Hurley meeting media today | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley meeting media today

Reaction Score
but his point still stands, the 9th through 13th guys on the team have to be content with not playing much if at all, like springs has been. otherwise they have the option to just pack up and leave now.

i think there is/was a 99% chance floyd entered this season as the 9th man on the roster. sure he coulda played ~10 mpg but the players we'll have can easily absorb that time.

1) sanogo, 2) newton, 3) jackson, 4) hawkins, 5) transfer guard?, 6) johnson, 7) karaban, 8) castle?, 9) floyd, 10) clingan, 11) springs

whatever developmental depth piece we get to replace floyd shouldnt be the difference between winning a tourney game or not this season
So he was 9th behind players to be named later and others with basically no minutes or no outside shot? Okay I'll buy that.

Reaction Score
This can be spun any way he/you want. Losing 4 players is not a good look. Some holes to fill. I am not saying this is the beginning of the end by any means. He did get the ECU transfer and there are some good players to be had. we'll see when the dust settles. Even if he fills the gaps, there will still be the post season issue to make a real move in the tourney. Work to be done for sure.

Reaction Score
“I’m going to tell them where they are at in their careers and what we are thinking in terms of adding to the program”
This says it all. Hurley might not have all the incoming transfers he wants locked down like Newton was, but for the current players’ benefit he lets them know what he’s thinking even if it might end up biting him on the ass.

At the end of this season he communicated to the team that he wanted a couple new Gs, which Floyd, diggins and gaffney didn’t like hearing so they all left. Doesn’t Hurley deserve credit for not catching the current players off guard before recruiting over them?

Reaction Score
Il
this is the balancing act Hurley needs to figure out but it's not going to happen overnight. with the new transfer rule it remains to be seen if even a coach like Wright can keep holding on to guys like antoine and patterson without playing them, as he's notorious for.

for now i tend to agree with you. any given year i want the top 8 guys in the rotation to be 4 and 5 star recruits and immediate impact transfers and the rest of the guys to be 3* depth pieces that either grow into upperclassmen contributors or transfer without much consequence.

next year floyd was looking like the 9th guy in the rotation, at best. in other words, as a top 100 RS frosh on the edge of the rotation he's exactly the type of guy that's likely to transfer out due to the new rule and it shouldnt come as a surprise going forward
l take a 3* 4 year player who starts senior year with a stud freshman behind him. Hurley needs to hit the gas and tap the brakes as to not overcook those types of recruits. But his development of low ranked has yet to be seen. Personally I hope Hurley just lets his staff do what they do best and know his place is to manage ALL the talent and personalities.

Reaction Score
but his point still stands, the 9th through 13th guys on the team have to be content with not playing much if at all, like springs has been. otherwise they have the option to just pack up and leave now.

i think there is/was a 99% chance floyd entered this season as the 9th man on the roster. sure he coulda played ~10 mpg but the players we'll have can easily absorb that time.

1) sanogo, 2) newton, 3) jackson, 4) hawkins, 5) transfer guard?, 6) johnson, 7) karaban, 8) castle?, 9) floyd, 10) clingan, 11) springs

whatever developmental depth piece we get to replace floyd shouldnt be the difference between winning a tourney game or not this season
Just find a senior who loves college too much to leave.

Reaction Score
Intersting the article states bringing in 4 more players. Will be interesting who we bring in.
i think we still need 5, but that's not as daunting as it sounds. should mean 2 more rotation players, 2 depth pieces, and 1 reclass redshirt.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
alla youse, talking aboot typo ex post facto, and by a lot of wasted years.
and now aj, above, talking 'I really think we're going to have one of the best backcourts in the country, if not the best"
then danny, blathering on aboot
'Not a lot a of schools in the country that wouldn’t want to trade their best four for our best four.'
it's all just getting to be a bit much.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think we can all agree now that Gaffney's minutes were going to decline and he wanted to play somewhere. Would have liked him to finish his career here mentoring younger guys but it's his life, no issues with him looking for a new home.

Same for Diggins, it was clear he wasn't anywhere near this level. It certainly showed in games and it's a near certainty it showed up in practice. If he minds his mouth, No one should hate on him.

As for Akok, but I think he may be looking for an opportunity to make his case for the NBA. That wasn't happening here as a 3rd center and part-time stretch 4. I think it a real longshot, but again, it's his life.

Floyd is the interesting one, it looks a lot like he thought he was getting the keys and he got scared/offended of Hurley bringing in a proven PG in addition to the competition from a higher rated recruit in Castle, whether he shows up this year or next. I would hope after a year of practice, Hurley was straight with him on his projected status. A RSFr really shouldn't expect to play 35 minutes a game unless you are killing it in practice. (cue the Ferrari in the garage quotes). It would have been malpractice if Hurley didn't bring in a starting caliber transfer and the best one he could find. I think this has more to do with Castle and his behind the scenes performance than Newton, but then again, these are kids who come in with very high opinions of themselves so it's anyone's guess. I have no reason to think he won't be good wherever he ends up. Dan just needs to avoid a Ryan Gomes situation.
You say Ferrari and he is literally a lower end version of purvis

Reaction Score
i think we still need 5, but to me that means 2 more rotation players, 2 depth pieces, and 1 reclass redshirt.
I just don't see us bringing in 5 especially with how many players we have now and know we are going to keep spots open for 2023 players too.

Reaction Score
I just don't see us bringing in 5 especially with how many players we have now and know we are going to keep spots open for 2023 players too.
we have 8 players now dont we? no reason not to use all 13 schollys. we could also land another senior transfer or grad transfer that would only be here for a year (like newton) and we'll prob lose another player or two to the portal next offseason! roster turnover is a given.

Reaction Score
Akok lost his lateral quickness and his jumping ability which was his main strength. He could not put the ball on the floor and create his own shot. Essentially, after his injury, he became a taller Polley. He’s a good guy but we need more. One dimensional players aren’t going to cut it
He had no defensive awareness aside from a good block. He was always getting barked at for being out of position and was constantly out muscled despite adding some size. I loved Akok. But the fact he stopped improving led to our bench weakening as a whole. The dream line up if adama Akok Ajax Hawkins and ?? Never came to pass.

Reaction Score
The dream line up if adama Akok Ajax Hawkins and ??
and Cole but now Newton. i thought that was gonna be our starting lineup that made it to the final 4 next year...sigh.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score

1649999866591.gif

Reaction Score
Hurley was definitely surprised by the cfj transfer. You would have to assume that the article pumping him up would have been squashed had they known about the transfer.

Reaction Score
No it’s different. One semester v and entire year. And summer. You are equating things that aren’t equal
They don’t need to be equal, they are similar. At a minimum, Floyd and Karaban both came here knowing that redshirting was a possibility.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to read all the replies but Akok was a great kid. He worked hard to get back to what he was as a freshman, but fell short thus far. Even as a freshman while he was bouncier and the potential oozed he wasn't a great basketball player as of yet, but it was coming. Having lost some of the bounce and a step or so things so far haven't been the same. Impressed he could make a stand still jumper at a nice % and still made some nice shot blocks off the ball. But he was lost on D, got beat off the dribble quite often, gave up baseline easy and was unable to take anyone off the dribble on O. Would liked for him to stick around to see if he improves or even still offer that guy off the bench which would be nice. But as far as not playing him enough, nah I got Dannys back on this one. There were a couple games yeah I would agree, but not enough to have kept him here. Is what it is, hope the kid does well he deserves a fresh start!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think this is a hot seat year for Hurley, another early exit and he's toast & he knows it. Not ideal for all concerned but it seems to be the reality of whats ahead.
Another first game loss and he’s on the hot seat, but unless he pulls a KO and starts phoning it in, he’s in no jeopardy lose his job over the next year.

Reaction Score
Hawkins with a Handle

Ajax with a consistent jump shot

This team takes a major step forward if both of those actually happen. Regardless, I believe this is AJax's last year before jumping to the league, hopefully he can become one of the top guys in the nation, everything is set for him to succeed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom