I cannot believe our seniors | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I cannot believe our seniors

Reaction Score
After three/four years, these Purvis/Brimah threads are depressing and overwhelming, and distract from anything positive we can garner. It just might not be their fault they are not that good and could have maxed out their talent.

Well even though many people haven'tcome to this reasoning until recently, they have been the reason we have had short comings as a team the past 3-4 seasons. Purvis is a total bust (expectations wise) with the worst BBIQ for a UConn #1 option I've ever seen. And brimah at the end of the day was the 250ish recruit in his class. Everything we got is a bonus in his regard. He doesn't know how to balance his body. Zero BBIQ offensively. Has regressed in all facets this year.

These are two guys we heavily lean on.

We need to get away from all remnents of this post season ban. Then we should be working with and building on the team Ollie truly wanted and created.

I didn't watch one second of this game. Not surprised at the outcome in the least bit. When jalen doesn't get a triple double, we can't count on anyone to even be above average on an every game basis. (VJ and Facey have been playing great lately though)

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
If we are being honest, Adams has been awful tonight as well.

This is his first (maybe 2nd) bad game all year. He's a sophomore. He will be a superstar.

RP and AB are seasoned seniors, and these types of games have become a trend for them, not a 'bad night'.

Yeah, Adams didn't play well, but it's no comparison.

Reaction Score
Not even close Tens not even close
JD was a junkyard dog and gave 110% all game every game
I am quite sure if he didn't get hurt there was a very good chance for ring #5
Sure he was out of control at times but he gave his all
You do realize that he did play some ball in the NBA?
Do you think RP will even sniff the D League???

What Purvis and Dyson are both lacking isn't effort, but intelligence. Among the lowest BBIQ players ever to wear the uniform.

That said, I agree that if Dyson were healthy we win the road game in the F4 against MSU and give UNC a run for their money.

Reaction Score
What Purvis and Dyson are both lacking isn't effort, but intelligence. Among the lowest BBIQ players ever to wear the uniform.

That said, I agree that if Dyson were healthy we win the road game in the F4 against MSU and give UNC a run for their money.
Dyson was neither a low basketball IQ player nor a high IQ player. He simply wasn't cut out to be a leader after Price and Adrien graduated, but when he was a role player the year before, he made very few mistakes on either end.

Not everyone is suited to be "the guy," and that certainly appeared to be the case for Dyson as a senior. But the comparison to Purvis pretty much ends there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Lost by 15 to North Carolina, despite whatever fantasy world some people believe in.
But at least we would have beaten Sparty. Then again, that might have been dangerous. They are an ugly lot.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is his first (maybe 2nd) bad game all year. He's a sophomore. He will be a superstar.

RP and AB are seasoned seniors, and these types of games have become a trend for them, not a 'bad night'.

Yeah, Adams didn't play well, but it's no comparison.
Never knew age is a parameter in judging game play. If we make excuses for one player make them for all. If we don't believe in making excuses stay consistent.

This was a bad game for Jalen. Vance struggled on defense and rebounding. Vital left players wide open for easy shots.

Durham showed some good moves on offense, but he was slow to react on defense.

Kentan covered his player well but lacked the length which allowed his players to shoot over him consistently.

If people wanted Kentan to get more touches than the primary focus for that should be on Jalen.

No need to discuss game play of Brimah and Purvis since that's been covered and will be covered like a broken record.

It was a bad game for the team and it's probable the players have played their best games this season. I was really worried about the effect of the Georgetown loss. If fan reaction doesn't give people a clue how difficult it is to push yourself to stay optimistic with successive failures I'm not sure how to get fans to realize that players are human as well. It's a vicious cycle.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Really, we should all be totally able to believe how the seniors played, since its the same stuff they've done when they struggled for four years.

Reaction Score
That's a frustration too. Why does it take 3.5 years for him to become serviceable?

For this reason I have a hard time putting him in the "success" category as far as player development.

Facey was key player in 2014 championship team...kid went thru some tough stuff off the court aftwr that and took some time to get back to playing his game. Now, when it does matter and need him to be playing strong more than ever, he is. Cant take that away from him or fault him for things that were out of his control. IMO Facey has progressed and deserves a hell of a lot of credit. Only sr captain showing ❤ and fight.

Reaction Score
Facey was key player in 2014 championship team...kid went thru some tough stuff off the court aftwr that and took some time to get back to playing his game. Now, when it does matter and need him to be playing strong more than ever, he is. Cant take that away from him or fault him for things that were out of his control. IMO Facey has progressed and deserves a hell of a lot of credit. Only sr captain showing ❤ and fight.

He indeed deserves tremendous credit for the way he's playing now. My point is simply that as a program, we can't afford to have bigs that give us little to nothing for 3.5 years.

And your 2014 assessment is a bit off. You realize that Facey played <1 minute and scored 0 points the entire NCAA Tournament. Tolksdorf scored more points (1) than Facey did.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Facey's has been terrific.

He's always been productive relative to minutes played, especially in terms of rebounding.

His minutes dropped from 21 a game to 12 last year. I'd wonder if that was due to Facey's shortcomings, the shortcomings of the coaching staff or a combination of the two.

Reaction Score

He's always been productive relative to minutes played, especially in terms of rebounding.

His minutes dropped from 21 a game to 12 last year. I'd wonder if that was due to Facey's shortcomings, the shortcomings of the coaching staff or a combination of the two.
We were just too loaded up front last year. What coach in his right mind would keep a Rolls Royce like Phil Nolan in the garage with the engine off?

Reaction Score
Really, we should all be totally able to believe how the seniors played, since its the same stuff they've done when they struggled for four years.

Exactly. The posts should really come when they actually play well. Mediocre, often poor, play is the norm for those guys and shouldn't generate any shock at all.

Mister Wonderful

Even when I think I’m wrong, I’m right
Reaction Score
First time I can ever remember being able to watch the game and choosing not to. It's better for my own health and I'll wind up saying something really awful about Purvis and Brimah. All I'll say is I can't wait until they graduate. Time to finish season 2 of The Wire.
Best of 5 great seasons

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

The upside of Miller has to be factored

Reaction Score
I wish Kentan had another year in the worst way. He's been truly tremendous, love his effort and his ability to score the ball when given it in the right place to do so. They've done that for the most part, but you still see the weaknesses being passing and in all reality when he needs to dribble it more than one power dribble. If he had another year to work on these he may have been able to at least knock on the door to the next level, cup of coffee. He's a wing/PF who unfortunately doesn't have the handle these guys at the next level have as well as good passing ability. Maybe he keeps working hard at these and we see him come back to the USA at 27-28 with a shot?

Love the way the kid worked to get where he is right now. I mean to say "no shot he takes is a bad thing" right now is a great leap. Trust him to shoot it anywhere.

Reaction Score
I wish Kentan had another year in the worst way. He's been truly tremendous, love his effort and his ability to score the ball when given it in the right place to do so. They've done that for the most part, but you still see the weaknesses being passing and in all reality when he needs to dribble it more than one power dribble. If he had another year to work on these he may have been able to at least knock on the door to the next level, cup of coffee. He's a wing/PF who unfortunately doesn't have the handle these guys at the next level have as well as good passing ability. Maybe he keeps working hard at these and we see him come back to the USA at 27-28 with a shot?

Love the way the kid worked to get where he is right now. I mean to say "no shot he takes is a bad thing" right now is a great leap. Trust him to shoot it anywhere.

He needs to be the 2nd option for the rest of the year. Inside/outside game with Jalen and Facey and then allow Purvis and Vance to be standstill shooters. That's when those two are at their best. I'm so done with watching Purvis trying to take people off the dribble; we all know he struggles to finish as it is and I honestly do not remember him ever hitting a J off the bounce.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Brimah and Rodney are both tragically flawed players. They both play hard, but just have too many flaws in their game and combined with very below average basketball IQs makes them a liability on the court. On a good UConn team, they both could be guys that come in for a few minutes for a quick burst of energy and shot blocking for Brimah and then play Rodney if he has a hot hand, but to rely on them as starters isn't and hasn't worked.

To that point, as much as they drive me crazy with their play at times, it's more of an indictment on our program than it is these two guys.

KO has a bit of a longer leash with me than others on here, but our program is not in good shape and it's tough to get excited about next year's recruiting class with what appears to be a nice guard, but then two big men that project as projects.

Reaction Score
I do feel for Brimah & Purvis as they probably now realize they will not be NBA players, they will get paid to play basketball somewhere but likely not in the US. I'm sure that has been on their minds since they tested the waters last year and nobody noticed.

Reaction Score
Rodney did not shoot much yesterday. was that because he's not shooting well or did the coach shut him down? I mean he played like 35 minutes, didn't see the game and was just wondering.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Rodney did not shoot much yesterday. was that because he's not shooting well or did the coach shut him down? I mean he played like 35 minutes, didn't see the game and was just wondering.
Rodney played 30 minutes and took 4 shots, missing all of them, had 3 assists and 2 turnovers.

Rodney has the look of a guy who has lost all confidence in himself. He's at the point where he's trying so hard not to make things worse that he's hardly doing anything at all.

I feel bad for him and hope he can rediscover some joy in just playing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've been saying the latter. There were games last year where he would put in a productive shift and Ollie would never go back to him.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You know, this really gets lost in the mix when talking about Rodney, but he's barely a half a year removed from losing someone he lived with growing up and considered his brother.

I had a very close friend pass away almost two years ago at a young age it's honestly something that is very difficult to handle. It still weighs on me and I think about my friend everyday and I'm just some guy sitting in a cubicle now; not a star on a premiere college basketball team.

Rodney does things he's done since his first season here and I know he was probably never destined for greatness here, but the kid plays hard and with that tragedy he's had to endure I gotta give him a pass. Not that he needs that from me or anyone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom