thinking we could use all the help we can get back there right now.

Reaction Score
Imagine if this guy actually played QB, maybe the niners wouldn't have such a QB controversy.

http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches/geep-chryst/3ac62f4d-a289-46f6-bc9f-031f34771f8c
...Chryst helped guide QB Alex Smith to his best NFL season in 2011. Smith set career highs in passing yards (3,144), completions (273), and passer rating (90.7). He also set the franchise record for fewest interceptions thrown in a single-season with just five. Smith’s five interceptions are tied for third in NFL history (min. 400 atts.) and his interception percentage of 1.1 also ranks third in NFL history (min. 400 atts.). Most importantly, he posted a 14-4 overall record as the starter, in 2011.

With over 20 years of coaching experience, including 18 years in the NFL, Chryst most recently served as the tight ends/offensive quality control coach for the Carolina Panthers (2006-10). In 2009, Chryst was part of an offensive coaching staff that helped the Panthers become the first team in the history of the NFL to garner two running backs with more than 1,100 yards rushing in the same season. His tight end unit also posted the most productive receiving season for Panthers tight ends in a decade that year.

Before joining Carolina in 2006, Chryst served as the Arizona Cardinals quarterbacks coach (2001-03) and San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach (1999-2000). Chryst implemented the no-huddle offense in San Diego in 1999, which led to Harbaugh enjoying the second-highest passing output (2,761 passing yards) of his 15-year career. The Chargers also completed the most passes (332) in 13 years with Chryst directing the offense and Harbaugh became the first quarterback in team history since Hall of Famer Dan Fouts to pass for 400 yards in a game, that year.

Chryst spent three seasons with the Cardinals, serving as the team’s tight ends coach from 1996-97 before becoming the quarterbacks coach in 1998. He began his NFL coaching career with the Chicago Bears in 1991 as the director of research/quality control, a position he held until 1995. In the spring of 1992, Chryst, after being out of uniform for eight years, took a 15-day hiatus from the Bears to long snap in three playoff games for the short-handed Orlando Thunder of the World League. Interestingly, he had made his professional coaching debut with the Thunder in 1991, serving as the wide receivers/running backs coach.

Chryst began his coaching career at University of Wisconsin-Platteville in 1987 before moving over to the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1988. Chryst then spent two years at the University of Wyoming, serving as the offensive line coach in 1989 and the quarterbacks coach in 1990.

A three-year starter at linebacker for Princeton University, Chryst also played baseball for two seasons for the Tigers. He earned a bachelor’s degree in history from Princeton as well as a master’s degree in educational administration from the University of Wisconsin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom