I cannot believe our seniors | Page 5 | The Boneyard

I cannot believe our seniors

Reaction Score
I don't blame Brimah. he never gets any calls. I was glad to see him blow up. I would like to see Ollie blow up.
You're right that he doesn't seem to get many calls, but he obviously doesn't have a clue about how to change that. He can read the rule book too.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Rodney played 30 minutes and took 4 shots, missing all of them, had 3 assists and 2 turnovers.

Rodney has the look of a guy who has lost all confidence in himself. He's at the point where he's trying so hard not to make things worse that he's hardly doing anything at all.

I feel bad for him and hope he can rediscover some joy in just playing.
Nicely stated. It's tough for us to watch him but how tough have things got to be for him? At some point in time I'm hoping the majority of bashers would have your sentiment. We're fans watching the Ferrari crash. He's the Ferrari. It's sad so many people can't understand the difference between being a suffering fan or being a player struggling in their play.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You know, this really gets lost in the mix when talking about Rodney, but he's barely a half a year removed from losing someone he lived with growing up and considered his brother.

I had a very close friend pass away almost two years ago at a young age it's honestly something that is very difficult to handle. It still weighs on me and I think about my friend everyday and I'm just some guy sitting in a cubicle now; not a star on a premiere college basketball team.

Rodney does things he's done since his first season here and I know he was probably never destined for greatness here, but the kid plays hard and with that tragedy he's had to endure I gotta give him a pass. Not that he needs that from me or anyone.
I've pointed this out many times. I just hope most of the bashers haven't suffered losses so they have no frame of reference to your post because I shudder to think that humanity can be so selfish that it so easily trivializes the importance of a tragic loss for their need to be pleased about a game or a season.

Reaction Score
In 2009 it wasn't a player on Uconn that could flat out get baskets probably as good as Dyson. He was a real baller IMO. He was fearless also. It baffles me Purvis can't put the ball on the ground. He is physically gifted as hell. But he can't even dribble. It really surprises me. You don't want to question any of these kids work ethic, but I just don't see how his handle hasn't hot better.

Reaction Score
You know, this really gets lost in the mix when talking about Rodney, but he's barely a half a year removed from losing someone he lived with growing up and considered his brother.

I had a very close friend pass away almost two years ago at a young age it's honestly something that is very difficult to handle. It still weighs on me and I think about my friend everyday and I'm just some guy sitting in a cubicle now; not a star on a premiere college basketball team.

Rodney does things he's done since his first season here and I know he was probably never destined for greatness here, but the kid plays hard and with that tragedy he's had to endure I gotta give him a pass. Not that he needs that from me or anyone.
I hope this is not insensitive but I don't see how losing his friend keeps his shot from falling or double dribbling which he has done from day 1. When Thurman Munson died his close friend Bobby Murcer went out next game and jacked one to win the game. The loss should be a motivating factor if anything. An athlete at Rodney's level is exerting energy balls to the wall in a game situation, and he's going to all of a sudden as he goes up for a jump shot have a thought about his friend that makes that shot clank? Or wait, he didn't practice well because of the friend? Please. The loss of confidence from him failing, that I buy.

Reaction Score
I've pointed this out many times. I just hope most of the bashers haven't suffered losses so they have no frame of reference to your post because I shudder to think that humanity can be so selfish that it so easily trivializes the importance of a tragic loss for their need to be pleased about a game or a season.
You may be right.
But how do you know how he reacted to his best his friend's death. After the initial jolt, perhaps it gave him a deeper appreciation of life and increased vigor. Maybe it spurred him to use his time on this earth to be a better student, a better player (although it hasn't translated to his on-court performance), and he has discovered newfound bliss.
He received a body blow, but he may not be processing it in the same way as you think or expect.

Reaction Score
I won't comment on the game, but I feel confident in saying that season 2 was the most boring season. That being said, it was easily the most imported season.

You can rank 1-4 however you want but any list that doesn't have season 5 on the bottom is suspect.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You may be right.
But how do you know how he reacted to his best his friend's death. After the initial jolt, perhaps it gave him a deeper appreciation of life and increased vigor. Maybe it spurred him to use his time on this earth to be a better student, a better player (although it hasn't translated to his on-court performance), and he has discovered newfound bliss.
He received a body blow, but he may not be processing it in the same way as you think or expect.
Short answer is I don't really know. No one knows for sure maybe not even Rodney.

He certainly could have taken the tragedy and transformed himself with some of the things you list. I was specifically confining my statement to his on court performance.

I don't know if you read this article. It's the information I read in this article that makes me think that there is a decent probability the death of his "brother" impacted his on court performance. After reading the article if you still want to interact I'll point out the statements in the article that makes me believe the death is playing a significant role in this season.

UConn’s Rodney Purvis mourns loss of ‘brother’: ‘There’s no getting him back’

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I hope this is not insensitive but I don't see how losing his friend keeps his shot from falling or double dribbling which he has done from day 1. When Thurman Munson died his close friend Bobby Murcer went out next game and jacked one to win the game. The loss should be a motivating factor if anything. An athlete at Rodney's level is exerting energy balls to the wall in a game situation, and he's going to all of a sudden as he goes up for a jump shot have a thought about his friend that makes that shot clank? Or wait, he didn't practice well because of the friend? Please. The loss of confidence from him failing, that I buy.
I don't think your statement is insensitive. You bring valid points. I do think he's in a vicious cycle and your point of him losing confidence is at least a part of that cycle.

Season School Conf G MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2012-13
North Carolina State ACC 35 895 4.9 11.1 .442 3.6 7.6 .468 1.3 3.5 .385 1.9 3.7 .512 3.8 2.0 0.9 0.1 2.3 2.8 13.1
2014-15 UConn AAC 33 947 6.1 14.2 .429 3.8 7.9 .484 2.3 6.3 .360 1.8 3.3 .538 3.3 1.7 1.1 0.2 2.6 2.5 16.2
2015-16 UConn AAC 36 1038 6.3 14.5 .434 3.6 7.5 .479 2.7 7.0 .385 2.5 3.8 .657 4.1 2.9 1.2 0.2 2.1 2.7 17.8
2016-17 UConn AAC 18 660 4.4 13.4 .330 2.4 6.1 .390 2.1 7.3 .281 2.2 2.8 .783 5.1 2.8 0.7 0.1 2.6 2.2 13.1

The shooting percentages are significantly different from the other years of playing college bb which argues against one of the point you've made. Something impacted those numbers. Now FT% has gone up so shooting isn't completely affected. His rebounding has improved so he's obviously working hard.

In general, we perform better when we feel good. There have been enough studies to demonstrate this. Most of us probably can confirm this based on our own experiences. I have to make a leap from the information I read to conclude that Rodney did not have his heart in the game playing bb at least through Maui based on this article. But I don't feel it's a ridiculous leap.

Reaction Score
He needs to be the 2nd option for the rest of the year. Inside/outside game with Jalen and Facey and then allow Purvis and Vance to be standstill shooters. That's when those two are at their best. I'm so done with watching Purvis trying to take people off the dribble; we all know he struggles to finish as it is and I honestly do not remember him ever hitting a J off the bounce.
Purvis? He's the Cadillac, no? He's a senior and he's still tryi g to figure things out? Unbelievable. And Brimah? Any sightings?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Why is this shocking to believe that we have two seniors who just aren't that good at basketball...? It happens granted rarely at UConn but our seniors are horrible (excluding Facey). However, we saw signs of this coming and we should have expected this. Rodney was never really a playmaker, he didn't really ever get guys involved. Amida was never the player to stay on the court when he was needed the most...yes he had some flashes but he was never really that guy....

Reaction Score
Why is this shocking to believe that we have two seniors who just aren't that good at basketball...? It happens granted rarely at UConn but our seniors are horrible (excluding Facey). However, we saw signs of this coming and we should have expected this. Rodney was never really a playmaker, he didn't really ever get guys involved. Amida was never the player to stay on the court when he was needed the most...yes he had some flashes but he was never really that guy....
Because this shouldn't happen in a program that has 4 National Championships since '99.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

This may be shocking to you, but everyone handles death differently. Just because a professonial baseball player for the 70s hit a HR the next day doesn't set the standard for every athlete dealing with tradgedy.

If you step back for a second and look at what you'd written, I think you'll find it somewhat ridiculous. We're all guilty of it, self included, but we're here debating whether a young man in his early 20s should more easily shake off a brothers death to hit more jump shots?

Reaction Score
Just remember that if not for brimah's and 1 vs st joes, there is no national title

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Just remember that if not for brimah's and 1 vs st joes, there is no national title
That gets you a free pass in UConn lore; it does not get you a free pass for three playing years.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I won't comment on the game, but I feel confident in saying that season 2 was the most boring season. That being said, it was easily the most imported season.
No question, I don't know what that guy is talking about.

I had to quit watching The Wire twice because season 2 was so boring.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Jonathan Mandeldove
Scottie Haralson.

Does everyone feel better about Brimah and Purvis now?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Jonathan Mandeldove
Scottie Haralson.

Does everyone feel better about Brimah and Purvis now?
These guys were never the centerpiece of the front/back court for 3-4 years.

Reaction Score
Short answer is I don't really know. No one knows for sure maybe not even Rodney.

He certainly could have taken the tragedy and transformed himself with some of the things you list. I was specifically confining my statement to his on court performance.

I don't know if you read this article. It's the information I read in this article that makes me think that there is a decent probability the death of his "brother" impacted his on court performance. After reading the article if you still want to interact I'll point out the statements in the article that makes me believe the death is playing a significant role in this season.

I've reviewed the article; I may have read it before.
The interview with Rodney occurred within the immediate aftermath of his friend's passing. That was the "initial jolt" that I referred to in my first reply to you. The course of processing a difficult event such as his friend's death evolves over time. Rather than lagging in sadness, I suggest, perhaps the event launched him into a different trajectory. Perhaps through processing, it opened his heart and mind and sharpened his appeal for life. His mental state could more buoyant than you think it is. Just maybe. And his performance on the court may be hindered for other reasons.
Referring again to the article, did you not cue in to the statement by the author that Rodney found solace in playing basketball? Basketball was his refuge. It was a cocoon separating him from the reality of what had just occurred. One would think he would embrace it, cling to it and play the game of basketball with vigor.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I've reviewed the article; I may have read it before.
The interview with Rodney occurred within the immediate aftermath of his friend's passing. That was the "initial jolt" that I referred to in my first reply to you. The course of processing a difficult event such as his friend's death evolves over time. Rather than lagging in sadness, I suggest, perhaps the event launched him into a different trajectory. Perhaps through processing, it opened his heart and mind and sharpened his appeal for life. His mental state could more buoyant than you think it is. Just maybe. And his performance on the court may be hindered for other reasons.
Referring again to the article, did you not cue in to the statement by the author that Rodney found solace in playing basketball? Basketball was his refuge. It was a cocoon separating him from the reality of what had just occurred. One would think he would embrace it, cling to it and play the game of basketball with vigor.
Your take is completely plausible.

The distribution curve underpins a great deal of my thinking. Applying the distribution curve to the topic we're discussing I'm postulating after a tragedy on one end of the curve are people who can move immediately pass the event. On the other end are people who never can get pass the tragedy. Most of us fall in between needing various intervals of time before we finally can move on. The second curve is how we deal with the tragedy. On one end the impact ends up making us better (your theories about Rodney). On the other end it makes us worse. Most of us fall in between with a combination of positives and negatives.

My arguments are purely my opinions. This is a debatable exercise that I'm choosing to explore and not convince you or anyone else my position is absolute but to go into a little depth the factor that lead to my conclusion.

My experience is that sudden and unexpected deaths take much longer to get past then deaths that are expected and take place after long illnesses. So just by probabilities I'm guessing Rodney is still going through a mourning phase or at the very least was suffering a period well past that article. The salient point for me in the article was how Rodney and his brother were looking forward to meeting up in the Maui tournament.

It's not completely out of the realm of probability that everything leading up to and during that tournament brought to focus the death. Rodney could try to put on a good face and do his best to put it out of his mind, but not too many of us have that skill.

Just look how people react in these forums to insults, losses, bad play, CR, and anything else that hits are emotions. It's not easy to get past the trivial negativities in our life never mind the serious ones. For years all someone had to say was George Mason and a significant number of posters would feel their emotional anger for that loss.

So I feel that at least up to and shortly after Maui (because Maui was the focus of extreme happiness before the tragedy) Rodney did not have his heart in the game. At some time after Maui he tried to force his passion back. I'm not sure he was successful but his attempt to will himself back probably exacerbated his situation.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
"At least we've still got Geno and the girls."

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
In a game where we go 6 deep, one quick foul on Rodney & one on Amida.

Everything is going according to plan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom